The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Talking Roll call for Difficult Run

So, are "the usual suspects" planning to be there?

I just entered at evententries (FYI, and they have listed a "Grounds Fee" of $40, which Steve Symansky assures me is a mistake...)

I'm thinking that this will be the first HT for many of us in Northern VA, between the weather and the Herpes Virus outbreak...
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Dr. D.... put our entry in the mail this am.

I'll be there with my camera. Money/minor horsey health issues will keep us from competing until a little later in the season. Hoping for great weather for those that will be competing! Peepers are the first sign of Spring and Difficult Run opening day is the SECOND!
    You can't fix stupid.

Yes, indeed--I agree!

(It looks like temps close to *70* later this week...Woo Hoo! A reason to live! )

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Hi Dr. D-

Sent in my entry this morning! Also entered Redlands. Hopefully that will go well and I will be happily galloping (ok, with Silver lopping) around the BN course at Frying Pan. Two years ago we were eliminated at the old BN water. Maybe the new water will be more inviting. I am not schooling it dry because I know Silver, when water is in it he'll say "WHAT? That's not how it looked last time. I don't think so!"

So wish us luck so one day I can actually say we completed a rec HT, even if it is only BN!

See ya there!!! And good luck to everyone.

Im going as well. I love the event, spending the whole weekend, everything run really well, good restaurants. Oh and I guess my goal is NOT to get eliminated at the 2nd water on the training course like last spring!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Irish View Post
    at Frying Pan. Two years ago we were eliminated at the old BN water. Maybe the new water will be more inviting. I am not schooling it dry because I know Silver, when water is in it he'll say "WHAT? That's not how it looked last time. I don't think so!"

So wish us luck so one day I can actually say we completed a rec HT, even if it is only BN!
    A tip my trainer gave me is make sure you are concentrating on the out so your horse understands the question. For a horse that might be a little sticky at the water, the "new" water can be a little tough because the out is so small.

Good luck!
    You can't fix stupid.

B Street -

Great advice! I think what also makes it tough is all the other jumps around the water...but I do always worry and think only about the in - not the out.

Thanks!

Irish, absolutely, those two roll tops before the water can make for a little confusion, too!
    You can't fix stupid.

I just wanted to add for eventmom (though we have already discussed this ), your daughter will have a *blast*--this is SUCH a well-run event!

RideIrish, that's great that you're entering!
    How has Silver been doing lately? (I haven't seen you--or him--in action since the first Morven schooling jumper show...seems like a million years ago! )

Yeah, the "dreaded water complex for BN"...since it's never filled between HTs, it's impossible to school it as an actual "water jump or cross-through"; andwhen she was brand-new to eventing, I made the mistake of schooling it dry with The Princess, and then taking her to her first HT there (at BN). She came up to it on course, said "something's wrong with this picture--I've been through here before, and there was no WATER in there!! "; gathered herself in an attempt to jump *the* *whole* *thing*; thought better of it; and proceeded to do the little "I will NOT be getting my tootsies damp today cha cha cha dance", at which point we were (ahem) eliminated. (I had schooled her over a number of water complexes prior to this, but re-doubled my efforts, and spent the rest of that spring schooling water; after we had a "Come to Jesus meeting" at the Foxcroft water in June, she has never had a single problem since...)

Anyway, good advice from BStreet--a little tricky in this particular case, since there is so much in front of you--but just try to keep your eye trained right (on the small trot out, beside the Training and Prelim logs...)

We should have some sort of informal get-together on Saturday night, since so many of us always wind up going--either as volunteers or to compete!

Dr. D -

First and foremost a get together sounds like a fabulous idea! No matter what happens I will need a cocktail!

Silver is doing well. Although we had to take a break from riding for about 3 weeks because of weather (no indoor)and the EHV outbreak. He has had Pied Pipers chiro working on him and just visited Dr. Allen's for our Spring juice up!). We will be schooling as much XC between now and Difficult Run which will include lots of water, though in the past year it hasn't been a problem when schooling at Foxcroft, Rubicon and Frying Pan's other water. I hear that Redland's BN water is not very inviting so that will be a good test since we have never schooled there. I am hoping to get to Gordonsdale and anywhere else we can come up with for some schooling.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and my thoughts positive that the water issue is behind us cause it sure stinks to enter and pay the money to get eliminated because your 1300lb horse from a place with lots of rain, bogs and water doesn't want to get his size 3 tootsies wet! Ah, but I still love him like my luggage!

I'll be there most likely volunteering... might be bringing some beverages along with me if I end up jump judging...
    -my life-
    Translation
    fri [fri:] fritt fria (adj): Free
    skritt [skrit:] skritten (noun): Walk

Sent mine in this morning- will be postmarked Prague.

Does anyone knw the status of the Trakehner for schooling? 8-(
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I just stopped by FP about 20 minutes ago, actually--I wanted to check out the footing after all this "moisture" we've had lately...it doesn't look too bad (I'm planning to go out there on Saturday and school around some, with a few students--jump around a few courses at the hunter show while there...*that* should be interesting! ) It looks like they've already aerated the main field, though there are still some really muddy areas where it's lower lying. The cow field (with the Trakehners) is open--no snow fence or any other sort of barrier. The old water complex is also open, and pretty full! The Irish bank no longer has snow fence around it, but they do still have it "roped off"...(I'm glad I got a chance to school it when it was still open earlier last fall )

So, Janet--planning to get Belle over that dratted Trakehner come he** or high water?

RideIrish:

"I'm keeping my fingers crossed and my thoughts positive that the water issue is behind us cause it sure stinks to enter and pay the money to get eliminated because your 1300lb horse from a place with lots of rain, bogs and water doesn't want to get his size 3 tootsies wet! Ah, but I still love him like my luggage!"

Yes, I can see the irony (and pain) relating to this issue!

(Though I would venture to say that your horse weighs a bit more than 1,300#...I weighed my last horse on the scale at Morven; he was all TB, and weighed close to 1,400#! ...he was long, tall, and substantial--but was nowhere near as ginormous as your boy is! That's a lot of horse to "keep in front of your leg"! )

So, Janet--planning to get Belle over that dratted Trakehner come he** or high water?
    YEP!
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Dr D-

Yes, you are right...I just didn't want to embarrass the big boy...he can be so sensitive sometimes :-)

Did I understand correctly that the BN water is full? If so, I may have to make a trip over to give it a whirl.

never mind...re-read your post Dr. D...BN water still empty :-(

I'll be there - Novice.

Now, I've got a month to get some jumping under our belts.

Hows the Prelim course ride there? It might be my young horse's first. Haven't decided whether to enter yet or not.

Is the park usually open for schooling? Maybe I can take her for a run around soon.
    "I try to take one day at a time - but sometimes several days attack me at once." -JU

I think I am going to take Smidgeon there for her *first* event! Exciting!

I think I need more information about the "dreaded" BN water, though. Is it a run through, or is it a run in and jump up and out thing? If there is a jump out, is it small enough to trot? I've ridden what I think is now described as the "old" water before, and it's been ages since I've been over there, so I don't think I know the "new" water. TIA for any information you can provide!
    Treat Jockey for Spellbound and Smidgeon