The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default For the Single Gals here...

hmm so we have threads about wonderful hubbys and SOs...

What about us single gals??...

How do you cope in the horseworld on your own? Do you enjoy your single life?..I myself am looking for my cowboy that will rescue me me from downtown Toronto!! How will I ever find him??..haha..Then I can move closer to my horse..
    Any thoughts, comments, fantasies...

D

I have my eye on a cute red haired groom that I see at horse shows
    flogarty
    "It is difficult not to be unjust to what one loves" Oscar Wilde

hmmm... I perhaps need to go back to my roots and start going to rodeos again.... my barn is all women!!

D

And I know the polo players have a bad rap, but damn those latin guys are so adorable- yep when im sick of the single life look out argentina!!

I deal with the horse world a whole lot better single then I ever did when I was in a relationship...and I was always hooked up with somebody until I was mid 40s, married or whatever.

Far as I am concerned it will snow in Cancun before I ever have to answer that question "why do you have to go to the barn today?" or, "why can't you just go to the show tell them you don't have time, do your round then come right home?" or, my favorite-the ultimatum "would you rather have that horse or me?"
    We all know the answer to that one .

Men tend to be supportive when they are away from you and gone anyway, when they are home they expect you to be there as well and get to resent it when they expect you to cater to them instead of continue the habit you told them you had the first date.

Of course I also have enjoyed picking the car I want and paying somebody to hook up the home theatre so it friggin WORKS when you hit the remote, things you can't do when you have to keep a man happy and thinking he's useful.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Default Phew!

Men tend to be supportive when they are away from you and gone anyway, when they are home they expect you to be there as well and get to resent it when they expect you to cater to them instead of continue the habit you told them you had the first date.

Of course I also have enjoyed picking the car I want and paying somebody to hook up the home theatre so it friggin WORKS when you hit the remote, things you can't do when you have to keep a man happy and thinking he's useful."

Phewee! As a guy, I say "Thank you" for not including us in your future plans.

Having been single for over a year now (had been in 2 long term ones prior), I have to agree the horses & showing is much easier being single. I don't have to worry about how much time I spend at the barn, getting home at a set time, weekends away showing, etc... I don't have to justify costs (even though I have always paid for my horse stuff) or explain why things are needed.

Perhaps I have just dated the wrong guys. I hope to find a guy & have a relationship that works out forever, but for now I am enjoying having "me time".
    "I'm not crazy...my mother had me tested"

When I get sick of being single, I just briefly consider what life would be like dating one of the high-maintenace, metrosexuals I'm constantly encountering whose lives appear to revolve around happy hour and being seen at parties. That usually gets me back in on track with reality.

To answer the question, yes, I enjoy being single. I would also enjoy not being single if I bumped into Mr. Right. I've not met him yet though, nor am I compelled to go looking for him. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn't, no complaints!
    Jer 29: 11-13

Smile

I love single life! I love the freedom to do things "my way", the ability to make plans without having to fit with someone else's schedule, the ability to come home and crash if I want. If I want to help out a friend at a horse show all day, I can do it without (much) guilt.

It also can be overwhelming. I have to do all the maintenance myself (weeds, snow, repairs, improvements). I have to keep a tight schedule (dinners with friends after work have to be early and quick). I have to find a housesitter when I go out of town. Occasionally, I get lonely when I can't find a friend to hang with.

For me, the benefits outweigh the costs by far and I don't expect to be in a committed relationship anytime in the near future (I'm 37).

Sandra

Just a suggestion - DO NOT go into academe, at least in the biomedical sciences. Unless you are a lesbian, but this is a thread for heterosexuals, right?

That's the irony.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Default Well...

Decided my knight in shining armour wasn't coming so I bought the gallant steed. Then, bought the farm and acquired 2 more "gallant" steeds. Now, my knight in shining armour is the older farmer up the road who bush hogs for me and sometimes fixes a bit of fencing. He's my hero! I finally decided I couldn't wait for someone else to help me make my dream come true. It's not quite there yet (and probably never will be completely) but I've made some giant leaps toward it.
    Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Single life? WHAT life?

Job #1 6am to 2:30pm
    2:30pm to 2:45pm drive to barn
    2:45 to 3:45 ride one of the horses, feed
    3:45 to 4 drive home
    Job #2 5pm to 9/10pm (3 or 4 nights a week)

The other days I am at the barn from 2:45 to about 6 or 6:30.

ANy other hours are spent washing clothes, cleaning house or SLEEPING.

This week...Mon Job #1, Doctors Appt, barn
    Tues Job #1, Barn, Job #2
    Wed Job #1, Barn (Farrier coming)
    Thurs Job #1, Barn, Job #2
    Fri Job #1, Barn, Job #2
    Sat BARN - Horse Show, then later help kid get ready to show Sunday
    Sun BARN - Horse Show
    And yes, I'm showing both days.

I did talk to a guy who asked if there was beer at horse shows...maybe that would attract a more um..."diverse" crowd!
    My boys...
    http://community.webshots.com/user/FirstStepBack
    RIP Gem...for you are the greatest...thank you for the inspiration...I will always remember you!
    Gem Twist (1979-2006)

Quote Originally Posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho" View Post
    Just a suggestion - DO NOT go into academe, at least in the biomedical sciences. Unless you are a lesbian, but this is a thread for heterosexuals, right?

That's the irony.
    nah its for everyone!!...haha....

ugh i remember a guy I was dating who was totally non horsey... I was showing at my first A show..I wanted him to be there... He complained how early it was and didint show up till my hack..To make things even more annoying, he brought his loser friend "for company cause horseshows are so boring" and at the packed lunch we brought....AND he brought me crappy drug store flowers ...What the hell am i gonna do with FLOWERS at a horse show..grrr....

Yay for the single horseshow gal!!!

D

Heck! Dressage Geek I was a female in Mechanical Engineering (80% male) and I still had issues finding guys! Apparently they don't like girls that are as smart as them???

I think my riding time (mostly the weekends, sometimes during the week), would surely be cut down if I were in a relationship...don't know how I'd explain going to sleep early on Saturday's and waking up early on Sunday's to be gone all day hunting...the last b/f didn't really understand that!

AC- there are more guys in hunting...but darned if most of them aren't married or currently attached!

On the other hand, now that I have Ted, when a guy seems interested I ask myself, "Is this guy worth skipping Ted Time?" Andsadly, the answer for the past several YEARS has been NO.

And that is as much a comment about the giys as it is about Ted.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

On the other hand, now that I have Ted, when a guy seems interested I ask myself, "Is this guy worth skipping Ted Time?" Andsadly, the answer for the past several YEARS has been NO.

And that is as much a comment about the giys as it is about Ted.
    HEHE same for me, single for a year and a half and get to do what ever I want whenever I want with not one saying "your going to the barn again?" or "your getting up at what godawful hour?" Of course I am still waiting to find my horsey man !

I have decided tha tthe next time i date, he HAS to "get" horses.... No more guys that wince at the sight of poo, or grossed out when you touch his tail. It would be nice to find a man who thinks its funny to leave a muddy, manure trail of foot prints in a coffee shop after an evening at the barn...

D

See?! That's why you have to date someone who has their own hobby and passion. They understand the time you spend and the energy you put into your horse. Personally, I like being single, it's easier. But... I've never been one to go the easy way. So I figure that I hustle and make the time for a guy... I don't expect him to be happy with the scraps of my time that are most convenient for me to give. It's a compromise. And I like the challenge. I figure, give the guy a break for cripes sake! It's not like I'm perfect in OR out of the barn. And I've met a lot of guys that were worth the time and effort it took to get to know them. It's too easy to bash the boys. If I'm not getting along with the guy I'm dating... I don't date him. What's the point of getting all bitter and resentful? That being said, I'm dating 3 very nice men at the moment and it's a crazy juggle, but I do manage to get to the barn 2x a day and have some very fun dates. And before you poo poo my fun time, I do have a full time 60 hr a week job...
    the things that i had not ought to
    i do because i ve gotto
    wotthehell wotthehell

That's the irony.
    DressageGeek-every post I read of yours scares me more and more! =) It makes me wonder if sticking with just my MS would have been a better plan than pursuing a PhD in...eekk....biomedical sciences!

The guys I date tend to be afraid of horses. My ex, Mr. 6'5" ex college linebacker was terrified of my horse. He refused to walk near her and jumped everytime she did something silly. I dont even bother bringing boys to the barn anymore (unless the ask of course...)
    "I can't help but wonder,what would Jimmy Buffett do?"

My horse was afraid of the last guy i brought to the barn....haha

Maybe cause he was wearing a cowboy hat and the horse is in a dressage/eventing barn full of women..haha...my horse is such a fairy.

D
    ~Proud founder of the "Addicted to Lessons" clique~
    ~Ribbon Ho~