The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Default American horses slaughtered in Mexico and Canada

Warning...Contains extremely graphic and disturbing footage.

http://www.hsus2.org/specials/mexico-horses-2.wmv

HSUS Press Release December 5, 2006.

Exclusive Video Showing American Horses Slaughtered in Barbaric Ways Across U.S. Borders

Legislation in Congress to Ban Horse Slaughter Would Halt Shipment of Live Horses to Canada and Mexico for Slaughter

WASHINGTON (December 5, 2006) – The Humane Society of the United States today released exclusive video obtained by its undercover investigators that reveals the brutal slaughter of American horses at a Mexican slaughterhouse in Juarez.

In addition, one slaughterhouse official, whose operation supplies 95 percent of company lunchrooms in and around Juarez, told HSUS investigators the carcasses of these animals are being flavored with beef and served to unwitting factory workers.

These findings were part of an investigation completed last month by The HSUS that documents the abuses of American horses caught in a slaughter pipeline that kills nearly 100,000 horses a year at three plants in this country – two in Texas and one in Illinois -- and thousands more at plants in Mexico and Canada. Legislation passed in the House and pending in the Senate would put an end to the slaughter of American horses – either in the United States or in Canada or Mexico. The HSUS argued today that the release of this shocking footage adds to the urgency for Senate action to halt this inhumane killing.

The HSUS is also releasing a December 4, 2006 letter from more than a quarter of the Senate to Senate Majority Leader Frist and Senate Minority Leader Reid urging them to support the immediate passage of The American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act. The Senate bill, S. 1915, sponsored by Sen. John Ensign (R-Nev.) and Mary Landrieu (D-La.), would prohibit the slaughter of horses in the United States as well as the export of American horses for slaughter for human consumption. It has a bipartisan roster of 34 Senate co-sponsors. The House of Representatives approved identical legislation, H.R. 503, in September by an overwhelming vote of 263 to 146.

"We invite the foreign-owned horse slaughter industry and its supporters to view this footage with us in a public forum and then try and justify their claims that shipping American horses all across North America and across our borders for slaughter is a ‘humane form of euthanasia’ and is ‘for their own good.’ This appalling and tremendously saddening footage shows that the slaughter industry’s argument is ludicrous on its face,” said Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of The HSUS. “This is a barbaric and inhumane industry, and further delays in Congress in securing final passage of the legislation translate into untold suffering and misery for American horses in transport and slaughter.”

HSUS investigators crisscrossed the United States and traversed the Canadian and Mexican borders to chronicle the process by which horses wind up at slaughterhouses. From auctions to remote feedlots to the interstate highways across which “killer-buyers” transport the horses, HSUS investigators documented cruelty, abuse, and on the kill floor in Juarez, a shocking method of slaughter.

In Juarez, where thousands of American horses are currently exported for slaughter each year, investigators found that workers kill the animals before first rendering them unconscious. Instead, the horses are “stunned” by stabbing them several times with a short dagger in an attempt to sever the spinal cord, leaving them paralyzed and unable to breath, but still sensible to pain as they are hoisted up by a chain and their necks slit. The puntilla or boning knife practice is considered inhumane by both supporters and opponents of horse slaughter and is banned in this country by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

“Proponents of horse slaughter use the canard that if slaughter is banned in the U.S. the horses will endure even worse abuse in foreign slaughterhouses,” said Chris Heyde, deputy legislative director for the Society of Animal Protective Legislation. “But thousands of American horses are being butchered in Canada and Mexico, and the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act has unambiguous provisions to stop the live export of these animals, putting an end to the killing of American horses here in the United States or just over the border in Canada or Mexico.”

According to figures from the U.S. Department of Agriculture as of mid-November, some 90,000 horses have been slaughtered at the three foreign-owned slaughterhouses in this country so far this year. In addition, more than 19,000 horses have been exported to Canada for slaughter and another 8,500 to Mexico.
    www.horse-protection.org

No Horses to Slaughter Clique

I'm sure this has already been answered before, but if the bill goes through, does that mean horses cant be exported for slaughter? Because if exportation will still be legal, I'd much rather keep the option of sending them to a US slaughterhouse that kills them humanely than risking sending them over the boarder. That method (the knife in the spinal cord, and bleeding them out) is just disgusting.

