The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Default BNT Clinics being dominated by AA's

b
    Last edited by Gucci Cowgirl; May. 15, 2007 at 09:48 AM.

is it first-come first-serve?

If not, it probably should be. And then the professionals just need to pay attention and sign up quickly.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Could you encourage the BNT to come up an additional time to teach the pros in the area? Or to alternate: one session pros only, other session aa's?
    Katie E
    Sadly horseless for a little while

It sounds like something is amiss with the organization. I know at some clinics they will try to mix up the levels being shown so that auditors get the most out of the clinic (as do the riders). The organizers should limit the amount of lower level lessons at the clinic and reserve some spots for the upper levels (which I'm guessing would be the pro's in this situation).

Or the BNT does an invitation-only clinic for professionals only.

Maybe 1 day for AA and 1 day for professionals?

Is there a reason why this BNT can't dictate who they teach?

You are assuming that the professional riders would take those spots if open. Are you sure that's true?
    *** 4 More Years ***
    *** 4 More Years ***

Why should they give up their rides in favor of a "Pro"? They are paying for tuition and should get their money's worth. It does not follow that an AA is less deserving of good teaching than a "Pro".

Pro has the same opportunity as the AA - why haven't they taken it?

You can have more clinics or have clinics for multiple days - this is not rocket science!

If you have something more people want then make it more available.

On the other hand you could do the unpopular thing and make it more "Exclusive".

b

b

As someone else stated, it's not rocket science. At the next clinic (or before) approach BNT and stay you have X number of pros who would like to clinic with him/her next time and could he/she please schedule and extra day?

If that BNT can't/won't do it, find another. It's not like there is a shortage of "BNT" in this country.

Sometimes I wonder if there are any left in Germany...

b
    Last edited by Gucci Cowgirl; May. 15, 2007 at 09:49 AM.

clinics are not usually democracies. The clinic organizer is certainly able to say who rides in the clinic. If a rider is unhappy about being bounced, they can organize their own clinic and populate it however they want.

Organizing clinics is hard work. Many riders don't realize that.
    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

perhaps the local pros need to get together and contract with another BNT - certainly there is more that one out there that they could learn from?

my BO has brought in clinicians for many years - her boarders and students get the opportunity to ride with them and then outsiders if it is not filled from within the barn - my BO takes care of the housing/feeding/scheduling/transport/etc and gets her rides paid for - the students get excellent training
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Looks like you may have to up the anti and "upgrade" your event to a "Symposium". Have some kind of theme (upper level) and then invite applications. This may be the only way that you can avoid upsetting the regular participants and make the change. After having a success with the new format it would make sense to continue the new type of event. You will have to make extra effort to set the new format apart from the old. Getting another trainer in to teach the less adavanced riders would then make them feel more cared for. (Does said BNT have an assistant?)

This is typical of any organization. There is always a clique, and non members are left with the leftovers. The only recourse is to set up a clinic of their own.

There are talented instructors out there who are not BNT's ,yet. It takes time and energy, but someone should be able to sleuth them out.

Four thoughts for all your sour grapes: 1)There are plenty of amateurs that do a better job than some of your local "pros"; 2) There are plenty of "pros" that cannot properly sit the trot either; 3) If the locals did a better job in teaching the local amateurs, the BNT would not have to spend so much time on the basics with the amateurs; 4) Why not organize your own clinics if there are actually enough of you "pros" in the area, or guarantee to the clinic organizer that you will fill a third day. In my area, what I have seen is that there is lots of whiney going on, but when it comes to actually coughing up the money, there is a lot of folk sitting on their hands allowing the clinic organizer sweat as to if she will be left holding the bag or not to pay for the clinician.

How about having all or some of the clinic openings given on a "lottery" basis--pull names out of a hat or something. All interested have to submit their names by a certain date, then the lucky participants are chosen at random.

Well I think some of you guys are lacking reading comprehension here...

the OP has stated that they have tried to get more days but cannot make that happen.

She has also stated that the clinic organizer has a long standing list of people that always ride with said BNT and they have first dibs.

The only advice I could give is to go to the clinic organizer. Some BNT do dictate who they teach but it doesn't sound to be the case here so its up to the clinic organizer.

If she won't do anything about it you are SOL I'm afraid.

We had a slew of this kind of politiks in my old GMO... a small group of mostly very poor riders with lots of clout and no desire to share. It seemed to improve when more clinicians showed up on the scene... then, for cost,time or philosphical reasons, the riders kind of branched out, leaving some room in all the clinics for others.

Perhaps that would help?
    Jill
    www.eurofoal.homestead.com
    European bloodlines made in America

Why is there a pre-established list of people? Whose control is that under? I will assume the clinic organizer. Why doesn't she open it up to either first-come, first-served or "you rode before, so you get 2nd dibs) or some such? It doesn't sound off-the-cuff like a good business proposition as it stands-the BNT isn't happy, so may well leave given that according to you most others have; and a decent percentage of the population aren't happy-the 'pros'. Have you tried petitioning the clinic organizer? Preferably with a consensus of as many ppl as possible and DEFINITELY with the support of the BNT. If the pros can honestly commit such that if they replaced the aa, the same amount of revenue should be coming in; however people are overall happier! (Well except maybe the aa's...BUT if an equal number of pros replace, you have even numbers, + the BNT=vote in favour! Yes I'm oversimplifying but still). As an aa, well actuallly I don't even show yet, I can sympathize why they would want to ride in this special opportunity; however I would understand perfectly why someone would want this opportunity to be shared. Clinics at my barn are; if I rode in x clinic last month and there are a bunch of ppl that want it this month I certainly understand if I get requested to give in...esp if it is more like I rode in the last 10 clinics and someone rode in none! As an aside-just because someone can get help from a local coach doesn't mean they want to/don't want to ride under Anky! A second point of view can sometimes clear the waters...and many of us realize that. Not that that means they should get DIBS EVERY time.

As the above poster said, if the clinic organizer flatly refuses to change things, you're stuck. Perhaps you could organize your own, as earlier posted, even if it means booking a day with the BNT say a year in advance in order to get a day she is free, a suitable facility is available, etc etc. I'm assuming here that the current clinic organizer has days prebooked/reserved.

If the only thing scaring previous BNTs away was the aa content, if you contacted them with the condition it would be pros only, by invitation only, whatever...couldn't that resolve the issue?