The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post
    *shrug* We can't force you. I used to only wear one when jumping or riding in an area new to my horse, e.g., Golden Gate Park or on the beach. Then I realized that it didn't matter how well I rode, or how reliable MY horse was, I can't control other riders or outside influences. My horse (then) wasn't at all spooky, but that's not going to help with an out of control bicyclist or any number of "I can't believe that happened...." circumstances.

Now, my old event horse trainer was schooling a horse one day. She realized she was running later for another appointment. When she finished with the horse, the owner said they would take care of cool out and grooming, so trainer jumped in her car and drove off, not bothering to remove her helmet. About a mile down the road, another car ran a stop sign and plowed into her. Even though she had a seat belt, she did get thrown into the windshield (this is before airbags). They said afterwards she could have been seriously hurt, but since she was wearing her helmet, she wasn't even concussed.
    Sandy M, this thread is from 2007 and county has since passed away, so don't expect a reply.

1 members found this post helpful.

In my younger years when I spent all my daylight hours training, yes, I wore my helment even when driving! LOL. It was just that much a part of my 'everyday' clothing that I often forgot to take it off when I left home. Fortunately never had an accident while driving to find out if it could save my life while behind the wheel.

It's really weird having old threads pop up and even stranger when the thread originator is deceased?!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    It's really weird having old threads pop up and even stranger when the thread originator is deceased?!

The thread originator is not deceased.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartsongHorses View Post
    Not everyone, especially new posters, realizes the suggested "similar threads" are ancient news.
    I really don't feel like this is a valid excuse. Right at the very top it says in big letters the original posting date.
    Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
    Sam: A job? Does it pay?
    Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
    Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanne View Post
    The thread originator is not deceased.
    Sorry, county. Not the thread originator. But one of the main posters on the thread.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Prayers for the little girl. It is extremely hard to be an orphan.

Quote Originally Posted by Grataan View Post
    I really don't feel like this is a valid excuse. Right at the very top it says in big letters the original posting date.
    If people want to talk about it again,who cares? If they don't and it dies again then it dies. No big deal. You don't have to read it or post to it if you don't want to.

Double post.
    Last edited by HeartsongHorses; Nov. 5, 2012 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shireluver View Post
    Honestly, I am a pony tail, no make-up, jeans and T-shirt kind of girl. No hair-do here.

I just think that freedom of choice is important, and the arguement about it being sooo dangerous is just goofy. As County pointed out, most head injuries in cars could be prevented with helmets. Do you wear a helmet in your car? I can almost guarantee that many people here spend more time in their car then on their horse. Also, the amount of car accident deaths due to head injuries is probably a lot higher then the amount of horse related deaths due to head injuries.
    Obviously, you know nothing about statistics. Sure the number of car accidental deaths due to head injuries is probably higher than horse related deaths, but how many people drive or ride in cars vs. ride horses? Statistically speaking, head injuries are fairly common riding injury.

We had another sad story occur just east of Cincinnati in August. A single mother of I think 6 kids was trailriding at a local state park and was thrown. She died instantly as well. She was not wearing a helmet. Kids now have no mother or father, so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Amen sister

While wearing a helmet is an adult's choice, if I owned/managed/ran that boarding barn, it would be a rule..... no matter the age.

It's a rule where I board (private/self-care) because I wrote the rules for the farm owner!
    Exactly... Just because something is allowed doesn't mean it is smart!
    Florida still allows motorcycle riders to go without helmets, but I would smack any kid (or adult for that matter) in my family if they told me they took advantage of that stupid lack of Law!

Poor girl...safety stirrups are you friend. I managed to put them on my saddle the day before my horse gave a big spook forward and I came off behind the boy. Phew, for once time it well. Always wear a helmet since Mrs. Trakehner almost died in a riding accident (didn't wear a helmet, but the surgeon said it probably wouldn't have made a big difference..yeah, right).
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"