The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

So do you think my family or anyone elses would feel less sad if I or anyone died from say, smoking, heart attack, getting killed in a car accident, or any other reason? When everyone I know personally who does the whining thing about helmets doesn't do one thing thats unsafe or bad for their health I'll consider their preaching. I do not know even one person who fits that description.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Quote Originally Posted by nightsong View Post
    All this emphasis on helmets, when the woman was killed from being DRAGGED with a foot caught in the stirrup. There's a REASON our saddles have safety bars. WHENEVER you clean your saddle, you should check the bars. They need to do the job. As for WESTERN saddles, the major cause of cowboy death from 1800-1850 was being dragged. The response was to put the high heels on boots, the "riding"heel, that supposedly kept the foot from ging through stirrup so they wouldn't et hung up. Don't know how well that worked, but I sure like the English saddle response to the same problem (being dragged) a whole lot better!
    But she DIED from head trama, could she have lived if wearing a helmet... her chances would have been wayyyy... better.

This is why the helmet thing is being so highly pushed.
    Courtney Palmer
    "Laurentide"
    "Pandora"
    RIP "Noble Gesture"

Just follow the solution that I've figured out: Wear a seatbelt rather than a helmet when you ride.

Must be spring--the great, endless helmet debate.
    "And now . . .off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums."

I like how an old cowboy type that rides cutters here puts it. I'm 78, I smoked since I was 12, drank like a fish till I was 67, don't wear a seat belt. I can't hardly walk any more but can ride pretty much as good as ever, why the hell would I care if how I die is from getting dumped from a horse? Learn to ride, use a good quality western saddle and spend your time concerned about your lifes actual problems.

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Cool

Yes,.............and it's a statement he'd not have been here to make, had his horse taken a bad step and he had the misfortune to get dragged/hit his head on a rock. Even experienced old cowboys get thrown.

And no, your family wouldn't be less sad if you died from something other than a head injury incurred while riding helmetless. They'd probably cuss you a little less, though, since the injury was preventable.

We all know that we can get run over by a bus going to get the mail, or get caught up in a hostage situation at the bank, or get on a plane that crashes. Those are everyday things that are out of our control, that can threaten our lives. Riding horses, however, does not fall under that category, as mitigating the risks of injury by wearing protective gear is within our control. It is a high-risk endeavor. We increase exponentially our chances of injury, every time we get on a horse. Intelligent people choose to mitigate that risk. Others? Well, I think we can count on them being Darwined out of the gene pool, and the problem will solve itself.

As always, JMO.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

1 members found this post helpful.

And I'd be rich if I had the right numbers to the lottery. But I didn't same as his horse didn't take a bad step. I think some of you will just have to accept the fact theres 10's of 1000's of riders that don't wear a helmet. And your really no more intelligant then any one else. Actually IMO your not real bright to get all worked up over it.

Cool

I'm not all worked up about anything. You asked if your family would be less sad if you died from something other than a preventable cranial incident. I answered your question. I could care less whether or not you wear a helmet. If you don't care about your safety, why should anyone else?

I don't know why they do I guess you have to ask them and yourself if they don't care why post things like your last paragraph?

BTW neither of my daughters wears a helmet either and they ride way way more hours then I do. One goes on 3 to 7 day trail rides around the country and beleive it or not is an RN and works in an ER.

Oh Darwin, where art thou?

Out riding, and without a helmet even.

Cool

That'd be a pretty neat trick, considering how long he's been dead.

I'll tell you what - why don't you take your opinions on the validity of helmet usage to this poor 13 year old who's now an orphan? Bet she'd have a different perspective. Poor kid.

Quote Originally Posted by moonriverfarm View Post
    It's "you're", not "your". I'm bright enough to know that
    Actually...no, it's your. County said "Its really none of your business either way." which is correct.

How very sad for the girl.

No comments on the helmet issue...I do usually wear one, but to be honest, there are times I don't.

I just thought it ironic that you were incorrectly pointing out what you thought was someone else's mistake.

Unhappy UGH!!

For Christs sake! a little girl lost her mother and trying to argue with County is 100% POINTLESS! Look up all the other rambling arguments....POINTLESS....do us all a favor, exchange email addresses and argue directly and not torture the rest of us.

Can we just focus on the poor kid who doesn't have any parents anymore? Poor kid is all alone and actually witnessed the accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Rye View Post
    For Christs sake! a little girl lost her mother and trying to argue with County is 100% POINTLESS! Look up all the other rambling arguments....POINTLESS....do us all a favor, exchange email addresses and argue directly and not torture the rest of us.

Can we just focus on the poor kid who doesn't have any parents anymore? Poor kid is all alone and actually witnessed the accident.

No offense, but you mean you can argue with anyone but county? What diff would it make? You can't legislate morality. Sorry but true. I don''t mean it to be ugly.
    RIP Bo, the real Appassionato
    5/5/84-7/12/08

lol, county, it's always the crusty curmudgeons like you that live to be 100, so you go, girl! I still think your family would be heartbroken if you died because you fell off your horse and cracked your head open. But at your age, you've had a good run, so what the heck...you've made your choice.
    I am very, very sad for the child who has lost her Mom. That's heartbreaking.

I always wear a helmet when I ride. However, the worst accident I ever had was when handling a youngster while on the ground, when I ended up getting flipped backwards and landed on my head on concrete. So, now I wear a helmet when handling youngsters on the ground also. I don't care if it looks dorky.

I feel sad for the little girl also but it has nothing to with if I choose to do something or not. Even if I wore a helmet the accident to her mom would have happened. And as I said if I get killed because I didn't wear a helmet I agree my family will be sad. Fact is if If get killed by anything they will be sad. As far as people getting upset because I don't wear a helmet I really think you all need to find something more in your life.

BTW chai I'm a he not a she

We don't have to worry about county falling off a horse and getting hurt, last I knew he didn't ride anymore. When I've been up there he drives the truck while the others ride the horses.
    I lost count of the times I’ve given up on you
    But you make such a beautiful wreck you do

Actually Gina thats a tractor not a truck I always use it when moving cattle. And no I don't ride nearly as much as when I was younger last year maybe 5 times. This spring once so far, no helmet though but Jess wears hers.