The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Wink Hunter Snob doing an Event - HELP!!

Hi guys.

Ok, so I'm a bonafide Hunter Snob. Really. I like my rings and rails and bling and that's about that. As a h/j I have ridden for 23 years and been pro for 10 years. So then this guy comes from CA to work for me and he's into dressage and eventing. Get's me to go out "extreme trail riding" with him and some friends (this was NOT your grandmother's trail riding folks!) and has me practicing dressage tests while helping him work on his horse's flat work. ???Now let me note a couple things... all I currently have to ride of my own is a 13.1h pinto pony. I ride/train other horses for people, but all *I* own myself right now is this little guy. Also, I love my flatwork.

OK so my new buddy has an event coming up, his first in NJ, at Flora Lea in April. I'll be going with him, but the thing is, he wants me to show at the event. Ok, so I'm considering going - to do beginner novice - on my medium pony - who I am rediculously tall on (though my insanely short legs fit him great!). He tells me (and another friend who's into dressage and eventing also says) that I won't look stupid because "trainers show ponies for kids all the time" and that Flora Lea is supposedly "low key" (I'll put that subtley). I'd like to take my pony because he is for sale and I think it would be a great market for him to be in and one that I currently have no access to. He's been an awesome little hunter pony, but I think his heart would like the more "fun" stuff much better.

Now for my questions.... If I do this thing... What do I wear??? Dressage: I've been told you can get away with beige britches, but only with navy coat. And if you wear a black coat you must wear white britches. I get the whole white shirt thing, and I'm assuming black boots and gloves. My two main show helmets are a subtly blinged out blk/gry GR8 and an even more blinged out black velvet GPA. What about that? How bad is it to wear beige britches? Also, can I use a jumping saddle for dressage or should I beg to borrow my friend's dressage saddle, which, once I got used to the FREAKISHLY LONG stirrups, was very comfortable for me to ride in? XCountry: Apparently those vest things are required? What do you wear under it??? It might still be chilly in April. And loud colours are ok? Like my little pinto has 2 blue eyes, can I match my stuff to him? LOL (if I'm gonna do this, I might as well do it up!). Stadium: (i think that's what you guys call it) Wear the same thing I would for a nice jumper class at a h/j show? White britches or no? Any restrictions? Oh and about that stadium stuff... I hear it's optimum time. But someone was telling me the optimum time is also the time allowed, so it's kindof like a Price is Right class, be the closest to the time without going over? Weird. Our Optimum Time classes have a optimum time and a time allowed, which would be a few seconds longer than the optimum.

OK, so have at it eventer peoples. Here's a clueless hunter chick who needs your knowledge. Any details you can give me would be great. Oh! And someone said the beginner novice at Flora Lea has no water!! BUMMER! That's the one thing I was really looking forward to!!! So what will the XC course be like at Flora Lea?

Thanks for the help!
    ...for there are wings on these hooves, the speed and power of foam-capped waves...
    *~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*
    Proud member of the artists clique

Beige britches are totally fine, with a black coat or a navy coat or a conservative tweed or dark coat of any color (though these are not seen too often). Your helmet must be navy or black (though people use the ones with the charcoal stripe). Here are the rules:

DRESSAGE TEST.
    ▲ a. Tests and Horse Trials (Beginner Novice through Preliminary)—Hunt Cap—black or dark blue; Coat—dark color or tweed, tail coats are not permitted; Shirt—white or light color, with stock and pin, or choker, or tie; Gloves (if worn)—dark color, tan, beige or white; Jodhpurs, Britches—light color or white; Boots—black, brown, fi eld, jodhpur or a black or brown full grain smooth leather leg piece and matching leather boots. Chaps and/or half-chaps are not allowed. BOD 1/15/06 Effective 12/1/06
    CROSS-COUNTRY TEST. Light-weight clothing is appropriate for this Test, a shirt (any color) with sleeves must be worn. Protective Headgear in accordance with paragraph 1 above. This headgear may be any color. Britches or jodhpurs may be any color; Gloves (if worn) may be any color; Boots—black, brown, fi eld, jodhpur or a black or brown full grain smooth leather leg piece and matching leather boots. Chaps or half-chaps are
    not allowed. BOD 1/15/06 Effective 12/1/06
    ▲ 7. JUMPING TEST. Hunting dress or uniform. Protective headgear, with chin harness, designed expressly for equestrian use in accordance with paragraph 1 above. Hat covers other than solid black or dark blue are not allowed. Coat—dark color or tweed (if Novice through prelim.) Shirt—stock with pin, choker or tie; Gloves (if worn)—dark color, tan, beige or white; Jodhpurs, Britches—light color or white; Boots—black, brown, field, or a black or brown full grain smooth leather leg piece and matching leather boots. Chaps
    or half-chaps are not allowed. Member of armed and police forces, as in EV113.5.b.

