The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Does something happen each evening...

...at 10:00 pm Pacific Daylight Time?

I finish up my horsie chores, grab dinner, and settle down with my laptop. All is lovely until it gets to be 10:00 pm, when I can't get COTH to do ANYTHING. Each page change takes 2-4 minutes (I play solitaire). I'm guessing there's a server back-up or something that occurs at that time? Mainly I'm just curious.

Also -- don't know where to give this feedback or if anyone is even interested in it -- I am in marketing and do quite a bit with online and banner advertising. I'm sure someone is measuring the clickthroughs on the ads that run on the right side of the BB. The placement of the ads, however, makes it very easy to click on one when intending to click on the scroll bar. I'm sure it's inflating the numbers, and if they are seeing initial clicks and nothing else, that might be the explanation. Probably running them down the left side instead of the right would reduce the number of random clicks.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Yes, the backup runs at 10 pacific/1 AM eastern every night, for about 45 minutes.

I had the tech guys push it back 2 hours, so that should help the West Coast crowd with their evening browsing.

JoZ is online now Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Yes indeed that's MUCH better... I only rarely go COTHing after midnight! Thanks, Erin!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

I still seem to run into a problem when I try to access COTH at this time (between 10 pm and 10:30 pm Pacific). Did the backup get pushed back, and this is a different issue, or is the backup still occuring then? It has been happening to me the last several nights.

I'm surprised its still so early. Many of your readers are online before midnight. Why would they not perform this in the early morning hours. They don't have to be personally present. It still seems a thoughtless hour to do it.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.