Eventer13,

Yes, the bill will outlaw the export of horses to both Canada and Mexico for slaughter.

Currently thousands of horses are crossing the borders each year to be slaughtered inhumanely in these two countries. Whats worse, we are now aware that one of the Texas plants has nearly completed a new slaughter plant in Mexico, meaning that even MORE American horses will be brutally slaughtered should this bill not pass.

Gail
    www.horse-protection.org

I really, honestly, don't know how they will suceed in securing the borders that well, especially to Mexico.

How hard is Dekalb to pronounce? Seriously....

I've said it before. I would like to see caring people get involved and make the system better rather than pursuing the ban and all of its implications. If horse people could step up and change the horse slaughter systems like Temple Grandin has stepped in and changed the cattle slaughter systems, I think that would go a lot further in helping horses.

~Adrienne

Makes me want to be a vegitarian.

Humans....we have really messed things up in this world.

What has happened to respect----gosh, I could go on, but my heart is just aching.

God forgive us.
    *Better to have loved than to have never loved at all.*
    ALWAYS Blessings NEVER losses.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventer13 View Post
    I'm sure this has already been answered before, but if the bill goes through, does that mean horses cant be exported for slaughter? Because if exportation will still be legal, I'd much rather keep the option of sending them to a US slaughterhouse that kills them humanely than risking sending them over the boarder. That method (the knife in the spinal cord, and bleeding them out) is just disgusting.
    Exactly.
    RIP Bo, the real Appassionato
    5/5/84-7/12/08

Abrant,

It is very difficult to export horses for slaughter or any other purpose to Mexico. Securing the borders is NOT an issue at all.

As far as making horse slaughter more humane....it is simply not do-able.
    The horse slaughter industry is on its way out in this country for many reasons, and there will never be enough overseas demand to support the dozens of slaughter plants it would take to ensure humane transport in this VAST country of ours.
    www.horse-protection.org

Quote Originally Posted by onthebit12000 View Post
    Abrant,

It is very difficult to export horses for slaughter or any other purpose to Mexico. Securing the borders is NOT an issue at all.
    Sorry if I don't believe you. In my line of work, I interact with tons of mostly illegal immigrants. It's still *easy* for them to get across the border and get fake papers and work. I've talked with them about how easy it is. This is a HUGE national political issues and it's not anywhere close to resolved. Are horses going to be a higher priority?

Sure, you can't not make a law because it might be broken... but you shouldn't make laws that you don't have the funding or ability to enforce (see: prohibition in the 20's)

If every horse was shipped to slaughter in a double-decker trailer it would be easy. But almost half of horses arrive to slaughter in regular gooseneck trailers. How many of those are in south Texas?

And... if you're saying it's difficult WHILE posting a video essentially saying it's common. I don't understand??

~Adrienne

It is common now because it is legal.

It is far different to export livestock to other countries than it is for immigrants to cross the borders. We have done volumes of research with regard to both Mexican and Canadian animal import policies, and I can tell you straight from the horses mouth (both Mexican and Canadian) that they are certain that horses will not be able to enter their countries for slaughter once this bill is passed. They also attest that horses are unlikely to enter for other purposes (such as under the guise of saddle horses etc.) because the import fees alone are so high that it would be a losing financial endeavor.

Quote Originally Posted by abrant View Post
    Sorry if I don't believe you. In my line of work, I interact with tons of mostly illegal immigrants. It's still *easy* for them to get across the border and get fake papers and work. I've talked with them about how easy it is. This is a HUGE national political issues and it's not anywhere close to resolved. Are horses going to be a higher priority?

