The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Can an English rider find Loff with a western rider? (AKA: Where's my cowboy?)

What are my chances of findling true loff with a "true cowboy" out west? No shrinking violet here, tomboy,etc. Montana has some very promising spots...hmmmm...
    OK, so forget the cowboy, but could I make the big move and have a farmette out of my Southern belle realm? Could afford mucho more ACREAGE vs. location now...

Of course, I was just kidding about forgetting the cowboy - that is a huge selling point, huh? Or not? Weigh in if you live there, I'm curious.
    EEEK! Would this be considered the same as a "badge bunny" who leeches on cops & firefighters? A "cowboy bunny"? Just doesn't have the same appeal
    www.savethehorses.org GA Horse Rescue
    [url]

Well, couple questions. Do you want the rodeo world or cowboy world? The first guy has his own business and rodeos and rides for fun and $$$. The cowboy works on a ranch/farm w/ a cow/calf operation and probably doesn't rodeo too much. The AQHA cowboy falls mostly into the former slot- has a business and oddly enough, most of the ones I personally know who do AQHA at it's highest levels are in construction- put in roads, cement, developers etc.

The horse trainers, well they are whole 'nuther thing.

cowboy take me away, fly this girl as high as you can into the wild blue..
    Dixie chicks

Oh, most definitely COWBOY COWBOY! I wanna live out on the range, not on the road to events! I mean, really, are there enough real cowboys to go around? They haven't all been snapped up? Once my Mom is gone, I have no more ties to this area - and no qualms about leaving the "city" life behind - I've always known I belong on a farm, not a suburb or apt. So, this isn't an entirely hypothetical thread...
    [url]

There are some SERIOUS cowboys that the USEF had in there last two mags that I would go for. Seriously attractive. Great horsemen.

Can't help you on the farmette though, never have owned one myself.

YoungFilly: Oh, yeah, I forgot the most important part: good horsemen! Had to ditch the last guy I dated when, upon his first visit to meet my horse (not an easy sell, at that), I made him feed a carrot and he RAN to the truck to disinfect his hands...sent him home on the next plane.
    [url]

One of my closest friends is a Montana cowboy--25, single, cute as a button. Hard worker, talented rider and trainer, smarter than most other people I know. He says that the women his age out near him are mostly buckle bunnies or have divorces and kids. He likes kids and would go that route and all, but I think he prefers to make his own family. I know he is looking for a woman who understands that the animals will always come first. Maybe it's you .
    Lark B
    socialwstudent@gmail.com
    _________

I think the correct term is "buckle bunny" but it really only applies to women who chase cowboys at rodeos. That said, I think a cowboy is an excellent idea. The last guy I dated was a cowboy and he was great: smart, funny, charming, great horseman, easy on the eyes (we went to college together).

The downsides to cowboys (so that you can make an informed decision): they make relatively little money, live in the middle of nowhere, can be ignorant, and can be hard to find! The good ones are out there...maybe you could hold interviews?

Now if you could find a rich rancher's son, you might be set. Things didn't work out with "my" cowboy because his job involves living out in the middle of nowhere for most of the year and *I* want to have a life too. He's still one of my favorite people ever and it makes for some great vacations (http://oregonstate.facebook.com/albu...7b&id=19717655).

Edited to fix picture link

I bet if you googled, you'd find some kind of "Cowboy" dating service on-line.

Speaking of cute Cowboys, what happened to "Cowboy U" ? Haven't seen it on in awhile and boy was that guy cuuute!!
    MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by outwestPoloPlayer View Post
    "buckle bunny"

I have not heard that term in YEARS! And I am (almost) 32!!!! Thats a true term!! Wow!

Cowboys work for the Cowmen, who own the ranch. Both do 'cowboying' the work of ranching. However cowboys are the hired help, not their cows, land or horses. Most cowboys really don't have a lot of money, work horrible hours, taking care of ungrateful animals, have little in possesions beyond a truck and saddle, nice boots. Few prospects of gaining much more either.

Rodeo cowboys are trying to make some money, gain fame, excitement, while traveling and competing. Very few making terrific money. Even those spend much of it to continue competing. They travel ALL the time, as they make the circut of Rodeos, pursuing points and money. Not good for families either.

Cowboying legend is a great myth/story line for picking up women though! They are cute, funny, can be educated and wise in living the cowboy way. They tell the BEST stories and lies!!

However either way of cowboy living is really hard on women and families. If you ladies have a great job, lots of money to support both of you, then you might be happy moving West, finding a cowboy of your own.

For eye candy, fun times, nothing beats a cowboy. Enjoy the fun, just don't expect most of them to stay for very long. There is a reason why movie cowboys rode off into the sunset, not lived happily ever after, at the end of the show. Just so you are not surprised later on.

Not to mention the rodeo cowboys generally are beat up beyond belief..my old farrier was a bull rider..a real sexy cutie pie..till a bull fell over on him and gored him in the spleen, broke his leg and fractured ribs/etc. At age 24 he had to give up the rodeoing and do the horseshoeing..and by age 28..he was having major problems healthwise. Still cute, but I'm twice his age and can still ride a horse, while he had trouble getting out of the pickup truck..

Something to consider with the rodeo cowboys..unless you can handle being worried sick all the time and have income to cover both of you when your cowboy is hurt (and it will happen eventually, very few make it out without some major broken bone somewheres..). Just a thought as I used to run barrels at rodeos and knew a lot of cowboys..they're a tough bunch though, but for a family life - thanks but no thanks.

Don't know about cowboys working on ranches..never met one that had that type of job as the sole job.

