The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950

I can't think of any terrible horse related gifts. I don't get as many of those as you'd think. The worst gift in general, however, was Proactiv, from my then-fiance's grandma.

Yes, I have acne (and all the scarring that comes with it), but it's a subject I'm sensitive about--and I'd already tried that stuff before and it didn't work! It's just an incredibly insensitive gift to give someone you don't know very well. It must run in the family, because when I was playing with the Wii and making my Mii, then-fiance asked why I didn't pick the freckles option.

...BECAUSE THOSE AREN'T FRECKLES, YOU BUTTNUGGET.

1 members found this post helpful.

That's really crappy Beau!
    I can't think of one for myself. I'm sure there's something that I've blocked from memory.
    As for other family members... The first Christmas in their new house, my dad gave my mom chair casters. Because they needed them. Another year he gave her an iron because she wanted a new one (but not as a gift). I think she threw it at his head. It's no wonder that as soon as I was old enough, Dad put me in charge of picking out her gifts.
    You are what you dare.

Perhaps your grandmother thinks you should stop at one kid and has given you the means to prevent any further pregnancies???? No further contraception needed lol...

This is addressed to Superminon...who I was trying to quote and somehow screwed up...still not used to the new system!
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau_Justice View Post
    I can't think of any terrible horse related gifts. I don't get as many of those as you'd think. The worst gift in general, however, was Proactiv, from my then-fiance's grandma.

Yes, I have acne (and all the scarring that comes with it), but it's a subject I'm sensitive about--and I'd already tried that stuff before and it didn't work! It's just an incredibly insensitive gift to give someone you don't know very well. It must run in the family, because when I was playing with the Wii and making my Mii, then-fiance asked why I didn't pick the freckles option.

...BECAUSE THOSE AREN'T FRECKLES, YOU BUTTNUGGET.
    then fiance?

as in ex?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Perhaps your grandmother thinks you should stop at one kid and has given you the means to prevent any further pregnancies???? No further contraception needed lol...

This is addressed to Superminon...who I was trying to quote and somehow screwed up...still not used to the new system!
    I just snorked Pepsi! I never thought of it that way. Although if you ask DH he'll tell you that the memory of DD's birth was burned in his brain. After she was born, and they handed her over, I looked at him and his eyes were all watery. I was touched, "Awwwww honey, it's okay to cry!" I said. "I'm not crying," he replied "I'm just trying really hard not to throw up."

Bless his heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    then fiance?

as in ex?
    Oh yes. I ran away from that one (for other reasons). Still friendly with the guy, he's just...

...not very bright, socially speaking?

ETA: I'm now seeing acne product ads on the sidebar. Siiiiigh. Hahaha.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau_Justice View Post
    Oh yes. I ran away from that one (for other reasons). Still friendly with the guy, he's just...

...not very bright, socially speaking?

ETA: I'm now seeing acne product ads on the sidebar. Siiiiigh. Hahaha.

(ad block!)
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

My memory is shot -- I don't think I mentioned this before, but I'm too lazy to search for my previous posts...

My MIL's taste is all in her mouth. I'm a graphic designer/illustrator, so she thinks I'll love gifts of "art."

For our wedding present, she went to a supposed Native American art sale and bought a truly heinous painting of buffalo running with a woman in the sky blowing -- "This represents the wind," she informed me. I love and greatly respect true Native American art -- this does not qualify.

Later, she gave us a huge finger painting she did as a child -- judging from the colors, I would hate to speculate on the medium she used. I don't want to sound like I don't appreciate the sentimental value, but this thing is unbelievably ugly, and we'd much rather think of her in other ways. We could never get rid of it, of course... but hey, how many people hang "art" in their closets?
    Last edited by susanne; Dec. 15, 2012 at 04:36 AM.
    They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth

We hang the "art" my SIL gave us 2 years ago - a horrible personalized thing from Current, the stationery people, behind some books. When SIL is due to visit, we pull it out and actually put it where people can see it. Once she's gone, back into hiding it goes.

It's a sickeningly "precious" horsey painting, and it's bad. Unfortunately my SIL's tastes lean towards sickeningly precious.

We got one! A classic example of "it's not the gift that counts, it's the lack of thought behind it!"

My mom and my stepdad got married when his kids were grown and out of the house, but they've always clashed with my mother and have never gotten her a present. Well, lo and behold, we all gathered at the house today and one of them had a gift box. Inside was a clearly used jewelry box (the little one it comes in), with the padding taken out. Inside that was an oversized costume necklace with a giant pendent on a thick, gaudy chain. In a heap, not laid out. With the chain tangled. And the plastic sticky price tag that folds in half on cheap jewelry part way torn off and the rest sticking to the chain. They handed the whole thing to my mother just like that, unwrapped.

<><

Your poor mom, how did she manage that? I have no poker face.

That's when you reply "Awww, you shouldn't have."

Really, you shouldn't have.

I feel terrible even saying this, but a good friend always gives me used stuff for Christmas. And I can't even say it was the thought that counts, because it's always broken, generic stuff. This year I got a used candle holder with old wax mushed up in it, a decoration that was broken, and some used teddy bears.

These are not poor people. And honestly, it doesn't really bother me too much, but it's just a means to me donating their goodwill stuff for them. But geez.

I usually give them something meaningful to their life, and presents for their kids, and maybe cookies.

A few months before this years wedding anniversary I had seen a lovely abstract art of a horse. The colors and something about it just spoke me. I showed it to DH.

I month before our anniversary I told DH I just wanted a card and to go out to a nice place for dinner. Nothing else just take me out somewhere very nice.

I get home from work and DH has not only not made plans for supper but has this ugly as sin painting for me. It is abstract of a horse. To me it looks like the horse is in pain and is on fire. hate it, hate it.

I didn't hold back and told him I hated it and he was to take it back and get his money back. That is when he told me that he had asked one of the ladies he works with to paint it. She had painted two and he picked the one he liked best and he could not take it back.

We had a long talk about the last time he had got me art (when we where dating). I told him at that time, not to buy me art unless I am with him and say that is the one I want. I do believe that this time he heard me, as he was to find a place for that ugly thing that I will not ever see it again.

This year he was looking at food processors and a little older lady told him that is not what you get your wife for Christmas she will not be happy to something like that. He just smiled and said my wife will be over the moon. I walked up and he side "Sorry hon, you will see what you are getting but it is the last one and I am not leaving it." I was very happy with it.
    Are you going to cowboy up or lie there and BLEED?