Sure, you can't not make a law because it might be broken... but you shouldn't make laws that you don't have the funding or ability to enforce (see: prohibition in the 20's)

If every horse was shipped to slaughter in a double-decker trailer it would be easy. But almost half of horses arrive to slaughter in regular gooseneck trailers. How many of those are in south Texas?

And... if you're saying it's difficult WHILE posting a video essentially saying it's common. I don't understand??

~Adrienne
    www.horse-protection.org

Quote Originally Posted by abrant View Post
    If every horse was shipped to slaughter in a double-decker trailer it would be easy. But almost half of horses arrive to slaughter in regular gooseneck trailers. How many of those are in south Texas?~Adrienne
    That's an interesting statistic, almost half of the horses arrive at slaughter in goosenecks. Where did you get that stat?

IMO it would not make sense to ship 4,6,8, or however many horses fit on a gooseneck to Mexico or Canada... the cost of shipping to slaughter in such small numbers across so many miles would considerably outweigh the payout.

Re: Exporting horses into Mexico for slaughter

I am crossposting from another poster on an earlier thread, hope that's okay:
    I just spoke to the USDA vet at the Santa Teresa crossing into MX which is the only point where horses and livestock can cross. He gave me some interesting info.

First, all horses are off loaded and a pen inspection is done for soundness/Humane transport violations. He stated that 4 downed horses were removed yesterday from a double decker. Two of them were dead on the trailer. The other two were refused to be allowed to be reloaded and are being cared for at the location of the pens. Sadly, he did say that they do not charge the shippers with violations as he said that it is too much paperwork, and he'd rather just get the horses off. If they recover enough, they may be reloaded in the future to go to slaughter.

Currently slaughter horses do not need coggins or health cert or vaccination.
    Regular horses reguire Coggins, International health cert, proof of vaccination for EEE, WEE within 15 days prior to crossing. You must pay a broker to cross a non slaughter horse. Fees will vary, up to 200.00-800.00 per horse. Plus you must pay yardage at a holding site.

He did say, that if transport to slaughter is banned, that he will be enforcing it, as he said that if you see transporters cramming horses in trailers frequently crossing, it is pretty easy to tell that they are going to slaughter. He even laughed and said that the slaughter horses he gets through couldn't be mistaken for show horses.

He also said that when double deckers are banned he would enforce that.
    Re: Exporting horses for slaughter in Canada:
    If the ban goes through, to import slaughter horses legally into Canada under the pretenses of "riding horses" requires the following: A Federal Veterinary inspection certificate, which must be done in person by a vet (cost involved). The Canadian border patrol will generally just look at the horses on the trailer, but occasionally they will request that the horses be unloaded. Importation papers must be filled out and a broker is required to process the paper work, (yes, more $$$ required here). They will want to see the vet papers, bill of sale, Coggins results, way bill and vessel clearance papers. Depending on how busy the crossing is, it can take two hours to clear for one horse. Not every border crossing has a vet. You will require a broker to clear your horse. It generally costs about $75 US. plus the GST (7% of bill of sale) coming into Canada.

So if slaughter is banned here, for those who are really intent on breaking the law, it would would be a very likely futile or at the very least time-consuming and expensive process to taking truckloads of horses for slaughter in Mexico and Canada.
    "There's something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man" ~ Sir Winston Churchill

Thank You JumpingPaints! You've just saved me a great deal of time!

Im amazed that anyone could watch that video and worry about what might hypothetically happen should the bill pass. What about what is happening RIGHT NOW to literally thousands and thousands of American horses? What about them?

This horrific cruelty is taking place RIGHT NOW....each and every day that legislation to end this cruelty is delayed, hundreds more suffer needlessly.

If you care about horses, please take action to end this!!! Call your senators tomorrow and demand that they vote on S 1915! Here is a link to the latest action alert http://www.saplonline.org/Alerts/102506.htm
    www.horse-protection.org

I live only about 40 minutes from the Santa Teresa crossing. Does anybody know if the horses that show up get checked for bills of sale, ownership etc.? What I am getting at is what if the horses are stolen? Is somebody there making sure they are rightfully titled, bill of sale, etc.? This has me concerned since I live so close I am afraid someone could steal my horse and it would end up in Mexico before anything could be done. I will be looking into this myself, but just wondering if anybody here already knows from their research.

