The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Default Slaughterhouse Resumes Killing Horses

Slaughterhouse Resumes Killing Horses After Court Upholds Ban on Sale of Horsemeat for Human Consumption

Belgian-Owned Dallas Crown Ignored HSUS Offer to Take Custody of Horses Stuck in Pipeline and Place them at Horse Sanctuaries

WASHINGTON (Feb. 5, 2007) – Despite an offer by The Humane Society of the United States to take custody of approximately 100 horses caught for up to two weeks in the slaughter pipeline after a federal court ruling upheld a Texas state law banning the sale of horsemeat for human consumption, Kaufman-based Dallas Crown, Inc. resumed slaughtering the animals this afternoon. A trailer from Cosco Container Lines Americas, Inc. was seen parked outside the plant, but it is unclear whether the horsemeat will be shipped overseas for human consumption, which is illegal in Texas .

The HSUS wrote to Cosco late Friday and informed the company that shipping horsemeat for human consumption is illegal in the state Texas . The HSUS also received a letter of confirmation today from Delta Air Lines that it has ceased the shipment of horse meat; American Airlines and Continental Airlines also have said they stopped their involvement in the horse slaughter industry.

Eyewitnesses at Dallas Crown said the horses were packed in the holding pen to overcapacity and had concerns they may have had little to no access to hay and water. In a letter sent on Jan. 31 to Michiel de Beukelaar’s, president of Belgian-owned Dallas Crown, Inc., HSUS President and CEO Wayne Pacelle wrote, “[W]e are prepared to take custody of, provide care and transport and assume all legal responsibility immediately for the horses owned or in the custody of Dallas Crown.” The slaughter plant did not respond.

“Dallas Crown’s decision to allow these animals to languish for days while the company maneuvered to slaughter them is consistent with their absolute disregard for animal welfare. Unfortunately, this is what happens to so many horses -- tens of thousands a year routinely endure long-distance transport and holding prior to slaughter,” Pacelle said. “We’re hopeful that with Texas law on our side and a strong movement in Congress to ban horse slaughter nationwide and stop the export of American horses for slaughter, this grisly industry is in its last throes.”

Legislation to ban the slaughter of American horses nationwide was introduced in both the U.S. House and Senate earlier this month by Sens. Mary Landrieu (D-La.) and John Ensign (R-Nev.), and Reps. Janice Schakowsky (D-Ill.) Ed Whitfield (R-Ky.), John Spratt (D-S.C.), and Nick Rahall (D-W.Va.) introduced a companion bill, H.R. 503.

The measure received tremendous bipartisan support in the 109th Congress, winning a vote of 263 to 146 in the House. It stalled in the Senate in late 2006, however, and was not brought up for a vote before Congress adjourned, even though a similar effort had been overwhelmingly approved by the Senate in 2005.

Media Contact: Polly Shannon , pshannon@hsus.org , 703 283 5104
    www.horse-protection.org

No Horses to Slaughter Clique

They are using the excuse they are killing them for the "zoo trade" except since when do zoos get choice cuts from ANY horses? What happens to that meat? Gee I wonder...
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Default umm...

I'm not sure what you ment by this post

"They are using the excuse they are killing them for the "zoo trade" except since when do zoos get choice cuts from ANY horses? What happens to that meat? Gee I wonder..."

But if I recall correctly, and I may need to check my facts, but I'm sure someone else on the board probably does know... a number of zoos and big cat sancuarys feed big cats horse meat, as it is the closest type of meat to their natural fodder.

Although I am not a horse eater, so I wouldn't know what "choice cuts" were. incase you were meaning that some cuts are reserved from zoo slaughter

I think what Summer was impling is that the zoos probably get 'scraps' and other parts, the "good stuff" goes to Europe for human consumption. Just like cows, I'm guessing that there are parts that animals will eat that we wouldn't consider.

My question is, since TX is now a bad place to do this business, couldn't the 2 houses just move to another state? Won't they?

They can also just ship the meat to another state to fly it out, as well.

There are ways around this for them.

