The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Sell the watch (check with jewellers before you eBay, you just might get a better price due to all the fakes on eBay) and buy something useful and horse-related. I once had a sorta pricey gift from an ex that I really couldn't stand to be reminded of, so I sold it, and because I found I still considered the money tainted, and would forever consider anything I bought with the money tainted, donated it to an animal shelter.

Yak Trax *rule* and everyone, "hiker type" or not who lives where there are ice storms should have a pair.

Worst horsey ("horsey") gift I ever got was one of those cheesey laser-etched glass blocks that sits on a little light stand of some sort. From my BIL.

My FIL always gives me a PetSmart/Stateline or Dover gift card, though.

Quote Originally Posted by FridayzFortune View Post
    well they're not horsey, but.....

last year my aunt bought my brother Yak Trax (ok ok it wasn't MY worst present, but my family still laughs about this present a year later, so I had to metion it). For those of you who are unfortunately not familiar with this wonderful invention, yak traxs are these rubber things with metal (or something) on the bottom that you put on the bottom of your shoes. They are supposed to help you grip the ground when it's icey, but they go up over the sides of your shoes so you can see them.....and the ones my brother got were BRIGHT green. Maybe for someone who is into hiking and outdoors this would be a suitable gift, but for a typical frat guy...not so much.
    Yak Trax are on my bestest gift list. I love those things when it is icey. Granted mine are black but still what is fashion when you are sitting on you backside.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSTB View Post
    So she gets everyone simple but nice gifts- kids got toys, I got some very nice warm barn gloves and hat/scarf etc, sister gets a nice winter vest, hubby gets.... a pair of tube socks. One pair. Do they sell one pair anywhere??? I felt so bad for him
    Ok, not horsey at all, but now I HAVE to chime in.

After my parents got a divorce, we spent a Christmas at my mother's parents' house. I was 2, my sister was 6. These are good people, they raised three kids of their own. We had identical stacks of gifts, and as we worked our way down everything was identical--if she got a red sweater, I got a red sweater. If she got a book, I got a book. Well, at the bottom of this pile are two HUGE boxes, one for her, one for me. I opened mine first, and it was a giant, fuzzy, wonderful teddy bear. Apparently I squealed. Well, now my sister was all sorts of excited because she thought she was getting one too. She opened her box and looked in and saw... socks. Dozens and dozens of pairs of socks. She was devastated, and our mother was LIVID. Apparently she gave our grandmother a piece of her mind.

This story is part of family lore, and rightly so. 23 years later, it comes up every year during the holidays. At least once. And we never, EVER, buy anyone socks. Ever.
    Lark B
    socialwstudent@gmail.com
    _________

for my 17th birthday, my dad gave me a razor (no, not the phone... I guess he thought I needed to shave) That's it. Just a razor

For christmas one year I got stolen hotel shampoo and conditioner.

Methinks my family is trying to tell me something about my hygiene??? Maybe its because I spend every day at the barn... I swear I shower every night!
    "My shopping list is getting long but I will add the marshmallows right below the napalm." -Weighaton

The hotel shampoo made me laugh. Sounds like something my maternal grandmother would give.

She once gave me a man's tie that she bought at a yardsale and a note that said, "all the girls in Florida are wearing them." I guess she didn't know it was part of the uniform for women who work at Bennigans, or perhaps she did.

That same year my mother got a bottle of Summer's Eve Douche and Miss Clairol Haircolor and a note that said "Now I've taken care of both ends, enjoy."

The presents from my grandmother were the most anticipated gifts every Christmas. I miss them terribly. Opening the box was always a shock at first and then utterly hysterical.

My Grandmother is the absolute worst present buyer that there ever was! She has the resources to get great gift but I guess she just has no clue. Anyways one of the worst things she ever got me was this giant gold horse medallion on a big elaboratly braided rope. I swear the medallion was like like 7 or 8 inches across. It looked like something a rapper would wear. I have no idea what I was supposed to do with it. Wear it I guess but it must have weighed 10 pounds.

The worst present she ever got was for my mom. It was a coat and I don't even know how to describe it and nothing I can say can do it justice. It was like purpley pink suede and randomly scattered over the jacket was tufts of sheepsking and then there was some random railroad track type stitching. My sister and I joked that it looked like a sheep that had been attacked by a wolf. My dad to this day still tells people about the hideousness of this jacket. The worst part was when she gave it to my mom, my grandma said, "When I saw this It just reminded me of you!" Oh really it reminded you of a half skinned sheep? HAHAHA!

I've gotten:

1. an ugly brown vest with cow spots painted in puffy paint. Carefully hand crafted by someone my Aunt played bridge with. And apparently this was because I loved horses.

2. A butt ugly scarf, purportedly from the SRS, but I suspect it was actually from the airport. At least a scarf from the SRS would have accurate pictures of horses on it. I hope.

