The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default White Tail, or should I say yellow!

I am leasing a new horse for the show season which happens to be a gray! I know, what was I thinking... She loves to lay down in her stall and somehow always gets her tail very very dirty. Does anyone have any good tricks to get a tail white from the horrible yellow tHing that it is! Her tail is kinda tricky as it does have black at the top and some brown at the bottom as well.

Here is a picture of a similar tail:
    http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...95803679IQngSn

Here is her tail, I know the lighting is terrible but should get the idea of how yellowy brown the bottom is.
    http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...95803679iBVbKa

Tried using blue shampoo/Quick Silver but it doesn't get the yellow out of the bottom 5"

Things that I have heard work:
    shout spray
    Shapley's White Spray
    Absorbine Show Clean
    hydrogen peroxide
    Dawn dishsoap
    Fanciful hair dye

ANY THOUGHTS
    Last edited by CYRADIS; Jan. 12, 2007 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Spelling!

No help, but I need the same advice. I know there's been threads on this last year.
    There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

A few things I have had success with in the past:

Washing with Wisk (but leaves the hair very coarse)

Fanciful Rinse: White Minx (the best)

You can find the White Minx at Wal-Mart or any beauty supply. It is a temporary fix and needs to be applied after washing. After washing try keeping the tail braided and in a tail bag.

I am also interested in what has worked for others!!

Talking

Mix Vetrolin (green linament) with rubbing alchol, and put in a spray bottle. This will be your best friend to spray any dirt spots with. Then rub out with rag, and this works for dirt or green spots or yellow. Fabulous!

Also, have washed tails with Biz, but this will also leave tail a little coarse. Orvus is also a good shampoo to get the dirt and stains out, but a little bit goes a long way.

Can you tell I grew up with a white pony?
    ~ Kimberlee
    www.SpunkyDiva.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlee View Post
    have washed tails with Biz
    What is Biz?

A stain removing clothes wash soap. (does that make sense) pretty sure mom used it because it does not have bleach in it, but can't swear to that
    ~ Kimberlee
    www.SpunkyDiva.com

The BO uses laundry bluing. She swears by it.
    To many, the words love, hope and dreams are synonymous with horses. ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes

http://www.ctgponies.4t.com/

I have tried the laundry blueing and it did work well but be very very careful and get it out ASAP as soon as you use it because otherwise, the tail will stay BLUE!

I use that silver blue stuff shampoo and the blueing on my paint who is 80% white with a mostly white tail and solid white mane. When she was born - the first 1 1/2 years she battled diarhea and even with worming and vet help constantly, it took that long to get that remedied so I had to deal with a yellow tail and a badly stained tail after that time and I used the blueing and the whitening shampoo. If you get it on her skin (buttocks) and you wash the tail a lot - you may need to put something on her buttocks to keep her skin from getting chapped because the whitening stuff can irritate - learned that the hard way - I ended up putting a towel under her tail when I washed it.

Good luck!

http://www.xtremedesignproducts.peac...R180243347.htm

This is great stuff. I dont have a grey, but I use it on my horses star, and it is GLEAMING white. Almost looks fake, like I put baby powder on him. It smells really nice too!
    When I worked for a BNT, I used it on his mare's tail. It looked great. He used to soak it in bleach, but that didnt work well, just made her stink!

Second what Kimberlee said about the Vetrolin and the Orvus. Orvus is handy for washing a great many things, actually. I've never used Shout! on a horse, but it does work really well on stained clothes...

Vinegar. Yes Vinegar.

Once the tail is already yellow, you will need to clean it several days in a row until it is white again and then you will be able to go down to a regular maintenance schedule.

My SOP is to wet tail, wash and scrub tail, let shampoo sit for a minute while I wet down the rest of horse for his bath. Then rinse the tail throughly. If it is still running out brown, shampoo and rinse until the water runs clear. Douse/dunk tail in vinegar. Bathe and rinse rest of horse. Return to tail, shampoo and rinse again. Rinse entire horse, including tail in diluted vinegar.

*I prefer shampoo vs Orvus after that first bath of the spring. I find Orvus a little too harsh for regular use, but it is damn handy for that first one!

I find with a very large grey horse, that 1 gallon of vinegar will get me through about 2ish months, assuming that I have a decent baseline of clean.

I have tried just about everything to get my own horse white. Bought all the special shampoo and they worked just okay.

Then someone suggested dawn dish soap to me. I thought it would only cost me a few dollars so I might as well give it a try. WOW! My horse has never been whiter. I swear by the stuff!

First thing is to wash the tail frequently, so the dirt doesn't build up.

Someone here recommended Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo, and I have been using that regularly. Even when it is too cold to bathe the rest of the horse, I can wash the tail.

Then, when it is "show time", I wash it with the Suave shampoo, rinse, soak in white vinegar, rinse, and then wash again with one of the blue shampoos.

The regular shampoo- vinegar-blue shampoo was recommende in Horse Journal.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by GE View Post
    The BO uses laundry bluing. She swears by it.
    I use this too....works great but wear dish gloves otherwise your hands and arms are blue for a verrrrrry lonnnnnng time.
    **A Jumper is made on the Flat**

fraservalleywarmbloods@yahoo.ca

I use some kind of shampoo (can't remember the brand, it's in my tack trunk) to get the yellow out of gray human hair that makes my hands, etc. purple. Several washings make white socks white and gray tails gray instead of yellow. But do rinse carefully. Go to any salon frequented by older ladies and they will know what you want, it goes under many brands. :-)
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Can you put it in a tail bag after you get it clean? One of those three tube ones. My BM has a white dressage horse and she keeps his tail in the tube bags, it has whisps on the end so he can get the flys.

Default the never-ending search for the ulitmate whitener/stain remover

Lots of good advice in the previous posts....I am going to try the vinegar....Extreme SnowWhite Shampoo and Quic Silver shampoo have both worked great for me. Full strength, right out of the bottle; rub in and wait 10minutes, rinse (a number of times!) You want to use gloves and I have never had my horse stay purple/blue. I do his entire body, mane and tail. Once dry-at shows, I use ShowSheen or Vetrolin Shine--makes the stains easier to get out in the am, but too many uses dries out his coat/mane/tail. In the cold weather, I have had excellent results with Lucky Braids brand Whitener, sometimes takes multiple treatments but it works sooo much better than Miracle Groom or Greenspot remover.

I think I am going to try this vinegar idea. I will post my results, if anyone has any other comments keep them coming

I am sure this topic has come up many times but when I did a search I found nothing!

Thanks to everyone so far for posting

Vinegar is also good for getting rid of the buildup in your own hair. Pour straight vinegar through your hair after shampooing, leave it in for a minute, rinse and then wash your hair again and condition well.
    EDDIE WOULD GO

if you want it white at bottom then a blue blob a toilet one

put the blue blob in bucket and wait a bit --then take blue blob out
    and put tail in bucket to end of grey bit -- swish it about in warm water in bucket then wash with fairy liquid only need a bit -- rinse and risne and rinse out -- horse has white tail when dry