How many states used to have slaughterhouses and why did they stop?
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

From animal welfare activist John Holland:

Folks,

I can give you a bit of good news but we don't know for sure what it
    is all about.

For those of you who are behind on the story, the Texas 5th Circuit
    Court of Appeals ruled the 1949 law banning horse slaughter was
    still in effect. However the plants could have continued to
    slaughter under the injunction until they had exhausted their final
    appeals. However, the airlines were not named in the injunction and
    when they were informed that they could be in violation of the law
    (by HSUS) they decided not to ship until and if the appeal process
    was decided in the favor of the slaughter plants (unlikely). This
    stopped the slaughter almost two weeks ago.

Horses have been standing in the Dallas Crown pens ever since. The
    HSUS press release I just forwarded tells of how they were trying to
    find a way to save these horses. But on Sunday Dallas Crown brought
    in more horses until they had enough for a full kill day at the
    level they were at when they were slaughtering for human
    consumption. This told us they almost definitely intended to
    slaughter full throttle on Monday.

The airline containers have been gone for two weeks, but COSCO
    (Chinese Overseas Shipping Co) had equipment on site. Dallas Crown
    has always shipped a fraction of their meat by COSCO and we do not
    know what the destination has been but COSCO could easily ship to
    anywhere in the World. The most probable scenario is that they were
    going to ship to France or Belgium where the Dallas Crown parent
    operates and where they airlines formerly took the meat. COSCO,
    being a maritime shipper, would not be taking the meat to Nebraska
    where the zoo meat distribution is.

Dallas Crown normally kills starting at 7:30AM. But things went
    strangely. They did not start slaughtering until noon and they
    stopped sometime between 1 and 2:30 PM. They appear to have
    slaughtered no more than half the horses. Why?

There are at least a half dozen possibilities that come to mind but
    the fact is that we don't honestly know. We were throwing rocks
    from all sides and one may have hit or they may have had a plant
    failure of some sort. Did it stop them permanently? Temporarily?
    We don't know. The big question is will they slaughter tomorrow?

I know we all want to see those horses saved, but if they do not
    stop slaughtering it will just mean that other horses die in their
    place. All we can do now is sit tight. I know everyone is chomping
    at the bit to place these guys but let's not allow ourselves to be
    too disappointed if we can't.

Thanks,
    John Holland

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

I beleive they have been given 4 more months to operate before they have to halt production. But the new Beltex plant in Mex. will be up and operating by April and horses will be slaughtered there. Under Mexican laws and rules, my guess is as much as people hate the USDA on here there probably going to wish they had authority over the Mex. plants.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    We were throwing rocks
    from all sides and one may have hit or they may have had a plant
    failure of some sort.
    They were throwing rocks? At the side of the plant? I'm sure the sound of THAT really made the horses more comfortable and less frightened.

Sorry, I was following until I got to that part. What good does throwing rocks do anyone?

As for the "cuts" of meat that go to zoos, there was a Dirty Jobs episode on Discovery that involved feeding big cats at a zoo, and they were feeding horsemeat. It wasn't scraps, either, but great big whole hunks that likely would have made several steaks. My guess is that if they said they were slaughtering for zoos, that's probably what they were doing, and probably why they only dealt with a small number of horses.

(but my gosh, what a slanted and inflammatory press release from HSUS. Just their phrasing is so PETA-esque. Wow.)
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Quote Originally Posted by summerhorse View Post
    They are using the excuse they are killing them for the "zoo trade" except since when do zoos get choice cuts from ANY horses? What happens to that meat? Gee I wonder...
    You know there probably aren't that many big cats in zoo's that need feeding

The meat that goes to zoos is not scraps but some of the better pieces. And not cut into anything...usually in large chunks with tendons still attached or in whole or partial legs. Big cats require the fat, bones, marrow and other parts for a balanced diet. Steaks don't nourish them.
    Also the meat reserved for actual zoos (and not small backyard big cat owners) is from the better horses that go through since many times these cats are close to being endangered or are some of the very few in captivity. Major zoos take excellent nutritional care of their big cats.
    However...in TX any moronic yahoo can have a big cat as a pet. They most likely also have some way of purchasing amounts of horse meat for feeding them. Not to blow a thread off track...but I have bigger issues with Randy Redneck having big cats in dog runs in his backyard than I do with many other issues. I do wish TX and the few other states that don't require an exotic animal license *and* exotic animal insurance would change their laws regarding keeping certain wild animals as pets.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    They were throwing rocks? At the side of the plant? I'm sure the sound of THAT really made the horses more comfortable and less frightened.