The best gift (not an Xmas gift, but all the same)... The box of used books my grandmother bought me when I was about 8. It had copies of International Velvet, The Five Circles (about the Canadian eventing team in the 50's), and a stack novels from the UK all with Pony Club and Show Jumping themes. I think I still have the entire contents of that box on my bookshelf .
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

My grandmother used to give us soap for Christmas....bars of soap, literally. Every year from ages 3-7, soap.

A few years ago, I wanted to surprise my (now ex) boyfriend with a present he had been dying for. I quit my job a few weeks before Christmas and I told him I wouldn't be able to get him anything. Little did he know I was working my butt off at the barn to get him this expensive present....so Christmas day rolled around, and I guess since I had told him I couldn't get him anything, he decided that meant he didn't need to get anything for me either. I was a little disappointed when I gave him this incredible present and got absolutely nothing in return. I guess I brought it on myself?

I've never gotten a bad horse present, though. Not yet anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirakel View Post
    My grandmother used to give us soap for Christmas....bars of soap, literally. Every year from ages 3-7, soap.
    Brilliant!

Sucks about your lame ass boyfriend but

Rancid Yak cheese had to be the worst. It had insects crawling around in the package. My MIL (bless her heart, she would love to receive yak cheese, rancid or not) had been to Tibet in May and bought the cheese, then kept it in the closet until Christmas. Next time I draw her name for Christmas, I'm giving her a yak through Heifer International www.Heifer.org.

Then there was the year I received 2 Circular saws. I had done a project earlier that year that involved sawing a couple 2x4's. Or the storage shed kit, which would be great if wasn't still a kit after 4 years and I'm not allowed to build it myself or have it built because that is part of the present.

Worst horse gifts, I suppose the 3 identical pair of horse earrings from 3 different people, and the obligatory White Stallion in the Moonlight sweatshirt. But at least there was only one of those, and I passed it on to a little girl who thought it was the coolest thing ever!

My worst Christmas was when my husband and I exchanged our gifts before we went out of town. On Christmas a.m. everyone in the extended family opened the stockings I had filled, opened presents from my husband and me and exchanged presents with each other. I didn't even have a candy cane or a new chap stick in my stocking. No gifts under the tree. Guess that told me where I stood.

My worst Christmas present ever...I was in Little Rock Arkansas visiting my Aunt with my Mom and Grandmother. We got up one morning and they wanted to take us (me, my 2 year old and 1 year old) to this "super cool" warehouse store that they just loved. Sure, I'm game.

So..on the way there I ask "What kind of stuff do they sell?" I'm thinking merchindise closeouts, cool stuff...you know. My mom proudly declares "You know those figurines they sell at truck stops? This is the warehouse and you get stuff like that really cheap...like $1 or $2 dollars!"

Oh, crap. I should have known. So we go to the truck stop figurine warehouse which is catogrized in aisles like tigers, unicorns, cowboys, ect. They spend 3 hours there while I am trying to keep my 1 and 2 year old from not breaking every crappy figurine in the store.

So...I finally go out to sit in the car. I had had enough. When my grandma, aunt and mom come out they are beaming....uh oh. In the car they have this 3 foot tall Santa holding a violin. They then proceeded to brag about how it was the last one and they practically wrestled it away from someone who wanted it for their daughter because she plays the violin. The thing was hidious. They paid $50 for it. Good for them I thought...it was ugly and creepy.

Then they proudly declared that it was MY christmas present. WTF?? Please God No! But it was. Never mind that I flew out and had to take that huge Santa back on the plane. And I was stuck with it forever. Once I exchanged a present she bought for my son (a bike for a 8 year old when he was 3) and I have never heard the end of it!

So...I take violin playing santa from the truck stop trinket warehouse home. It is motion activated and every time you walk buy it the violin starts. The kids were terrified of it. They would start wailing whenever it went off.

We had it for 3 years when my German Shepherd from hell decided to eat it! I was so excited to come home and see violin santa's legs chewed off! I was finally able to toss it!

I mean they couldn't have bought me some truck stop figurines with horses?

My family is insane.
    "I'm an idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way."

1 members found this post helpful.

I guess the worst two offenders are my husband and my father.

My father insists on getting me a "grinch" thing for x-mas, one year a stuffed toy, and the next a stocking, etc, and I just absolutely hate the damned thing! It's truely a hideous creature, but to top it off, my dad keeps calling me his grinch! OUCH! I guess that says alot.

My husband is just downright clueless about what a good gift is, and for our first x-mas together, he got me a broom. Most years he just hasn't bothered to get me anything. This year I got smart, got the gift for myself and told him it was his gift to me.
    Spruce Hill Farm

Member/co-founder of the boot to the head clique. Got air?! Member of the Asthmatic Riders Clique.

