The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast

Default Le Samuri Accident Video

Does anyone know if there is video footage of the incident anywhere on the internet, or would someone be able to put it on you tube ? For those of us at the event who were watching in a different place and didn't subscribe to the online coverage, we weren't able to see it. It's awful hard to come to a conclusion without having witnessed the incident.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqUPoQj5hV8

Makes for horrid viewing

Moderator edit: YouTube video is no longer available because of copyright issues, but the video of the entire event can downloaded for $7.99 at this link: http://www.mediazone.com/channel/nbc...rian/index.jsp
    Last edited by Erin; May. 2, 2007 at 10:33 AM.

you could see that the horse hurt himself several strides BEFORE the jump in the video!! he still took the jump....ouch!

He is certainly a game horse with a lot of heart. I think it might have felt different to Amy than it looked from the ground, possibly almost like he slipped - rather than he was injured.

In any event I send jingles for a complete recovery.

Ouch! From the video it does look like he just took a mistep. I know that I've been on horses that took a funny step and were off for a few strides and then worked out of it. I don't know Amy, nor do I know what she felt up there, but I'm sure she wouldn't finish a course on a horse that she thought was hurt.
    Take Your Equestrian Business to the Next Level: http://www.mythiclanding.com/
    Follow me at http://mythiclanding.blogspot.com or http://twitter.com/mythiclanding

oh, my god.
    She must be kicking herself. It looks even worse seeing it again. Can you imagine coming around to the last after a ride like she had and then having that happen?

I'm sure it felt like he over reached or pulled a shoe, took a couple of steps to get used to it and when he saw the last fence he looked sound again. If he had continued to get worse not better or if she had more time to feel him before the last jump I'm sure she would never have done it. Has any one timed how many seconds from his first stumble to the last fence? I know I have been on course had my horse go around, stumble, yank off a shoe, felt funny for a couple of strides then be fine. I have only met Amy a couple of times, but I am sure her horses welfare comes before her own, like the rest of us. (I am not suggesting anyone on this forum has suggested that it was anything more that a tragic accident)

Post Equisearch article on Le Saurai/Amy Tryon

From Equisearch/Nancy Jaffers:

"Of course, the biggest mishap (though that is far too mild a word to describe it) is the situation involving the leader after dressage, Amy Tryon. Some have asked why Amy didn't pull up Le Samurai when he started to limp before the last fence on cross-country. Her husband, Greg, told me she didn't know what was going on. She thought perhaps he had caught a clip on his shoe, and when he seemed to recover and sighted in on the last jump, she didn't want to stop him and risk a crash. As soon as he cleared the fence, she leaped off."

http://equisearch.com/equiwire_news/...7final_042907/

There is more in the article re: FEI investigation and Mark Phillip's statement on the incident.

Terrible situation for all involved.

When I watch the video, it looked like he clipped/pulled a shoe. I thought that even before reading Amy's or anyone else's comments.

I wish it wasn't any more serious than that, and hopefully the facts will come out soon. Hugs and sympathies to Amy and Le Lamuri.

I don't know what if feels like to have a four star horse locked onto a fence and have to try to pull it up. I know that it is really hard to pull my horse off of a fence that he is locked onto (but not supposed to jump). Amy is an experienced and great horseperson. I would tend to agree with her that pulling up a horse locked on the fence could be a very dangerous option. To us watching the video who knows what is going on it looks like ages between that spot and the finish. To her it was merely seconds and he did look not too bad when he was on his right lead and still put a terrific effort over the last fence.

Le samuri is a horse with a lot of heart and Amy is a rider who has a lot of talent and compassion who had to make a tough decision and is going to get blasted for it.

After watching the video, the horse did look better as he rounded the corner and locked in on the fence... Hindsight is always 20/20, and I don't think any of us are qualified to second guess what was going through Amy's mind as it was all unfolding. Looking back, would she have jumped the fence? Of course not. At the time, she did what she thought was best. God forbid any of us end up in a situation similar to hers.
    I think it's not anyone's place to bad mouth her or second guess the decision she made... I'm sure that she's devastated enough without strangers tearing her apart.

I for one will just send good wishes and healing jingles to both Le Samuri, Amy, and everyone involved with them.
    -Jessica

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

I have struggled not to post because I suck at riding and am not an eventer, however, I have been a horseman for longer than Amy has been alive and I am calling a big ole bullshit on her husband's comment that she didn't know what was going on. The horse trantered, broke to the trot, crosscantered, changed leads a couple times and was head bobbing lame at the canter, all of which happened before she ever made the turn to the final fence.

