The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Horse failed pre-purchase. is it wrong to ask owner to pay for half 2c results

I just vetted a horse that I loved and she did not pass. Not one major thing but several small things that could be big things that would need more vetting and its simply not worth it for me to put more money in. The owner thought that everything would be fine etc but cleary there is an issue. The owner will want to know every detail about what is wrong with the horse.

Do you normally tell the owner what is the problem since they are not paying for the report?
    Last edited by trentequestrian; Apr. 21, 2007 at 02:44 PM.

IMO - The buyer is responsible for the vettting. Yeah it sucks to be you..but it's part of the pre-purchase ordeal. Better to take the hit ahead of time than not to do the PPE and be unpleasantly surprised. You could ask..the seller may surprise you and offer to pay half but they're by no means obligated to.
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

Seriously? It's $150. Tell them why you're not buying the horse. If I heard about someone who did what you're suggesting, I would never do business with that person. JMHO.

-Catherine Cullen

Default Wrong!

Yes, it is wrong not to share. Why would you keep that info private? Who does it benefit? They should know, and perhaps lower their price on the horse to reflect the negative points.

I think it would be tacky to ask them to pay for anything either.

Look at it this way.... the last PPE I did was over $1,200. You are getting off cheap!
    They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken...

It's the buyers responsibility to pay for the vet check, all of it, no matter the results. In my sales contract, it states 1) buyer pays for all vet check tests and anything else, ie pulling shoes and putting them back on for X-Rays 2) that seller is allowed to have access to all vet records no matter what the "result", from the moment the horse is vetted. It makes life so much easier as a seller.

Personally, if you're not buying the horse, I'd move on. I guarantee the seller is just as upset as you are about the results... and probably really didn't know something would show up.

What did show up for curosity sake?
    Platinum Equestrian - Florida, USA

Well I guess the cost of the horse was super cheap to start with and I paid a months board on her for a trial, plus another $100 in trailering.

the way I look at it when I am selling a horse I would want to be able to say the horse is sound and be certain of it so I would have done at least basics. But I completely understand lpeople don't do this and that is fine. But it seems almost a sneaky way to find out what is wrong with your horse by just letting someone else do it.

I don't know. I think I just won't offer to give the results (fax report) but if he asks maybe then.

Quote Originally Posted by trentequestrian View Post
    But it seems almost a sneaky way to find out what is wrong with your horse by just letting someone else do it.
    You're holding back $150 worth of important information out of spite for what a person MIGHT have been thinking when they tried to sell their horse? Please, be the bigger person here. Take three deep breaths and fax the report. The Karma benefits alone will be worth it.

-Catherine Cullen

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Yes, it's wrong to ask the seller to pay for access to the results, especially in this situation where the seller allowed you so much access to this horse and it was obviously sound during that time.

The seller extended you the courtesy of a MONTH's trial, yes? That is almost unheard of these days and they took a considerable risk in doing so. If you "loved" the horse enough to want to buy it after that, I would guess the seller represented it to you fairly.

It sounds like you are passing because of problems that MIGHT develop down the road. Fair enough, but be decent here and give them a copy of the vet's report. If you can't do it out of generosity to the person who dealt so graciously with you... do it out of self interest; you don't want to be known as someone who is petty and hard to work with.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I agree with Cbiscuit. Why should you hide infromation because of what they might have been thinking. There is good reason in my mind to not share. If they knew about it they might even treat it.
    What color would a choking smurf be?????

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Yes, it's wrong to ask the seller to pay for access to the results, especially in this situation where the seller allowed you so much access to this horse and it was obviously sound during that time.

The seller extended you the courtesy of a MONTH's trial, yes? That is almost unheard of these days and they took a considerable risk in doing so. If you "loved" the horse enough to want to buy it after that, I would guess the seller represented it to you fairly.

It sounds like you are passing because of problems that MIGHT develop down the road. Fair enough, but be decent here and give them a copy of the vet's report. If you can't do it out of generosity to the person who dealt so graciously with you... do it out of self interest; you don't want to be known as someone who is petty and hard to work with.
    Well in respect to the trial, which was one week, I did pay for the horse in full prior to taking it with a contract that if the horse did not suit me I would send it back for a refund minus a certain amount. The reason I did take it on trial and not just try the horse and vet it at the place is because there was no facilities what so ever. Just a small enclosure for the horses to be turned out in. So I was not able to actually see the horse go other then a quick trot in the driveway.

