The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BoysNightOut View Post
    That's the most absolutely disgusting thing I've ever heard. You sound just like a PETA member. Using children to support your own cause, who prolly had no idea about all the politics behind it.

If I was one of the parents, I'd be pissed off as all hell. That makes me think even LESS of your cause.

(And for the record, I think the actions taken by the men behind the rally were digusting as well, so it's not even about Pro vs Anti slaughter.)
    Amen, BoysNightOut.

I was appalled that someone would tell children something like that. They'll find out the harsh realities of life soon enough, without hysterical people pushing an agenda.
    Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    Aren't you all blowing this a little out of proportions?

If you want kids sheltered from what happens in the real world, why don't you stick them in bubble wrap and don't allow them on a field trip.

Worse stuff happens AT schools these days.
    No, not out of proportion.
    It shows you what kind of people you are supporting there.
    Not only to do such things, but to brag about doing them.

That fellow may have asked for permission to give the kids the stick horses, but I doubt so, the way those protesters get in people's faces.

Whatever was done wrong on his side, the other is absolutely inexcusable.

No, I don't think so.

When a parent allows their child to go on a field trip, it is reasonable for the parent to expect that their child will not be used, without their knowledge or consent, for political demonstrations.

The field trip was not for participation in a political demonstration. The kids were used by strangers for their own purposes.

Tell me - if your child came home crying and saying some lady gave him a bloody toy baby and told him his mommy was a murderer - don't you think you might raise an eyebrow?

I'm the last person who advocates wrapping kids in bubble wrap. No one in that demonstration had the right to involve children in their argument.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    Aren't you all blowing this a little out of proportions?

If you want kids sheltered from what happens in the real world, why don't you stick them in bubble wrap and don't allow them on a field trip.

Worse stuff happens AT schools these days.

Fyi...the teacher/leader of the group gave consent to tell the kids what the issue was about. These were not little kids, but were young adults in high school. The teacher also indicated she would use the experience to teach the kids how to properly write letters to their representatives.

And to set the record straight, it was not anyone from our side that chose to "use these kids". We simply told them what the rally was all about and what the stick horses were "supposed" to symbolize. The kids did not "participate in a political demonstration" as JSwan has insinuated. Lets keep this in perspective.

Here is todays newsletter from Loos. You will notice the numbers have now swelled to "hundreds"!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Whether we like it or not, the business of lawmaking is a game. Unfortunately, I am not really sure those who play the game understand the impact they have on the lives of others.

Yesterday's experience at the Illinois State Capitol truly illustrated the rules of the game. The old cliché certainly comes to mind - the world is ruled by those who show up and, honestly, we have not shown up often enough.

My plan was to testify against banning horse harvesting in the state of Illinois but my testimony was not heard by anyone because as I headed to the chair, the chairperson called for a vote. The vote was 7-0 in favor sending HB 1711 to the entire Senate for vote, which will likely happen next week.

Frank Bowman did get the opportunity to testify, though, and presented tremendous information that no member of the committee wanted to hear. The horse species stands to suffer greatly if we do not continue to harvest horses in the U.S. Even though those sentiments were not heard by the members of the Illinois Senate Public Health Committee, hundreds did hear the message in front of the state capitol a couple of hours earlier.

Click here to watch a short video of the rally.
    www.horse-protection.org

No Horses to Slaughter Clique

You were the one who called them "children" in your initial post. Not once did you say "teenagers" or "young adults".

If they were indeed teenagers, they probably gave the stick horses back to get you away from them. I can just picture it, "Those men are eeevvviiillll! You must not take those stick horses! It would be eevvviiiilll!"

Seriously, I see crooked fingers, slavering, and wild eyes when I envision that scenario. If I were a teen, I'd have run like Hades from you.
    Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

Now changing your story to big kids, too big to be given stick horses and care about it and be disappointed they had to give them back, as you told it?

I would be ashamed, the way you put it in the first post, not try to change the story now.

That is what is wrong with fanatics, they don't even know when they do wrong.
    Fanatics are out to destroy things in the name of "causes".
    Stop slaughter with measures that don't make sense and hurts horses, just so it stops.
    Harass "kids" and brag about it.
    No sense to such people, they lost measure of what is right long ago.

