The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Default Horsey Quilt for Terminally Ill COTH grandbaby- squares still welcome

OK- so we have agreed on 30 9" squares. You can be as creative as you like- iron-ons, sewing, fabric paint, etc- here are the directions:

We need-
    30 Squares
    Backing: White Cotton
    Front: Something horsey or equestrian related
    Size: 9" x 9"

We now have a quilt finisher- Cryslea has graciously offered her time and expertise. I have sent a PM containing the shipping address to the nine people (me included in that) who have volunteered to make squares. We still need 8 more square makers- I am sure the experienced quilters on COTH would be happy to help anyone who is quilting for the first time, as am I, and there are many resources online to help you with your square. Post here or PM me to volunteer to make a square for little Oliver, and I will send you the same PM with instructions and addresses.

Here is doodlebugg's original post in Giveaways:

I ask Erin before I posted~ I just did not want to post it and do something wrong~ Please read this all the way through ~ It is horse related in a LOVING Way~ My daughter Shelly just gave birth to a 1st grand baby Sept 29th a little boy Oliver Justin Small 6 lbs 11 oz 18 inches long. During his delivery something went horribly wrong and he suffered a fractured skull and major brain damage~ Shelly was so looking forward to this baby after losing two late into prior pregency's She has done his room in horse theme with a darling horse moblie ,she had little ridding chaps and boots for him~ She was looking forward to raising him with our two rescues Champ & Chaps~She was really excited about getting the little guy into the horse world~ He has a rocking horse that is just adorable~ We rushed home to Ohio right after his birth to Akron's Childrens hospital and we were told he would never make it off the ventilator,breath on his own,basically be a vegetable~ I sent an e-mail out to all my friends asking for prayer and peace~ He did start over breathing the ventilator and bless his heart is off of the machine, the sad part is there is irreversible major brain damage, he has no brain wave activity nothing above the spinal cord level so they say he will not live to be very old ~ It was human error we were told at the Children's hospital but no matter whose fault it was ,it will never bring him back~ When we went home I spent evenings with him from 9:00 pm until Shelly rested and got there at around 9:00 am.He is so precious and although they say there is not brain wave activity he feels in his own little way~ He is on a feeding tube down his nose, they went in a few weeks ago and repaired a place in his intestines where he had (spelling sorry) paloric stenosis so as that heals they were hoping to teach him to suckle a bottle~ They have just found three holes in his heart and was going to go in and repair the large one, however when they did the brain scan on him again and found still no activity no better results , they said there would be nothing there to tell him to wake up from the surgery~ Little fella if you see him is precious and looks so perfect (I would love for you to see him, go to snapfish.com e-mail address is jskrista@hotmail.com (password happiepup) Click on the album that says Oliver I know he looks like a perfectly healthy angel~ Here is where I wanted to see if we could post something Shelly is devistated, her husband is not being there for her at all (the doctors were not even amused with his demeanier he ask since Oliver was not perfect could they put him to sleep)and she is being the most wonderful mom she can for each and every day the Lord gives her with him~She works in a nursing home but has had to take leave because Oliver can not even afford to catch a cold, he would likely die. Shelly knows that he may be here a day, a week, a month you just never know~ What I was looking for is someone that could quilt, crochet,.something ....I don't know something special to do with the horses so that when he passes away , we would have something special to put in with him~ The COTH members and board are so wonderful and I just can't seem to found that something special searching e-bay and such. I thought some suggestions would be grand and if their is someone out their that could make something special and precious for him to take on his journey to heaven, Shelly would know that he took our love for horses along with him ~ Please if you could let me know I would be so greatfully apperciative. We don't know how long he has to live we just know that he only weighs 8 lbs right now so he is not growing as he should, the doctors have done all that they can and they say when his body gets to the point where it relies on the vital organs more then it will be his time to go~I hope you understand and perhaps someone out there can give Oliver something special to take along with Him. Thank you Jullian

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BTW, I asked Erin before putting this in Off Course- yes it is somewhat off topic, but I believe that the mother would like the quilt to be horsey because she had such big horsey plans for the baby.
    Last edited by Shahrazade; Jan. 11, 2007 at 02:37 AM. Reason: update number
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

-my gelding is a ho clique-

God bless you and your family. Surely if someone could coordinate...tell us the size and how to send it...this could be done.
    Last edited by Hazelnut; Dec. 19, 2006 at 09:20 PM. Reason: to add

I can make a square. My friends and family made a neat baby quilt for my firstborn. It's a hanging decoration now (there are tabs sewn into it) but I can take a phot and post it, if people are interested in how it's made for a pattern of sorts.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

God Bless Oliver. I know nothing of quilting
    I can't offer anything but my prayers and jingles. Those are on the way.
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

If Scotchie would make a small ribbon quilt I could donate some ribbons for it to be made from? Anyone else? let this little guy go to Heaven a winner?

Wish I had more to offer....

I have no crafting skills, but am absolutely devastated by the original post.

Prayers, jingles and love to you, the baby and family.

I will think what I might be able to contribute.

Oh god I have no talents....especially sewing.

Jingles though, Juls

Edited to add:Shahrazade-nice of you to post this. and lordy your name is hard to remember and type(can't figure out how to copy and paste it in the post )
    Slave at the insane aslyum known as Hillyard Farms....

I'm in.

For those with little imagination like me, you can go to the Caring Bridge Web site and they have links to tons of patterns (even horses)that you can choose from. We need to decide on dimensions for the squares to make it easier to assemble though!

I don't know what to say. I have no crafting skills. Is there anything the rest of the COTHERS can do?

I had a collegue loose his 8 month old. I understand the radial pain. To experience it myself. I think I would die.

I mailed out a package for Oliver- a small super soft rattling white stuffed horse with a blue mane and tail and slipper with a horse head on it. A friend of our had a very sick baby that passed on my birthday a few years ago. We were there and it will stick in my mind forever.
    Margaret

I have no needlecraft skills whatsoever, but jingles and prayers to Oliver and his family.

I can help do a square. Let me know what size and background color.
    ---------------------------
    University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2012
    Member of the Asthmatic Riders & "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" cliques

How very sad. I don't really know how to sew, but hope something nice can be put together.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of stars makes me dream." --Vincent Van Gogh

talked wtih my resident quilter.

She makes her baby quilts as a 9" square. The quilt is usually 45" wide (5 squares) and 54" long (6 squares). That would be 30 squares, you can do all of them with a design or just some. Using that layout, she doesn't put a border around the blocks.

She suggested that you can make the blocks smaller or use fewer blocks if you would like a border and strips.
    ---------------------------
    University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2012
    Member of the Asthmatic Riders & "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" cliques

A few of my friends used iron-ons or fabric paint, and one even made little danglies with shrinky-dinks. I love them all for the thought and creativity. You don't need needle-pointing skills to share your love.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

A few of my friends used iron-ons or fabric paint, and one even made little danglies with shrinky-dinks. I love them all for the thought and creativity. You don't need needle-pointing skills to share your love.

ChocoMare mentioned in the Giveaways thread that her mother quilts for the Linus Project- perhaps she could be persuaded to finish out the quilt for Oliver, and give us instructions on square-making?
    "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

-my gelding is a ho clique-

Yes, if someone can just say what size square and where to send it...I could try to make a simple square.

OR should we just agree on nine inch squares and get started.

Still praying for you all!

Oh, poor family, I am so sorry. Kick the father's rear for sheer cussedness, and hug the mommy and grandparents real hard and charge it to me. Let me see what I can do about a square or more. Jingles and prayers.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

I cxan't quilt or sew. But if there IS something I can help with, let me know.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues