The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Exclamation The Anti-anti-slaughter activist thread... County, et al, please chime in

I'm hoping I'm on enough of the hand-wringer's "Ingore" lists that they don't come flocking over here...

Questions:

Is there an ag-industry movement against this legislation that I can look at web sites from to get ideas for my letters? If there is, do they have a strategy that one could piggy-back on (or at least not accientally contradict) or list of the "Fors" and "Againsts" like the American Legion did for proponents and opponents of the legislation to ban flag burning? I'm trying to tailor different versions of my letter to different view points but that only works if I know who's for what.

How does one get e-mail addresses for the bill sponsors and committee members? The official .gov website blocks you from contacting congresscritters other than those from your own district (as far as I've been able to figure out). Silly me, I was thinking that bill sponsors and committee people shouldn't be hiding behind their own districts!!!

Thanks!

assuming you are "pro" slaughter--if so, I can share a deep dark secret. I think banning horse slaughter is ludicrous and wrong. It will serve only to dramatically increase the number of neglected, unwanted, suffering beasts in the muddy backyards of this horseloving country. I think, too, that a horse's slaughter price drives the horse industry--in effect providing a floor for a reasonable price for a grade horse. The best horse I ever owned was headed for the canner and I'm proud I bought him and rehabilitated him. I sent a lame horse I could not afford to support to the sales KNOWING she was going to the canners and while I regret the necessity at that time it was really my only option to recoup some of her price and recycle that money into my next (and better) horse. The new mare in addition to giving me something to ride was companion to the afore mentioned best horse ever who was grieving no end for my old mare and had no business lving alone. To say that EVERYone who owns a horse should have the funds available to euthanize and keep enough horses so that everyone has company etc is to price the hobby, passion, pasttime out of the range of all but the very wealthy and is elitist and undemocratic. Get yr flamethrowers out!

Last time I checked, humane euthanization was not cost prohibitive.
    I for one could not live with myself if ,after years of working hard for me, my horse ended up at the "canners". Any horse I have will die with me, and if necessary I will intervene to be sure he is not suffering. Dollars gained my selling him to the meat man are contaminated in my mind, and anyone so broke they cannot afford euthanization doesn't need to own a horse.

Flame on.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jeano View Post
    I think, too, that a horse's slaughter price drives the horse industry--in effect providing a floor for a reasonable price for a grade horse.
    http://www.fund4horses.org/info.php?id=298
    “Every horse should have a real value,” Doyle insisted, “not a false floor of a slaughterhouse price. If you remove that alternative for irresponsible horsemanship, it will encourage breeding more carefully. As long as slaughter is in place, there is a reward for irresponsible horsemanship.”

Thumbs up Your my Hero!

Quote Originally Posted by greysandbays View Post
    I'm hoping I'm on enough of the hand-wringer's "Ingore" lists that they don't come flocking over here...

Questions:

Is there an ag-industry movement against this legislation that I can look at web sites from to get ideas for my letters? If there is, do they have a strategy that one could piggy-back on (or at least not accientally contradict) or list of the "Fors" and "Againsts" like the American Legion did for proponents and opponents of the legislation to ban flag burning? I'm trying to tailor different versions of my letter to different view points but that only works if I know who's for what.

How does one get e-mail addresses for the bill sponsors and committee members? The official .gov website blocks you from contacting congresscritters other than those from your own district (as far as I've been able to figure out). Silly me, I was thinking that bill sponsors and committee people shouldn't be hiding behind their own districts!!!

Thanks!
    I am thrilled that you thought to do this! I suck at putting words together, but I would be more than happy to help in anyway I can!
    Oh and JEano, excellent post!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

The quick answer, G&B, is no, not really.

Days End Farm Horse Rescue in MD had a very good article in their newsletter a few years ago about why they opposed the legislation. I think I have a copy somewhere if you think it would be helpful. But I haven't seen any kind of organized response to it of the type you are looking for.
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

well, I am on the same page as moonriverfarm. And she said it better than I could.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I personally am pro-slaughter and want regulations to increase the number of slaughter houses, and the treatment of horses while in them/travelling to them. It could be a thriving business, both for horse meat, and a cost effective way to euthanise horses which is acceptable to the masses.

But the notion of euthanasia costs excludes many people from this hobby is absurd - if you are living so close to the edge where you can not afford it you should not be owning horses.

TSCRA (Texas Cattle Raisers) sent around a "memo" to it's member with a bunch of reasons why slaughter should not be banned. I believe they may have that information contained on their website. So in answer to your question, yes, there is an ag movement against the legislation. One of the primary reasons is loss of rights to care for your livestock as you see fit. However, this does not mean that they are against improvements to the process to make it more humane as some of the knee-jerk types would have you think.

FYI, the "Hay Shed" (see my sig for link) is set up with a forum dedicated specifically to the slaughter issue. The folder arrangement is designed to encourage productive discussion and minimize the bickering.
    Jer 29: 11-13

Angela Freda, couldn't have stated that any better, you're awsome!

As for you Jeano, you have no business owning a horse if you don't at least have the $ to euthanize it when it becomes "worthless" to you. And then to go and buy another horse, are you kidding? Dear god I hope you don't ever procreate, are you proud of yourself for being that irresponsible???

Oh, and the comment that was made about there being an increase in neglect/abuse if slaughter wasn't an option is complete and utter BS, there have been tons of studies done that totally disprove that theory, please, do yourself a favor and educate yourself before typing stuff like that, you just look like an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by plain bay View Post
    Angela Freda, couldn't have stated that any better, you're awsome!
    Actually, I can not take credit for that quote.
    It's from Fund4horses, Mr Doyle.

