The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Sleeping in trailer tack rooms?

Just curious since I've been wondering about this and someone mentioned it in the cost savings thread.

Is it generally acceptable to sleep in your trailer tack room at an event? Now I don't have a big fancy gooseneck, just a regular slant load tackroom. But, I've measured and a cot will fit in there. It's nearly as big as the walk in closet I lived in in grad school anyway.

Is this totally Ghetto, or do people do it? I used to kayak all the time and would sleep in the back of my truck for a week at a time. I promise to bring my sun shower...

Are there events where this is illegal?

Just trying to learn protocall...

It seems to be quite common!

I know someone who brought her horse to somebody else's farm for a week-- there was a perfectly good guest bedroom in the house that was available to her, but she chose her gooseneck.

I used to do a lot of overnights at shows and I have a 2 horse straight load and what my mom and I would do (because my tack room is crammed) is put up cots in the horse area. We cleaned it (obviously) and put down a tarp, put the folding camp cots in the back with matresses on them. The walls were wiped down and it was cozy in the back. There is room for your cooler to be a bed stand and what not. Worked very well...

We do it! I shacked up with Jeannette this past spring, and anticipate doing it again this spring. I'm also not above pitching a tent outside of our trailer and crashing on the ground.Thus it's really great when facilities have showers on grounds...
    "Cynicism is a sorry kind of wisdom" Barack Obama

I have spent upwards of 2 weeks living out of my tackroom. A lot of eventers do it. I have an adage, you can tell the level of the rider by what they live in at a competition. The upper level riders (at least the amateurs) seem to live in ghettos (since they are spending all of their money to show). Went to 3 World Cup Qualifier events this past year and I swear the majority of riders camped.

I put a power inverter in my trailer so I can have tunes and TV. I have an arctic sleeping bag for those cold locals, and a Sun Shower to wash. Of course it sometimes is easier to beg showers from those with living quarter trailers by bringing a six-pack of their favorite beer. I have a gooseneck so I put some camping matresses up top and sleep up there. I also have an indoor rated propane heater for the cold mornings. It is great!

Reed
    Last edited by RAyers; Dec. 15, 2006 at 10:58 PM.

I do it as a WS when my trainer and I take the babies to their first few shows (usually dressage shows) and it's just the two of us. Saves us hotel costs and we can keep a closer eye on the young'uns.
    http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ncer/?start=20

Mares are like neutrons. If there are too many in an area, you approach critical mass. And then there are explosions. Loud ones.

Thumbs up

I'm always on a budget, so I sleep in my trailer at shows. I have a 2 horse straight load w/ a dressing room that extends under the mangers for saddle racks. Conveniently, it is the exact shape/size of a full size inflatable mattress! I just move the tack to the horse area, and sleep in the dressing room. Since I'm usually nervous the night before showing and don't sleep well, we bring an inverter so we can have lights to read or listen to music/audio books. I might bring a small TV next time, great idea...

It seems fairly common though-- there were even several people sleeping in tents at the HT we went to a few months ago. It would be nice to have living quarters, but it works out okay in the dressing room. Plus, my hubby likes camping, so it is kind of like we're doing something he likes too when we go to an overnight show/event!

so is it free to do this?

you dont have to pay any fee's?

At events the camping areas are typically packed full of people camping in their trailers...most places charge a small fee per night if you want a camping space (if they have them which the bigger facilities typically do)...normally around 25/night and you get a power hook up and water. We just have a slant load gooseneck so used extension cords so we could have heaters if cold and lights. Some facilties also have showers available which makes it nice.
    I think if you didn't want power you could just stay in the trailer in the parking area although I would check with the event facility first

like Reed, I have an artic sleeping bag - just zip myself into it in my gooseneck on the fullbed VERY HARD (which I LOVE) mattress and I'm just fine. Have to have music, which plain old batteries and the CD player provide, reading by flashlight is no problem...I never event in the summer, though I did volunteer at the AREAIII championships last year in the beyond-sweltering daytime heat and we had LOVELY cool evenings...yes, I slept in my trailer! Poplar Place Farm has the very best bathrooms - WON-DeR-FUL hot shower with real tile and mirrors in the shower room. There's a lot of money to save staying in my trailer that I can use on the horses, PLUS its comfortable and fun!!!
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

ummm, we sleep in a tent. A trailer tackroom would be a serious upgrade for us.

