The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Question Would you haul a sale horse for someone to try, who won't come to your barn?

So I'm having a hard time selling my fancy hunter. Out-of-discipline sales are always challenging, but this one seems even moreso than normal.

So a trainer comes out last week to try him. She loved him; tried to hide it a bit, but it was clear she was pretty smitten. Trainer wants him for a client who won't be riding much. Client is purported to want something very fancy, and will keep in training, but that she will only potz around on a few times a month. Okay, whatever. As long as he has a good home, I don't care if pony's job description doesn't include showing. It'd be a wicked waste, but hey, it's her money.

So, I ask trainer when client will be coming to try him. "Oh, she won't - she won't ride in front of people." Huh? "Yeah - when can you haul him over for her to try?"

Now, I'd never met this trainer before she came out to try my horse. I don't know whether she's BSing me, or if she really does have a client who will buy under such.........odd conditions. So my question is this - in my position, would you haul the horse to her farm? It's at least a half-day proposition for me, and I still have horses to work and stalls to clean, so not tempting. I'm inclined to say no, but husband thinks I should. Friends are on my side of the fence. What say you all, o wise and wonderful COTHers?
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Suggest the client pay $X for trailering & your time. Or come to your barn for free.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Default Yes

I live in the boonies and my facilities aren't the best for showing beasties. We love the farm, but I know not everyone would. I would take a beastie to another barn (within a reasonable distance) to show a potential buyer, but I wouldn't leave it there without a check.

In your case, I guess I'd stay out of the way, or go grab a bite to eat and give the timind rider an hour or two alone with the beastie and trainer before showing up again.

JohnDeere's right. They should pay for shipping at least.

If you really want to sell the horse, then do it and charge for your time, gas etc. If you're not in a huge hurry and truly don't want the hassle, then don't do it. If it were me, I'd probably do it and charge them a fee.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    "Yeah - when can you haul him over for her to try?"

so my question is this - in my position, would you haul the horse to her farm? It's at least a half-day proposition for me?
    $50 an hour up front from loading at your house to unloading back at your house....

Tamara in TN

Question

Well, normally I don't mind hauling my sale guys to other venues. I've even been known to haul them to local shows and let prospective buyers show them. It's just that this feels hinky to me. The trainer says the buyer isn't going to show, or even ride much, but that the buyer's anxious because she just had one that didn't vet. Gotta wonder. I mean, really, how well does it have to vet for someone that isn't going to ride? Just really, really hinky.

And if I did, what do y'all thnk would be an appropriate charge? I'm tempted to make it on the high side, just for the PITA factor. Surely, someone wanting me to haul a rather expensive horse can afford $150 for the privilege, right?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara in TN View Post
    $50 an hour up front from loading at your house to unloading back at your house....

Tamara in TN
    Whoops - we posted at the same time. I like your idea better.

I'd say set a flat fee, non refundable and paid in advance (cash or cleared check).

Make it worth your time but keep everything spelled out at the "Dick and Jane" level.
    Euthanasia is taking their pain away and making it your own. ~ Laurierace

Some people don't like to ride infront of other's, and just wont do it. I knew a women who had 2 *gorgeous* hunters that she'd come and ride about 2x a month (all by herself of course) but would LOVE to come, sit at the barn, and watch her horses being ridden by others. Honestly, although interesting, she thought they were beautiful and wanted had very little desire to ride them herself, just watch them go and graze/groom them. Some people just like watching a nice hunter/jumper go around, if it doesn't pass a vetting then there is no 'watching' either.

It might be worth it to drive him over there, although it seems a bit odd, she might give him a great home.

Please please please do yourself a big favor and don't be tempted to do it for free. If this other person does not have something invested (in this case money) they will find it very easy to blow you off. Human nature has it that we don't respect things that come too easy. And if she doesn't have to put her time and energy in getting to you (no matter what the reason), she will disrespect you in the rest of the process. Definitly make her pay for your time and gas, etc....

on the plus side, hauling horse to them would allow you to scope out the potential new home
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

eventmom, you're absolutely right - people don't appreciate what they get for free. And, as has been graphically illustrated to me quite recently, no good deed goes unpunished, especially in the horse world.

Good thought, SGray, but I already scoped out the website of the prospective home barn, and it's nicer than mine. I don't worry about that part.

I agree with doing it for a fee. I've never heard of anything like that before, though. If she can't ride in front of people, how does she ride at her own barn? Is she the only boarder? Does the trainer cater to her and ban everybody else from the premises while she's taking a lesson?

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Good thought, SGray, but I already scoped out the website of the prospective home barn, and it's nicer than mine. I don't worry about that part.
    That doesn't mean a thing in terms of care. Quality facilities do not = quality care automatically, just as lesser facilities don't = poorer care.
    Proud adopter of Win
    http://www.defhr.org
    Days End Farm Horse Rescue
    Protection for Horses - Education for People

I would do it... for the $50 an hour

It is worth it to do it on a day when you have the time. That way if it does turn out to be a total bust, you haven't cancelled other plans for this. Also, maybe ask if the vet can be present (or on-call) to do the vetting, so you could get that out of the way at the same time.
    ~ Kimberlee
    www.SpunkyDiva.com

Somebody did it for me once -- but she was "highly motivated". The woman had just had a big fight with her young mare over worming when she read my ad for a well broke gelding. She came and looked at the gelding one morning, we talked about a trade, and she'd no sooner gotten home than she was on the phone to me offering to haul the mare down to my place that evening, and if I liked her, she'd take the gelding home with her and leave the mare with me.

The mare is still here, 22 years later.

You want to sell the horse? Haul it over to the trainer's barn so the client can try it. I think asking for a fee is tacky and a good way to get those people to go look at other horses. Look at it as a good schooling experience for your horse if nothing else.

Cool

Renae, normally I would feel as you do, that one does what one must to sell. I wouldn't hesitate, if this were a trainer I knew. But I don't, and as I said, there's something hinky about all this. I'm probably being stupid, but I've learned to ignore my gut at my peril, and my gut is screaming at me on this one.

It would be one thing if your facilities weren't suitable at the time...the footing was compromised due to a lot of rain, don't have a full jump course, etc. In that case, I would haul out for free. But when it is a matter of convenience for the buyer (and I consider this convenience, no necessity), charge 'em for it.

Default ?

ESG, perhaps you could PM a few of us locals the name and we might know the person?

I have to say it sounds a bit odd, you have a nice arena and it's not like you have loads of people there all the time.
    Last edited by Kate66; Apr. 30, 2007 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Update