The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Default Do 1/2 of Sugarcreeks horses go to slaughter?

I may have misheard what they said on Cleveland Channel 19, but they mentioned that 1/2 the horses go to slaughter...

I know with the race tracks around the neighborhoods it produces alot of horses but that seems like a high number - but I guess we are talking about people out to make a buck! (Horses for meat go from $400 - $600)

So I know alot of you go to auctions, is it 50%?

Your chance to inform the ignorant.

K

I DON'T NEED ANYMORE HORSES, I DON'T NEED ANYMORE HORSES, I DON'T NEED ANYMORE HORSES - WELL MAYBE JUST ONE LITTLE ONE!

That is probably a conservative figure.

Meat buyers are out to make money. Well I should hope so I don't know of a business that isn't. But $400 to $600 for a meat horse? Prices haven't been that high for a long time now. Last load my neighbor took to slaughter in Can. the top price was .31 a lb average was .24 take a pretty big horse to bring $600
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Quote Originally Posted by RU2U View Post
    I may have misheard what they said on Cleveland Channel 19, but they mentioned that 1/2 the horses go to slaughter...

I know with the race tracks around the neighborhoods it produces alot of horses but that seems like a high number - but I guess we are talking about people out to make a buck! (Horses for meat go from $400 - $600)

So I know alot of you go to auctions, is it 50%?

Your chance to inform the ignorant.

K

I DON'T NEED ANYMORE HORSES, I DON'T NEED ANYMORE HORSES, I DON'T NEED ANYMORE HORSES - WELL MAYBE JUST ONE LITTLE ONE!
    There is no way of knowing the figures, because even killer buyers will go thru what they buy and resell anything they think will have a buyer somewhere else for more than slaughter pay.
    Just think that the general figure of 100,000 horses going to slaughter every year will now need to be disposed of any one other way, at a cost to all of us, when thru slaughter they had a better use.

Guess that the 99% someone quoted being for the misguided slaughter ban as proposed will have to FIND the room for those horses.
    Not a make believe room in someone's pasture or barn that was already looking for a horse, as is done today.
    NEW homes, so they don't in fact replace a "rescued" horse with another, that would have been bought by that "adopter" and so now is itself unwanted and then goes to slaughter.

No more playing musical chairs "adopting" horses. The reality of those 100,000 horses will come to roost home, year after year.
    Will see, if they do go ahead and close the borders in a meaningful way, where all those horses will end up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Guess that the 99% someone quoted being for the misguided slaughter ban as proposed will have to FIND the room for those horses.
    Not a make believe room in someone's pasture or barn that was already looking for a horse, as is done today.
    NEW homes, so they don't in fact replace a "rescued" horse with another, that would have been bought by that "adopter" and so now is itself unwanted and then goes to slaughter.

No more playing musical chairs "adopting" horses. The reality of those 100,000 horses will come to roost home, year after year.
    Will see, if they do go ahead and close the borders in a meaningful way, where all those horses will end up.
    Typical answer from a pro-slaughter person - "not my problem" (if you don't let me kill them, I want nothing to do with them!)

I assume from what you say here that you are among the “status quo” of the pro-slaughter crowd that wants nothing to do with helping or giving homes to any of the horses whose lives are now saved by the slaughter ban. You’ve stated more than once that essentially it’s a situation of “let those who want to ban slaughter deal with all of the horses whose lives are now spared”.

This sounds like none of the pro-slaughter people are interested in, or care, about horses at all. Just as suspected all along – horse slaughter was their “game” and had nothing to do with horses. Now that the “game” is over, the true colors of the pro-slaughter people is showing in plain view. They want no part of helping the horses who now are not going to be slaughtered – it’s someone else’s (the anti-slaughter people's) problem. Just like bratty children who don’t get their own way and have a tantrum and refuse to compromise or change their behavior. It's "my way or the highway" mentality I guess.

When slaughter was happening in this country, many, many anti-slaughter people worked tirelessly to save as many horses as they could from that horrific death. But now that the tables have turned, I don’t expect to see many (if any) pro-slaughter people working for the benefit of the horses who are no longer going to be slaughtered. A very, very sad reality, especially since it involves people who have claimed to care about horses! NOT! Or is it that, as suspected, they only care about the horses that they could slaughter for a few measly bucks.

There may very well be a lot of horses right now that will need homes, but, when the slaughter market ends those that are breeding with the slaughter market as their back up plan will stop and the number will drop dramatically. Heck if just the AQHA became more responsible in their breeding that would take care of the excess horses.

Now wait a sec: Horses have been part of my life forever. Showing, breeding, whatever. I have never sent a horse to slaughter myself but have for sure known many who have. They are not bad people. I have given money to help out in some cases and support local animal shelters but I have no intentions of filling my barn with rescue horses. I sure as hell dont want to be considered pro slaughter because of that. That is just not fair. Rescue them if you can and good for you but dont call the rest of the world because they dont want to home unwanted and likely useless horses. Our hay is $330.00/ton and up. Unless you are printing $$ in the basement where is the space and money going to come from?

What Dinah-do said.

It would not be hard for concerned horse people in every state to implement a program like the KEHC where people can drop off unwanted horses of all breeds and ages..where just like the local shelter, they are evaluated and rehomed if possible, if not they are euthanized.
    It's just that freakin' simple...

