The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Too cold to ride - does that mean board pymt should be late?

Ok, it's been pretty cold here in good ole' MI and many of my boarders aren't coming out to ride. Not a big deal. The horses still go out 8 hours a day. But does that translate into "I don't come out to ride so I'm not going to pay my board on time?" I send out invoices well over a week in advance and people know they can post date a check and send it to me. Why do they think they don't need to pay board on time just because they don't come out to ride? Does the landlord let people slide because they got home late from work or are on vacation? Sorry, I need to vent - even an email from boarders saying "sorry I will be out tomorrow" would be nice.
    Enough with the drama!

It amazes me that you have to even send out notices. It's monthly board, right? Tack on a late fee so they'll get into the habit of paying you reasonably on time without constantly having to be reminded. Put the onus back on them, where it belongs. Good luck with your tardy boarders.

I thought post-dating a check was illegal?

They do need to send it in on time (don't you have a late fee?) - has the weather been so bad that they cannot even drive to your place? And of course there's still good ol' snail mail...

I would definitely charge them a late fee!!

As a point of note - I always post nice little reminders in my barn about important issues like remembering to plug the fence back in, putting jumps away, etc. A written notice really does do a lot to get things done. Also, I like to type up newsletters for all of my boarders and either hand them out or mail them with things such as the problem that you have brought forth. Always be polite, but be firm. Sometimes seeing these things in writing helps.
    Good Luck!

It's kind of funny you mention this, as a few of the boarders where I am (who always pay on the 1st of the month) have been paying the 2nd/3rd because it's too cold for them! Not that I think it's right, just kinda funny that you mention it. Considering you send them invoices, I think they would know to pay. They could just have stuck it in the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by blondmane View Post
    Ok, it's been pretty cold here in good ole' MI and many of my boarders aren't coming out to ride. Not a big deal. The horses still go out 8 hours a day. But does that translate into "I don't come out to ride so I'm not going to pay my board on time?" I send out invoices well over a week in advance and people know they can post date a check and send it to me. Why do they think they don't need to pay board on time just because they don't come out to ride? Does the landlord let people slide because they got home late from work or are on vacation? Sorry, I need to vent - even an email from boarders saying "sorry I will be out tomorrow" would be nice.
    Geeze, I wish someone would sent me invoices!
    Seriously though, at my barn, you have 10 days to pick them up and get a check together (they are put out the first of every month), if not, you get charged $50 as a late fee.
    In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1300 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.

I do charge a late fee, and all of these boarders know it = it was in their boarding agreement (which they all received copies of when they came here.) One of them is usually late every couple months. I just tack on the fee to the invoice for the following month.

The road conditions have been fine. They could have come out today, yesterday, any day this week for that matter!

I have never heard post-dating a check to be illegal. The banks just aren't supposed to deposit them if they are post-dated. I wouldn't take them to the bank until the date of the check or afterwards.
    Enough with the drama!

I'm pretty sure it is illegal. Perhaps someone else can cite it but I have seen that several times, that banks are no longer required to not deposit/cash on the date of the check.

They haven't paid for January, or February?

The ones that are continually late always will be.
    RIP Bo, the real Appassionato
    5/5/84-7/12/08

I even email invoices! I guess they forget I still have to pay for feed, shavings, electricity, insurance, fuel for tractor, etc on specific days of the month.
    Enough with the drama!

Haven't paid for February. I require payment on the 1st. No new boarders so they all know what the policy is.
    Enough with the drama!

Quote Originally Posted by blondmane View Post
    Haven't paid for February. I require payment on the 1st. No new boarders so they all know what the policy is.
    Oh ok, just curious with today being the first. All barns I've been at had the 10 day courtesy (or 7 day, whatever) after the first. After that, late charges.

In any case, your barn, your rules. If they don't like it, they can leave. I can certainly understand circumstances of which they can't make it out, but a phone call, email, something to let you know is expected of them.
    RIP Bo, the real Appassionato
    5/5/84-7/12/08

For my horses in training I offer up a simple incentive - 5% discount IF payment is received in full by the 10th of the month. So 5% isn't THAT big a deal... but when you have 2 horses in training at $45/day it adds up. I haven't ever had to add a late fee - they are all too busy taking advantage of that 5% discount. Of course I had to make sure the day rate was high enough on the front end to justify the discount on the back end.
    Jessi Pizzurro ~~ Pennyroyal Stables
    Racehorses, OTTBs ~~ 330 383 1281
    Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway. -- John Wayne

Don't be putting up with that lame behavior by your boarders, blondmane. I haven't ridden my horse in a week, but I made a special trip out TODAY to hand-deliver my board check to my BO. And she doesn't even start charging late fees until after the 5th of the month!

If they are too lazy for a special trip, well, there's always stamps. Heck, my bank would mail the check for free if I used my online banking privileges, but I actually like seeing my BO's eyes sparkle with appreciation when I hand her the check. It's the least I can do for her after she slaves away taking care of my horse.

Smile

I am a boarder, not a barn owner, and I think it is totally reasonable to charge a late fee. Send out a letter telling your boarders that there is a new policy charging a $25 late fee for board past (whatever day you think is reasonable). Thank goodness for the U.S. postal service. If it is too cold out they can just mail in a check. Don't put up with dead beat boarders. Being late once in a blue moon is one thing (you can always make an exception)....late on a regular basis should be nipped in the bud.

Is it stated in the contract somewhere that they have to present you with the check in person? I mean come on, a stamp is pretty cheap way to send a check. The mail still goes through when the weather gets cold.
    R.I.P Vanny 26 yr QH Stallion 4/11/82 - 5/8/08, Scout 28 yr Paint Cross Gelding, Glistening 11 yr Arab/Saddlebred Mare

Ug, I was already feeling guilty that I went to the barn today and completely forgot to drop off the check. O well I will do it tom morning. I usually try to get it in on the first if not before.
    I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.

Gosh, if it's only just happened the one time, with a handful of individuals who are otherwise good and reliable, I'd be inclined to let it slide once. Today is the first--maybe the mail got left on the kitchen counter by accident? Maybe someone had an unexpected large bill? If it's chronic and widespread, by all means you have the right to do something punitive or at least enforce the policy somehow, but if these are otherwise good people, maybe perhaps cut them some slack for a day or two?

I am guilty of being late with board checks sometimes. I never, EVER carry our checkbook with me--it stays in the house. I'd be so happy if stables accepted credit cards and did automatic billing!
    Click here before you buy.

In Canada it is not illegal to post date a cheque. Canadian banks will hold the cheque until the day is it dated, and then deposit it into the owners account. In the United States it is not illegal either, although US banks are not allowed to accept the cheque until the date it is able to be cashed. The cheque itself it legal tender, not the date. So the problem is it could be cashed even before the date stated on the cheque. I give my barn in Canada 12 post-dated cheques dated for the first of every month once a year. My barn is VERY firm on this, and I don't blame them. I have found if you give people an inch on stuff like this, they will usually take advantage until someone puts their foot down.

Michigan is Michigan..we chose to live here and know how it is.

The weather is NO excuse for not paying board (and I'm a MI boarder)

And frankly? I've only been living here for 11 years,but this has been the mildest winter by far since I've been here.

IMO...Charge 'em up.