The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default Watch & listen to this lovely rider!

*** 4 More Years ***
    *** 4 More Years ***

Here's a newbie question about that ride. Her legs look really busy and every once in a while she makes very exaggerated movements with her hands. Explain please?

Ash

Daflan, your not going to believe this, but I got the email from dressageclinic.com to log in to view the video. I have been fighting for the last hour with my username and password. Is this one of the free videos? I guess it has to be.

I was thinking of posting the same thing, you beat me to it because I couldn't get my username/password straight. God Damn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash N Brenna View Post
    Here's a newbie question about that ride. Her legs look really busy and every once in a while she makes very exaggerated movements with her hands. Explain please?

Ash
    Her legs looked a bit busy to me too. The point of the exaggerated hand movements was to demonstrate that she is not holding him in a frame with her hands.
    http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ncer/?start=20

Mares are like neutrons. If there are too many in an area, you approach critical mass. And then there are explosions. Loud ones.

CAT interference!!! I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline Weber View Post
    Her legs looked a bit busy to me too. The point of the exaggerated hand movements was to demonstrate that she is not holding him in a frame with her hands.

Bull. Bull, Bull, Bull. No Way.

I have only the little bit to see, but I can tell you she is giving you a no bullshitting response on what is supposed to happen in the dressage arena. She is right! She is true, I can tell that with what she is saying and feeling is true!

What she is feeling right there in that little snippet, is exactly what I strive for for each of my horses.

I sure wish that I could share the rest of the video, because I do have a dressageclinic.com account. I myself have to figure out my own pw issue to see the whole thing

Quote Originally Posted by YoungFilly View Post

Bull. Bull, Bull, Bull. No Way.
    What exactly do you think is bull? I thought her legs looked a bit busy, but not to the point that it bothered me. It looked to me like she was mostly just keeping him forward.

She was demonstrating a GOOD thing with the hand gestures - that she is NOT holding him in a frame.
    http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ncer/?start=20

Mares are like neutrons. If there are too many in an area, you approach critical mass. And then there are explosions. Loud ones.

I sure wish that I could share the rest of the video, because I do have a dressageclinic.com account. I myself have to figure out my own pw issue to see the whole thing
    Please do so as quickly as possible. Would love to see the rest. Would love to see this lovely rider in the next Olympics.
    *** 4 More Years ***
    *** 4 More Years ***

Looks like she's nagging him constantly with her spur....

I can't Daflan. This is a pay per view site. I would love to do so, but I can't. You have to pay for it.

Of course, thats why they put the teaser out. So you would go, like, OMG, I want to see the rest of the video.

I am a little frustrated tonight because I do have an account, and I do want to see it, and now I have to sit and wait to see the rest. All because I can't remember my god dam freakin password!

I don't think it is with the spur because it doesn't look as though the spur actually touches the horse but her calf is quite busy. Perhaps the horse's motion causes this. He looks very springy. I think the point of the hand movement was to show how she could change the place of her hand but maintain the correct connection. Later in the video she released completely to show that she wasn't holding him in. Interesting video to watch. Thanks for posting.

I think what Ash N Brenna was talking about was not when she would release totally and bring her hands/arms up, but after she had talked about that and was just riding normally. Every once in a while, her hands and forearms would "bounce up", for lack of a better term. It's like a jerky movement, not backwards, just up. I was wondering about it, but she's such a good rider, I don't feel qualified to pick at her position

I, not that long ago, was in a clinic with a woman from Britian. The forwardness was so not like what we have here in America. I was impressed because I was bouncing! Serious, she had us going so forward, that what I thought was right, inactuallity, was very lame in comparison.

How she got us there:

Odette had to go forward, forward, forward down the long side, and then, even more emphasis on corners, push her even harder in the corners. At points I had to post to get that kind of pushing power, and
    I would never post that video on the internet becase she was pushed so hard, and had international gaits, but I was a freakin rag doll on her back.

Talking

I watched the same thing today and was mentally struggling if I should sign up again for the service...it is worth it for a while- but not for the long run - I almost wish they would let you sign up just for what you want and charge you when you use it- rather than monthly.

I spoke to her last weekend via e-mail about a clinic out here- she is a great rider- reminds me a little of Kathleen Raine- also a great rider in my mind.
    She is very clear about what she wants and doesn't- and from what I heard on the teaser video- I do like her teaching concepts quite a bit.

it is easy to judge her legs and 'busyness'- once you have sat on a great moving WB that is not the most comfortable - you will realize how very hard it is to look still and elegant...it's almost like you have to become a permanent shock absorber.

And also remember, that was a true working trot. Not a western jog, at all .
    I saw nothing wrong with her legs. They just reflect the movement of the horse, imo. Watch the really good riders. You will see this "out and in" of the legs in the sit trot.
    *** 4 More Years ***
    *** 4 More Years ***

Nice horse, looks fun to ride. I like her, legs were a bit busy but not to the detriment of the horses rhythm by the looks of things. She was puffing a lot!! I'm sure I would be too though!

I have to admit, that teaser clip made me sign up again so I could watch the entire session. Well worth every penny, IMHO.

What a great instructor she must be, very clear in her explanations, and she had some great tidbits in there.

Oh, and the icing on the cake was watching Hubertus Schmidt school Furst Fabio. wow, just, wow.

Quote Originally Posted by nero View Post
    Nice horse, looks fun to ride. I like her, legs were a bit busy but not to the detriment of the horses rhythm by the looks of things. She was puffing a lot!! I'm sure I would be too though!
    I agree- have you ever ridden with one of those thingies on your head and tried to talk at the same time- wow- how hard is that...
    I mostly liked her core being stable yet soft and very swingy- she rode the most out of this horse- while speaking into the mike...

DAlfan- this is a first for us- on agreeing!! Let's briefly pause and remember the moment...LOL!
    (in good jest...)

Smile Simply marvelous .....

Ahhh, I think I'd like to go back and count how many times she uses the word
    "simple" or "simply" in those 3 short minutes.
    (Actually she only uses it twice, but implies it a WHOLE lot.) Ha, she makes it look SO easy..... just like when I watch the Olympic level skaters on tv.....

Where are the great, steady lunge horses and the patient instructors who will help us develop/ improve the all important seat?
    Certainly not in my area..... for any amount of money.....
    Dressage is deceptively simple, but complicated..... and yes, I felt out of breath just WATCHING her ride "to the bridle" for that short amount of time.

Thanks for posting!
    Last edited by kansasgal; Jan. 18, 2007 at 01:48 AM. Reason: added on
    What's the scoop?