I think much of it is romantic, until the 14th load of dirty, muddy laundry when the washer breaks and said cowboy is off in Tulsa at the rodeo while you are left in Omaha trying to figure out how to fix the pipes cause there "ain't no plumbers within 50 miles". I'd try it before I bought it..lol..cause I do run two farms on my own and when my SO is traveling the world - everything falls to me to do..EVERYTHING. Either I hire it done or fix it myself. So there's that aspect to think about as well.

So while cowboys may be for some, for others the romance fades fast. After all it is one thing to see it in pictures and a whole nuther thing to live it.

Some guy would have a wife and kids but "animals will always come first"???????? Methinks this one is destined to remain single!!!

"Husband, I am sick and need to go to the hospital, could you drive me and watch the kids while I'm ill?"

"Dammit woman, drive yourself and take the kids. You know I have to check the fences today..."

Well, I'm going to second the ranchers son idea. On the other hand, if you want a guy who's a hard worker, not afraid of commitment and very family oriented... try a farmer! Sod Buster, for all you Westerners/Lonesome Dove fans. My family are all dairy farmers in upstate NY and VT. Of course I have 5 uncles so one of them does the farm (actually my cousin now) and the rest all work in my other uncle's construction company. A nicer group of well read, caring, strong individuals you will never meet. I have LOTS of single, cute as pie cousins... oh, and a farm has plenty of room for horses! Of course you'd have to work, because farming is not really a rich man's game. My Grandma was a teacher and found it to be a perfect marriage of horses, land, 7 kids and a purdy nice guy.
    the things that i had not ought to
    i do because i ve gotto
    wotthehell wotthehell

Have you SEEN true cowboys? With most of them, you take away the hat and the horse, and you're not left with much.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog View Post
    Some guy would have a wife and kids but "animals will always come first"???????? Methinks this one is destined to remain single!!!
    I don't think so. This is not rare in the horse world, why would it be rare in the cowboy world? If the horses need something, he will make sure it happens before he takes care of himself or another human. How many times have we all eaten Ramen for a month to make it possible for a horse to get a treatment it needs? That's all I's saying. He will do that before he takes his family to dinner and a movie, and he will stay as late as he has to in order to care for those animals. All good cowpeople are like this, IMO.
    Lark B
    socialwstudent@gmail.com
    _________

I'm just saying that's not what I want in a man... an animal to come before me or my kids. That's ridiculous and I think you'd have to have some self esteem problems to get involved with someone like that. Now, I understand sacrifices for the good of the family and all that, but if a sacrifice is not going to result in things being better for the family... like, if it would put more food on the table or more family time to get rid of some animals, a real man should be able to make that decision for his family. Otherwise he's a coward, and a jerk.

But I guess if a lady likes herself being lower on the totem pole than a cow, that's her business. To subject kids to a man that places the critters before his children is just not fair.
    If "all good cowpeople" are like that, maybe they should marry cows.

GEEZ....I'm wore out on cowboys...... YIKES..I hear the word, see the clothes, I admire---then run!!

I had that same attraction.....most are irresponsible, selfish, vain, not very kind to horses, WAY different ideas about horse care (feed), messy......

BUT, they are fun to dance with, (most I have heard and experianced==have short comings in the romance department---some of the same reasons as above...like selfish, vain---and QUICK!! LOL

Okay, grant it I have only met, known of Arizona Cowboys---and one Montanna Cowboy. (not having romance with all of them---my romance card has very few notches on it) but, I still have some single girlfriends who seem to not give up on cowboys and still end up with heart ache. I have one in particular who spends on the money THEY have on rodeos (Roping to be exact), he rarely goes to work (farrier---but he gets $275-360) for shoes!!!! never has any money---she just put $15k in to fixing his new truck that he blew the engine in.......he never cleans up after himself---and they have only been together about 7 monthS!!! This is like #15 for her....same old story.

SO.....with my past and seeing some of my poor girlfriends go through what they are going through---just dance with the cowboys. LOL

There are a few nice cowboys---but, those seem to marry when they are 17!!!! So, if there is a single cowboy in his 30's.... beware!

OF course, I'm not meaning to generalize, but here in AZ.....they are naughty....and of course that is some of the attraction. LOL!!

My hubby is a cowboy----but, not really. He started that cowboy immage before he moved to AZ.....he was in love with the cowboy haritage....and he sure looked SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo good dressed like that. But, he doesn't have the cowboy menatality. He is a sweet heart---that is why we are still married.
    *Better to have loved than to have never loved at all.*
    ALWAYS Blessings NEVER losses.

I think that is why so many of them are single.

I'm just saying that's not what I want in a man... an animal to come before me or my kids. That's ridiculous and I think you'd have to have some self esteem problems to get involved with someone like that. Now, I understand sacrifices for the good of the family and all that, but if a sacrifice is not going to result in things being better for the family... like, if it would put more food on the table or more family time to get rid of some animals, a real man should be able to make that decision for his family. Otherwise he's a coward, and a jerk.

But I guess if a lady likes herself being lower on the totem pole than a cow, that's her business. To subject kids to a man that places the critters before his children is just not fair.
    I think maybe you are misunderstanding what I'm saying. I think you can still have the animals as your priority and have a good family life. I'm not saying that he (or anyreasonable cowboy) would choose to take the horse to the vet hospital instead of taking the kid to the ER if he were put in such a situation. I'm saying that as his bread and butter and as creatures that depend on us in their domesticated state to care for them, he is likely to miss a few school plays, you know?
    Lark B
    socialwstudent@gmail.com
    _________