We have a 2 horse BP with a small (not big enough for a matress) tack room, so we clean out the trailer and sleep in the back. We always have sleeping bags, even in the summer. It may be because I sleep well anywhere, but in a way it's kind of cozy. We've never come across a facility that minds us sleeping in the trailer. It really does save a lot of money, and I have to agree that it is somewhat fun.

Quote Originally Posted by octavian_jazz View Post
    We've never come across a facility that minds us sleeping in the trailer.

Pebble Beach in the 80s. . .They were quite unpleasant.

The Coleman Hot Water on Demand shower unit is great. It runs on propane and a small battery. I got mine at the Coleman Outlet store for $105.00 at one of their sales. There is an older thread in the Endurance-Trail Riding section about "outfitting a trailer" and there are a lot of excellent tips in that thread.

Exclamation

[FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=4]I used to do it in a two horse with no dressing room , and even slept in the stall atRadnor, I seem to recall someone sleeping in a tent ; you do what you have to do to "get it done !"[/SIZE][/FONT]
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Trailer?!? For the first two years I evented with my current horse, I'd sleep across the bench seat of the pickup. (Seemed cleaner and better smelling than putting down a sleeping bag in the actual trailer.) It sucked b/c you're kind of on an angle, the seatbelt is poking you in the back, and you have zero privacy once the sun comes up. But, hey, it was free!

But, I have to say, a mutual friend of RAyers and mine surely must qualify as the QUEEN of trailer camping. She's got a GN stock trailer (no separate tack room) and she turns that thing from horse hauler to deluxe camper in 10 minutes flat.

After the horses are unloaded, she mucks it out, sweeps the clean shavings to the back and stacks grain, hay, etc. back there, moves the partition to separate off that horse stuff at the very back of the trailer, then puts down rugs (seriously!) cots, linens, a camp stove, lights (she's got reams of extension cord), music, lawn chairs, coolers ... heck, at the last event we went to together, she'd even upgraded her sun shower by purchasing a "shower tent" -- about 2x2 feet and 7 feet tall, that you hang the sunshower inside so you can get nekkid and actually SHOWER.

Super comfy to live in at shows, and super impressive how quickly she converts it from one use to the other!
    I evented just for the Halibut.

I guess I am the sissy, after years of sleeping in the tack area, I finaly got the cutting torch and Welder out an butchered my trailer.
    Now I do not shower in the horse compartment I have a real shower with its own potty, I got a mayor fridge, holds 217 cans of beer and a steak, a stereo that makes the roof pop up and down, it leaks now, gotta do something about the leaking, stove, sink and a nice comfy bed.
    Its so much nicer now.
    Anybody need a cutting torch lesson ??
    That I have no use for them, does not mean, that I don't know them and don't know how to use them.
    Caveman extraordinair

Reed: What make and model is your indoor propane heater?

We have a lovely gooseneck LQ trailer. Unfortunately hubby shows as well -except in western events. So we have to share the good trailer. The other is a gooseneck stock trailer. I put a foam mattress in the bunk and there is enough room for the dog and I. (I did get a bit claustrophic when a friend and I and the dog were up there. ) I move all my tack back to the horse compartment as the "tack" room is tiny but it is enough room to sleep and keep my clothes.

I've even had friends stay in the back of our LQ trailer. Way cheaper than 2 hotel rooms. We had the LQ bed, one person on the table that folds down to a bed, left the door open to the horse compartment and had 4 people sleep back there. We cleaned out the trailer, swept it, put down some Stall Dry (to cut the smell), laid tarps down, then foam mattresses and then their sleeping bags. 7 people slept really well.

Have only had one place want $5 a night when we sleep in our trailers. Lots of people up here in Alberta and BC do it.

Nancy!

I know a lot of people who sleep in trailers or tents at events (and I'm not talking about the big, fancy trailers). I have a two-horse straightload, andn two teenagers have slept in it several times. There's room for two cots (which are pretty expensive at Walmart) or you can put down an air mattress. If you don't have a fully enclosed trailer, do contemplate what will happen in heavy rain.

Whoo Hoo - Great news for my budget! I love camping anyway!

I was thinking of putting up one of those camping hammocks in my tack room (or the back) anyone tried that tactic?

Also, how far of a drive before you stay over vs. commute?

For showers, can you just put on a bikini and go to the waterhose (sorry -it's the kayaker in me) or would shampooing at the waterhose be an issue?

Thanks!