The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    lhr Guest

Default HELP us save KRIS KRINGLE - Wonderful senior gelding going to slaughter tomorrow

Hi.

I'm new and was referred to this forum to seek help for a horse..........

HELP NEEDED to save Kris Kringle..... a 20+ yo gelding, stuck on a feedlot in WA, with no hope and less than 24 hours left. The slaughter truck is scheduled to take him away tomorrow - please help us save him. We need a foster home in the WA/ID/OR area and donations for his ransom and transportation to SD....

Here is what the volunteer from CBER said about him:
    Kris Kringle - 20 - 22 year old, 15.1h, red roan QH type gelding. Kris is quite sad but perked up when gave him attention and rode him. Kris is very well trained! Neck reins, backs, give to rein and leg pressure. He is an ideal confidence builder! Ideal for the timid rider. He is not 100% sound on his left front but if he was put on supplements like he would make a nice light riding horse.....
    ***Update 1/5/07: Kris is still waiting for his forever home!!! He continues to follow us around looking for treats and affection. He would make a suitable horse for a beginning rider as he is super gentle and well broke.

I know - he is not a draft horse, but after seeing him I couldn't get him off my mind and I just have to do ANYTHING and EVERYTHING to save his life. I'm willing to take him in and get him to South Dakota. However, I need to find a place in WA where he can stay until his transportation to SD can be arranged. And, we need to raise some funds to pay for his ransom ("meat price"), transport, and initial Vet- and farrier bills.

There are also other horses scheduled to go to slaughter tomorrow - please ask for details via e-mail or check the website of CBER.

If you are willing and able to help, please e-mail me RIGHT AWAY at horses@lazyhorserescue.org or lhrsd-horses@yahoo.com
    We only have less than 12 hours left to make this happen........

Thank you.
    Gabi - SD
    www.LazyHorseRescue.org

P.S.: Permission to forward this message privately and/or cross-post.

The price listed for that horse $650.00 is so far above meat prices it is rediculous . CBER is out trying to drum up suckers to buy their over-priced, sickly horses again. When will the madness end??

Also if you can't afford to pay his purchase price (meat price my a$$) how can you afford to rehab him?? Don't you have any horses in need closer to your area without having to play into these horse traders hands??

Quote Originally Posted by lhr View Post
    And, we need to raise some funds to pay for his ransom ("meat price"), transport, and initial Vet- and farrier bills.

www.LazyHorseRescue.org

P.S.: Permission to forward this message privately and/or cross-post.

Is this one of the horses that has been listed "on hold" for most of Dec or Jan? (that seems to be CBER code for sick as a dog)

This horse should be about $200 meat price. That's assuming he has meat under that fuzzy coat. But sadly if he doesn't go another will just get loaded in his place. They don't send partial loads.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

All the horses mentioned by Ang are in beautiful condition and doing very well. They are not hidden under any rock. So stop trying to bring this up again. It is old news..
    And I too am tired of the CBER crap both by supporters AND detractors.
    Enough is enough!

I have no idea who told you to post this here, but boy did they shove you under the bus!

While we're talking about CBEr, I also heard that Mandy Strothers, aka Cuddlycowgirl, pled guilty to 9 counts of animal abuse concerning horses she adopted/was given/boarded via CBEr at her farm in Oregon. Has anyone seen any updates on CBErs website on those horses, and how they are doing?

What about Adam and Blaze, the two reportedly taken to Florence Packing a month ago or so by Chuck Walker himself, who went down in his trailer and were returned to him, then 'found on his lot' (details of how they were dicovered not to be at slaughter are fuzzy) in an incredibly emaciated state? Any updates on them?

I especially like this part of the Kris Kringle horse description:
    He is not 100% sound on his left front but if he was put on supplements like he would make a nice light riding horse.....
    How do they know that "on supplements like he would make a nice light riding horse"? Has the vet been out to see him and told them this? Are they just assuming? This horse could have a myriad of things wrong with him causing that lameness, and that is probably why his former "owner" dumped him at Gary Seals Livestock. Does not make it right (in my book) to slaughter him but his fate is left rather uncertain when you try to mislead the public with statements like the one in his description, unless it is documented fact. Otherwise an unwitting new owner gets him, finds out he has a shattered coffin bone, or has foundered badly, or whatever, and sells him off fast to the next unsuspecting boob. And of course CBER does not have a "no sale" clause in their "adoption contract" (which few get anyway), notr do they retain ownership of the horses they "adopt", so the future of any horse coming through this "rescue" is as uncertain as it ever was. Especially when the horse are so poorly (imo) evaluated and represented.

If you want to see what CBERs history is on CotH, do a search. I'd bet you would find it interesting.
    Last edited by Angela Freda; Jan. 16, 2007 at 03:46 PM. Reason: spelling. Again.

Well at least now you know this is CBER crap and can stay away but i hope before you go you can tell us how you know these horses are doing so well. Have you seen them??

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    All the horses mentioned by Ang are in beautiful condition and doing very well. They are not hidden under any rock. So stop trying to bring this up again. It is old news..
    And I too am tired of the CBER crap both by supporters AND detractors.
    Enough is enough!

Hi.

Whoever told you that either wanted to see an explosion or didn't know COTH very well. COTHers are usually willing to help anyone in need, but mentioning CBER on here is like dropping a bleeding person in the water and asking the sharks for help.
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*
    Proud Momma of *Capital Kiss* and Bottle Rocket!

Am I the only one who worries about a horse destined for slaughter being called a confidence builder, beginners horse - those type of horses do not find there way into that predicament IMHO!

I am disturbed by the notion of trying to save every horse - that is 1/2 the problem with all these bad horses and injured riders.

Quote Originally Posted by HungLikeAStallion View Post
    Am I the only one who worries about a horse destined for slaughter being called a confidence builder, beginners horse - those type of horses do not find there way into that predicament IMHO!
    Ummmm...yes, they do.
    DON'T MAKE ME COME DOWN THERE!!! - God

Quote Originally Posted by HungLikeAStallion View Post

I am disturbed by the notion of trying to save every horse - that is 1/2 the problem with all these bad horses and injured riders.
    Hear, hear!
    There is a reason this horse is at Chucks.
    Doesn't make it right, but selling him without disclosing that reason is also not right.

Juniper...taken off this particular feedlot, is now a leadline pony for a six year old girl, who grooms her, feeds her and takes her out to her stall at night. No training required.

A very real example of a confidence builder who was found on a feedlot.

GinaCCC Guest

I bought a horse from CBER. The website said the horse was 9 years old, in foal, and broke to ride. She was none of the above. When I took her to the vet, she was just getting her 4 year teeth, so they didn't even look in her mouth. She also had a lameness issue that was not mentioned and has since been fixed.

I'm not complaining, I took my chances and actually got a nice horse out of it, but for $750 I could have bought something here and saved all the gas and travel time,but I thought I was 'saving a horse.'

Then after everything was paid up, I drove 16 hours to pick the horse up, used my phone to check my email and had an email from the CBEr person I had been dealing with that she was 'too tired' to come and meet me and give me the horse. I went to the feedlot anyway to see if I could just get her out because I needed to get back home and didn't have time to wait until this person could show up, which would be who knows when. Luckily someone from the feed lot came by and made some calls and I got the horse. If I had not been able to get email, I don't know what I would have done, no one even bothered to call and tell me, after she knew I was leaving and was on my way down there.

Then I started to hear the other stories, and I feel like a big dope for falling for their tactics, I mean even when I bought this horse I thought $750 seemed a bit high if they were meat prices or saving horses from the truck. But anyway.
    Gina

Quote Originally Posted by Lildunhorse View Post
    Juniper...taken off this particular feedlot, is now a leadline pony for a six year old girl, who grooms her, feeds her and takes her out to her stall at night. No training required.

A very real example of a confidence builder who was found on a feedlot.
    Or a very real example of your incredible luck!
    Many others were "adopted" off this lot and died of some incredible illness, were far more aged than advertised on CBErs website, or were of a complete other sex, were lame, or half wild.
    Unless you do a pre-purchase exam, it appears you can not be sure what you are getting from this dealer lot/rescue.
    *Buyer beware*.

You know, I don't care what your issues are with CBER, but do NOT do the horses the disservice of claiming that they are all there for a reason. Many very fine serviceable horses have come out of this lot and many other lots just like it. Juniper, Twist, Tully, Kona and her unborn filly Lucy, Sprite, Lakota and her unborn filly Spring, Delaney, etc, etc....all beautiful, awesome horses with a future.

To watch you people destroy all the hard work that Pro-horse people have been doing just to bring down CBER sickens me.

There was nothing lucky about Juniper. I went, I saw her, I touched her, I talked to her and I discerned a beautiful young mare that needed a chance. It's a damned good thing she didn't depend on any of you for it.

The reason they are there is so that Chuck can sell them through a rescue for huge profits and go buy some Indian horses for 100.00 each and less to ship to slaughter. Think what he could do with 650.00. He knows a good thing when he has it. It is a disgrace!!! Horse brokers and rescues should not be in business together. Since when does buying horses for sale and reselling them have anything to do with rescue?

You know, I don't care what your issues are with CBER, but do NOT do the horses the disservice of claiming that they are all there for a reason. .

We all love horses but the notion of trying to save every horse just seems wrong. Horses are overpopulated in the US, there is a demand for meat, and not every horse is suitable or worthy of a role as a pet, or in an equestrian discipline. Horses are livestock and there is nothing wrong with eating them. Why do we not try and solve more pressing issues like neglected horses, or improving the slaughter process than ones who are going to have their lights out in a day - I guess there is less money in the former.

Please don't hold the fact that CBER has some serious issues against feedlot/rescue horses in general. I can give you HUNDREDS of success stories from horses the organization I am with has rescued. That is way too many to be luck. We adopt out an average of 100 horses per year, many of them were directly saved from the meat pen.
    While it may be true that some of them "are there for a reason" many times that reason is their owners are assholes.

That is not the point, this guy is not a feedlot owner, he is a broker who sells to the public or anyone with the money. We all know there are great horses out there that fall through cracks. I have gotten many many great horses at auctions bidding against the meatman.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Please don't hold the fact that CBER has some serious issues against feedlot/rescue horses in general. I can give you HUNDREDS of success stories from horses the organization I am with has rescued. That is way too many to be luck. We adopt out an average of 100 horses per year, many of them were directly saved from the meat pen.
    While it may be true that some of them "are there for a reason" many times that reason is their owners are assholes.

You know, I don't care what your issues are with CBER, but do NOT do the horses the disservice of claiming that they are all there for a reason. Many very fine serviceable horses have come out of this lot and many other lots just like it.
    The disservice is done by the rescue, thanks.
    They glib-ly "asses" the horses, putting in incredible guesses like the one in this Kris Kringle horses description (re his need for supplements to be sound for light riding) as to their issues or potential, all without the benefit of a farrier/vet input. They have a hard time guessing ages, have muffed the gender on at least one horse, and this leaves one wondering about their ability to accurately asses much of anything on these horses.

It's not very pro-horse to represent them as one thing, when in fact they are/might be another, regardless your intentions or what you call your organization.