And...fine to use a jumping saddle for all three phases (there is another thread about that). In addition to the protective vest for cross-country, you need to have a properly filled out medical armband for cross-country and for stadium jumping. You can get it here: http://www.useventing.com/resources/...dicalCards.pdf. There are holders you can buy or you can just put it visibly in a clear plastic holder and rubber band or tape to your arm. Rules for eventing can be viewed or downloaded here http://www.useventing.com/competitions.php?id=86

HAVE FUN!!!

p.s. I believe the water has been an option on the BN course sometimes, but not sure on that

Quote Originally Posted by GreystoneKC View Post
    H

XCountry: Apparently those vest things are required? What do you wear under it??? It might still be chilly in April. And loud colours are ok? Like my little pinto has 2 blue eyes, can I match my stuff to him? LOL (if I'm gonna do this, I might as well do it up!). Stadium: (i think that's what you guys call it) Wear the same thing I would for a nice jumper class at a h/j show? White britches or no? Any restrictions? Oh and about that stadium stuff... I hear it's optimum time. But someone was telling me the optimum time is also the time allowed, so it's kindof like a Price is Right class, be the closest to the time without going over? Weird. Our Optimum Time classes have a optimum time and a time allowed, which would be a few seconds longer than the optimum.
    Vest are required as is approved headgear (the GR8 works). Standing martingales are ILLEGAL (dangerous on XC). Optimum time is based on a consistent pace. I believe for you it will be around 250 meters per minute (fast trot slow canter). There is no "time allowed." The maximum time allowed before elimination is twice the optimum time.

Reed

Good for you. GO for it.

But FIRST, read the rules, instead of taking other people's word about attire. Unlike Hunter (wash jackets???) the rules REALLY DO reflect what people wear.
    http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleBook/2007/12-EV.pdf

Attire for dressage-
    [LEFT]a. Tests and Horse Trials (Beginner Novice through Preliminary)—Hunt Cap—black or dark blue; Coat—dark color or tweed, tail coats are not permitted; Shirt—white or light color, with stock and pin, or choker, or tie; Gloves (if worn)—dark color, tan, beige or white; Jodhpurs, Britches—light color or white; Boots—black, brown, field, jodhpur or a black or brown full grain smooth leather leg piece and matching leather boots. Chaps and/or half-chaps are not allowed. BOD 1/15/06 Effective 12/1/06
    [/LEFT]
    I have been wearing a black jacket with beige britches for dressage for over 20 years. Perfectly legal, and socially acceptable.

Hi guys.
    Now for my questions.... If I do this thing... What do I wear??? Dressage: I've been told you can get away with beige britches, but only with navy coat. And if you wear a black coat you must wear white britches. I get the whole white shirt thing, and I'm assuming black boots and gloves. My two main show helmets are a subtly blinged out blk/gry GR8 and an even more blinged out black velvet GPA. What about that? How bad is it to wear beige britches?
    I have been wearing a black jacket with beige britches for dressage for over 20 years. Perfectly legal, and socially acceptable.