She had a lot of time to let him trot a few steps, assess his soundness and continue on should he prove sound. My horse has an upright foot and she yanks the shoe off of that foot on a regular basis. I know it has happened before her foot hits the ground a second time and know if she is sound before her foot hits the ground a fifth. If someone as untalented as me can tell, so can Amy Tryon.

Based on the various, 'maybe she didn't know what was going on' comments I watched the video thinking I was going to see a horse take a few bad steps before resetablishing a good pace. That horse had a great, quality gallop going, especially considering he was at the very end of a gruelling course. After the misstep, he barely reestablished a true canter, yet alone a good pace. You could see him in midair over the last jump, damn afraid to land on the other side.

Poor horse...
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

If we have different opinions then it's not clear cut.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

I'm with Midge - the horse was 3 legged lame well before he turned the corner and locked in on the final jump. The you tube video is grainy & doesn't show the details nearly as clearly as the web cast video. I was sick watching that horse struggle to continue on.

Okay, I'm not an eventer either, but I've shown hunters and jumpers a long time. Amy made a mistake. I'm sure she knows that in hindsight. With the benefit of hindsight, we can replay it in slow motion in our heads, and it might seem obvious (or not), but from her position on top of the horse it went pretty quickly. No time for ethical debate or weighing all the options. Do you think if she knew he was seriously hurt there would have been any selfish reason to keep on going ? She wouldn't have made it to showjumping anyway . She had to make a quick decision based on what she felt at the time, and it's only is obviously a mistake in hindsight because of the way it turned out. If it had turned a different way, we wouldn't be second-guessing her. Who hasn't made a mistake and wished you could turn the clock back and replay it all over again? Doesn't work that way.

If you look at the way Amy's riding changed after his mishap she wasn't as smooth as right before it. That horse definitely had a problem even before rounding the corner. It showed in his gate and in the way Amy was riding. Her riding didn't change as dramatically has his gate did but there was a difference. Sometimes adrenalyn and focus can get in the way of judgment but there must have been a second or two before the corner where something had to have briefly clicked in her brain saying something's wrong here. But until we've been in her shoes let's not judge to harshly until she's had her say. And I think after all the publicity about this that she should definitely make some kind of statement. If she doesn't then that would lead me to believe she knew there was a problem and didn't do anything about it immediately.

Question

Like everyone here the Le Samuria accident just makes me sick. It IS a different era: instant feedback/results/ rides on video/live feed/YouTube.

But,I don't think anyone is going to know what was going through Amy's mind during those minutes. Maybe not even Amy.

I am not an experienced eventer so maybe someone (with experience) could answer some questions?

-Does instinct (self preservation) and adrenaline just kick in at this **** level?

-When a **** horse going at these speeds "Locks-In" on a fence...what IS the best/safest means of pulling up? I am thinking that experienced riders have probably been through this and are on auto-pilot with responses?

- I just cannot understand why an experienced **** rider aiming for Pan-Am or WEG would even TAKE a chance at Rolex? I have seen many riders at Rolex pull up or retire because their horse just was NQR or it "wasn't their day" or lost a shoe...

So much does not make sense here to me. Perhaps that is why theyare called accidents?

Anyone who could explain; I would appreciate it.

There was 10 seconds between the bobble and the fence... cut that in half to give time for it being too close to bring the horse back after locking into a fence. She had 5 seconds to assess the situation, make a decision, and get a horse full of adrenaline going at a high speed, pulled up and stopped. That's a lot to do in 5 seconds. Think about a car accident - what decisions have you been able to make in the first 5 seconds of the accident?

"Eventer's do it 3 ways in 3 days"

Can someone please comment back on the youtube video to make those judgemental armchair quarterbacks shut up? Can't seem to do it myself, youtube won't let me log in.
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

I just did a time line, based on the counter on the web cast video.

The horse stumbled/injured itself at the video count time of 1:18:07.

9 seconds after injury, before horse rounded the corner, the commentator starts to say "I think she's gonna have to..."

11 seconds after injury, the horse starts to turn the corner for the jump
    16 seconds after injury, horse takes the jump
    30 seconds after injury, Amy gets off.