The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by cardicorgi View Post
    Sweet William, by John Hawkes. Narrated by "Old Horse", a TB, it is the story of his life...and more. Great book!

In Service to the Horse (non-fiction) - fun read

all Dick Francis books

Beautiful Jim Key (non-fiction, thanks CG!!!)..
    Have to give my thumbs up to Sweet William. No idea if it is still in print; but it would be well worth the search. A really good book.

I also liked In Service to the Horse...enjoyable behind the scenes look at the groom's life.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Airs Above the Ground by Mary Stewart!!!
    A bit old-fashioned, as it's set in the '50's/early 60's, but still, a great read if you like the suspense genre with a bit of romance thrown in.
    All about the Lipizzaners, with a few references to the great horsemen of that time.
    I've read it countless times, and still love it.

OK, so it isn't fiction, but I'm currently reading The Horse God Built: The Untold Story of Secretariat, the World's Greatest Racehorse by Lawrence Scanlon. It is a wonderful, WONDERFUL read and has moved me to tears during many parts of the book. The relationship between Eddie Sweat and Secretariat is one that I think we all dream of having with our own horses, and makes me wish that I could have known both of them. Eddie Sweat seemed like he was a truly devoted and caring man who was blessed to love a spectacular horse, the likes of which we will probably never see again.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

Default My Horses, My Teachers

By Alois Podhajsky (sp). One of my all time favorites. Wonderful insight into each of his horses; you can feel the love and respect he has for the horse and learn something along the way!!!

Does anyone remember a book about a Lippizaner at the SRS? I think it was Florain (not sure of the spelling). It was written by the same person who wrote Bambi. Darn my old mind is reaching for this title. But after seeing some other "old" titles I loved, I am sure there is someone out there who can remember this book..

Quote Originally Posted by fanfayre View Post
    Airs Above the Ground by Mary Stewart!!!
    i *just* excavated a copy of this i didn't know i had (while looking for something else, natch) and am rereading it. i'm sure i've read it but can't remember a thing about it... enjoying it though.

i second the jaffe books; i saw a rumour that sins of the sire had actually been published by some vanity house, and called said vanity house to ask, but they didn't know what i was talking about.

My favorites that haven't been mentioned yet.

Traveller by Richard Adams- Robert E. Lee's horse, told from the horse's perspective

And Miles to Go by Linell Smith- Witez II,an Arabian horse in Poland during WWII

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post
    Can't remember the title, but the one (by another author) with a Grand Prix Jumper Andalusian was more believeable.

No slur on Andys, but GP jumping isn't usually their forte.
    That's Trophies by Ainslie Sheridan. It's actually one of my favorites, though it does take some romantic liberties.

ETA: I see that Amazon actually has some used copies available for less than $10 at the moment, which is pretty unusual.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

2 of my all time favs - mentioned already but another plug if you haven't read them

A Portion for Foxes ( Jane McIlvaine McClary)- I think I re-read it every year and County Life Diary (Josh Pons) while not fiction - great read

Haven't seen the Walter Farley books mentioned (Black Stallion etc) they aren't just for kids IMO

2 to miss -- A Sunday Horse - Vicky Moon - reads like the society page and I'm not sure what the story was - I think all the people mentioned must have paid her and Michael Korda's book (latest one) same kind of thing --

I love the Jody Jaffe books. Have reread them many times. I also like The Hunt and The Chase. Riders and Polo are also 2 of my all time favs. Another Jilly Cooper-esque book which is fairly horsey is Showdown by Tilly Bagshawe.

I'm also in agreement with everyone that HATES Riding Lessons and Flying Changes.
    CRAYOLA POSSE - Olive Green
    Champions aren't born. They are built little by little, day by day, with patience and love for the art. -Nick Skelton

Quote Originally Posted by Goldiegirl View Post
    My favorites that haven't been mentioned yet.

And Miles to Go by Linell Smith- Witez II,an Arabian horse in Poland during WWII

I absolutely LOFFED that book!!! I never owned a copy but read it every year in grade school....sigh.....
    ** I LOVE PUIKA & SHELLA FAN CLUB*** member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
    Good job R&G!
    You may now add Horsesaver Extraordinaire to your resume

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebe View Post

Haven't seen the Walter Farley books mentioned (Black Stallion etc) they aren't just for kids IMO

black stallions' ghost---excellent, excellent book.

Default +1 on the lady and riders

Quote Originally Posted by BlueEyedSorrel View Post
    I second "The Lady" by Anne McCaffrey. It's about an Irish family raising showjumpers,
    2 of the best riders and the lady
    more hay, less grain

NOT books by Monty Roberts - doubtful truth, awful, bragging, me, me, me, etc.

Chosen by a Horse - a heart wrencher, but good book.

These are great! I am arming myself for some good beach reading!!

Hot Blood by Ken Englade. True story about the jumping / insurance fraud scandal.

Also a new one, Light of the Moon by Luanne Rice. Romantic but based in the Camargue with lots of handsome gypsies and awesome horses....

I'm going to have to make a list and start browsing second hand stores. Great for winter reading.