Your "blinged out" black GPA is probably legal ("black or dark blue huint cap") but I woudl probly get a black helmet cover just in case the TD has a "thing" about bling

Also, can I use a jumping saddle for dressage or should I beg to borrow my friend's dressage saddle, which, once I got used to the FREAKISHLY LONG stirrups, was very comfortable for me to ride in?
    Whichever is mreo comfortable or give a better test. I have pictures of Olympians doing dressage in jumping saddles.
    XCountry: Apparently those vest things are required? What do you wear under it??? It might still be chilly in April. And loud colours are ok?
    Yes, the safety vest IS required. As for what goes under (and/or over) it, the only real requirement is that you MUST have sleeves. Most people wear a polo/rugby in warm weather. In colder weather you will see everything from a sweater or sweatshirt to a parka. Here is what the rules say
    6. CROSS-COUNTRY TEST. Light-weight clothing is appropriate for this Test, a shirt (any color) with sleeves must be worn. Protective Headgear in accordance with paragraph 1 above. This headgear may be any color. Britches or jodhpurs may be any color; Gloves (if worn) may be any color; Boots—black, brown, field, jodhpur or a black or brown full grain smooth leather leg piece and matching leather boots. Chaps or half-chaps are not allowed. BOD 1/15/06 Effective 12/1/06
    Like my little pinto has 2 blue eyes, can I match my stuff to him? LOL (if I'm gonna do this, I might as well do it up!). Stadium: (i think that's what you guys call it) Wear the same thing I would for a nice jumper class at a h/j show? White britches or no? Any restrictions?
    Here is what the rules say
    7. JUMPING TEST. Hunting dress or uniform. Protective headgear, with chin harness, designed expressly for equestrian use in accordance with paragraph 1 above. Hat covers other than solid black or dark blue are not allowed. Coat—dark color or tweed (if Novice through prelim.) Shirt—stock with pin, choker or tie; Gloves (if worn)—dark color, tan, beige or white; Jodhpurs, Britches—light color or white; Boots—black, brown, field, jodhpur or a black or brown full grain smooth leather leg piece and matching leather boots. Chaps or half-chaps are not allowed. Member of armed and police forces, as in EV113.5.b. BOD 1/15/06 Effective 12/1/06
    Oh and about that stadium stuff... I hear it's optimum time. But someone was telling me the optimum time is also the time allowed, so it's kindof like a Price is Right class, be the closest to the time without going over? Weird. Our Optimum Time classes have a optimum time and a time allowed, which would be a few seconds longer than the optimum.
    Well, sort of.

As long as you are faster than optimum time, you are "clear". There is no advantage to being "right on" optimum time, and there is no advantage to being "lots faster" than optimum time. Think of the eventing "optimum time" as being the same as the jumper "time allowed".

(However, "closest to optimum time" on CROSS COUNTRY is used to break ties, so there IS an advantage to being close to optimum time there. And cross country has "speed faults" for going too fast, as well as faults for going too slowly. The course map should tell you both the "speed fault time" and the "optimum time". In order to get no faults, you need to be between those times.

OK, so have at it eventer peoples. Here's a clueless hunter chick who needs your knowledge. Any details you can give me would be great. Oh! And someone said the beginner novice at Flora Lea has no water!! BUMMER! That's the one thing I was really looking forward to!!! So what will the XC course be like at Flora Lea?

Thanks for the help!
    Don't know anything about Flora Lea.

DO read the rule book and check the USEA web site. Also check the Area II web site
    http://www.usea2.net/
    especially the bit about registration requirements
    http://www.usea2.net/pdf_files/2006A...nRecording.pdf
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

If you are going to do a recognized event, I think you should read the rules, rather than rely on us to point everything out.
    Sorry but there are a ton of ways you can get eliminated just because you didn't know something, i.e. if your horse has boots on for dressage, you use a dressage whip beyond the permitted length, your spurs are too large or pointed up (although often the bit checkers will tell you this, they are not required too), if you use your whip more than 3 times for any single disobedience, if you jump without your medical armband on, etc.
    Oh- and until I am riding in Rolex, I am not wearing white breeches (I wear beige) and my jacket is black- as long as it is legal and you are are not in a lycra bodysuit, nobody gives a crap about what you wear- and yes a vest is required for x-country and an approved helmet is required. You can do all 3 phases in a jumping saddle.
    At BN there will be an optimum time, a speed fault time and a maximum time. You want to aim to finish between speed fault time and optimum and try to get as close to optimum as you can without going over it (and another way to get eliminated is to realize after your last fence that you are going to finish too fast and stop, walk or circle between the last jump and the finish flags).
    The rules are on the USEA website which is www.useventing.com
    Edited to say that what I said about the 3 times is for x-country only. No speed fault time in stadium.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)

Oh and about that stadium stuff... I hear it's optimum time. But someone was telling me the optimum time is also the time allowed, so it's kindof like a Price is Right class, be the closest to the time without going over? Weird. Our Optimum Time classes have a optimum time and a time allowed, which would be a few seconds longer than the optimum.
    Okay, I'm an HP, not an eventer, but I am surrounded by them at home so I'll take a little stab.