Wow, these stories are great.

The only bad gift experience I can really share is when my dad's ex MIL (who constantly bragged about how rich she and her husband were...) gave every one a "Snake Lamp" for Christmas that year. Mine caught on fire the very first time I used it... I think it was an omen as to how my dad's marriage to these people's psycho daughter was going to end up.

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

Advice for those of you who have husbands/boyfriends that buy you completely useless/thoughtless gifts....you will always be a victim of their poorly-thought out giving unless you SPEAK UP AND TELL THEM EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT!!! I used to be polite about it, but the wheelbarrow for Mother's Day was the last straw.

Granted, it is a nice wheelbarrow, but I would rather have gone out for brunch. And I don't like getting plants or flowers either, but they were a popular choice until I said "please don't get me plants or flowers anymore".

Now that I have 5 kids and he "helps" them buy me stuff, I have had to be very specific. This year for Christmas I would like some vintage xmas movies, new slippers, winter riding boots Size 7.5, and a large framed print of any Scrooge looking out the window realizing he hasn't missed Christmas.

An SO long ago gave me ....ONLY......the book "King Of The Wind"...book is good, but the ONLY gift?????? I wasn't there long after that...

My first XMas with my now DH (we'd known each other a month) he gave me the best presents ever!!!!
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

I make sure to provide Mr. Kestrel with my Wish List, complete with web sites or photos of requested items. He usually gets something that isn't on the list.

deep in the CT wilds near...the 200yr flood zone

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Sell the watch... take the money, buy ANOTHER glorious item that you will actually use (splurge on a fancy saddle??) and enjoy it knowing that you're better off with your own self-determination and horse than with a sleezebag guy.
    Well said! And like someone else mentioned, if the sale money still feels tainted, donate it to something that'll make _you_ feel good. CANTER? TRF? I'm partial to OTTBs, since I own one but there are numerous others out there, that might be just the ticket to expunge any lingering bad karma from what he did. Makes me mad he made you buy it too. Doesn't have the time to do it himself, but can call you and give you his CC#? Grrr. What? Because he was with her, and couldn't let her know what he was doing?? *blowing out cool breath* Let all the negative baggage that guy brought into your life go, and him along with it. Be content to know he'll reap what he sowed, and it'll come back to him tenfold.

Now back onto topic. Not horsey, but the worst X-mas gifts ever received has to go to my BIL and DH from my mom. One year she gave my BIL, who has a full beard, aftershave. We're all watching as he opens the box, and can't believe it. She wasn't there, so after the initial awkward silence, we all busted up laughing. DH is up next and gets this big heavy terrycloth spa robe. Hood and everything. Weighed like twenty pounds. Guy _never_ wears a robe. Showers, gets dressed, goes out hunting. Or chops wood. Or crawls under the truck and works on the engine. Yeah, he's the type who'd be lying around getting a facial. Next year, we're all anticipating a good laugh from Mom's presents. BIL got slippers. They were nice too, deerskin lined with shearling. He puts them on, one fit, and the other looks like a flipper. Everyone's busting up. _How_ could she have possibly thought this is okay?? Then I had an epiphany. Grabbed DH's gift and tossed it to him. Yep. There were the mates. They fit both of them. Of course, neither of them actually _wear_ slippers. DH's got stuffed in the closet...under the robe.

Every year my Nana gives my brothers gift cards to LL Bean or Cabela's... for $50+. Every year I get a subscription to Guideposts. Which, for all of you unenlightened folks out there, is like Readers Digest for an older, more devoutly Xian gramma. I've moved SEVERAL times and they keep getting my d*mned address! Can Dover find me? No. Stateline? No. But Guideposts? Yes.

Also, this same Nana gave me a powder blue sweatshirt, size XL (I was maybe a med at the time), had powder blue, sateen flower and horses appliqued to the front along with many a decorative seed "pearl", sequin and fake lace. That's right folks. Fake lace, as in rubber.
    the things that i had not ought to
    i do because i ve gotto
    wotthehell wotthehell

Default In laws!

While I love my in laws, they think anything horsie(like I'm 12!) is okay to give.
    One year, they did the old fart bus tour through KY. They stopped at Churchill Downs. Well, being that I'm into horsies, I must LOVE pics of them!
    So, I get for Christmas 5 home made framed pics of Secretariat. Which kinda wouldn't be that bad except they were in crooked cheap homemade oak frames with bright pink crooked matting! They thought that would look good with a red horse.
    I broke them out whenever they arrived and promptly put them back in the closet when they left.

My sister and I have a tacky gift contest.. each trying to 'out-tacky' the other. Just last night when dressing for party I came across the moose-dropping earrings she gave me one year.

Yup. Moose-dropping earrings. She won that year. No, I haven't worn them.