The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default Enough all ready!

I am a mare owner, a hunter breeder and a former and soon to be again, I hope, H/J rider. I have loved this board for the information I can and have found on breeding issues.

However, I am going to make a protest that all stallion owners cease and desist! While the moderator may not be inclined to stop what I see as ever aggressive online advertising, I as a COTH subscriber wish that all SO's would stop promoting their stallions with such abandon on this board. I may have no right to ask such a thing but here we really do try to ask questions that have to do with breeding and not get bombarded with advertising. If I want, as a mare owner, to toot the horn of the fab stallion I bred to, then that should be all the great advertising a stallion owner needs. While I have no interest in the breeders of colored horses, you all do seem to take up an inordinate amount of space on this board. In fact, the frequent hullabaloo over these colored horses makes me more than uninclined to ever breed for or to one. Let the owners of the offspring of your stallions do the job for you and may you SO owners choose to advertise, then do so in the COTH stallion issue or other venues of such.

I am in a mood, so this is humbly submitted as JMHO

I got a little irked when I got banned for 3 days for "advertising" for asking a question about what people would like to see on a video for a greenie. I emailed the moderator to ask how I could get banned for advertising when stallion owners use this board to get breedings, although I am sure they won't admit it. Of course I never got an explanation. Ohhhh weellll!

Default Why not?

With all due respect, butI disagree - but this bulletin board is for everybody. Why not restrict or ban people bragging about their mares or foals? It happens all the time. I think stallion owners who say that they believe in their stallions say that honestly. Whether that is objective or not, that's another question. But the same applies to mare and young horse owners. What would you propose? I am curious to hear your solution. Andras www.prairiepinesfarm.com

2Dogs, agreed 100%. Aside for the colored TB wars - in which most of you loons can't see past the color - I am really sick of the same group of SO's (not just the color breeders) suggesting their stallion for every friggin mare in any discipline. Just because your stallion is a jumper doesn't mean he can produce a hunter, event horse, dressage, or what have you. I suppose if I bred to stallion XYZ the baby would also come clean my house, walk the dog & get the paper for me as well since Mr XYZ is such a great producer. It makes the SO's that do this look rather classless. I know as a MO it's a huge red flag. I'm sorry your stallion isn't getting many breedings, but perhaps it's becasue you are barn blind & your boy really isn't all that. JMHO.
    Last edited by spacely; Dec. 6, 2006 at 11:31 PM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by spacely View Post
    . I'm sorry your stallion isn't getting many breedings, but perhaps it's becasue you are barn blind & your boy really isn't all that. JMHO.
    You know.. I agree

Barn blind... but hey.. maybe I am also I hope not.
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

I think we all are to some degree but sometimes I think SO's need to take a step back & really have a good, long, hard look at their program. There are SO's out there that do this but they are few & far between.
    Last edited by spacely; Dec. 7, 2006 at 02:31 AM. Reason: typo

I agree that some SOs are a bit aggressive. I am just a mare owner but I post frequently about the stallions that I love (but don't own). I rave about them. It is a shame that the SOs are not allowed to rave about their boys.

About the colored breeder comment, I would have to agree to some extent. However, I own a palomino TB mare myself and it seems a little wrong to lump us all together. I hope for the most part that I come across as fair and kind. I am the first to criticize my own horses' weaknesses. Please do not assume that all people that have color in their breeding program are bad.
    Chris
    Ladybug Hill--Hunters and Ponies
    WWSD? (what would Suerte do?)

Default MEEEOOOWWWW.....

I disagree... This board is for all to basically discuss what they choose. If you don't like the thread... move on.

This BB is infomative as well as entertaining. I for one love clicking on all the links, signatures, and by-lines.
    I ask you, where else can you find such a diverse group of opinions... it's wonderful!

Thank you Ladybug... my thoughts also. I have a Colored horse and I dont think i am crazy as most ppl label us this way. I dont just see color. I know my mare has faults and will point them out right away.

Some of us arn't on the first, only and mine is the best.... race that everyone seems to see.
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

LBH & Nootka, I'm not lumping you into that category. I believe it's pretty easy to tell who on this BB breeds for color first & everything else secondary & who doesn't. I happen to like the palominos & buckskins, but sometimes all that's there is the color.

I have NO problem with MO's raving about a particular stallion they've bred to. I think that's the BEST kind of advertising a SO can get. I'm talking about those who continually suggest their boy on every stallion suggestion thread. Also, those that bash other stallions for no reason other than to promote their own.
    Last edited by spacely; Dec. 6, 2006 at 11:31 PM. Reason: typos

I agree with Spacely..I am still trying to figure out how one stallion is the one to use if you want to refine and in the next thread you should use him if you want to add bulk. The SO says the stallion throws a quiet,AA work ethic. 2 days later the stallion is known for producing "Pro" rides. I wouldn't mind if one was sure of what the stallion produces, but come on... Can one stallion really be "SuperStallion" and be perfect for EVERY mare ? I am leaning towards no...
    I like when a stallion owner can say.. "My stallion would be great for your mare because he has proven to improve ___, ____ and____. I wouldn't count on him improving ___,___,or ___ with your mare."
    I am going to be sold on a SO who can REALLY tell me the pros and cons of the stallion and what he has to offer, I will take that over the marketing blurb anyday.