Well the statement pro slaughter people will not help rehome horses is a bunch of BS!!! I myself offered on this forum to take a bred mare in and give it a place to foal. The answer from this forum? Since I'm pro slaughter I would never be trusted to take a horse in as I'd just sell it to slaughter. Pretty much the ignorant type thinking I see here alot.

We have the FOIA'd owner shipper forms and the Ohio Livestock Dealer reports. Nearly 10,000 horses go to slaughter from Ohio - the majority purchased by Bouvry and two Ohio kill buyers, Frank Bauer and LeRoy Baker. The Bouvry and Frank Bauer horses go to Canada. The Baker horses usually go to Texas. This has been the habit for years.

Many of the horses at Sugarcreek are brought to that sale by middlemen like Ramey, Browning and McKay.

We have weekly reports showing buyers and sellers in attendance and the truck information for those commercial dealers as well.
    bryn

Default The News Story-

I viewed it today-

http://tinyurl.com/2p8cdg

Additional in-depth footage-

http://www.animals-angels.de/index.p...synlink:linkID

$400-$600 stated by the one meat buyer. I know that prices have hit rock bottom in the mid-west, but here in the Northeast, they're still that high. Meatman was seen paying as high as $650 recently at the sale- for slaughter horses. Interesting how the prices vary across the nation.
    Last edited by Marli; Apr. 27, 2007 at 12:22 PM.

30+ horses from Sugar Creek ended up at an auction here is VA last weekend. 3 of the horses did not receive bids. I called all the local rescues but again they were all full. Four horse owners brought one horse each dropped them off at the auction house and stated they didn't care what they brought they just didn't want to take them back home.
    It costs about $150 to Euthanize a horse here. $100-400 to dispose. Who is responsible for these horses if they are dropped off?
    Some horses only brought $60-80 a head.

Unless the horse goes to slaughter its not a slaughter horse. Just because a meat buyer buys a horse its not a slaughterr horse. Most horsdes bought buy most meat buyers do not go to slaughter. It makes no differance to the slaughter plants where a horse comes from, they have a high and low price they pay regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by county View Post
    Most horsdes bought buy most meat buyers do not go to slaughter.
    Oh come on, do you really think that anyone with a brain is going to believe that one?

Bouvry does not buy horses for resale.

The owner shipper forms are the slaughter reports.

The figure of just under 10,000 horses going to slaughter is an accurate number based on the owner shipper reports and the Ohio livestock reports.
    bryn

If they have a brain yes very much so. THe buyers here take about 40% of the horses they buy to slaughter the rest are sold as riders. Do the math, take a look around the country at all the auctions, figure out how many horses are sold to meat buyers in those 100's of auctions every month. Then take a look at how many horses are slaughtered. Yes " if " you have a brain its pretty easy to figure out.

I have been saying all along that we must provide low cost euthanasia when necessary as an alternative to slaughter. I'm completely in favor of providing this service to households that can prove their low income, just as we supply free spay and neuter vouchers to them. In Los Angeles, anyone with an income under $40,000 can have their dog or cat spayed for free. This is what needs to happen with euthanasia. Sure it's going to cost money. Have you ever been part of a government's budget process? If you saw all the things we throw money at - lots of money - you would see it is entirely possible to subsidize equine euthanasia and disposal. We subsidize stuff that would make you stand and shake your head in disbelief all day.

I also suspect that the reality of having to euthanize thousands of horses a year, rather than having them conveniently sell at an auction where the seller can live in a delusional world where they went to a "good home" will make people think twice about breeding low quality animals, breeding animals they don't have the knowledge or time to train, etc. I think the pictures that have circulated the Internet of piles of dead dogs and cats in plastic barrels behind an animal shelter have done more to encourage spay/neuter than all of the polite and informative information in the world. When people cannot avoid the results of their irresponsible behavior, and it makes them feel guilty, or it causes them to be socially shunned, that's when you will finally see change take place.

P.S. If you have knowingly sent a horse to slaughter, you are a bad person in my opinion. There is no excuse for that. Were all of these so-called "good person" really all so broke they couldn't possibly have come up with $300 for euthanasia and disposal? Do none of them live where you can bury a horse with a backhoe in the backyard and not pay for disposal? Do none of them have the ability to accurately shoot a horse in the head, which costs virtually nothing? Somehow I doubt these things.

The reality of those 100,000 horses will come to roost home, year after year.
    I have to agree with this 100%--I have sat on the sidelines as this whole debate has unfolded, and believe me, I'm not pro slaughter, but I just can't see where all these horses are going to end up. I'm as horse-loving as any pro can be, and do my share of rescuing, but I only have so many stalls and so much money to spend on feed and vet/farrier care. I also have rent, and other responsibilities.

The fact is that there are more horses than homes.

You can berate people all you want for not taking in another hungry mouth, but until I see a realistic plan for an alternative to slaughter, I will remain on the sidelines, niether for nor against.

And IMO anyone who thinks a person shouldn't sell their livestock freely is a bad person so that evens us out. Its not about being able to afford to kill your horse at all. Its about some people raise livestock for a living. I'll bet the farm you don't take your pay check and burn it why should anyone else?