The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Unhappy Am I losing my mind or are horse buyers going wacky???

We have a TB stallion for sale....offered as a breeding horse. He is sound, broken for racing, but unraced due to breeder's/owner's choice...no health or soundness issues. He has produced some lovely foals for us, but changes in our lives have made us want to downsize.

In the past two months that he has been advertised I have had SIX people tell me to "consider him sold" despite the fact that not one has come to see him...or ever got around to sending money!! I currently have one woman who wants him and is trying to come up with money for purchase and shipping. She has my contract, but has not send a deposit...therefore not sold IMO.

Five days ago a woman calls...talks for 90 minutes about the horse...says "her client" found him on line and wants him. Calls the next day...says they "really" want him. Rave about all the attributes he has that they are looking for. Asks for a vet reference in our area. 1 am Friday morning I get a text message telling me they have an appointment to have him vetted at 12 noon Monday!! I reply...after my breakfast...who/where is this vet?? No reply, so I Google the name and the vet is FOUR hours from here...not near her either. She calls this morning and tells me "they will meet us at the clinic for the vetting"!!

Am I crazy to think this is CRAZY??? They have never seen the horse... I have no deposit...and they expect me to haul the horse 4 or 8 hours to a vet...and plan to do extensive x rays, scoping, etc....as in for a riding/show horse...not just a "health check" for a proven stallion!!
    Is this any sort of "normal" these days.?

ps. It ain't gonna happen, but just wondering if I am the crazy one!!
    Last edited by crosscreeksh; Dec. 5, 2015 at 11:13 PM. Reason: spacing
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

6 members found this post helpful.

No question about it! That's wacky.
    There must be a vet closer by that could perform the PPE. Good luck with your sale.

2 members found this post helpful.

Is your stallion a black stallion? It is Christmas time+ black stallion= exactly what every twelve year old should get, right??

37 members found this post helpful.

Crazy. They wouldn't be getting an hour of trailering out of me without at least $500 for my trouble. (I was going to say the purchase price, but hey--that's why there's a vetting, they're not committed yet.)
    That's fine, many of us have slid down this slippery slope and became very happy (and broke) doing it. We may not have a retirement, but we have memories ...

OK, ignorant question so please don't be offended --

Since you are offering for sale a proven stallion as a sire prospect for a new owner, why are you offering him on the open market? I would think you would have other reputable and knowledgeable breeders beating down your door to get this hot stud (and I mean that in a complimentary way ).

I don't have all that many friends who keep their own stallions at stud, but I think if any of them were to offer their stallion for sale they wouldn't have to post him online; it would be done by word of mouth among people they know.
    RoanPonyMare

13 members found this post helpful.

I've seen "consider him sold" as well "What's the lowest price you will sell him for?"

What did you tell the "buyer?" That is insane!

I think people are insane in general. I made a request for a specific piece of information from someone, not a professional but in a semi professional capacity wrt this information. 15 pieces of paper dancing around the subject and no direct response. All I need is one piece of paper generated at the time of sale with the settlement information and it isn't in there anywhere. I have pictures of each room with junk in it, before and after. That's nice. WE SOLD IT. THE IRS WANTS TO KNOW.

So no, it doesn't surprise me one bit that someone is "buying" your horse with no money forthcoming. Whoever it is, they are probably 12. They have a Breyer farm. Mail a Breyer horse to the vet. Tell them if they want a real, live horse they can put down a non-refundable deposit of 10% of the purchase price for him to show up at a vet 4 hours drive from his home farm. Maroons.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

15 members found this post helpful.

Well if you have every sold Breyers or anything else for that matter some buyers are just flaky! LOL

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by crosscreeksh View Post
    I have no deposit...and they expect me to haul the horse 4 or 8 hours to a vet...and plan to do extensive x rays, scoping, etc....as in for a riding/show horse...not just a "health check" for a proven stallion!!
    I'm with OTTB, no hauling without $$ up front for your time, effort, wear and tear on the tow vehicle.

Would be interesting to call that vet to "confirm" the appointment and see if you can get a read from their end.
    Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.

Anatole France

9 members found this post helpful.

Honestly, I'm not surprised. First of all, the internet is a playground for window shoppers with lots of time on their hands. A beautiful "stallion" is exactly what every ignorant horse loving crazy person or 15 year old kid desperately wants. So you've got that strike against you. (If said stallion has a long mane or is of an interesting color you are completely hosed.)

