The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default RIP little man, mare remains in hospital

My flagship mare appeared to be colicing on Tuesday night, but then her water broke and she was in labor. Pregnancy was only 289 days old and the foal was dead.

My "emergency" vet offered to get her truck and trailer and serve as an ambulance to get the mare to Chino Valley Equine Hospital. We arrived about midnight.

The vets and techs sedated the mare, rolled her up on her back with her feet hoisted above her. The surgeon on call was able to turn the foal. The colt was in a breech birth position with head turned back and unbudgeable for my vet at home.

With the help of chains on the hooves, two men pulled the foal out. I watched from an observation room with tears in my eyes, fearing the worst until the colt slid to the floor. If the vets could not slide him out, he would have been cut out in pieces or they would have suggested a Caesarean section.

The prognosis is placentitis. The cord itself was VERY thick. The fluid was brown and nasty. His white hind socks were discolored and yellow.

My mare remains in the hospital with retained placenta. She is being flushed twice daily.

I've had 30-40 foals and this is my first dystocia. There was NO clue that anything was wrong until she started to show signs of colic.

I share this story as a reminder to everyone to have an emergency plan in place. I honestly was not prepared. I had loaned my own trailer out, and we just had to replace the engine in the pickup so hauling a heavy load would not have been a good idea.

Amazingly, this vet offered to get the mare to the hospital. The options would have been to put her down on the spot or let her suffer through the night and do it in the morning.

While I am sad, and worried, I am very thankful that there is good reason to be positive despite the ongoing retention of the placenta.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I'm glad that you were able to get your mare to the care that she needed; it is a testament to your responsibility as a breeder that you are providing your mare with the excellent care that she needs.
    I'll be jingling for you.
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

I am so sorry for your loss and jingling for you and your mare. Unusual things have seemed to happen since last fall to many breeders with slipped foals, spontaneous late term abortions, stillborn foals, etc. So sad. Please keep us updated about your mare.

Yes, emergency plans are always a good idea under all circumstances. We keep current emergency numbers handy every time we haul more than a few miles and have a phone network to help others out in the area specifically for situations such as yours. It's paid off many times for many friends to be part of a phone tree for horse emergencies.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

I'm so sorry.

It *is* a good reminder.

What a great vet. Sending prayers for your mare.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Oh Oakstable, so sorry to hear of this. I've had to deal with it once myself, but unfortunately we lost the mare too. I hope your mare pulls through for you.
    Secretplace Farm - Raising fine paint hunters since 1987
    www.spfarm.com

Oakstable. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I Hope all turns out well with your mare.

Oh Gosh... I'm so sorry for you and your mare's loss.

Jingles for your mare.

Your mare is very lucky, sounds like she will be OK. Jingles for a smooth recovery. I just hate to hear about these things. I have lost a foal and a mare and nothing is worse then that feeling of helplessness.
    ~Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away...

Oh, I'm so sorry! Jingles for your mare's recovery
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Jingles for your mare... I am so sorry to hear about the foal, thank goodness you were able to get her a ride to the evc that night.

I'm so sorry Jingles for your mare!

Default Nature is often not kind.

So sorry to hear of your loss! I have a Mare to foal in June it is a constant worrie foaling Horses she will go to the Hospital to foal its to hard on the Nerves! Hope your mare gets home to you soon.

Sally Im sorry!!
    This must be a bad year as I know several people, even myself who have dealt with this. I got lucky on my end, but others have not.
    Hugs to you,
    LaNet
    www.spindletopfarm.net
    Home of Puerto D'Azur - 1998 NA 100 Day Test Champion
    "Charcter is much easier kept than recovered"

Oh Sally, I'm so sorry! I'm jingling like mad that your girl pulls through!

So sorry for your loss, Oakstable. Sending jingles for the mare.

I am so very sorry. I hope your mare pulls through with no lasting damage. Your vet is to be commended. Sending cyber hugs.

I am so sorry for your losss...sending lots of jingles to your sweet mare.

While most foalings go well, thanks for taking the time to remind everyone, despite dealing with your own tragedy right now, how critical it is to have an emergency plan in place in case they don't.

Some dystocias just can't be handled on site without tragic results for the mare, not just the foal. They can happen fast and without warning.

I'm so sorry for your loss and will keep my fingers crossed that your mare comes through this with flying colors.

I'm so sorry to hear the terrible news and hope that your mare will be okay. Lots of hugs and jingles for you and your girl.
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

What a wonderful vet you have!! I applaud your swift action to save your mare. Lets hope she improves each hour she is at the facility. Even though I am sorry for your loss I am happy to see you react in a positive manner to do something about the situation at hand. Please keep us updated. I will be reading and waiting.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies