The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Western or English??

What do you trail ride in? Western or English saddle? or either.... Also do you english and western riders wear a helmeton the trail?
    I ride western as so does the rest of my family. And my son and I wear helmets from the time we start with the horses til the time they are back in the pasture. But my hubby does not. I have gotten a many a strange looks from other "westerns" about the helmet but I make my son wear it and how can I say " do as I say not as I do." It is ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry. If something happens to me because I didn't have a helmet on who will embarass him when he gets to be a teenager?

WW~

I ride in an Australian Stock Saddle It's much better for my bad back and hip.

Default saddle and helmet

Yep Helmet every horse, every time... Saddle is what is most comfortable for horse and rider. I ride in a western/endurance saddle, and most of the trail people ride in western or endurance in our club. we most all wear helmets. Where we ride is very rough, and lots of loose sand and rock. Most folks also use breast collars cause of the amount of hills and ditches we cross.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h8...fennercyn1.jpg

Smile English ...

English ... Trees across the trail are for jumping ! But .. there are very few places to carry gear and stuff.

Helmet, of course.

English.

Helmet most of the time, but to be honest, not ALL of the time. one lady lets us cross her property but only WITH a helmet on. so i imagine i'll be wearing it more often, and probably thanking her for saving my life someday.

western or bareback. If I'm riding bareback I will ride with a helmet. For some reason if I'm riding western I wont!
    * JEWELS *

Ride with a Western Treeless and always wear my English Troxel helmet.
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

English saddle, with oversize trail saddlepad that has pockets in it for the extras.

Helmet everytime. There a motorcyclists' expression that goes something like, "Any brain not smart enough to protect itself in every way might not be worth protecting." I'm not taking any chances!

Western.

Little Red Dun Guest

I always wear a helmet.

I learned English so I always feel a little awkward in a Western saddle. I've only ridden in an Australian saddle a few times, but I liked it a lot.

Default English/western

English. I like the close contact. Have wintecs and they are fabulous for comfort AND grip. However, my youngest horse needed a different saddle. So I have a crosby for him.

Helmet every time. I love the saying above and I'm an NP who when I started in nursing YEARS ago saw way too many head injuries.

I think about the years I rode as a kid, bareback, often barefoot, no helmet... well that gal still lives in me but I need to protect what's left of her

Looks are looks... sometimes it's the helmet, sometimes it's the child on a horse and sometimes..people are just jealous of how wonderful it is to ride as family . Ignore them...

My son uses a helmet skiing too. He's now 17 /250 lb lineman. Wearing a helmet is a must in his sports. I started him young and he doesn't question it.
    Last edited by promlightshine; Jan. 1, 2007 at 08:56 AM. Reason: clarification
    Live life to the fullest-ride a standardbred!!!

I prefer English but it's cause I like the closest contact. When I want to only walk and be comfy I'll go western but not often. Either way there is alway a helmet. That's just pure common sense.

western with a helmet. I find the longer stirrups to be easier on my knees over the long rides. And I do get funny looks with my helmet on, but I feel naked riding without one.
    One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well. - Virginia Woolf

English and always with a helmet. I'm always shocked when I see people without one. I don't just don't even understand the debate.
    Robin

Western with a helmet. It's getting pretty common out here so no one gives me funny looks but I did take a little ribbing at first but now, no one notices.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Currently using a Western saddle.

Always with a helmet. It protects my head from branches even if I don't come off the horse. Nothing bleeds like a head wound!

I use an English or Western saddle, depending on what fits the horse. An old Ammerman barrel saddle on my brick house fat mare, and an English-style Paragon saddle on my racking gelding. And a helmet EVERY time. Every now and then I'm tempted to hop on without it, but then I read something about someone who was killed riding a dead broke horse at a slow walk in a freak accident, and that helmet goes on.

My mother is strictly Western, and she wears her helmet, too. She's the reason I originally started wearing mine, to set the example. She used to try to sneak off without it, but I'd roll her over the coals every time I caught her. Of course, every time I hear one of those horror stories, I pass it on to her, and I think the habit is pretty trained in now. Now, if I could just get her to wear her damned seat belt...
    Last edited by fatmare; Jan. 2, 2007 at 12:04 PM.

Default western/English/helmet

When I was riding primarily English, I always trail rode with an English saddle. When I went back to riding western (due to knee problems --- it was the best way to insure that I didn't do anything like jumping!), I went back to trail riding western like I'd done years before. And ALWAYS with a helmet. I'd feel naked without my helmet when I ride, like going out without my watch on in the morning. I've even gone on big trail rides (Golden Hills, for example) where I was the only person wearing a helmet. Guess I value my brain more than some people do!

Donk

Thumbs up

Bob Marshall Treeless Western saddle. Your horse will love it and so will your seat and knees! Helmet - without a doubt. Who gives a damn what you look like. Furthermore, if you are going with other trail riders, the smart ones will also be wearing a helmet, so you really won't be looking out of place. Happy trails!!

Western, never wear a helmet. I have a cousin that preaches the helmet thing, usually with a pop in one hand, a smoke in the other, and is 40 lbs over weight. No one takes her serious.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.