The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Arrow Live Oak... FINAL UPDATE/PICS

The Budweiser Live Oak International opens today at Live Oak Farm in Ocala, Florida. Here is a little bit of the history of the Live Oak CDE...

"Since its inception in 1993, the Live Oak Combined Driving Event has become one of the premier Combined Drivng Events in North America. Since 1995, the Event has hosted Selection Trials for both the United States and Canadian Equestrian Teams and in 1998, was granted international sanctioning by the Federal Equestre Internationale. In 2000, a classic car show was added to the Live Oak venue. The car show has grown to over 150 beautifully restored classic cars which are on display throughout the final day of the Live Oak Event. In 2002, Live Oak hosted the Horse Fever auction, which raised over $800,000 for numerous Marion County charities. In 2003 the event was elevated to a CAIA, the only event of this level in the United States. Due to the success of the Horse Fever Auction, we will again work with The Marion Cultural Alliance to host an equestrian art auction to benefit charities.

The site of the Event is Charlotte Weber's pristine Live Oak Plantation, in Ocala, Florida, one of the South's largest and most extensive Thoroughbred operations, spanning over 4,500 acres."

We are going to be moving in early tomorrow morning. Sam is showing in Intermediate Single Pony. I would expect a large class, in fact it could be as many as 12/15 entrants. I don't know how many drivers are entered total but I have been told it could be close to 90.

There is one major change this year.... for the 1st time at Live Oak there is no standing presentation. Presentation will be judged on the go. For those drivers who feel presentation is the major part of their show and put forth that special extra effort Freedman Harness is sponsoring special presentation awards for all classes as well as special cash awards for the grooms of the best overall Intermediate and FEI presentation entries.

Sam and AJ are as ready as anyone can be. They spent last weekend (Saturday and Sunday) up at Kingsforth Hall working with their trainer, Sterling Graburn. Monday, Sam did a little light dressage work and put AJ through her cones course here on our farm. Yesterday, She just took AJ on a nice ride (bareback), just the two of them. After school today Sam will go over the checklist for the trailer again, clean her presentation carriage and harness, and AJ has the day off.

She is driving a very nice Doe Run Spider Phaeton for her dressage and cones. It has light Oak wheels and trim with Patent Leather fenders. The carriage is black with grey cord upholstery. Sam will do the major cleaning and waxing tonight, cover it, load it on the trailer, and just touch it up before her class on Friday. She will use her marathon carriage to excercise AJ tomorrow and then just have to clean her marathon carriage and harness on Friday afternoon after her dressage class. Advanced has dressage tomorrow and Intermediate goes on Friday.

I know most of the folks we know here in Florida are either showing (a few of them) or volunteering (a lot of them) at Live Oak. Volunteers make it happen. Thanks to all of y'all for helping out. A show like this one uses a LOT of volunteers.

If you are planning on being at the show as a spectator watch for us and say "Hey". I don't know Sam's number yet or her stall number either but we will be there.

I will be staying in Ocala Friday and Saturday night. I will try to keep y'all posted as to what is happening each day if I can. I probably won't have any pictures 'til first of the week.

Don
    Last edited by horseyfolks; Mar. 27, 2007 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Update
    *Charter Member-Blue Tarp State Driving Clique*
    "You can't always get what you want, but if you try, you just might find you get what you need" Mick Jagger

Best of luck Team Orem.
    Have a safe trip and enjoy the show.
    The gang up here will be thinking of you all and look forward to the show summary.
    Denise

Default I knew it was time for Live Oak!

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed and looking eagerly forward to daily reports from the show.

Leia
    Hey look, I joined ANOTHER forum! And you thought horses were addictive.

Default As one of the volunteers on Saturday on a hazard---

I will be cheering Sami, AJ and Joanne for all I am worth as they come through our hazard. Don, tell Sami to remember to sing and breath!!

This is the one show a year I always work (going on my 5th year now) .
    Finally have made it as hazard judge, now called observer.

Good luck to all I know who are competiting.

Default Good Luck to

all of those competing and volunteering, I know it can get rough out in the sun all day watching all those nice horses go around the course. I wish every one a safe trip and all the goes wrong is a little sunburn

I wish I could be there but I am on marestare and I will update you all as soon as Midget decides on the arrival time of her creation.

Have fun

Karen

Good luck all! And have fun
    Pat Belskie - ASHEMONT Farm

http://www.ashemont.com
    Ashemont2@gmail.com

Go for it, all! I know you'll do well, and we'll be thinking of you!

Don, please keep us updated as you are able.

Dale

Smile

I have spent the last 2 days at Live Oak. The grounds are absolutely gorgeous with groundskeepers still mowing the lush grass, and the weather is perfect. I have hauled Rylee down both days and let her chill out in the horse trailer and then driven her. Working on attitude, attitude, attitude. Yesterday she was so good that I wanted the dressage judging done NOW. Rylee will stay home today and I will work her here and try to get her mentally tired (relaxed?) rather than physically tired(impossible). I have walked the 7 hazards with 5 gates at least 6 times and have a pretty good idea of where I am going. Will work more on that this afternoon before the official course walk. I am not trying to prove how fast we are. I just want reasonable flowing routes to give this mare a good experience. She is still very green to be showing Intermediate....especially at Live Oak. The Gulch looks particularly treacherous and intimidating. I believe most of the turnovers take place here. We are definitely playing it safe on that one. Intermediate is doing the Timbers for the first time. Routes do not look too bad.
    In Intermediate, there are 13 ponies, 20 horses, 5 pony pairs, 5 horse pairs. Advanced has 12 ponies, 6 horses, 3 pony pairs, 9 horse pairs, and 3 horse fours.

Wow. I'm surprised there are no pony 4's in advanced since it is a selection trial for pony worlds. I would have thought there would be at least one or two.
    Can't wait to hear more.

Here's a little cheer for Sterling, a strong competitor and very successful in the past and with loads of promise for a very bright future in driving. I expect he will be tough to beat.

Default Go Ponies!!

We'll be tailgating, as usual, next to the water and covered bridge...cheering on the ponies and especially the Welshies!! Unfortunately, my hubby had to be out of town, on an extended business trip, so we will not be having the delicious food he usually serves up.

We're still putting up our tent and banner and rooting for the ponies though. Friends are coming to hang out for the day...I told them it's a BYO this year...LOL. Looks like the weather will be fabulous. Everyone stay safe and have fun.
    Leah McFarlin
    Winding Oaks Welsh & Sport Ponies in Morriston, FL
    www.wowelsh.com
    Home of BF Oliver Twist & Misty Mountain Brynmor

Quote Originally Posted by Wowelsh View Post
    We'll be tailgating, as usual, next to the water and covered bridge...cheering on the ponies and especially the Welshies!! Unfortunately, my hubby had to be out of town, on an extended business trip, so we will not be having the delicious food he usually serves up.

We're still putting up our tent and banner and rooting for the ponies though. Friends are coming to hang out for the day...I told them it's a BYO this year...LOL. Looks like the weather will be fabulous. Everyone stay safe and have fun.

Can anyone tailgate anywhere? Do you have to have special passes to get by the water? I tried to find info on the website but couldn't find anything.
    Corner Stone Farm
    Weeki Wachee,FL .Follow us on FB!

Red face

Price, you are right. There are 3 pony 4's: Elizabeth Keathley, Allison Stroud, and Boots Wright.

Arrow Thursday night update!

Our first day at Live Oak is history. We moved in this morning, arriving about 9:30 AM. After getting AJ settled in his stall we (Sam and I) went over to the show office to get checked in and pick up the packet. We did a bit of visiting and headed back to the barn area. Corky Parisini was there and AJ got a nice little massage and then Sam hitched him and did some light dressage in one of the 3 warmup dressage arenas. After that we walked hazards.

Live Oak is such a beautiful place to compete at. I've got a couple pics to try and give those of you who have not been there an idea of what it is like. At 5:00 PM everyone took part in the official course walk. Most of the drivers got a surprise.... about halfway through the course walk we all came around a corner on our ATVs and there were a whole bunch of Budweiser (the major sponsor ) people giving everyone cold beer (in cans), Budweiser Mardi Gras Beads, and tee shirts! At the end of the course walk there were more folks with big plastic bags picking up the empty cans and papers as we drove through as well as giving out more free beer.

