The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Default Anti horse slaughter bill: IL HB 1711 Action Alert

Dear Friends,

Below is a press release announcing the introduction of legislation to ban horse slaughter in the state of Illinois. Please take action by calling, faxing, and emailing Illinois General Assembly Members asking them to vote "YES" on HB 1711 and also to sign on as a cosponsor.

A full list of contact numbers for Illinois State Representatives can be found here
    http://www.ilga.gov/house/ and the full list of Illinois State Senators are listed here http://www.ilga.gov/senate/

If you are an Illinois resident and are unsure who your state representative and senator are, please click here...
    http://www.elections.il.gov/District...aspx?NavLink=1

Thank you for taking action for the horses!!!

Gail Vacca
    Illinois Coordinator
    National Horse Protection Coalition
    Wilmington, Illinois
    Tel: 815-761-4937
    Fax: 815-476-5257
    www.horse-protection.org

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    http://www.saplonline.org/ilreintro.htm

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Anti-Horse Slaughter Legislation Introduced in Illinois
    U.S. one step closer to banning horse slaughter

Springfield, IL (February 22, 2007) - A bill introduced today in the Illinois State Legislature could soon signal the end to the practice of horse slaughter in the United States.

Illinois is the only state where significant horse slaughter continues. A recent federal court decision has made it hard for two Texas plants to operate, and likely will lead to their permanent closure. The three facilities are the only ones in the country that slaughter horses and export the meat for human consumption in Europe and Asia.

Illinois HB 1711 is sponsored by State Rep. Bob Molaro (D-Chicago). It would prohibit the transportation of horses into the State for the sole purpose of slaughter for human consumption.

A Belgian company, Cavel International, runs a horse slaughter plant near DeKalb, IL. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, just over 100,000 American horses were slaughtered last year at the three facilities in DeKalb, Fort Worth and Kaufman, TX.

“When I read about the Jan. 20th 5th Circuit Court decision upholding a longstanding Texas law which bans the slaughter of horses for human consumption, I was thrilled to learn that two of the remaining three companies engaged in this grisly business had finally been shut down.” said Molaro.

Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich (D) and the Illinois Department of Agriculture supported a similar bill when it was last introduced, and it is anticipated that they will support it again. Illinois Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D) is leading the federal effort with a bill cosponsored by Rep. John Spratt (D-SC) and Ed Whitfield (R-KY). Similar legislation is pending in the U.S. Senate.

“Illinois has long been a leader in animal protection and anti-cruelty laws, and as such, it is high time we put an end to equine cruelty and join Texas and all other US states in protecting horses from needless slaughter.” said Molaro.

In May of 2004 a similar bill easily passed the Illinois Senate, but was narrowly defeated in the House because of an unrelated issue. This year, we are confident the legislation will clear both houses and be signed into law by Governor Blagojevich,” said Chris Heyde, deputy legislative director of the Society for Animal Protective Legislation. "Horse owners, veterinarians, residents of Illinois and the American people want an end to slaughter, and Illinois legislators are standing up to end this cruel industry. We commend State Rep. Molaro and Congresswoman Schakowsky for their leadership."
    The Society for Animal Protective Legislation, the Animal Welfare Institute's legislative arm, is the unsurpassed leader in obtaining laws to benefit animals in need, including the protection of domestic and wild horses. More information is available at www.saplonline.org/horses.htm.

-30-

For More Information Contact:

Chris Heyde, deputy legislative director SAPL - 703-836-4300

Christopher J. Heyde
    Deputy Legislative Director
    Society for Animal Protective Legislation
    (A Division of the Animal Welfare Institute)
    PO Box 3719 ~ Washington, DC 20027
    T: (703) 836-4300 ~ F: (703) 997-1134
    www.saplonline.org
    www.compassionindex.org

Sign up for SAPL eAlerts to receive the latest legislative news on what you can do to help us protect all animals. http://www.saplonline.org/action.htm
    www.horse-protection.org

No Horses to Slaughter Clique

Hey, how are you doing?

I missed you on our last anti train wreck!

Bumping this up for the morning crowd..
    www.horse-protection.org

Bumping this last one up, so we don't have to repeat the same arguments again and again and again and again...

Link doesn't work, go here, pg 4, Feb 20, 3 PM:

"Slaughter update question--and a link"

It should pass provided the bill does not have anything tacked on to derail it. Worth repeating from the original post ...

Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich and the Illinois Department of Agriculture supported a similar bill when it was last introduced, and it is anticipated that they will support it again. Illinois Rep. Jan Schakowsky is leading the federal effort with a bill co-sponsored by Reps. John Spratt and Ed Whitfield. Similar legislation is pending in the U.S. Senate.
    Considering Chicago was able to pass - albeit possibly up for a reversal - a ban on the sale of fois gras last year because its inhumane you'd think this would be a no brainer.

District 89 land of the idiot Representative

I know all too well who my Representative is , he definately knew my name a few years ago. Though you'd think it's a no-brainer this was quite a fight here in IL a few years ago when we fought for this. I think staying federal really is the only way.
    NO HORSES TO SLAUGHTER CLIQUE
    http://www.cafepress.com/maneshirts

It seems to me like the problem with doing it this way...by shutting down the remaining US slaughterhouses without banning the export of horses at the same time..... is what County and a lot of other people have been saying...the horses will just ship to Mexico or Canada and we've not done anything to really improve their treatment.

I am a little confused why this path is being taken instead of waiting for the bill in the House and Senate to be voted on?

Because so many people put their own agenda of banning horse slaughter ahead of horse welfare.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

DB,

Number one priority is the federal bill. That said, in the meantime, if we can quickly pass the IL bill, it will close Cavel down which given the slaugher stats for the last few weeks, would save an additional 1,300 horses each week from being slaughtered.

The plants in existance in MX and Canada are already slaughtering at full capacity...unless additional plants were to be opened the number of horses that are currently being sent out of the country will not increase. The number to MX has not changed significantly since the two TX plants closed down.

Also, until the federal bill is passed, what is to deter or stop Cavel or the two TX companies from opening up additional plants in horse killer friendly IL???

We need to pursue an end to horse slaughter at any and all levels.
    www.horse-protection.org

Ok, that explanation makes me feel somewhat better. I did not realize the other plants were already at capacity. I sure hope the federal bill passes fast.

---"We need to pursue an end to horse slaughter at any and all levels."---

Too bad that you can't see reason. If you don't like slaughter and others do and it is not any concern of yours, why not let others do as they wish?
    No one is demanding you send your horses to slaughter, why keep others from doing so, especially in the manner those bills do, without any provision to dispose reasonably of those horses that go now to slaughter?
    I sure don't want my part of the taxes I pay to go to help waste all that natural resources we now are selling to those that want it.
    That doesn't make sense to me.

Lets keep slaughter legal and work on making it the best you can, as you think it should be, if there is some you don't like about it.

Don't give me the old "we tried and can't change it". If you can stop it, you can change it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    Ok, that explanation makes me feel somewhat better. I did not realize the other plants were already at capacity. I sure hope the federal bill passes fast.
    Like it would take Mexico long to slap another scary facility together to accommodate overflow....

Why do you all keep patting yourselves on the back for this?

'this would safe the lives of 1300 horses a week' that would go where?

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    It seems to me like the problem with doing it this way...by shutting down the remaining US slaughterhouses without banning the export of horses at the same time..... is what County and a lot of other people have been saying...the horses will just ship to Mexico or Canada and we've not done anything to really improve their treatment.

I am a little confused why this path is being taken instead of waiting for the bill in the House and Senate to be voted on?
    It would stop some (if not a lot) of the horses from going to slaughter because the more miles you have to truck them (and the gas is going up again) the less profit there is. There comes to be a point of diminishing returns where it is just easier to go haul loads of cows or pigs locally instead. (local being a relative term of course!)

But a federal ban is STILL needed as there are many other states with no bans that a slaughterhouse could easily be set up and it is imperative to close the borders to legal horse slaughter shipping or yes there will be slaughter plants springing up right over the border on both sides I'm sure.

However the more states make it illegal the more it will show the federal reps. the voice of the people.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    ---"We need to pursue an end to horse slaughter at any and all levels."---

Too bad that you can't see reason. If you don't like slaughter and others do and it is not any concern of yours, why not let others do as they wish?
    No one is demanding you send your horses to slaughter, why keep others from doing so, especially in the manner those bills do, without any provision to dispose reasonably of those horses that go now to slaughter?
    I sure don't want my part of the taxes I pay to go to help waste all that natural resources we now are selling to those that want it.
    That doesn't make sense to me.

