The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default What do you want to be called on a BB??

I was reading a thread on here, and a poster was called by a shortening of her screen name. And most of us know her real name. Same with a few other posters here. And I've been on other, smaller forums where most of the members are called by their real names, even though it's different from their screen name.

I know I've occasionally been called by my real name on here. I've also been called Jenners (which is close) and TJ, or my full screen name. So it got me thinking...what do YOU prefer being called on a BB? A shortening of your screen name or only the whole thing? What about abbreviations? Would it tick you off if someone used your real name (ie you like the anonymonity?)
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I really don't care what people call me as long as I can tell they are referring to me....CA, Curb, Curb Appeal. If someone does know my name, Susan, and wants to use it, that's fine too. There are a whole lot of Susans in the world, so privacy is certainly not a concern and the fact that my horse's name is my screen name would be a give away to anyone who may know me locally.
    "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Cool

I've been referred to as "DND"and that's just fine with me. I'm ignored enough that getting ANY reference is a good thing! If folks know my real name and call me by that (though I don't think the ones who do have done so on the board) that's ok, too. Doesn't really matter overall to me.

Member of:
    Unspoiled Onlies Clique
    Arid-Zona Is Hot Clique
    The I Have No Business Doing Dressage Clique

"It is never too late to be what you might have been" (George Elliot)

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

I really, REALLY hate my real name being used. Because it is a rare (gaelic) spelling and makes me even easier to google. (I know I already am... but... I don't particularly want my latest horsey madness to be revealed) My work leaves me fairly vulnerable.. soo....

PP (not to be confused w/ Pocket Pony!) or my whole screen name, or shorten it, whatever, but PLEASE don't use my real name! I think it's rude to use first names/real names unless you KNOW that it's ok with the poster.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Google away--if people care that much about me to do it, I don't care. Lark is my real name.
    Lark B
    socialwstudent@gmail.com
    _________

Guunar is hard to shorten! I do include my real name in my Signature so I do not care. Lots of Stephs in the world and if you know me you know I am really Stephanne!

I often shorten names on the BB and hope no one is offended by my abbreviations but my typing is not the best! The less I have to type the better so abbreviations of names are needed!
    Steph

http://community.webshots.com/user/stephanne014

Rerider/Haydunker Clique

RIP Barbaro, you were my hero!

I'm quite fond of ~ Her Royal Highness~, but Sakura works too ... at least for my forum friends

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

I don't much care - I'm not hiding - I just like my screenname. But I usually sign my posts with my real name, Sandra. So, I'm fine with either Sandra or snbess.
    Sandra

For me, it really doesn't matter as long as I can tell I'm being addressed. There's only a small handful of people here who know my real name, so to use it would likely just confuse other posters. I know I've read first names in threads and not had a clue to whom the response was directed.
    Jer 29: 11-13

I don't mind what people call me (OB, Oakes) as long as I can tell it's meant for me. It does kinda bug me when someone refers to someone in the thread with their real name when I don't know it, because then I can't follow the conversation. But that's just a pet peeve.

Interesting question. I actually prefer "RR" to "Reynard." Although, really, I am pretty foxy in real life ( - dang, I think I just peed myself).

I'm a big user of initials, although, of course, the Geek is just the Geek.

Of interest only to me - I imagine many people on this BB have read the book I wrote about my pony -- but I wonder how many of them COULD (off the top of their head, anyway) tell you what my real name is. Although they could all probably come up with "Reynard Ridge."

When real life and BBs collide. As an ex-sociologist, I find all of this stuff so fascinating.

Well, a lot of people just shorten it and call me furlong (In real life too, because I have many friends I met through a BB. Even though we now know each other's real names, we all answer to our screennames as well ) I was on another board where it was shortened to furry which is kind of silly. I don't mind people using my real name but I don't think anyone here knows what it is.

Technically, my screenname is all one word including the number, and lowercase. Kind of like ee cummings or kd lang It's also a complete other identity... it is the only screenname that I use anywhere... and have ever since the internet was first beginning to enter widespread use.

I've googled myself and I can't even find me so if someone uses my name, that's ok. Most people just use my screen name, or Al, or bama. Anything is fine with me.
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

Quote Originally Posted by alabama View Post
    I've googled myself and I can't even find me so if someone uses my name, that's ok.
    Mine is so common, the massive number of hits gives me anonymity. But it turns out, my full name is shared by two folk singers. I could possibly argue that they're giving me a bad name because I just had to listen to some samples, and, um, well... Bad. Really bad.
    Jer 29: 11-13

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard Ridge View Post
    ....but I wonder how many of them COULD (off the top of their head, anyway) tell you what my real name is...
    *Raises hand and waves wildly* ..Me, me...I could!!!!

I honestly don't mind having my name used since I have posted my full name within many of my posts...tho I understand some not wanting to do so. I do feel if you are going to confront an issue or person you should back it up by identifying yourself and not hiding behind a screen name or alter!

Talking

Well, sometimes abbreviation can lead to hilarious results, like when someone was hurriedly typing "Appassionato" and came up with "Asspantio" instead.
    "Men tended to discount the capacity of animals to enact, often with considerable panache, the foulest of crimes and the most daring stunts." --Michael Chabon

Smile! It won't mess up your hair!

well some call me gls some call me goes like and some call me stinky

what do i care -- goesliekstink is goes fast --as in sxxt of a shovel
    haha couldnt call meself that my other me is foxyroxket
    hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by pintopiaffe View Post
    I think it's rude to use first names/real names unless you KNOW that it's ok with the poster.
    I'm not sure that I think it's "rude" anymore since, as this thread shows, there are people who wouldn't consider it inappropriate. But I, too, would strongly prefer that people not use my first name in posts.

I'm quite content with using the whole BB name or any logical abbreviation of it. And, oddly, there are a fair number of people who know me IRL and call me "Awgie".
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

As long as someone is not name-calling, I don't care what name they use...

RR, you are actually the person who sparked the thread. Because I happen to know your actual name (bought my maman the book), and I remember the whole is-RR-Russian Roulette-or-Reynard Ridge?-fiasco and then saw you refered to as Reynard earlier today.

As for me, I don't care if anyone knows my real name. I've also googled myself and got nothing that was actually me. DH, parentals and a few friends call me Jenners; I'm actually a Jennifer who prefers Jenn (with TWO Ns!)...hence the screen name.
    Last edited by TheJenners; Jan. 20, 2007 at 03:42 PM. Reason: 'cause my fingers got ahead of my brain...again.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl