The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Notes from Springfield, IL...

Well, to say the least, yesterday was an interesting day in Springfield, IL! The following are a few notes highlighting the days events..

At 11am, Trent Loos and Frank Bowman (Horsemen's Council of Illinois) staged their little rally on the east side of the Capitol building. The city of Springfield had denied Loos and his "crew" permits to bring LIVE horses into the city, so the proslaughter gang brought along a hundred or so "stick horses" to use as innocent pawns in their pathetic scheme to try to convince people that LIVE horse slaughter is good for horses.

Approximately 12 people showed for the Loos and Bowman show...many of which who were apparently from the Missouri Equine Council. In a dazzling display of intellectual and academic genius, two Missouri Horse Council members promptly crafted a sign which read..

MISSOURI
    EQUINE
    COUNCL

The "rally" lasted about 10 minutes, with Loos and Bowman speaking to a crowd of about 12 of their own followers and 2 or 3 members of obscure media.

Just as the "rally" was breaking up a group of 100 or so children who had been on a field trip to the Capitol, passed by the rally site while exiting the Capitol and this is where the story takes a rather sad turn... Forgive me, for I bear tragic news... the stick horses ultimately
    had to be sacrificed for the greater good.

You see, in a disingenious symbolic attempt to deceive the children into believing that Loos and Bowman actually cared about the welfare of horses, they gave the stick horses to the aforementioned group of children.

However, members from our group quickly headed the children off and explained to them that the men who gave them the stick horses are evil men, and that they want to slaughter REAL LIIVE horses and send them to Europe for people to eat.

We asked that the children return the stick horses to the evil men and tell them NO HORSE SLAUGHTER!!! Appx. 90% of the kids returned the horses to the evil doers, including some children who at first thought they would like to keep their stick horse (and even walked several yards away) and then upon further thought of what the evil men were doing, literally went running back to return their stick horses in show of support for America's REAL LIVE horses!

It was a touching show of suppport for America's horses, but indeed bittersweet. We all felt just terrible that all the adorable, cuddly, innocent, stick horses would have to return home with such horrible people. On this note, I must say that I fully intend to call into the Loos radio show today to offer up ransom money in order to save the little faux fuzzy ones!! It is only right.

Following the "rally" the Senate Public Health Committee hearing on HB 1711 was to commence at 1 pm, however, the hearing was delayed until 2:30 pm.

During the time we waited for the hearing to begin, a couple of Loos/Bowman supporters approached me and Chris Heyde asking us just "what the heck they were supposed to do with their horses, without the Cavel slaughter plant." Needless to say, the conversation was interesting... to say the least.

One of the "gentlemen" (I use this term VERY lightly here) was an older man who fancied himself a "livestock" producer. I asked how many horses he owned that (according to him) "had no place to go other than to slaughter." He told me he had 5 horses to which I I quickly asked "how much for the five horses?" The old timer said he was waiting on a quote from Cavel whether it would be .35 cent/lb or .40 cent/lb. I told him I'd pay .05 cent/lb more than Cavel. He never did respond to my offer.

During this time, "gentleman" number 2 joined the conversation. This one fancied himself a horse-shoer. He was concerned that ending slaughter was "dropping the market value of his horses." Hmmm, very interesting given the fact that gentleman number 1 had just told me that Cavel was paying 35-40 cent/lb. I mean how much more can your "market" drop???!!!

He became quite incensed when I told him perhaps he should consider learning how to better "market" his horses or better yet.. consider getting out of the horse business entirely if all that his animals are worth is 35 cent/lb. Needless to say, the conversation quickly went downhill from there...in fact it became downright scary when he started loudly exclaiming that it was a sin to waste good meat, and that the word of God says this is so! Oh my...time to get the men in the little white coats for this guy! I quickly ended the conversation when he physically started poking my arm with his bony little fingers..enough was enough!

2:30 pm--on to the hearing...testifying on our behalf was Dr. Patti Klein-Manke DVM, who is a veterinarian and also the Program Director at the Hooved Animal Humane Society in Woodstock, Illinois. Dr. Patti did a great job presenting very brief testimony. We did not present any further testimony, as we already knew that testimony was for all intent and purpose --a moot point. Prior to the hearing we had already been assured that all but one committee member would vote in favor of the bill. (Note: the committee has 11 members, but only 7 were present for the hearing. Had all 11 been present, the vote would have been 10-1)

The opponents offered up testimony from Jay Keller (lobbyist for Cavel) and Frank Bowman.
    Even though we were certain of the outcome of the hearing, it was very difficult to sit there quietly as the two men expunged lie after lie after lie! Incredible is the only word to describe the lengths that these people will go to in order justify killing horses...just incedible.

Sadly (*grin*), poor Mr. Loos was not allowed to testify. Committee Chairwoman Senator Garrett limited the testimony due to time constraints as the committee had many bills yet to consider yesterday. The Chairwoman promptly called the "roll". The final tally was 7-0 Unanimously in favor of HB 1711!

In perhaps the funniest and most satisfying moment of the day, directly following the vote, one of the people from our side overheard Loos asking someone from his side..."did we win"...well I never have laughed so hard in my life, that was just tooooooooo funny!!

So folks, those are my notes from Springfield, and now on a much more serious note, I would truly like to thank each and every one of you who have worked so tirelessly making calls and sending faxes! We are only inches away from shuttering the doors at Cavel forever, and this would never be happening if it werent for the efforts of so many people who TRULY care about the welfare of horses!

