The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

The mare i lease did that very samething last year except her owner was riding her! It was horrible, she was a mess for about a month afterword and hurt her hind end pretty badly! I had to go out and take her for walks a couple times a day to keep her from colicing...it was awful so jingles to you both!
    ~*Little Miss Sunshine*~
    aka Superfreak, Sammie, Samantha, and The Pants

Default a word of caution

After you have established that there is nothing wrong with the horse, and are ready to continue working him, I would suggest that abanding the side reins is not fixing the problem. I have seen a horse thow itself over with a rider on, because they took a light contact. If the horse is reacting to contact in the side reins, it is likely to react to contact when the rider asks for it. It can be safer to deal with the problem on the ground.

However, it is not uncommon for horses to panic if they feel confined by the side reins and the contact. One way to mitigate this is to take the contact on only one rein, with a little suppling bend so the horse always feels that it has somewhere to go ( through the outside shoulder). Once it is comfortable with the contact you can start to add the outside rein. You can do this from the ground, working both sides until the horse is relaxed and comfortable. Then you can try it mounted.

good luck

Use side reins only at trot, otherwise the natural movement of the head and neck at walk and canter will be prevented and can cause problems. With the OP:s horse, skip side reins altogether. And OP - if you're able to ride with a light contact now, why would you want to "progress" to more contact later? It sounds completely unneccessary. The lighter the contact, the more comfortable for the horse.

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

I don't like sidereins either. I use a chambon. It encourages a horse to stretch, but forces nothing and allows movement in all directions. I was happy to see the price has come way down. I always made my own, but now they are under $30.00 at Dover.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie's mom View Post
    You know, the arabian training theory gets a lot of heat but the one thing we DON'T do is put a green horse in two solid side reins EVER.
    What's "arabian training theory"?
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Default MY side reins

have always had elastic or a donut. That said I am working with a young horse now. He is quite good, However he flipped on the husband a week ago, because the husband was off balance and took too big a hold, he threw himself off balance threw his head up and went over, well not all the way over more on his butt. It is scary!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Wow--this just happened to a teenage I know. Had the horse in side reins, he spooked or something and got his head/neck all tangled and ended up flipping over. The teenager (I believe) broke her leg/pelvis and is now on bedrest for the rest of the summer. You're very lucky you were not hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by dylans_mom View Post
    Wow--this just happened to a teenage I know. Had the horse in side reins, he spooked or something and got his head/neck all tangled and ended up flipping over. The teenager (I believe) broke her leg/pelvis and is now on bedrest for the rest of the summer. You're very lucky you were not hurt.
    Was she RIDING with sidereins? How did she break her leg??????
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Default hmm

i've known some people to attach sidereins with little loops of baling twine, so they break more easily. the downside, of course, is that the horse could learn that they break TOO easily. (i know that some do the same thing with crossties. i don't use crossties; i think they are a dumb idea and can't be madae better by making them easy to break.)

as far as one side rein shorter-sometimes i do it and sometimes not. klimke indeed instructed that the inside should be shorter, with no qualification that it was for advanced handlers and horses either. see p. 109 of basic training of the young horse. otoh, some top trainers are appalled at the very idea.(dekunffy, for one, i think. not sure.)

as far as op's horse goes-if you ever plan to sell this horse, you probably shouldthink about fixing his aversion to sidereins. because if he moves on, someone is going to try to lunge him, and hurt him or themselves.

if this is your forever horse then it doesn't matter as much-although no one can fortell the future, and if he someday needs a new owner, this hole in his training might be a problem.

what a scary thing to happen!

Never ever ride a horse in side reins. They are used for ground training purposes only. It is amazing that more people don't get hurt with horses. There are sooooo many that do not have a clue.

I'd suggest you ditch the side reins.

I personally never use them at all on a horse until I'm 110% certain they're balanced and have learnt to engage. So this means only on older schooled horses that is already well balance and doing work properly collected.

He's just 6 and IME youngsters or those which might not be fit can be harmed by cantering with sidereins.

Young horses tend to go on the forehand and they must stretch their topline and begin to engage through the hind hind legs, and then relax and lift their backs. Only then will they carry their front ends in a more elevated fashion.

IME it doesn't make any sense at all to ride with side reins. It totally defeats the object of the rider having contact and communication and it does nothing to improve the horse or the rider's ability to communicate through the reins.

There's several reasons why this accident could have happened and including :

incorrect adjustment of the side reins and in particular if they're too tight - and IME this is all too common a problem and I'd say I've seen more wrongly adjusted that correctly in my life time.

pain - either teeth or back

Has anyone noticed the date of the original post? I can't understand why this old (old old old) thread was dredged up.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Whoops no I never!

I so hate it when folks resurrect ancient postings for no reason!!!

Ah well the horse will be older and trained by now
    Last edited by Thomas_1; Jul. 18, 2007 at 10:29 AM.

it is a panic RXN.
    they don't want to be restricted and horses are stupid- hence the throwing themselves on the ground.

the only horses I have had do this were as*holes. but they are few and far between.
    My one [very very nice] mare went up but she was very uneducated and it was the first time she showed resistance intraining. When she hit the ground I stood there and looked at her like she was a dumbas*. she was embarassed and never did it again.

and when they stop and show resistance (if they give you time to process what is about to happen) you really have to attack that QUICK to avoid something stupid like rearing.

don't feel bad. with animals that we have domesticated stuff happens. we live and learn, as do they.

try a neck stretcher/bungie instead.
    you just need to find what works for each individual.
    I believe lunging is a must. especially for dressage/jumping horses.
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

Again, I want to point out there are breakaway side reins

Tack in the Box

elastic and non-elastic

Very nice to use, only break under extreme stress. http://secure.tackinthebox.com/catal...25d3f68dc1efaf

Would avoid the potential situations mentioned above.

NOTE THAT CONNIE (of TITB) HAS HAD A VERY BAD YEAR, she is getting back on her feet after her husband's death. Please be patient with orders.

These sidereins feature a unique velcro breakaway "link" designed to tear apart under sufficient stress. If you haven’t witnessed your horse fall on the lunge and try to get up with his foot stuck through the siderein, you just haven’t been treated to one of life’s little adrenaline rushes! These sidereins give me great peace of mind, knowing that they will tear away before my horse’s jaw breaks. Once Twinkle Toes has regained his feet and composure, you have only to reattach the two sides of the "broken" siderein and go on with the lesson. The attachment of the Tear-Free tabs is strong enough to put up with normal horse rough-housing, but makes a link just weak enough to give way when it’s important.

Hi,I'm so sorry.It is scary to see things like that especially when it is your horse.I have maybe a few ideas that my trainer gave me.1st before you even put side reins on does your horse soften? She had me take both sides of the horses mouth softly with both reins and ask her to lower her head and give.2nd -practice this walking also she had me take both reins-the outside rein is over the mane and you have independent reins the inside rein must be shorter obviously and ask the horse to walk and halt and turn both ways and see how they adjust with the contact from the ground and you give with your elbows as you are doing it.It is hard and akward at first but it seemed to work and help my Trakehner mare who is very sensitive.
    Also where did you have the side reins attached to.Some other poster suggested to put them higher on the surcingle and this is not correct.I made the same mistake and my trainer gave me **** for it.She said to put the reins just above the girth not on any ring!!!!The rings are used for upper level horses that are used to collection and more contact.My trainer is very good with the babies and I trust her.I am a lower level trainer and not as experienced as her so it's nice to have someone to go to.Sometimes I feel stupid asking but what the heck you know.hope this helps you