In stadium, there is a time allowed. You don't get anything for go under the time, but you will get faults for going over, which are added to your overall score. You also get points for rails, refusals, falls, etc. There is no advantage to going fast. Just go fast enough to be under the time but slow enough to be careful.

Oh, and have fun.

Edited because there was stadium confusion. Phew...at least there is not another rule to learn.
    Last edited by RugBug; Mar. 13, 2007 at 05:52 PM.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Flora Lea is a low key event. Beige is fine...that is what I wear cuz only really skinny twiggy girls look good in white IMO. Black or navy or grey coat would be fine. If I wear beige...I don't wear a white shirt but a cream/off white shirt.....but really NO ONE will care what you wear. Most people use stock ties but you can use a choke collar.

Borrow a vest from someone....but get your own medical arm band. (you can borrow the holder but fill out your own card). For stadium...most of us wear the same thing we wore for dressage (but you do need to wear a jacket again).

Braiding is optional....I typically don't braid below Prelim so unless he has an unrulely mane...you do not need to braid if you don't want to.

You should walk your x-c course and stadium course with your friend to show you the ropes. The stadium course should be ridden with more equitation type turns...not tight jump off jumper turns or huge hunter turns (flying changes don't matter....leaving the rails up and coming in under the opt. time do).

If it is cold, I usually wear a long sleve shirt and thin wind blocking type of jacket under my vest....but a bit will depend on how the vest fits you and what you can fit under the vest. If it hot...you still must wear a shirt with sleves...they can be short sleves but no tank tops.

Saddles...use what is comfortable. There will be many people in the same jump saddle for all three phases.

Don't forget the beer for when you are done (and/or before x-c).
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Mar. 13, 2007 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RAyers View Post
    Optimum time is based on a consistent pace. I believe for you it will be around 250 meters per minute (fast trot slow canter). There is no "time allowed." The maximum time allowed before elimination is twice the optimum time.

Reed
    A BIT faster than that.

At Beginner Novice Cross country optimum time wil be somewhere between 300 and 350 meters per minute (check the omnibus listing). Speed faults start at420 mpm. For Show Jumping, optimum time will be based on 300 mpm.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Default stadium

Hi,

At my first event (recycled hunter rider) everyone told me not to worry about the time with stadium ( my guy has a nice big stride and loves the fences in a ring). So I went in and did this nice hunter course that I thought flowed wonderfully, nice changes etc. Well, the thing with stadium time faults that I misunderstood is that of course it is based on a specific track. For example when I took these nice big round corners I was way off the "track" and so even though I had a nice course and nice canter I had time penalties because "I got to the fences via China!". Stupid mistake on my part that cost me a ribbon but boy did I have fun and started my eventing career off with a big smile even if it was without a ribbon. I won't tell you about our ghastly dressage

Watch out, you are going to be converted! Go ahead drink the kool aid!

Default 'Ware the warmup!!!

You'll notice that all the fences - in the warmup and on course - have little flags (or paper/plastic plates ;-) attached to the standards. The red flag is on the right side; the white flag is on the left side.

Red on right. - pound this into your brain.

Red on right.

Don't ever jump a fence unless the red flag is on your right side.

Even in the warmup.

Red on right.

You can get eliminated for jumping a fence backwards, even in warmup.

Red on right.

Red on right.

This is not your hunter warmup.

Red on right.
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

I am not sure what level you compete at in hunters, but if you are doing 3', BN is going to be a piece of cake. Not in a bad way, I mean that in a good way, like the fences will be low enough and dressage easy enough that you aren't overwhelmed by doing your regular effort PLUS a ton of new rules.

As far as turnout goes, you are going to be THRILLED at how easy it is compared to what you are used to! Eventing only has "legal" and "not legal", we don't have anything about "overall impression", so with a few exceptions whatever you are used to doing is probably within the rules.