Your vetting results are between you and your vet. Your vet needs your permission to release the information.

I think $300 is a very, very low price for a vetting and part of the risk we assume as buyers, after all, it is for our protection. That $300 is probably well spent if it saves you a future headache in medical bills. As a buyer, I would pay the full vetting myself and not expect the seller to pay anything nor would I release the results to the seller.

You should tell them so other people don't have to pay the vetting to find out whats wrong. The owner probably didn't know about these problems until the failed vet check. Owners aren't vets they can't tell everything thats wrong. And that is a very cheap vetting
    There comes a point in every rider's life when she wonders if it's all worth it. Then one look at her horse, and she realizes - it is.

Why would you even think of not telling the seller of the results?
    $300.00 is a bargain for a PPE, you should hear what most of us pay.

It is of no consequence for you to divulge this information so IMO you should just do it.
    Seriously if $150.00 is a big deal to you perhaps you should reconsider purchasing a horse atm and keep saving until you are in a better position to afford all that horse seeking/ownership entails. Just a thought.

My concern here is the welfare of the horse. Things showed up in the PPE - it is in the best interests of the horse to inform the person who owns the horse, so that any treatment or preventative care can be done!

That is a very cheap vetting. Unfortunately loosing money on vetting is all part of buying a horse. I'd say about 50% of the horses I've vetted didn't pass for one reason or another. It's my loss, and I understand that. I would never hold back information on a vetting from an owner; this could be detrimental to the horse itself.

It sounds like the owner doesn't ride much (no facilities) and probably didn't notice the problem from watching the horse on the ground. Other owners just aren't knowledgable enough to pick up on it. These are also things you should evaluate when going horse shopping.

It occurs to me that if someone unscrupulous wanted a free vet diagnosis on a horse they could advertise them for sale and get them vetted for free. Of course they'd have to be ready to sell too...

It does seem a bit wrong to have to pay a lot of money to find out if something you want to buy is worth buying or not. But that's the way it's done in the horses and second hand cars world, so obviously you must accept it unless you want to be vilified

My suggestion would be offer the results in brief verbally, and suggest some sort of payment if the owners want to see the xrays or bloodwork or other documents you commissioned, (if you have them and not the vet) if it means a lot to you.

I was just horse shopping for a client. We narrowed it down to 3 possiblities all 3 got PPE's at the buyers expense also at her choice. She couldnt make up her mind and in the end it was her $. Out of the 3 only one passed , One was servicabley sound the the other had several OCD in both hocks.

When we got the results we disscused with the owners why we would not be purchasing said horses. What medically was found. Its in the horses best intrest to relay any medical information you find. Why take it out on the horse by not allowing the owner important information for further care...especially over 300$$.

I am a little shocked that its even a question as to what you should do.
    Not trying to be a B#$%^ but really if someone PPE'd your horse and then said they were not buying because of something on that exam ....but wouldnt tell you unless you paid them how would you feel?!?!
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

See I don't think you're "taking it out on the horse" not to tell - it's the owner's responsibility to know about and care for the horse's welfare, not yours, and most things that are found are non-life threatening, aren't they?

When passing on vetting info you're doing it to be courteous. Or to get a discount.

It's ridiculous to have several vets examine the same horse and find the same results becuse buyers don't share information, but again, unscrupulous sellers will not pass along vetting results, and may try to mask health issues next time a buyer comes out, if they know the vet results.

Which is why we all have to pay for our own vetting from a vet we trust, sad to say.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by trentequestrian View Post
    Well in respect to the trial, which was one week, I did pay for the horse in full prior to taking it with a contract that if the horse did not suit me I would send it back for a refund minus a certain amount. The reason I did take it on trial and not just try the horse and vet it at the place is because there was no facilities what so ever. Just a small enclosure for the horses to be turned out in. So I was not able to actually see the horse go other then a quick trot in the driveway.
    Hmmm, I guess I assumed when you said that you paid a month's worth of board for the horse during the trial that you had a month's trial... but either way, it was generous of the seller to allow a trial off their property, because that does entail a certain amount of risk to the seller.

In any case, I really can't see what you would gain by witholding the vet results. The last PPE I had done was five years ago and cost almost a grand... at $300 you got off pretty cheaply, and I wouldn't try to make the seller subsidize your expenses.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina