The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Horsedances View Post
    How far can you come with a trainer who is modest. The US-riders all went to Germany or The Netherlands to train with the big names, and do you really believe these trainers were/are modest. Wake up.

Because I made the music for Kathleen Raine for the Sydney Olympics I watched several trainingsessions of her with Johan Hinneman. Johan is one of the most easy going trainers and a perfect gentleman but I heard several (what you call) harsh remarks.

Furthermore you can put me in any category you want, but the beauty of this board is the "ignore button" . Please tell us something about your credentials and/or backgrounds and maybee I will take your opinion in consideration.

Theo
    Big trainers mostly are modest yes. Some of my credentials etc are available on the net all you have to do is look. You are changing giving remarks on the net and generalising to giving remarks when teaching face to face 2 totally different things.

Quote Originally Posted by dutchmike View Post
    The fact is that some people need to belittle others because of their own insecurities. I have been just about all over the planet and have met a few noboddies like you every where that are quick on the draw critising without being constructive. Like the dutch say "de beste stuurlui staan aan wal" and obviously you fall into that categorie

So my goal had a double purpose: why is nobody telling the truth, while these posters ask for critique, and why are so many horses riding in a wrong frame. Go to the FEI website and see what the ulimate goal of dressage-riding is ?

Theo

Why some Dutch riders don;t want the truth to be told about how they ride?

But you are right about something... the ignore button....you are a no one and there goes my ignore button..

Go to the FEI website and see what the ulimate goal of dressage-riding is ?
    Do you REALLY want to go there, considering what YOUR top riders are doing to follow the directives of the FEI?
    *** 4 More Years ***
    *** 4 More Years ***

The very premise of Theo's question is ridiculous.

Gee, saw a youtube vid, critiqued it, rider didn't like critisism...conclusion = American riders just don't know how to ride in a dressage "frame". Wow. What a leap
    *** 4 More Years ***
    *** 4 More Years ***

Default dutchmike

I checked your profile and man, are you ever cute!

You don't look that thrilled to be on a horse while wearing a skirt though....

Funny Motzart, thats what I thought too, Gee DutchMike sure is cute for a little girl!

Horsedances, I know you'll agree that it's so easy to criticize when you are on the sidelines (NOT RIDING). When you hang around with trainers and judges, you may fall into this trap. It's called talking the walk.

I think Theo made some interesting observation. I have seen more North American riders not riding in collection at levels that requires collection, than other European countries. I think somebody already made a great point about a lot of people in this side of the world come from hunter.

I want to say also is, many horses we ride today, are not bred properly for dressage, and they find it very difficult to collect. Our breeding and devlopment program for dressage horses is still growing and very limited right now. We ride whatever we could, (or the rich people go to Europe to buy horses) and some of the horses have various interesting background (hunter, reiner, jumper... when the horse doesn't fair well in something, let's put him in dressage). Go figure.

In NA dressage, at the local level, many people are stuck at the rock bottom level. You have very little competition pass level 1, and you know everyone in the class, hence you can get away with not doing things properly and still get a ribon. But like I say, we do what we can, and when time/money permits, some of us fly to Europe. This is not to say we don't have good riders/horses. We do, absolutely! But it's about access for the average AA.

Now, not to say all Dutch ride their horses in classical collected form, even at GP level. But that's not the point here, right?

I don't believe we need to be polite in critiques. It's called critique. It's criticisng... not agreeing with each other. It's a very bad habit of this board, people blindly say nice things to each other... doesn't do a thing in my opinion. (What drives me crazy was those 'is my horse suitable for dressage' threads... why ask if you think any horse can do dressage? Gees, there are how many more tests after training, you tell me!) Anyways, the first step to correction is awareness. Correction itself is a great reward, a triumph... if you do things right all the time the first time, what's so fun?

Quote Originally Posted by egontoast View Post
    Horsedances, I know you'll agree that it's so easy to criticize when you are on the sidelines (NOT RIDING). When you hang around with trainers and judges, you may fall into this trap. It's called talking the walk.
    NOT RIDING ANYMORE, like many judges and many trainers today.

But when you watch dressage 18 hours a day you can judge what you see.

And MyReality where were you all that time , because you pointed out very clearly what my observations were.

Theo

MyReality's post 130 begs the question: how expensive was the horse on the youtube video?

The youtube video: were there international competitors in the same test, or are we talking a regional show somewhere in the middle of no where with a backyard type of horse? Because if you're talking hunters, their necks are built horizontally long off the withers, they are not built vertical like dressage horses. Giving a different type of collection to be sure.

Are we comparing rides with dressage-bred horses valued at $250,000 and upwards here -- or not?
    Last edited by sm; Jan. 9, 2007 at 07:12 PM.

[quote=MyReality;2128707]
    I don't believe we need to be polite in critiques. It's called critique. It's criticisng... not agreeing with each other. quote]

It is alway best to be polite. Constructive critisism can be to the point, but delievered with respect.

Critique and disagreement are not the same things.

A well stated critique should let a rider know where they are on the right track and what basics are solid and what they must do to improve and where there are holes in the basics.

Actually I just remembered something that I should have posted instead of all my other posts.

Theo,
    Do you remember the very first time you posted one of your videos here on COTH?

I remember, that someone made some small remark (which was more joking than critisim) and you immediatly took your video off the forum.

So maybe you've spent a little too much time around us Americans????

Quote Originally Posted by Shiaway View Post
    Actually I just remembered something that I should have posted instead of all my other posts.

Theo,
    Do you remember the very first time you posted one of your videos here on COTH?

I remember, that someone made some small remark (which was more joking than critisim) and you immediatly took your video off the forum.

So maybe you've spent a little too much time around us Americans????
    Yes.... because these were Videos from riders who couldn't defend themself, and didn't post the video's themselfs, and didn't ask critique from green grass-riders, but only from the judges.
    But I stop posting about this subject because I really can handle so much stupidity <period>

Theo

Default continuing the Dutch language program

De beste stuurlui staan aan wal: The best steersmen are ashore

Theo, you're losing prospective customers when you lash out at people in public forums.

Theo.I thankyou all the time for the fabulous videos you post for us but I must admit that Im with HardHeadedHannah on this one.I wonder if some of your european customers (youve used some of their names in this discussion) would want you associating them with this argument.Id be keeping my buisness and my own personal opinions very seperate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    I checked your profile and man, are you ever cute!

You don't look that thrilled to be on a horse while wearing a skirt though....
    that is my little daughter

But I stop posting about this subject because I really can handle so much stupidity <period>

Theo
    The stupidity argument! famously used by dictators, mob bosses and thugs to make reference to people who doesn't agree with them.....

Theo,
    I want to appologize. My last post was pretty rude. Seriously, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings or come off so rude. I'm rather young and I can let my mouth get the better of me sometimes.

I also have an old chip on my shoulder because I went to a boarding high school (actually it's a school that comes from a german philosopher) and we had a lot of european students who loved to just rag on the US and our schooling system and claim how much better theirs was (which begs the question--why come to school in the US if it's not as good as your homeland's?). But so this is just an attitude I've been exposed to for a while and so I am a bit extra-sentive to it.

I probably should have just left this thread alone. I have appreciated your videos so I hope my attitude hasn't jepordized your generosity with them.