I agree with reading the rule book yourself to figure out what exactly those few exceptions are, and I would also run through it with your friend and say, "OK, for dressage I want my tack to be this, this and this and my outfit to be this and this" and do that for all the phases.

And since we were all so nice in helping, make sure to take pictures and post them with an update once you're done

Quote Originally Posted by Risk-Averse Rider View Post

Red on right.

Even in the warmup.

Red on right.

Red on right.

Red on right.

Red on right.

Heheee.... so true. I just went to a H/J schooling show at an event facility (Twin Rivers). My poor brain was in a tizzy because all of the standards have the little red/white markers on 'em and I JUST.CANNOT.keep them straight. 'Course, they technically didn't mean anything (and I don't even think they were set "red on right") but whenever I see them I freak a bit.

I also freak out about saluting in dressage. It feels VERY foreign to me...so If I have to do a dressage test, I practice...by the numbers:
    • 1. Hand off reins and down to side
      2. Head down
      3. Head up
      4. Hand back to reins
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Welcome! I agree...read the rule book! There are a thousand ways to get eliminated. A couple tips though....

1) Don't enter the dressage ring until the judge has sounded a bell, whistle, horn--whatever she has. Ask the dressage steward what the signal is for your ring. Also, there are going to be several rings. Make sure you know which one is yours! After the horse before you has exited the ring, the judge will be writing comments on their dressage test. I've never been to Flora Lea, but generally during that time you get to walk and trot around the outside perimeter of the ring to get your horse used to the judge's box, decorations, etc. When the judge rings the bell, you have a minute to get in the ring, so don't panic if you're on the other side of the ring.

2) Say "thank you" to as many volunteers as you can. Say it to the dressage judge after your test, and to any stewards who aren't busy. It's very much appreciated!! If you see someone have an awesome test or jumping round, don't be hesitant to congratulate them--that's how you make friends here!

3) Check where the flags are for all fences. Sometimes for water there's only a flag on the exit side. This means if your horse stops at the entrance to the water to peek, it won't count against you. Also make sure you know where the start and finish flags are for both stadium and cross country and make sure you get through them before pulling all the way up.

4) For XC, make sure you know what color your fence numbers are! That way even if you get a little lost you know what to look for. And whoever said "RED ON RIGHT" is to be your mantra is right on. If you're headed to a fence and red is not on your right, stop! The start and finish flags will also follow this rule, so don't ever stop thinking it!

5) If you have a mini-disaster in dressage (i.e., horse spooks at pile of horse poop. Horse leaps sideways and steps out of the ring. Rider hears whistle) and are eliminated, you can ask the T.D. (Technical Delegate) if you can continue your jumping. Your rounds won't count then, but if you're eliminated for a stupid mistake (pilot error in jumping, steps out of ring in dressage, etc.) you can generally continue.

6) Having said that, if you do hear a whistle COMING FROM YOUR JUDGE (not the one in the ring next to you--it can get confusing sometimes!) in dressage halt where you are. It may be as simple as the judge has the wrong test, or you may be off course.

Smile

Just have fun. Don`t sweat the small stuff like dressage, etc.
    When you come flying through the x-c finish flags in one piece, you`ll know what all the fuss is about. It`s pure euphoria, and the more scared you are BEFORE the more joy you will feel AFTER!
    All the rest is trivia.
    (In my opinion)

Quote Originally Posted by Risk-Averse Rider View Post
    You'll notice that all the fences - in the warmup and on course - have little flags (or paper/plastic plates ;-) attached to the standards. The red flag is on the right side; the white flag is on the left side.

Red on right.

Even in the warmup.

Red on right.

Red on right.

Red on right.

Red on right.
    OMG, that was hysterical! Thanks for the laugh. So true, so true.

Denny, You ROCK.
    When you comin' home? It is getting MUDDY and the air is getting that certain Spring Scent only born-and-bred-New Englanders know and love!
    Greystone.....I LOVE your attitude. Have a blast. That is all that matters.

Smile

Wow! All I can think to say is, "More! More! More!" I have no problems reading the rule book, I know the H/J rules almost by heart because I'm training to be a judge, so I like reading it! But you guys are priceless, I can tell!