A special thanks goes out to all those who took the time to make the trip to Springfield yesterday and in particular Chris Heyde from the Society for Animal Protective Legislation in Washington, DC and also Dr. Patti Klein Manke and everyone at HAHS who each and every day are committed to making life better for horses and all God's creatures!

So folks, with 3 favorable votes in the Illinois General Assembly down, we have only 1 left to go...the full IL Senate! Lets get the phones and faxes warmed up and get this last vote done!!

Until they are safe...

Gail
    www.horse-protection.org

No Horses to Slaughter Clique

Gail, a delightful re-cap. Thank you, you made my morning. <wry-smile>. The two "gentlemen" were just too ignorantly funny. You have to shake your head.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Where did they say " live horse slaughter is good for horses " I didn't find that. Or did you make it up to help push your agenda?
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Thank You Gail.

Another day of ban opposers looking histerically out of touch.

If you need donations/placement for the rescue of the "Loos horses" (pun intended), count me in. I'll take two!

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Quote Originally Posted by onthebit12000 View Post
    However, members from our group quickly headed the children off and explained to them that the men who gave them the stick horses are evil men, and that they want to slaughter REAL LIIVE horses and send them to Europe for people to eat.
    You are a bunch of sick, warped individuals whose actions are contemptuous and worthy of scorn and derision. A pox on all of you.

Just curious Gail but if some pro slaughter people did the same type thing you did with the kids would you say hey thats fair we do the same? Or would you rant and rave about evil people?

Quote Originally Posted by hoofrx1 View Post
    You are a bunch of sick, warped individuals whose actions are contemptuous and worthy of scorn and derision. A pox on all of you.
    Why? Because they told the kids the truth?

Talking Save the stick horses !

a total of TWELVE people showed up? ha, ha....what a show of support !

thanks for the update, makes my day!

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Perhaps he was one of the men? Just a thought...

No, because they are a bunch of sick, warped individuals who if given lemonade would find a way to turn it into lemons.

Rick

They told the kids the truth? No actually what they did was tell the kids their idea of the truth. That hardly makes it so. I think its a shame the anti side isn't secure enough in theior position to allow people to decide for themselves. I think the poll on here shows they don't really have the backing they keep trying to cram down everyones throat.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post

I bet he was.....

Quote Originally Posted by county View Post
    Just curious Gail but if some pro slaughter people did the same type thing you did with the kids would you say hey thats fair we do the same? Or would you rant and rave about evil people?
    So typical of you County to try to twist this into something it was not.
    FYI...it was Loos and Bowman who attempted to use the kids (who just so happened to wander past their pathetic little non-event) as pawns in their AGENDA.

We simply told the kids the truth of why those people were there and the kids made the decision as to whether or not to return the "horses".

Here is the "spin" that Loos has put on things yesterday before the day had even ended... unfotunately the I cant seem to paste the photo Loos provided on his email into this forum. The photo was of Loos giving the kids stick horses. Unbelievable.

Loos Lips
    May 8, 2007

Forty responsible horse owners gathered on the front lawn of the Illinois State Capitol in Springfield earlier today to oppose efforts by animal rights organizations to prohibit horse slaughter as an humane way to cull unwanted and unemployable animals from the nation's horse herd. The issue is really a matter of private property rights preservation and the removal of a viable end of life decision for horse owners.

Joining me at the rally was Frank Bowman, president, Horsemen's Council of Illinois, and 200 "horses" that arrived in a horse trailer promptly at 11 a.m. in front of the Capitol, an arrival anticipated by local law enforcement officials who were on the lookout for live horses rather than stick horses.

Our rally attracted local pedestrians and hundreds of school-age children from across the state and offered the opportunity for a valuable dialogue on the option of horse slaughter and our rights and responsibilities as animal producers, which I remind your are both critical for the continuation of our industry.

This afternoon, I will testify before the Senate Public Health Committee on IL House Bill 1711 (an anti-slaughter bill). I invite you all to do the same and to stand up and talk about the issues as such situations present themselves.
    www.horse-protection.org

No Horses to Slaughter Clique

I didn't think you'd give a direct answer Gail its so rare you ever do. Great spin doctor though.

Great work, Gail. I am always thrilled when people take the time to educate the next generation. That can mean the difference between life and death for many horses in the future. I know that I can point to one person in particular who got me started on the path to doing rescue.

Shame on all of you for exploiting a bunch of children this way. If I was a parent of one of those kids - I'd have your heads on a platter.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    If this is with reference to me, the answer is no. I wasn't there. But had it been me with those kids and one of the whackos had come up and started with the nonsense as described, they would have left with at least one of the stick horses appropriately shoved into an appropriate orifice. Then we all could have laughed when someone observed "look, its a costume party and that person is dressed as S**T-on-a-stick" Film at eleven.

Gee, Gail reported that there were only 12 pro-slaughter people present.

Loos says there were 40.

I wonder who's correct? If its Loos, then why is Gail lying? What could she possibly have to gain? *

*Please read with the sarcasm intended.

---"We asked that the children return the stick horses to the evil men and tell them NO HORSE SLAUGHTER!!! Appx. 90% of the kids returned the horses to the evil doers, including some children who at first thought they would like to keep their stick horse (and even walked several yards away) and then upon further thought of what the evil men were doing, literally went running back to return their stick horses in show of support for America's REAL LIVE horses!"---

Even if I was FOR this slaughter ban, I would be ashamed of you for that stunt .
    Would not look too good in your resume, such a PETA stunt, much less that you think it is bragging matierial.

Good for you that there was not a parent there, I assure you.

Why would Gail lie? Maybe to keep pushing the agenda she has? Why does she put a spin on what she claims? Why does she make up things that people say?