Secondly, a TB breeding stallion, with no show record and no race record is going to have a limited market, though this could vary by area. I love TBs, but sadly, in my area, a beautifully conformed, respectably bred TB stallion with a race record or a show record would be very difficult to sell as a breeding animal because it could never bring in enough in stud fees to pay for its keep. A beautiful animal with a lack of commercial appeal is a set up for a lot of inquiries from impractical people.

BTW, dealing with bizarre inquiries is just the name of the game in horse sales in this day and age. Because of the internet, texting, emails, etc. people feel completely at home wasting your time. Many people also do a terrible job of sorting through all the ads out there and figuring out what would and wouldn't be appropriate for them. I miss the days of putting ads in the local paper, getting a few calls, and then showing the horse to a suitable, serious buyer or two and then making a sale.

4 members found this post helpful.

Yes, people are crazy and horse people are crazier than average, but without seeing your ad I suspect you are getting a crazier cross section than average.

Who wants a stallion with no race or competition record? The (maybe very small group of) people who are familiar with his existing progeny and idiots. If your ad is bringing in random people who are not familiar with the horse already, I'd expect most of them to be loons

14 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    So no, it doesn't surprise me one bit that someone is "buying" your horse with no money forthcoming. Whoever it is, they are probably 12. They have a Breyer farm. Mail a Breyer horse to the vet. Tell them if they want a real, live horse they can put down a non-refundable deposit of 10% of the purchase price for him to show up at a vet 4 hours drive from his home farm. Maroons.
    Love this! Buying or selling always seems to bring out the weirdos. I've talked to people on the phone, they decide they want to meet my pony, arrange at time, then never show. I don't care if they change their mind after we've talked, just please text me so I'm not stuck waiting!

For some reason asking you to take your stallion four hours for a vet check sounds fishy to me. Even if they did put down a deposit I wouldn't do it.
    In memory of Apache, who loved to play. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjZAqeg7HyE

You should probably count yourself lucky they didn't come! Being idiots doesn't improve them with personal contact. We also tried selling a stallion, nicely bred, would put size and movement on foals, but not bred popularly for showing. Working horse himself on a ranch, producing working foals who could also jump or drive.

Paper advertising back then, and the fruits and nuts came by the truckload. Most just wanted their picture taken sitting on him, some wanted to play mind games (who I said "Just LEAVE NOW!' to) and other stallions wackos. He was a nice horse, seal-bay that looked black, tall and had presence.

I got sick of the weirdos coming, sending them away, hearing how I should save him for them (no money in hand) so I didn't advertise anymore, and we had him gelded. About the time I started calling him 'My Horse' a friend sent a man over to look at horse. Man REALLY liked him, knew how to ride and handle a good horse, purchased him.

But the selling process took over a year, with work on my part to try finding buyer who would be able to use him without being afraid of him. Horse ended in a nice place, guy still had him years later as his Track Pony Horse. Said he was the best horse ever for that job, not afraid of any colts, moved big to hustle them along and stay out of trouble. Horse could intimidate with non-verbal signals, NO ONE gave horse a bad time leading. Man kept horse with him at his rental houses in a private paddock when not working at the track.

I sure feel for you trying to sell your stallion. As mentioned, the market for him is very small. Sure hope he goes to a nice place. You might want to consider gelding him if you can't get any takers on a stallion. He might be able to then be a performance horse, see a bigger world than the breeding shed, have a good life.

Quote Originally Posted by EllieDVM View Post
    No question about it! That's wacky.
    There must be a vet closer by that could perform the PPE. Good luck with your sale.
    Thanks everyone for your positive comments!! I hesitated making this post thinking after 50 years as a pro I was just not "with it" any more!!
    I'll try to answer most of your questions...
    Yes...there is an extremely good vet (people ship in from 4 states away for his soundness advice) 12 miles from here...$38 farm call...able to do ANYTHING they want checked. He has never seen/treated this horse except to pass him at the driveway or see him standing in his stall. Doesn't the law/ethics prevent him from being biased...regardless?? I gave the woman numbers for two local vets...then get a message telling me of her appointment. I had to Google the name of the clinic to even find out where it is. (She is in Ft. Worth, Tx. Clinic is near OK City...so not even close to her!!) At the least 4 hours there - ??? time for exam - 4 hours home...horse on or sold we're talking a longggg day!!

I won't get into details, but there IS real interest in him as a stallion for racing and/or showing due to pedigree, size, quality, movement, produce record and PRICE!! One potential buyer has had him appraised. We have several other serious clients waiting for funds, etc. This one just "popped" up. One warning sign I got was in the lengthy, first chat..."he'll be my new Derby horse" as well as our breeding stallion!!" THAT is why they were going for such a thorough vetting!! It wasn't the vetting that got me...it was the distance to the vet and the rude assumption that WE would ship him all that way with no deposit or commitments... or expenses paid!!

RPM...we are located in "Cowboy/barrel racing/Yahoo country". I have spoken to a couple of vets about him...Both said they had NO clients they would recommend as "satisfactory" homes!! We sell ALL of our horses out of this area for that reason!! If it doesn't barrel race or chase cows it isn't of interest and the horse care in this area is despicable....I'd put a horse down before I sell to "almost" anyone I've met here in the past ten years. Our FB page and one public site are the only places I have advertised.

This morning I sent her a message...I thought of posting it public, but didn't...telling her we were NOT going to sell her the horse under any circumstances....and why!! This "agent" according to her FB info is only 23 years old and seems to have found herself in a cushy, "important" job with starie eyed clients who maybe have no clue about proper/polite, horse buying procedure. No matter...we don't HAVE to sell the horse!! A good buyer will come along!! One with $$ and manners!!
    Thanks for all your comments!!
    Last edited by crosscreeksh; Dec. 6, 2015 at 03:29 PM. Reason: spacing
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

12 members found this post helpful.

Where I come from, NUTHIN' gets on the trailer until paid in full and the check clears--NO BLINKIN' WAY. Until that point, you don't have a "deal." The option of PPE etc. is theirs.

Frankly, if anyone I wasn't good friends with was trying to get me to take the horse short of that point, I'd be wondering why and giving them all the fish-eye.

5 members found this post helpful.

Some buyers are crazy. Some buyers are awesome. Seems like very few fall in the middle!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    Where I come from, NUTHIN' gets on the trailer until paid in full and the check clears--NO BLINKIN' WAY. Until that point, you don't have a "deal." The option of PPE etc. is theirs.

Frankly, if anyone I wasn't good friends with was trying to get me to take the horse short of that point, I'd be wondering why and giving them all the fish-eye.
    THIS has always been our policy. Not pros, not nice people with cute little girls. That way no one feels we singled them out!!

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    Some buyers are crazy. Some buyers are awesome. Seems like very few fall in the middle!
    Absolutely!! I've sold a ton of horses to very distant homes in the past ten years that we've been in Oklahoma. A few vetted, but no one has ever asked me to ship a horse 4 hours to vet!! For free....and no deposit/payment!!

Years ago when we were in Southern Pines, NC. a friend allowed a VERY fancy pony to go on trial and be vetted in the next state. The driver pulling the trailer made a sharp, high speed turn onto a highway and threw the pony down and when he went to rise, he came up under the stall petition breaking his back. Pony didn't die, but became a severely crippled pasture ornament. Buyers fought the owners in court to avoid payment of the pony and prevailed!! Seller/owners got NOTHING but big vet bills and a pony who eventually died!! Another reason nothing leaves the farm until paid in full!!

Have you tried to sell this stallion before? I seem to remember a similar thread..I'm sure you must know that you won't be selling an unraced TB stallion to any reputable TB racing breeder.

A TB "breeding stallion" advertised for sale on the internet is going to get you pretty much what you have experienced , the clueless, and those who are "trying to come up with the money". Neither of which will be a good home for your horse and both of which are only 2 reasons why people don't try to sell "breeding stallions" on the internet.
    If you don't need to sell him then keep him off the public market if you don't want to deal with the clueless. If you want to sell him then geld him first? Or is he not well trained under saddle or rideable?

The definition of "breeding stallion" in this day and age (amongst the clueless) is an entire horse that has had no training. Not that yours is , but you are advertising in an area that you admit is lacking in folks with horse sense. Which does beg the question..why are you trying to sell a TB stallion? Is he a great hunter? A proven jumper? What does he do? Find the people who know his successful offspring and see if there is any interest.
    If you offer a "breeding stallion" for sale to the general public then you can't complain when the crazy comes calling.

11 members found this post helpful.

Yeah, buyers are definately difficult. I had one call me the other day, say they wanted the horse, were hooking on their trailer and leaving 'right now' and would be bringing cash and would see me in a couple hours...and they never showed.