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Quote Originally Posted by J Swan View Post
    At least you'll reply to me.
    Of course I will. It would be out of character not to. Besides, we're basically on the same page.
    Gail's silence speaks volumes - and the gloating - that really takes the cake.
    It is hard to defend the indefensible. And you are absolutely correct. Her silence does indeed speak volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by kcgold View Post
    you seem to have a lot of anger
    Thanks Dr. Freud. Send the bill to my office or staple it to the hide of one of those pelts bound for Cavel. Besides, I'm not angry, I'm amused.
    - calling anyone that doesn't agree with your view a lot of names....whacko, sick, depraved, etc.
    The truth is an absolute defense.
    It would be nice if we could all stick to the discussion without resorting to that.
    Truth getting your panties a bit wadded up? C'est la vie.

Wow. PETA's just a stone's throw away, isn't it? Wonder when someone will begin distributing images of freshly-slaughtered horses to "young adults" in playgrounds, printed up as collectible trading cards?

oh you are just so very funny Bluey! The original post was a humerous account of the events in Springfield..need I repost it for you?

Spin it whatever way you like.. you always do.

oh yes Arabhorse..the kids were just mortified while chatting with a few people about an issue that was being addressed in the legislature..ooooh the HORROR of it all. They will probably need a lifetime of therapy just to overcome the terror of it all!
    www.horse-protection.org

Quote Originally Posted by onthebit12000 View Post
    You will notice the numbers have now swelled to "hundreds"!
    Well, why is that so unbelievable? While there may only have been 17 people +/- at the rally, how many others, passing by heard all or part of the message? You don't know, and neither does anyone else. So here we are left with a SWAG.

And while the kids involved may have been older that at first believed, I saw the video and many of them looked pretty young , even if they were teenagers. So, your dog won't hunt. Though I would have loved to see you and your group in action with those kids. Why do I get the image of a group of screeching hens? ROTFLMAO!

Again, onthebit, just responding to what you posted initially.

You told the children/young adults/teenagers/etc. that those men were EVIL and slaughtered LIVE HORSES, so people over in Europe could EAT THEM.

Not quite a direct quote, but when someone posts things like that, then yes, I imagine slavering, wild-haired harpies in stretch pants and Hello Kitty sweatshirts.

Uh Gail - I'm not buying it. Humorous account? It reads just like all your other accounts you've posted here.

And suddenly children on a field trip have become high school students? Hmmm..... never knew high school students to be that attached to a free stick horse given by a stranger.

You backpeddle as well as a slick politician. And you're about as trustworthy.

I don't give a darn if the protest was about horses, AIDS, gay rights or anything else. Get it?

And I don't think the childish poking makes you look good either. If you are so "ethical" and responsible - you'd be above it. And you'd be above manipulating schoolchildren and then bragging about it on the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by J Swan View Post
    At least you'll reply to me.

Gail's silence speaks volumes - and the gloating - that really takes the cake.
    You are truly something JSwan. So lets see, I dont immediately reply to you and you attack me for that.

Newsflash...unlike you, I have a JOB. I have a farm full of horses to tend to among other things, and cannot sit at my computer all day waiting to respond to you or anyone else for that matter.

Now, it is turn-in and feed time here, so please forgive me almighty JSwan while I tend to business.
    www.horse-protection.org

Keep in mind that the kids have no idea on what is actually at stake in this. It is actually very stupid for EITHER side to care what the kids think or not. The results of these laws will not NOTHING to help horses.

If the plants close, horses will be shipped much farther to either Canada or Mexico.

These laws do nothing to prevent slaughter. It just makes it worse on the horses. There are more horses than homes. W/hay prices in certain parts of the country, many people simply can NOT afford to keep horses.

There are MILLIONS of unwanted dogs and cats, why do you refuse to believe that the same is for horses?

What will happen to those horses?? Doesnt it seem logical that w/out slaughter, the numbers will only increase? Horses will be neglected since it will be harder to get rid of them. Would you rather make it extremely difficult to get rid of unwanted horses? Auctions may not be great, but they did do their part of reducing unwanted horses.

Depending on which part of the country, slaughter will still be a big part of that happens to them. They will still be slaughtered, just shipped to either Mexico or Canada.

I watched a video on horse slaughter. Let me tell you, the plants in the USA were MUCH more humane than the ones in Mexico. In Mexico, they stab over and over, trying to sever their spinal cord. Once that happened, the horse was still AWARE, but couldnt move. It was then, slid to a table. Then, had its leg put in around a hook, and lifted in the air. Next, the horse is slit open, and left to bleed out. The horse I watched, was repeated stabbed for over TWO minutes before it finally dropped down. It was really awful.

I am not anti slaughter, but ANTI MEXICAN slaughter. Canada shoots them. The USA used a bolt gun. The horse did not suffer once it was hit.

The rescued are already full or close to it. The hay prices are on a HUGE increase. Horses are expensive.

Horse slaughter is similiar to animal shelters for cats and dogs. They are needed, or the numbers will get completely out of control.

That said, I have NEVER bred an animal. I have only had ONE horse. I will keep him as long as I possible can. I do not take having a pet lightly. All of my pets are spayed/neutered. Most are adopted from our shelter.

I am not uneducated on animal issues. Horse slaughter is necessary to prevent a worse death for those horses that are not wanted.

The USA plants are a fairly humane way for them to pass. MEXICO is a HEL-LISH way for them to go. I want to stop horses from going to Mexico. These laws have only made it increase. It will only get worse.

I find that soooo very sad. Can't any of you anti slaughter see what will result in these laws??? Just a little???

"Oh what a tangled web we weave when we but practice to deceive"....

You seem to have had plenty of time to respond to those who already agreed with your position.

almighty JSwan? That's the best you can do? I didn't even have any intention of responding to this thread. I just read it and thought it was interesting. Until your post about the kids.

I think you just crossed the line. And guess what - this isn't about slaughter, or horses, or animal welfare.

It's about using children for your own political ends. And yes - that's what I think you did. Backpeddle some more - but I have no doubt that your post about the children was a truer version of the incident than what you are now asserting. Because your initial version is more in keeping with the style, language and attitude of all your other posts on this BB.

And unless you haven't noticed, I'm not happy with the pro-side either. Wow - it's not all about you.

Quote Originally Posted by onthebit12000 View Post
    You are truly something JSwan. So lets see, I dont immediately reply to you and you attack me for that.

Newsflash...unlike you, I have a JOB. I have a farm full of horses to tend to among other things, and cannot sit at my computer all day waiting to respond to you or anyone else for that matter.

Now, it is turn-in and feed time here, so please forgive me almighty JSwan while I tend to business.

Quote Originally Posted by hoofrx1 View Post
    Thanks Dr. Freud. Send the bill to my office or staple it to the hide of one of those pelts bound for Cavel. Besides, I'm not angry, I'm amused.

The truth is an absolute defense.

Truth getting your panties a bit wadded up? C'est la vie.

Rick - go read Rule #1 of the Forum rules. Somehow I think calling anyone who does not agree with your viewpoint "sick, depraved, whacko", etc would not fit under "Be nice, be respectful, be polite."

Quote Originally Posted by kcgold View Post
    Rick - go read Rule #1 of the Forum rules. Somehow I think calling anyone who does not agree with your viewpoint "sick, depraved, whacko", etc would not fit under "Be nice, be respectful, be polite."
    What? Who Knew? I really did tone down my remarks from what I really think of those sick, whacko, depraved people. I was trying to be nice. Honest I was. And, remember, the truth is an absolute defense. And I've given each and every one of them the respect they are due. And I haven't cursed or spit on the street or keyboard. Why I'm even wearing white gloves when I reply. So really, I'm trying to attain the highest degree of politeness the subject and the anti's deserve and have earned.

If you'd like, I could perhaps wear a crinoline pettycoat while at the keyboard. Would that help with my politeness in your eyes?

But wait, the original crinoline pettycoats were made with a weft of horsehair and the only place I'd be comfortable obtaining that material is at Cavel. But that might seem rude to you(such a conundrum, what's a fella to do?), so I guess I'll forgo wearing the crinoline petty coat. How about if I wear a 30X beaver top hat? Would it be impolite to wear a hat made in part with the fur of a trapped and then either drowned or clubbed to death, beaver? Or is the plight of the beaver of no concern to you? Where do you stand on the use of "Decon" and snap traps? How about Tyson chicken? Pate de foie gras?

By the way, are you aware that politeness has a cultural bias? IOW, what may be considered polite in one group/culture, may not be so in another. And, vice versa.

I've been told lots of times that people who aren't anti-slaughter (like me) shouldn't own animals, are inhumane, are horrible people, etc etc. Some people have informed another poster - who has several rescues - that she'd hate to be his horses, because he's not anti-slaughter.

It all gets pretty ridiculous.