After the course walk, instead of going to the BBQ, Sam elected to walk her dressage test. She went over it for about an hour, we checked on AJ giving him more hay and filling his water buckets, and we left for home.

Sam does her dressage tomorrow and I'll try to update y'all tomorrow night. Here are a few pictures from Live Oak today....

The first pics are of Sam in one of the warmup dressage arenas.

http://www.floridafatboy.com/live%20oak/warmup001.JPG

http://www.floridafatboy.com/live%20oak/warmup002.JPG

The next two pics are of the marathon course.....

http://www.floridafatboy.com/live%20oak/course001.JPG

http://www.floridafatboy.com/live%20oak/course002.JPG

This pic is taken across one of the hazards (the Eagles Nest). The huge white tent you see in the background is the temporary barn for the Budweiser Clydesdales....

http://www.floridafatboy.com/live%20oak/course003.JPG

Here is a pic of the Vendors Village behind one of the hazards...

http://www.floridafatboy.com/live%20oak/vendors001.JPG

This is a picture of "the Gulch". This hazard has probably caused more turnovers at Live Oak than any other hazard there. In the picture I am taking the shot from the top of the hazard, just to the right of the entrance gate. You can get an idea of how "steep and deep" the Gulch is by looking at the center of the picture. That is Sam down in the bottom taking a minute to wave for the camera while she was walking the hazard.

http://www.floridafatboy.com/live%20oak/gulch002.JPG

Finally, here is a picture of Sam, Bobbie Cook (the owner of Hunters Creek Farm and the U.S. distributer of WCC Carriages), and Harvey Lagasse (on the left) the WCC Florida Sales Rep. Bobbie is Sam's Carriage Sponsor and Harvey is both a family friend and one of Sam's biggest fans.....

http://www.floridafatboy.com/live%20...mbobharvey.JPG

Thanks for taking time to read my post and look at the pictures.... I'll try to have more tomorrow.

Don
    *Charter Member-Blue Tarp State Driving Clique*
    "You can't always get what you want, but if you try, you just might find you get what you need" Mick Jagger

What a beautiful venue... but it's so FLAT! Is the whole marathon like that? And free beer too? Gee, wish I was there with Maggie
    Pat Belskie - ASHEMONT Farm

http://www.ashemont.com
    Ashemont2@gmail.com

Wowelsh--I will see you as I am working the water hazard!! Will you throw a poor working volunteer a couple of scraps?

Gray17--the tailgating is a pricy affair from what I have heard. There are only so many places to tail gate. These folks get real serious--they have canopies, tables, all kinds of goodies.

Good luck to all competitors.

Pat--Live Oak is rolling plains. That particular part of Ocala is not as hilly as some parts. There may be some rises and falls but for the most part it is pretty flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartfall View Post
    Wowelsh--I will see you as I am working the water hazard!! Will you throw a poor working volunteer a couple of scraps?

Gray17--the tailgating is a pricy affair from what I have heard. There are only so many places to tail gate. These folks get real serious--they have canopies, tables, all kinds of goodies.

Hey Cartfall...come by and say hello! We're not serving up any food this year, because my husband is the cook and he's not here. No one would want to eat my cooking...LOL. On top of that, the 2 tailgating spots and our tent are running us over $400, so I don't want to go all out, without my hubby here to enjoy it.

I'm planning to pick up some picnic food for us and maybe some snacks to have around. I'll probably have some extra cold drinks around, if you get dry. ;-) See you there!
    Leah McFarlin
    Winding Oaks Welsh & Sport Ponies in Morriston, FL
    www.wowelsh.com
    Home of BF Oliver Twist & Misty Mountain Brynmor

Sooooo...how'd she do??

Leia
    Hey look, I joined ANOTHER forum! And you thought horses were addictive.

Just looked for the millionth time and finally the dressage scores are posted on the Live Oak Website. Google Live Oak CDE and then results. I think Sam was in 9th out of 12 or 13.
    A friend there said it is really hot and I'm hoping everyone has a good, safe day today. The heat will make the day harder on everyone.

Hey, Don, I want pictures of Sam going through those marathon obstacles!! Especially the Gulch (if you can bear to look...)