Lets keep slaughter legal and work on making it the best you can, as you think it should be, if there is some you don't like about it.

Don't give me the old "we tried and can't change it". If you can stop it, you can change it.

Actually you can't really. People have been trying for 50 YEARS to get slaughter plants, auctions, dealer and feed lots and transporters to clean up their acts and have failed miserably. You can pass the laws but if you can't get the laws enforced "because they're gonna die anyway" they don't mean squat. It is easier to get laws enforced on animals we DO eat because the consumer has POWER to just say No. We don't consume horses, we don't use them or enough of their by products for a consumer boycott to make a ripple. the only ones who have the power to do that at the moment (here) are the zoos who still buy horse parts and their numbers in the grand scheme of things are minuscule.

Since they will NOT clean up their acts (and isn't 50 years enough of a chance) and have no economic incentive to do so (in fact it would hurt them economically to treat the animals humanely) then a ban really is the only way to stop the cruelty inherent in the entire process.

You can still take your horses to auction and sell them to the highest bidder.

Where have the 1,500 horses per week gone that have not been slaughtered in Texas since the two plants closed there a few weeks ago?

Already some 5,000+ horses have NOT been slaughtered in the US and NOT been exported for slaughter to Canada or Mexico since the 2 TX plants closed.
    www.horse-protection.org

Quote Originally Posted by onthebit12000 View Post
    Where have the 1,500 horses per week gone that have not been slaughtered in Texas since the two plants closed there a few weeks ago?

Already some 5,000+ horses have NOT been slaughtered in the US and NOT been exported for slaughter to Canada or Mexico since the 2 TX plants closed.
    Funny, haven't seen or heard of them running free in the streets either! Where do they go? They either go back home or they get sold to someone else or they get given away or they get put down.

Quote Originally Posted by onthebit12000 View Post

I know wherer some of those are, filling pastures, waiting for shipping to Mexico or wherever, as the plants will ask for them.

There are kill buyers renting small grain pastures for those horses right now, for what I can tell, when they don't have room in their pens. No other place for those horses that no one wants.

Those unwanted horses have not all of a sudden disappeared, poof!

The term "unwanted horse" was created by the horse slaughter industry and their proponents (who all in some way profit from horse slaughter) for the express purpose of creating a false sense of "necessity" for horse slaughter.

There is no such thing as an unwanted horse...the horses that are slaughtered are simply horses that were offered for sale and had the misfortune of being purchased by agents for horse slaughter plants.

The horse slaughter trade is not some sort of equine welfare organization...they are meat packers who are simply supplying a demand for horsemeat. The notion that horse slaughter does anything but benefit those who profit from it, is as ridiculous as it is false.

Horse Slaughter: An Unnecessary Evil
    http://www.trfinc.org/news/TRF_WhitePaper.pdf

A Study of the Relationship between Cases of Reported Neglect and Abuse
    http://www.horse-protection.org/info.php?id=81
    www.horse-protection.org

Actually you can't really. People have been trying for 50 YEARS to get slaughter plants, auctions, dealer and feed lots and transporters to clean up their acts and have failed miserably.
    If this is true - and I don't entirely doubt it - then why aren't we fighting to ban all slaughter? Why is this the only kind that garners compassion?

the horses that are slaughtered are simply horses that were offered for sale and had the misfortune of being purchased by agents for horse slaughter plants.
    Did you see the other thread here about a recent auction, where apparently-healthy horses were going for less than a hundred bucks? When the slaughter buyer is the highest bidder in spite of the prices being this pathetically low, I wonder again how we determine these horses are wanted.

Maybe they're wanted by potential horse owners in a cosmic, idealistic way, but those potential horse owners sure aren't stepping up.

---"The term "unwanted horse" was created by the horse slaughter industry and their proponents (who all in some way profit from horse slaughter) for the express purpose of creating a false sense of "necessity" for horse slaughter."---

Whatevere you want to call those horses, no one "invented" any name for them, to "make slaughter a necessity".
    That doesn't make sense.
    If you think about it, slaughter was here for centuries, long before anyone started ringing their hands about it and declaring it "unnecessary".

You don't like slaughter, fine, but better find more sensible reasons to try to ban it.