The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Angry Was there a sale on shadbellies recently? (Warning - un-PC vent!)

Because I've never before seen so many people wearing them that shouldn't be, as I did today.

So, another USDF show today (and yesterday). I scribed this morning and early afternoon, for a wonderful judge. Started with GP and PSG this morning, followed by FEI freestyles and the odd I1 or I2 ride.

It wasn't pretty.

Why, oh why, do people overface themselves and their horses? There were horses showing GP that would have been perfectly at home at 2nd/3rd. I won't go into the scores, except to say they were reflective of the rides. But, damn! I know why Texas dressage is viewed the way it is by the rest of the country.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

I know why Texas dressage is viewed the way it is by the rest of the country.

My feelings are deeply offended!
    www.spindletopfarm.net
    Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
    "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

You know perfectly well that I didn't mean you.

BTW, your friend LJ has a nice horse that did a nice PSG test today. But you'd have given her a run for her money.

Proud owner of one Lunar acre! (Campanus Crater, The Moon)

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    I know why Texas dressage is viewed the way it is by the rest of the country.
    The real tragedy is that a lot of the people don't leave the state and go to some big, good shows, elsewhere in the country to find out what it really can and should look like. It happens everywhere in the country, for a while. Then some brave souls go away and start to see what really competitive dressage looks like as you get to the higher levels, and they reset their expectations. Another thing that helps is going somewhere else and getting some lessons on trained FEI horses. That makes the most lasting impression.

I've seen it happen in other states, too. It just seems some states are still behind the dressage curve in this country. Probably in TX it's due to the fact that most people are still riding in western saddles and fewer are riding dressage. I'm just guessing on that one...
    "Relinquish your whip!!"

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    You know perfectly well that I didn't mean you.

BTW, your friend LJ has a nice horse that did a nice PSG test today. But you'd have given her a run for her money.

Oh, I dont think so. That woman can ride circles around most everyone I know! She is a very correct and lovely rider who on top of that has great training skills. I respect her alot.
    After this last foal is born, Im planning on going and spending a weekend training session with her and looking super forward to it!
    www.spindletopfarm.net
    Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
    "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

Cool! Did we have a baby over the weekend? Tell!

And, when you go, be sure to take the red menace with you. After what I saw this weekend, you'll clean up with him.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
    The real tragedy is that a lot of the people don't leave the state and go to some big, good shows, elsewhere in the country to find out what it really can and should look like. It happens everywhere in the country, for a while. Then some brave souls go away and start to see what really competitive dressage looks like as you get to the higher levels, and they reset their expectations. Another thing that helps is going somewhere else and getting some lessons on trained FEI horses. That makes the most lasting impression.
    True, but it seems to happen here more frequently than other places I've lived.

I've seen it happen in other states, too. It just seems some states are still behind the dressage curve in this country. Probably in TX it's due to the fact that most people are still riding in western saddles and fewer are riding dressage. I'm just guessing on that one...
    Actually, it looks to me like the number of dressage riders is starting to rival the number of western riders. But then, I don't spend much time in western barns, either, so it could be a matter of perspective.

Either way, many of the bad rides I saw yesterday , were by people who should know much, much better. It's always disheartening to see a downward trend in competency, training and riding in one's area.

I'd say the trainers should discourage their students from entering above their heads - and even when you don't personally know connections you can get a pretty good idea from looking at the stall chart (which is still up on hds website)
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

I would agree with you, if it weren't the trainers who were usually the guilty parties.

well, I looked at the list of classes/riders - I have to disagree with you - about the trend
    Last edited by SGray; Jun. 18, 2007 at 05:49 PM.

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Cool

I don't think so. I've been in and out of Texas for nearly 20 years, and I've never seen it this bad before. People are showing FEI who used to show FEI well (or, at least adequately), and making an absolute hash out of it. The horses,..........well, all I can say is that they're saints. But the majority have had their day, if you take my meaning. Just, people who should know better are going backwards in their training/showing, not progressing. Very, very disheartening.

I'll try to get to the next show and have a look - sad if they are devolving

I blame the judges (because I'm not one. lol!). But really, if a tempi change is crap, and the judges would actually SCORE it as crap (that's what - a 2? Yeah, pretty sure in the directives, 2=crap), maybe people would get the message. It's easy to convince yourself to move up if you consistently get low 60's. I think it would be harder if you actually saw a well deserved 40 once in awhile. Of course, you'd have to pay those judges big bucks to make it worth their time, because we know they'd never be invited back again.

ESG - were the scores appropriate?

There were some 50.% scores in FEI - deserved.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

I'm curious if the judges made any comments on the tests regarding her thoughts on the level they should be at, or not.
    *** 4 More Years ***
    *** 4 More Years ***

Well the one thing I will say was encouraging was that one woman we met said the judge called her up after the class and said her horse appeared uneven or sore somewhere and that her scores would reflect that. She was not unkind about it, but made sure that the woman knew what the scores meant. I think she (owner) appreciated the judge's candor very much and was going to get him checked out by a vet even though she could not feel what the judge saw. I think it's great that a judge would point out something like this instead of ignoring it. That is not always the case.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "There is just as much horse sense as ever, but the horses have most of it"

Cool

Actually, there were several "1s" "awarded", and to more than one rider. And yes, at FEI. 'Nuff said, I think.

And, Dalfan, I don't know whether or not the judges are allowed to make comments as you suggest. Certainly there were some observations made to me (and, to the other scribes, I'm sure) as to a particular horse/rider's fitness for a particular level of competition, but none of my judge's ever made it to paper. I'm thinking that they're not supposed to do anything but judge what's presented to them - period.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SGray View Post
    ESG - were the scores appropriate?
    Generous, I'd say. I'm not sure I'd have been as kind as a few of the judges were.

ESG - as someone living in Texas how am I supposed to be anything but offended by your post? You saw some bad rides at a show...fine. Since you say you have been in and out of Texas for the past 20 years I am assuming that you know it is a very LARGE state. If the show was in the Houston area it is fair to assume you saw mostly Houston barns, if the show was in the Dallas area mostly barns from that area, Austin shows usually get San Antonio/Austin area.

You have a right to your opinion and based on previous posts I have respected what you have had to say but to categorize all dressage in the state of Texas based on this show leaves a bad taste in my mouth.