Sorry, I was following until I got to that part. What good does throwing rocks do anyone?
    I am sure that was NOT meant literally.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Thumbs up Yeah

Quote Originally Posted by county View Post
    I beleive they have been given 4 more months to operate before they have to halt production. But the new Beltex plant in Mex. will be up and operating by April and horses will be slaughtered there. Under Mexican laws and rules, my guess is as much as people hate the USDA on here there probably going to wish they had authority over the Mex. plants.
    and I am so sure the Mexican plant will be so much more luxurious than the texas one! And the distance to travel, I dont know what makes me even type a response to these threads. I dont care anymore, Yup you got it, if they want to slaughter horses I dont care! I dont see it as a bad thing, and if I ever did the Anti's killed it for me in so many ways. I dont believe anything they say. nor do I care. So there! Slaughter away! Let the businesses alone! And I dont even care a rip if you flame me or not! Oh wait I am probably on ignore, so really it doesn't matter!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

Beltex already has a plant in central MX. Has been operating there for years.
    Thousands of US horses are being cruelly transported and killed there each and every day of the year.

HR 503 will end the export of horses for slaughter to both MX and Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by county View Post
    www.horse-protection.org

No Horses to Slaughter Clique

Angry Probably not

Quote Originally Posted by onthebit12000 View Post
    Thousands of US horses are being cruelly transported and killed there each and every day of the year.

HR503 will probably never resurface and even if it does, it will never stop exportation . give it up!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by onthebit12000 View Post

How, exactly? Simply declaring something is illegal doesn't stop it from occuring. Nor does listing the punishment if your caught.

I've been wondering if some privacy act would protect the transports. Throw in the fact that many don't want big brother looking over their shoulder as far as what goes on with their horses, and what does one do then?
    RIP Bo, the real Appassionato
    5/5/84-7/12/08

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    and I am so sure the Mexican plant will be so much more luxurious than the texas one! And the distance to travel, I dont know what makes me even type a response to these threads. I dont care anymore, Yup you got it, if they want to slaughter horses I dont care! I dont see it as a bad thing, and if I ever did the Anti's killed it for me in so many ways. I dont believe anything they say. nor do I care. So there! Slaughter away! Let the businesses alone! And I dont even care a rip if you flame me or not! Oh wait I am probably on ignore, so really it doesn't matter!
    I don't have you on ignore, because I consider you one of the few people I like on here, but how was I so ignorant of your radical views on slaughter until now ? Can you point me to a thread maybe where us anti slaughter people have jaded you so?

Default I don't understand...

Eyewitnesses at Dallas Crown said the horses were packed in the holding pen to overcapacity and had concerns they may have had little to no access to hay and water.
    I usually just read and mind my own business.. but what the heck?

So, if there are concerns that these horses have little to no hay or water... why isn't something being done about THAT?? Who are these eye-witnesses and if something like that is reported in the news... why is something not being done to get these horses food & water. What the hell?

Default Buy online!

If you want to know what Dallas Crown has for meat products just look at their site!

http://www.dallascrown.com/pages/3/index.htm

It’s been there for ever!
    No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Pasture_Ornament View Post
    I usually just read and mind my own business.. but what the heck?

So, if there are concerns that these horses have little to no hay or water... why isn't something being done about THAT?? Who are these eye-witnesses and if something like that is reported in the news... why is something not being done to get these horses food & water. What the hell?
    Good call. I'm hoping folks have tried to at least get the animals water.
    RIP Bo, the real Appassionato
    5/5/84-7/12/08

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    I am sure that was NOT meant literally.
    I wasn't sure if they were really throwing rocks, either. I wondered why he would so boldly admit it