The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Default George Morris Horsemastership Training Session

This is way cool, imo.

Our own lauriep will be the Barn Manager for this session (Jan 15-20). Some of the VERY top Juniors (Sloane, Nick, Zazou, Alex, Hardin, Maggie, Maria, Julie) will be heading down, taking care of their own horses, etc., i.e. No grooms, no help from trainers, no help from parents. It includes training/riding sessions with The George, conformation clinic with Dr. Danny Marks, Veterinary sesson with Dr. Tim Ober (loffs him!), Course Design with Steve Stephens, sessions with our lauriep, etc.

Wow - what an experience!

PLUS - sessions are open to auditors at NO CHARGE!!!!
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

I wish I could be down there for that. I have been waiting to hear/see if it was still a go, with all the quarantines, etc in FL recently.

Duffy, are you going to audit? Anyone else going to audit? Any and all feedback would be greatly appreicated!
    www.brydellefarm.com ....developing riders, NOT passengers!
    Member of LNHorsemanshipT & Proud of It Clique
    "What gets me up every morning is realizing how much more there is still to learn." -GHM

So jealous. So very, very jealous.
    Incredible Invisible

What a seriously cool idea!! Remember the threads about how to change the h/j industry to promote horsemanship not just showmanship? This is a great way to start I hope that programs like this catch on and that riders aspire towards participating and mastering all of the skills involved. --Jess

I so WISH I could go!!!!!

I'm sure laurie will do a full report!! (Or she'd better if she knows what's good for her! )
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

Where is this at... Tell!

Default Needless to say, I am very excited!

The riders will each be assigned a "mentor groom" for one day. This person is either a rider (i.e. Beezie) or a top show groom (Trelawny's Viv Munden). They will guide the riders through the first day. After that, the riders must take care of EVERYTHING themselves, no help from parents or trainers. I will supervise and help them, keep things organized and give a couple of mini-lectures on fundamentals such as grooming and bandaging. They will also help GM set the course each day for the next day, and learn he will teach them while doing this, as well.

I think it is a FABULOUS idea, and I hope they will do it as long as GM wants to. I'll do my part again, if asked.

It will be on the showgrounds at Wellington. And before anyone wonders, they have been monitoring the EHV-1 situation VERY closely, and feel that it is contained in the quarantine areas and the showgrounds are ok.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

How would I get onto a list to go to something like that next year? I'd love to get input on my horse's care and my riding all at once from some of the best of the best.
    -Grace

Quote Originally Posted by lauriep View Post
    I think it is a FABULOUS idea, and I hope they will do it as long as GM wants to. I'll do my part again, if asked.
    Hey, if you need some help or if they are looking for volunteers, look no further!
    "What gets me up every morning is realizing how much more there is still to learn." -GHM

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Um, Laurie, do you want to adopt me during that clinic? I'm a hard worker.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrangeOne View Post
    How would I get onto a list to go to something like that next year? I'd love to get input on my horse's care and my riding all at once from some of the best of the best.
    I belive that this was an "invitation only" opportunity. There was criteria (that I am sure someone else can more accurately list than I can) that the juniors/young riders had to meet (like the winner of the xyz medal final, winner of the Young Riders, etc.)

But, I agree with you, I would love to have had the opportunity to participate!!! What a fabulous experience for them!

I hope that someone who either participates, or audits (fantastic that is permitted), will post often here with the details. I would love to follow along from a distance!

I think this is a wonderful thing. I am curious to see how they will do on their own in the horse care dept. There are a lot of kids out there and adults that have no clue on the basics. Someone the other day was telling me they saw an eq class where the judge asked them to untack and retack their horses. Two of the riders had no clue what to do.

I wish I could go and audit, volunteer, be a fly on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by katie16 View Post
    I belive that this was an "invitation only" opportunity. There was criteria (that I am sure someone else can more accurately list than I can) that the juniors/young riders had to meet (like the winner of the xyz medal final, winner of the Young Riders, etc.)

But, I agree with you, I would love to have had the opportunity to participate!!! What a fabulous experience for them!

I hope that someone who either participates, or audits (fantastic that is permitted), will post often here with the details. I would love to follow along from a distance!
    Hah, I gathered as much. I suppose I should have asked what the critera are for selection to attend.
    -Grace

Default Auditing

More info - How can I audit?
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

"Safety is sexy" - Jimmy Fallon
    #mindyourmelon

Get your butt down there, (if it isn't already), and go watch!

This is what I've got that are open to the public:

Tuesday 1/16: 9:15am - GM gives longeing demonstration (main hunter ring)
    Tues 1/16: 10:30 - Mounted session with GM (main hunter ring)
    Tues 1/16: 2:00 - Conformation clinic (blue ribbon club)

Wed 1/17: 9:00 - Mounted session with GM (main hunter ring)
    1:30 - Course Designer session (main hunter ring)

Thursday 1/18: 9:00 - mounted session with GM (main hunter ring)
    2:00 - vet session (main hunter ring)

Friday 1/19: 9:00 - mounted session
    1:30: Build course for final day and lecture with GM (main hunter ring)

Saturday 1/20: 9:00 - mounted session

Has anyone thought about a way to gather and capture this information/experience and make it available to a wider audience?

Also, if it works to expand it - in some form - to a wider group of riders

Default Oh say it isn't so!!

Quote Originally Posted by Showponymom Aefvue Mid Atlantic Division View Post
    Someone the other day was telling me they saw an eq class where the judge asked them to untack and retack their horses. Two of the riders had no clue what to do.
    I know I am naive, but I so, so, so hope this is really rare. WHAT are people thinking when they don't teach young riders proper horse care? I once spoke to a woman who had never picked out a horse's hoof...she didn't know how! I was flabbergasted. I enjoy caring for my horse, and horse care was the first thing I learned as a girl. We were not allowed to have a groom...we caught, groomed, and tacked our own horses, cleaned saddles afterwards and considered ourselves lucky to be riding.

Wow. I sure hope those top riders already know how to put a saddle on their horse!

Default Thinking... Thinking.. Thinking...

So I am actually trying to think of a valid excuse to skip work for a week and go down and audit. I don't think my boss will be sufficiently impressed by me whining "But It's George!"
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

"Safety is sexy" - Jimmy Fallon
    #mindyourmelon

Quote Originally Posted by juststartingout View Post
    Has anyone thought about a way to gather and capture this information/experience and make it available to a wider audience?

Also, if it works to expand it - in some form - to a wider group of riders
    I am sure (and hoping) someone has thought of this. It is being sponsored by Bates, and hosted but the USEF and Stadium Jumping, Inc. As the USHJA video'd their recent judge's clinic and releasing it shortly, I am hoping someone will be doing the same here.

BTW, if any COTH'er are there and are taping, I am happy to pay for a copy and shipping!

Quote Originally Posted by Brydelle Farm View Post
    I am sure (and hoping) someone has thought of this. It is being sponsored by Bates, and hosted but the USEF and Stadium Jumping, Inc. As the USHJA video'd their recent judge's clinic and releasing it shortly, I am hoping someone will be doing the same here.

BTW, if any COTH'er are there and are taping, I am happy to pay for a copy and shipping!
    Me too! Me too!