The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sorry, what does BNT mean?

if it is a clinic organized by a private barn - then they get to choose (subject to their agreement with the clinician) - they organized, paid, risked,......thus, they choose

if it is a clinic organized by a gmo or club - that's a whole different matter
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

As an AA, it seems more typically the other way around - the AAs want to ride in a clinic, but have to apply (often with video and competition resume), and they are not selected due to a preference for the pros - the focus is really on the auditors, and the clinician and riders are there to demonstrate the clinician's techniques to the auditors.

So, if this clinician is willing to teach lower level AAs, I think that's a nice change and a wonderful opportunity for the AAs - they are smart to want to take advantage of that. Kudos to both the clinician and the AAs for doing it!

If the clinician doesn't enjoy teaching AAs, it is up to the clinician to tell the organizer to modify the selection process to allow for more pros. If the clinician doesn't take that step, then I think you have your answer - the pros who want to ride so desperately are either underestimating the skills of the AAs or overestimating their own skills, or it may be the clinician's preference, for some (presumably unfathomable) reason to teach lower level AAs now and then.

Anyway, it strikes me as kinda refreshing.
    Treat Jockey for Spellbound and Smidgeon

another scenario that I've seen

Organizer finds a Clinician that is not yet BNT - likes their teaching style and has them come back on a regular basis

Clinician goes on to become BNT - then all and sundry clamor to get into the clinics which have been consistentlyfilled for many moons and which the masses never showed interest in before

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Quote Originally Posted by AmericaRunsOnDunkin View Post
    Big Name Trainer

I think angel made a good observation - why aren't the local pros developing AAs that can ride well enough not to be "wasting" the BNT's time? I put "wasting" in quotes because I think any clinician worth his or her salt will teach the person who's paying the fee to the best of his or her ability. Time spent improving one's riding is never wasted, IMHO.

My suggestion is that you organize your own clinics, and fill them with whomever you want. If there are that many people who want to ride with BNTs, you shouldn't have any problem filling your own clinics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

Quote Originally Posted by AmericaRunsOnDunkin View Post
    BNT = big name trainer

There is a whole section of acronyms in the frequently asked questions (FAQ's) thread under the main group in the 'technical section'

Oops Sillyhorse beat me too it!!
    "All I pay my psychiatrist is the cost of feed and hay and he'll listen to me anyday" author unknown

Got to agree - if you don't like it, organize your own clinic and you can only let pros ride in it since it is your clinic. And you will find out what a PITA it is to organize clinics!
    Last edited by inca; May. 9, 2007 at 01:31 PM.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

What does AA and GMO mean? Since it wasn't in the thread posted above.

adult amateur

group member organization (of usdf = united states dressage federation)

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Having organzied a lot of clinics, you have to appreciate the organizers perspective on this. It's not that it's always a cliche. Usually it's because the people who first made the commitment with their funds are still the people they can count on to keep the clinic full and make it possible for them to keep bringing the clinician back. It's not democratic, it's good business. You don't let people vote new people in, you keep the good customers happy so you can keep bringing in your clinician. If the trainers/instructors want to ride, then they have to get on the list or be very flexible and willing to fill a last minute opening (to move up to the top of that list).

If you're really upset, then I agree with what someone else said. Bring in your own BNT. There are plenty out there who are really good. Organize your own clinic. You'll reap the benefit of the rewards, and you'll also have walked a mile in the organizer's shoes.
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

So, whats so hard???? Hire the bnt yourself for the proffi group.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Look, if those professionals in question really want to train with the BNT, then they should organize their own clinic and do it invitation only with anyone able to come audit or add on days to existing clinics. It is not rocket science.

Smile

In my neck of the woods....

BNT are brought in by local successful trainers....usually it's the local trainers regular trainer. In order to secure them coming back repeatedly, the local trainer fills the spots w/the his/her students first. Then opens up the left over spots to outside students.

My suggestion......

If this is someone that you really want to ride with. Send a DVD or video clip of you and your horse to the BNT. Along w/a really nice accurate description of your horse, you and your goals. Tell them your willing to do what it takes to ride w/them on a regular basis.

It's really up to the BNT to decide. But IMHO...if you and your horse and interesting.....they will find a way to make it happen. If they are traveling in maybe you could get a lesson the night before....or maybe they would be willing to stay an extra hour to accommodate you.

If they won't do it....they maybe it's time for the Professionals in your area to band together and bring in a BNT just for the group.

Anyway....I am interested in finding out how you get this resolved. Good Luck!

b
    Last edited by Gucci Cowgirl; May. 15, 2007 at 09:49 AM.

I organize a BNT clinic, sometimes monthly in the summer, whenever we can get him. I have often extended an invite to the pros in the area, I have advertised, etc. Only one local pro has ever wanted to ride in the clinic. I would be happy to work the local pros into the clinic, but no takers.

b
    Last edited by Gucci Cowgirl; May. 15, 2007 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gucci Cowgirl View Post
    4th time now, this BNT has NO EXTRA TIME!!

In my original post, I asked for opinions on how to help the AA's understand that while we love the fact that they are dedicated to their riding, it is more beneficial for us as their trainers to clinic with the BNT, and then we can apply whatever it is that they need, to their daily lessons.

Plus, AA's usually take regular lessons, so wouldnt it be better for their trainer to help them every day on things that the BNT has taught them, rather than one lesson from BNT every 6 weeks?
    FIND SOMEONE ELSE.

For a good amount of money and enough advance notice, you can get someone else, someone that is a BNT, and likely someone JUST AS GOOD. You're just whining and not doing anything, and whenever anyone suggests something, you say "No."

If you can't learn from anyone else, it's because you don't really want to.

even if you convinced one or more of the AAs to give up their regular spot to you and/or your 'more deserving' buddies - does not mean that those that it 'is more beneficial' according to your opinion would be the ones to get the slots

you need to talk with the ORGANIZER OF THE CLINIC rather than telling the AAs that they are wasting clinician's time

"Locally, we have a BNT come in every 6 weeks, for 2 days, ...... if the local trainers were able to take advantage of this great opportunity. Unfortunately, only 2 of the riders in the clinics are professionals."

who is "we" - who organizes/decides?

I can see your point of view, but it offends me. I am an AA. I have a regular weekly coach and I organize a clinic with a BNT, who both my coach AND I ride with. I take the financial risk of not filling the clinic, as well as the reward of having a secured clinic spot. If, at some point, our BNT became so popular that I had pros banging down the door wanting to ride and insisting I give up my clinic spot for them and take all my teaching from them, I would tell them, politely, to eff off.

My own trainer admits that the BNT is better than ANYONE locally. That is why they are a BNT. That is why trainers want to ride with them. That is why I want to ride with them. BTW, I am not taking up/down lessons. LOL!

BTW, one of the biggest holes in training locally is the failure to really understand, teach and train correct basics and a true understanding of the training scale. When a BNT is teaching someone that is not a pro, it is easier for them (and more Politically Correct than when they are working with a pro) to focus on the basics and I find that, personally, more interesting to watch than clinics full of pros. Generally speaking, when I watch a clinic full of pros, most who NEED work on their basics, the BNT is not going to embarrass those pros or touch it with a ten foot pole. If they do, they are not asked back. So generally, when the pros are riding in the clinics there is no guarantee that their own riding and training is going to get enhanced enough for trickle down to the masses. That is your argument, but it often doesn't happen IRL.

Finally, I do not understand why you cannot get the organizer to ask the BNT to add two more rides. My BNT will do a minimum of 8 or a maximum of 10 rides. The rides are 40 minutes.