As a h/j rider, I've had an extensive junior career in hunters, jumpers, and eq, hunters and eq to 3'6" and jumpers to 4ft+, plus everything since then. I'm very comfortable up to 4'-4'3" when a jump's made out of rails! So yeah, the actual height is nothing. Well, except for the whole "I'm riding a 13.1h pony" and "the jumps don't come down" thing. For him, 2'6" is his tops with me riding. Without me, he jumps out of his field, so scope is not a problem! lol

OK, so here's what I'm thinking to wear... Dressage: light beige TS breeches, white shirt (I have a regular choker to go with that shirt and a white true-tie stock tie from my hunter shadbelly, which should I wear?), either my dark navy Marigold or old black Pytchley both of which fit great, black belt, black gloves, black field boots, and probably the GR8 (oh! Hold on, it has a light grey stripe!!! Is that no good since they say black or blue??). Should I just go with my old black CO hampton? XC: aforementioned TSs, long or short sleeve polo depending on weather, black belt, vest, and boots and stuff. Jumping: my TSs, probably my dark purpley-charchol jacket since it's cool and seems allowed with a lavender shirt, and rest of my usual attire. The sparkly GPA shouldn't be an issue here right? Yes, I am used to being very "trend" concious in the hunters... I'm a self-proclaimed fashion horse so I'm glad to hear it's not too tough to please these guys.

RED on RIGHT! We do the same thing in the jumpers, so I know this but I like the little saying and am going to use that to help teach my students! My friend is walking the course with me, so I'll have some guidance.

New questions:
    1. Will there be different jump numbers on each jump? As if the same jump is used for different heights?
    2. Whoa! You get eliminated if your horse spooks??? I probably don't have to worry about something like that, but wow!
    3. So first whistle (or whatever) means GO, hearing another whistle means, odds are it's from another ring, if it's MY judge, HALT! ??
    4. I braid myself. Is it worth it to do it? It just seems like it would look so much nicer for dressage.

I have a feeling there will be plenty of pictures! As word is spreading that I am going to do this, I think a fan club is forming! All of my students want to come see, and a bunch of friends. I wouldn't be shocked if my MOM and DAD actually came! LOL Everyone wants to see me do dressage because, well, if you knew me, you'd know how likely it is that, somewhere, hell just froze.

Oh, and I don't bring beer, but I might need a shock of tequila when all is said and done! So will my pony!
    ...for there are wings on these hooves, the speed and power of foam-capped waves...
    *~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*~v~*
    Proud member of the artists clique

New questions:
    1. Will there be different jump numbers on each jump? As if the same jump is used for different heights?
    For x-c, go by color. So if BN and Novice share a x-c jump there will be two numbers (could be two 10s for example) but they will be different colors.

2. Whoa! You get eliminated if your horse spooks??? I probably don't have to worry about something like that, but wow!
    only if they leave the dressage ring...if they spook but you keep all four feet with in the ring your score for that movement will suck but you will not be E....and you may still get a decent dressage score since the spook only effects the score for that movement and perhaps the collective marks.

3. So first whistle (or whatever) means GO, hearing another whistle means, odds are it's from another ring, if it's MY judge, HALT! ??
    I wouldn't worry about this. But basically, your dressage judge will have some sound making...car horn, whistle, bell. When they ring the bell, you may enter the ring. You have a little bit of time so you do not need to rush immediately into the ring. If once you have started the test, you hear your judge make the same sound again, it means you have made an error of test. Stop and look at the judge (if you don't know what you did wrong) and they will tell you (usually it is if you make a big mistake....like forget to make a circle or go the wrong way).

4. I braid myself. Is it worth it to do it? It just seems like it would look so much nicer for dressage.
    If you like to braid...go for it. I braid myself but my horses seem to hate it and I usually don't care. But it does look nice. Especially since he is a sale pony, if you have time I would braid since it will make the pictures look nice.

Oh, and I don't bring beer, but I might need a shock of tequila when all is said and done! So will my pony!
    Tequila is good too!

Always be polite to the ring stewards/ jump judges etc. they are all volunteers NOT paid staff. If your ride time is 8:03 be ready to go into the ring at 8:03, if they are yelling at you it is to save you from being eliminated. We eventers take this time of go stuff seriously.