The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Removed

Last edited by NOMIOMI1; Aug. 10, 2007 at 05:06 PM.

She's cute. There's a stretch of video ~ 39 seconds in, where it looks like she's doing one tempi changes. She's not, but she's got that new little skip to her canter.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

Half of the video is the filly galloping around with her tail in the air - any horse looks pretty darn fancy when they are higher than a kite!

maybe take a look at her, and another video, when she is relaxed and in a more normal frame of mind. Then you can see her honest gaits, and what they might look like under saddle, since she is only 2.

you can't tell much from galloping!

this would be an inappropriate horse for you to buy.

Agree with Gucci - it is IMPOSSIBLE to tell how this horse really moves. There is not one second of that video where she is relaxed.

If I had to make an assessment based only on this video, it would be that she is one hot tamale and NOT an amateur's horse.

Quote Originally Posted by slc2 View Post
    this would be an inappropriate horse for you to buy.
    ditto. Not for you or me.

Well, she's fast. I sure wouldn't want to get on her or buy her based on this video. She may have great gaits underneath all that spice, but her temperment (if this is it) is not for me.

Sandra

Halfway through the video I was wondering if there was a reason the video didn't show her trot...and then it appeared for two seconds.

Her canter work is quite nice, but she's not that fancy a mover at the trot. Plus the head and tail straight up in the air aren't good signs unless you're a really patient and well-schooled rider.

Default .

Last edited by NOMIOMI1; Aug. 10, 2007 at 05:06 PM.

Well, she seems to think quite highly of herself!

That pogo canter is ... interesting.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Quote Originally Posted by Gucci Cowgirl View Post
    Half of the video is the filly galloping around with her tail in the air - any horse looks pretty darn fancy when they are higher than a kite!

maybe take a look at her, and another video, when she is relaxed and in a more normal frame of mind. Then you can see her honest gaits, and what they might look like under saddle, since she is only 2.

you can't tell much from galloping!
    dto.. She is a very nice Horse, would love to see her when she┬┤s started u.s. with ~4. The asking price is absolute OK.

This is why I hate videos of horses going at liberty (even young ones), and would much rather see the horse go in some type of controlled atmosphere...jogging in hand or a few minutes of proper lungeing. She is so busy stargazing and acting like a dork that you really can't tell ANYTHING about her. She is so tense and jazzed up she is stiff legged all the way around. She's cute to look at but it is very hard to see anything else.

Don't care what her pedigree is. Don't like her one bit. Don't like her temperament, don't like how she moves, trot or canter... she doesn't use her back, she jumps up and down. Flashy looking though... and actually well put together. Asking an untrained young horse to jump around an arena, is NOT the way to present a horse... I would be very surprised if the seller is a professional... remember if you're talking FEI prospect, you are selling to professionals.

Badly balanced

This is an Arabian, right? I think maybe many dressage professionals would not choose this breed as their future FEI horse. Not saying that some don't make it to FEI, but it's not that easy for many of them because of conformational challenges.

This particular film of her doesn't show anything on which to make much of a judgement about her potential. Hopping around cross cantering mostly. A video of her more relaxed, perhaps in hand on the triangle would be better. Also some conformation shots might be helpful if you really want opinions.

I am confused, why are you looking at such different horses? What are your goals then?

You are a very novice rider, try to focus your funds on one well schooled older horse with rideable gaits and lots of lessons which will get you much further in riding.

BOING BOING BOING
    Seriously, with that head and tail up so high, can you imagine? I realize she's at liberty, but I would suspect based on this (agreed) small video that she will be difficult to get round and through.
    Not an amateurs horse at all, although you state that's not an issue. If I were investing money for someone else to ride I still would say no.
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

Even if there were things you liked about this horse (I like nothing, myself) and if she were an appropriate choice for you (which I believe she isn't), that horrible lateral canter is reason enough to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by rebecca yount View Post
    This is an Arabian, right? I think maybe many dressage professionals would not choose this breed as their future FEI horse. Not saying that some don't make it to FEI, but it's not that easy for many of them because of conformational challenges.
    what part of her makes her look arabian? what do you see as her conformational challenges? it says she is a dutch warmblood.

Oh my!, It is absoluteley fanominal how many of you folks have no clue of horses, how they move and act, how they socialize or show themselves off. It amazes me how any of you that responded to this video have NO CLUE. The best way to look at a horse is when they are in their "free state". It tells you everything you need to know, if you would take the time to LOOK AND OBSERVE. So many of you are caught up in what you think a horse should be. You are stuck in your "dressage frame of mind". For the most of u it is about CONTROL, that is why you guys dis-like this mare. Because the most of u could not handle her, or know what to do to make her a nice dressage horse. That is what she could be, a nice dressage prospect. FEI, maybe, maybe not. The price, well, you either have it or u don't. Horses are only worth what someone will pay for them.
    This horse is a two year old. She does not track up, why, because she is stiff all thru her back. Why, because her head is stuck up and out. She is stiff thru her whole body because she is a two year old and has no clue what a "dressage" horse should look like. Her hocks move nicely, powerful hind end, she has a nice shoulder, nice short back, needs to stretch out some but she is only two and needs to learn self carriage. Nice pasterns. I would think about it, for sure. Honestly, if you are looking for a prospect, work with your trainer. Stay away from these boards, these people know so very little. Best wishes, she is a nice prospect if you like her.