Wink

I love this forum and it is getting a drug for me.....instead to work, I just get into it and cannot stop.
    The only problem is that my English is not the best, so it doesn't always come out on the "paper" what I really wanted to tell. For that reason I have "relationship"-problems in this forum and get super frustrated and sad .......but I love it anyway!

bea
    www.fermebeaulieufarm.com

Yeah, well my stallion is.......

Kididng guys, just havin fun on your parts!
    www.spindletopfarm.net
    Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
    "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

I think it's fine to post a little brag every now and then, after all we all love to talk about how nice our horses are!! However I agree that SO's should avoid opinion threads about which stallion to choose - since they are clearly going to be biased.

You know the thought has crossed my mind that it is really unfair for stallion owers to keep advertising their boys while others can not advertise the horses they may have for sale. Both are selling something, one may be semen, the making of a foal, whereas the other may be selling the final product, the foal/horse!!
    I'm not selling anything, I don't own a stallion and don't have any horses for sale!! But I do think it is unfair to be banned for three days for discussing your sale horse while SO rave about their boys all the time!!

It would be interesting to hear what the MODS and ERIN think about this controversy.

JMHO
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by talloaks View Post
    ..... But I do think it is unfair to be banned for three days for discussing your sale horse while SO rave about their boys all the time!!

It would be interesting to hear what the MODS and ERIN think about this controversy.

JMHO
    Some true words spoken !!!

But on the other hand if I read the posts of certain stallion owners "my stallion improves refinement and next thread he throws bulk if somebody wants it". (Just an example, could be color, dressage ability and so on). I certainly get a clear picture of the habbits/behaviour of a stallion owner. I would be pretty sure that if I would search for a stallion I would not get an honest reliabe opinion at all from him/her and would need much more things info to be persuaded that that is the best stallion for my mare than from other SOs. So they push themselves out of the market with that stupid sort of advertisement. If they do not realise that, too bad for them, but not my problem. Same for the mare owners that do not see that, to bad for them if they jump on that sort of train, but not my problem. And there is the ignore button aswell... gg.
    Last edited by alexandra; Dec. 7, 2006 at 01:01 AM. Reason: typos sigh
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    Filly Londontime - Sandro Hit - Rouletto
    http://youtu.be/1O23BeiKpkY

I believe this BB is valuable for amount of informations about equestrian stuff, experience shared, good news...not so good news.
    The line in between information and advertising is thin sometimes and I do believe moderators recognize this as well.

2dogs, if you are bother by too much enthousiasm that possibly could be advertising, well when you will like to talk about your guy, you might face the same comment.

As Ferme Beaulieu mentionned, I struggle with the same language problem...Maybe others has it. It is not always easy to find the right words and we have to forgive.

Today it is colored stallions, another day that will be chestnut stallions...Who knows, we might get fed up with other breed !!!! I am kidding here.

I believe if it was clearly advertising, our moderators would act. There is a lot of post that does not fit my own interest and I just don't read them.

Happy Hollidays everyone !
    Élène

Fighting ovarian cancer ! 2013 huge turnaround as I am winning the battle !..
    http://esergerie.wordpress.com

2Dogs is offline Banned Premium Member
    Original Poster

Szipi - I agree - we do brag about our foals. I naively believe that we are doing a service to other breeders (and SOs) by saying: "LOOK - I crossed X with Y and look what I got". And I can report that I was breeding for a- hunter/jumper/dressage/sport/gymkana horse - and my audience can have a take away.
    If a SO has a performance horse and reports an achievement or a year of winning offspring, bravo, post away. I rely heavily on the stallion issue as a source of a way to look, compare and direct further inquiry. I notice a few of the most prolific SO posters do not advertise there. Too bad.
    I may have erred in singling out colored horse breeders, but those threads seem to go south very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Leena View Post
    ... There is a lot of post that does not fit my own interest and I just don't read them.
    Bingo.
    =*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
    ~Jilltx~

I thought it ironic to come to the board this morning and find this thread sandwiched between two threads REQUESTING stallion recommendatioins

You can't have it both ways! If you don't want to hear so much from SO then stop the Need Stallion Suggestions threads Oh and can I trade a breeding on Marker for one on XYZ as I sure could use one to clean my house and walk the dog!
    Pat Belskie - ASHEMONT Farm

http://www.ashemont.com
    Ashemont2@gmail.com