And I have to agree that if one is not able to afford the comparably minimal cost of euthenasia/disposal for the horse once they are done using it they should not own horses. Alas It's the word "Own" that gives them the right to do with that animal whatever they choose, as long as it it legal.
    Last edited by Angela Freda; Jan. 18, 2007 at 04:18 PM. Reason: spelling, as usual

[QUOTE=To say that EVERYone who owns a horse should have the funds available to euthanize and keep enough horses so that everyone has company etc is to price the hobby, passion, pasttime out of the range of all but the very wealthy and is elitist and undemocratic. QUOTE]

Sorry, I just re-read your post again, and this quote makes me FURIOUS DO NOT make assumptions like this about people you don't even know! I am a 23-year-old college student (full time) with a full-time job, and I support my horse with no help from anyone but myself. I pay his board bill every month, his farrier bill every 6-8 weeks, I pay his vet bills, and when the time comes, I have the cash to put him down humanely. Those are just the basics of responsible horse ownership. I am by no means wealthy, and my idea of responsible horsemanship/ownership is definitely not at all elitist, it's COMMON SENSE!!! And I'm sure there are a ton of COTH posters who are in the same boat as I am and are just as responsible.

Oh well, there I go again, this is as bad as when I let people know that I butcher my own meat from animals I raise. I will mention that I am now a lot more solvent then I was then and have no intention of sending a horse to a sale knowing it would go to the canners. NOW. But I was at that time unable to support a lame horse. Now, I know there are people who salve their tender feelings by selling old and lame horses as companions, etc, but I think they are fooling themselves and getting someone else to do their dirty work. Merely an opinion, will now zip up my asbestos hoody.

Quote Originally Posted by plain bay View Post
    Oh, and the comment that was made about there being an increase in neglect/abuse if slaughter wasn't an option is complete and utter BS, there have been tons of studies done that totally disprove that theory, please, do yourself a favor and educate yourself before typing stuff like that, you just look like an idiot.
    I disagree - there is a huge overpopulation of horses in the US, even with 100,000 killed per year.

Quote Originally Posted by jeano View Post
    I sent a lame horse I could not afford to support to the sales KNOWING she was going to the canners and while I regret the necessity at that time it was really my only option to recoup some of her price and recycle that money into my next (and better) horse.
    Wow...what a testament to our throwaway society right here on COTH...how sad for your poor lame horse who probably rode for many hours cramped into a transport of some type...a double decker perhaps...hitting his head on the ceiling...and knocked around by the other horses...maybe attacked by a stallion who was not segregated (as many are not) and poked by cattle prods to get him to move faster as he limped along.... Hopefully he was a lucky one who was properly "stunned" with one and not multiple hits before being hoisted up and having his throat cut. He was probably pretty ready to die by then after that ordeal so hopefully he stood still in the knock box. What a great reward to him for his service to you. Great job! (where's the barf icon?)

After the state of California banned horses from being transported for slaughter, there was a study done a while late (I believe like a year or so) and they found no increase in the amount of neglect/abuse cases. I would find it for you, but I'm sure you're an intelligent person HungLikeAStallion, just use google

MY horses will be euthanized or carefully re-homed. I do not expect others to do the same. I think that is a sugar-coated, "wish life were perfect" approach.

Oh, and the comment that was made about there being an increase in neglect/abuse if slaughter wasn't an option is complete and utter BS, there have been tons of studies done that totally disprove that theory
    Find me ONE unbiased statistic on this. One that is not sponsored by anti-slaughter groups. One that does not traffic in "reported" abuse cases -- which will be tough because what else is there? I know that reported child abuse and domestic violence cases are not considered to be representative... wouldn't you expect even FEWER reports of animal cases?

The only numbers I've seen were from California, and I do not believe that California's ban on horse slaughter had any sizeable effect on the number of CA horses being slaughtered. No ban on slaughter can work on a state-by-state basis. Personally I don't think it will work on a nationwide basis either, but at least there is some semblance of control of U.S. borders.

I apologize to the OP. I came to this thread hoping that there wouldn't be a pro/con argument, but that can't be controlled and is to be expected I suppose!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

COULDN'T AGREE MORE..........What a way to send off your PET!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    Wow...what a testament to our throwaway society right here on COTH...how sad for your poor lame horse who probably rode for many hours cramped into a transport of some type...a double decker perhaps...hitting his head on the ceiling...and knocked around by the other horses...maybe attacked by a stallion who was not segregated (as many are not) and poked by cattle prods to get him to move faster as he limped along.... Hopefully he was a lucky one who was properly "stunned" with one and not multiple hits before being hoisted up and having his throat cut. He was probably pretty ready to die by then after that ordeal so hopefully he stood still in the knock box. What a great reward to him for his service to you. Great job! (where's the barf icon?)

Quote Originally Posted by moonriverfarm View Post
    Last time I checked, humane euthanization was not cost prohibitive.
    I for one could not live with myself if ,after years of working hard for me, my horse ended up at the "canners". Any horse I have will die with me, and if necessary I will intervene to be sure he is not suffering. Dollars gained my selling him to the meat man are contaminated in my mind, and anyone so broke they cannot afford euthanization doesn't need to own a horse.

Flame on.
    There you go. Wish I could find out how to make a nodding emoticon.
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

Default back to the Q in the OP...

Greysandbays, try

http://www.commonhorsesense.com

You can sign up for at least your own "congresscritters" (love it!) contact info. and a sample memo and talking points, among other things.