The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

How could I forget all the James Herriot books?

All Creatures Great and Small
    All Things Bright and Beautiful
    All Things Wise and Wonderful

About a country veterinarion who lived in England before (and after) World War II. Funny, heartwarming, sad, and highly educational.

His stories of foaling at 2 o'clock in the morning in December in England make me appreciate having indoor heating and hot water at the barn!

Quote Originally Posted by Puddin Pie View Post
    There is a book on the Calumet racing farm-can't remember the name, that was good.
    Wild Ride?
    One of my all time favorites!
    (not that it doesn't make you sick at some points)

Quote Originally Posted by CFiona View Post
    How could I forget all the James Herriot books?

All Creatures Great and Small
    All Things Bright and Beautiful
    All Things Wise and Wonderful

About a country veterinarion who lived in England before (and after) World War II. Funny, heartwarming, sad, and highly educational.

His stories of foaling at 2 o'clock in the morning in December in England make me appreciate having indoor heating and hot water at the barn!
    Yup,we're from the same part of the world,him Yorkshire-me Lancashire.

Keep posting guys,I go through about a book every 1-2 days,so I can take all the suggestions you can give me

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    Wild Ride?
    One of my all time favorites!
    (not that it doesn't make you sick at some points)
    I read that one..very interesting.

More of teen lit but I enjoyed it "The perfect Distance" By ????
    About a girl who is doing the Medal Maclay finals series....

I was at Borders today trying to get "The God of Animals" and it was sold out. The Borders guy raved about it. He also raved about several other books that I have read already and liked, so his raves had some credibility for me. Can't wait to read it.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

Beautiful Jim Key (what a great book) - Mim Rivas

Ruffian - Jane Schwartz

Horse People - Michael Korda

I plan to re-read Horse Heaven this summer -- I do so love that book!
    When life gives you lemons. . .say &%^# you lemons! And throw those lemons back in life's face so that it will be afraid of you and won't try that crap again!

Nothing beats Horse Heaven, but Tami Hoag has a new one called Alibi Man coming out April 7. The protagonist (ex-cop) is the same as in the Dressage themed book (don't remember the title).

Smiley also has a small book written long ago that is horse themed and not bad, called Barn Blind.
    Barbaro Cultist, Metabolic Nazi

I just read "The God of Animals", and I give it a mixed review. Nice enough story, good writing, decent horse stuff, but the story is very depressing. I finished it in 2 days, and was unsatisfied with the ending.

May I make a non-suggestion? DO NOT, under any circumstances, read the Fern Michaels Bluegrass series. What a waste of a tree- soooo bad!

This certainly isn't a "grown up book" but I really have never gotten tired of them!! Any and all of the Misty books! Even though they totally are fiction, when you get right down to it, they are great!
    Meredith Barlow, EqDT
    http://www.equidentistry.com
    Meredith offers seminars on equine dentistry free of charge. Call or email to set up yours today!

The Southern California freeway system, stuck in an endless commute

The Tami Hoag book mentioned is "Dark Horse." And while the ex-cop rides dressage, most of the action takes place in the hunter-jumper portion of WEF, so you could say it's cross-cultural.

Also look for "In & Out: Year One in the Jumping for Gold Series," by Barbara Moss. It's raunchy and it's loaded with typos and you can see some of the plot "twists" from a mile away, but much like "Dallas" and "Falcon Crest," it's a fun guilty pleasure.

Don't forget "The Lady" by Anne McCaffrey as well as her "Ring of Fear"; "Cut Throat" by Lyndon Stacey; and the veterinarian mystery series by Laura Crum ("Cutter," "Hay Burner," "Rough Shod" and more).

If you like un-Harlequin romances (not, to paraphrase Seinfeld, that there's anything wrong with them!), Laura Moore has done a couple tolerable ones: "Chance Meeting" and "Ride a Dark Horse." Nora Roberts also has some horse-themed books: "Irish Hearts," "Irish Thoroughbred," "Irish Rebel" -- although I cannot remember which order they're actually supposed to be read in -- and "True Betrayals."

Add me to list of those who say "don't bother" with Fern Michaels' absolutely awful "Bluegrass" series. And if you want believability with characters you could actually stand to be in the same room with, run very very far away from Iris Johansen's "On the Run" ... that one set horse fiction back about a hundred years. <insert BLEECH icon here!>
    Last edited by Beezer; Mar. 20, 2007 at 12:51 AM.
    Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

Default Tearjearkers.....

"The Virginia Gentleman" by Mary Barnes. It's a serious tearjerker but one for anyone who has ever loved a horse. Also, "Chosen By A Horse" by Susan Richards - same premise.
    Become a Posse and help keep kids on horses and off the streets.
    http://www.comptonjrposse.org/

All of the Jenny Pitman novels (as you're from Yorkshire I guess you know who she is )

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...s=jenny+pitman

I've really enjoyed all of them so far.

Seconding (or thirding) Tami Hoag's "Dark Horse" - especially if you've ever been to Wellington in the winter. ;-) I can't WAIT for her new one (follow up to "Dark Horse") to come out.

Polo by Jilly Cooper
    Rita Mae Brown's foxhunting novels
    Dick Francis' novels (horses and mystery- could it get any better?)- I just finished Wild Horses, and I thought it was great!
    flogarty
    "It is difficult not to be unjust to what one loves" Oscar Wilde

All the John Francome and Richard Pitman (Jenny Pitman's brother) books; "Brat Farrar" by Josephine Tey; "The Fall" by Kai Maristed.

Any novel by ex-jockey Dick Francis.
    Starts with an 'S,' ends with a 'T.' You figure it out.

"Houston, Tranquility Base here, picking up where we left off ..."

Secretariat was one of those books worth reading along with Ruffian and Seabiscuit.

I've read most of the books above.

I have yet to read those

1. Stalking Horse
    2. Fire Horse
    by Bill Shoemaker.
    Will get a dream horse!
    More riding, swimming, and rowing, less posting

Default Fantasy books

If you like the fantasy genre, here are some recommendations. These aren't just about horses but horses play a prominant role in the stories.
    Kristin Britain: Green Rider and Rider's First Call (These are the 1st 2 in a series. I think they are actually for young adults but I'm an old adult and enjoyed them.)
    Mercedes Lackey: Arrows of the Queen, Arrow's Flight and Arrow's Fall (This is a series of 3.)

Seabiscut is brilliant. One of the best books ever written(non-fiction) Made watching the movie highly disappointing.

I also have the book "Phar Lap', and it's very good. Interesting to know what really happened with this horse, outside of the drama of the film(Which I love, and have the original version which is much less dramatic than the US version)

I liked TAmi Hoag's Dark Horse, but the end just went into lunar orbit for me.

If you want a truly disturbing book, read House Rules. Excellent book, but not for the weak of mind/heart.

I have a book called "Perfect Distance', but its really bad. I got it cheap, used. I can dig it up to see who the author is. It's just badly written. I think there are two books out there with a similar title, but one is by far much better than the other--one is very difficult to attain.

If you are interested in finding horse novels/books, pop to Amazon's website. Punch in what you are looking for, and it will give you a list of books. Can't vouche for them, but it's fun!