I knew that slaughter in Mexico had to be far worse with no regulations. But I never dreamed that they would be killing them that way. I am just sick! Since they do the same thing to the bulls at the end of a bullfight I guess it shouldn't suprise me. While the thought of killing and eating a horse is highly disgusting to me, I guess I could live with it if it was done humanly. And that humane treatment at slaughter should extend to cattle, sheep, chickens, etc. No animal should have to suffer so we can eat it. We can walk on the moon but we can't figure out how to treat animals that give their lives so we can eat a kind end. We raise our own beef, lamb and chickens. At least I know they lived a happy, stress free life and are killed humanely.

They probably have to have some brand inspection or bills of sale or something but I doubt they are checking for stolen horses. They don't even do that here! BOS papers would be easy to fake or they could just run them through a cheap auction and "launder" them that way.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    That's an interesting statistic, almost half of the horses arrive at slaughter in goosenecks. Where did you get that stat?

IMO it would not make sense to ship 4,6,8, or however many horses fit on a gooseneck to Mexico or Canada... the cost of shipping to slaughter in such small numbers across so many miles would considerably outweigh the payout.
    http://www.grandin.com/references/horse.transport.html

~Adrienne

Hi Baby Goose!
    Jet is boarded 15 min from the Santa teresa border crossing. I have him at what I consider a safe barn, but I don't think they are checking for stolen horses at the crossing. At least I got the impression they weren't from the USDA vet at the crossing that I spoke with.
    And currently, the majority of horses that are crossing are in double deckers, although I think that is supposed to become illegal Dec 7th. Onthe bit, perhaps you can link something verifying the date.
    Our local news showed a clip of that plant (not the actual slaughter, but a horse going into the kill box while another got his head smashed from a sliding door that dropped down when he tried to move forward.) The link to the broadcast is probably still on the news' website www.kvia.com
    OK- It is still on their website. Click on the link above, then put "horse slaughter" in the search box at the top right hand side. It is the first result that shows up. (You can see the knife in the guys hand right before he kills one, but they don't show the actual slaughter.)
    Eagerly awaiting Jan 20th, 2017. Drain the swamp.

I've been asking what about the horses slaughtered every day for years. But with the anti slogan of " all our nothing " the horses continue to have the same problems at slaughter decade after decade. IMO if you care about horses those groups and people would work with the other side to make changes and improvements rather then settle for nothing.

And lots of horses go to slaughter other then in double deck semis. Theres two loads by gooseneck trailers from here in Mn. every month just from one place I know. But theres also lots of gooseneck trailers that haul more then 4,6,or 8 head.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpingPaints View Post
    You will require a broker to clear your horse. It generally costs about $75 US. plus the GST (7% of bill of sale) coming into Canada.
    So anyone shipping horses to slaughter under the guise of "riding horses" will perhaps have to pay $75 (for the load or each horse) to be inspected, PLUS 7% of the bill of sale (again of each horse?).
    Seems that would cut into the slaughter profits drastically.

"... plants in Texas were observed in July and August of 1998. A total of 1008 horses were surveyed. Forty-two percent of the horses were transported on double decks, 9% on straight single deck semi-trailers and 49% on goosenecks. "
    This is from the link Adrienne posted.

So half the horses coming to the plant in TX got there either on double deckers (42%) (which will soon be/is now illegal) and another half got there by gooseneck (49%).

With the paperwork Jumpingpaints illustrated, and the costs incurred, does it really seem probably that the profit will be there for the same numbers that went to TX on double deckers to go to Mexico/Canada in goosenecks?
    "The average number of horses on each load was double decks 28, single deck straight trailers 22 and goosenecks 11" (again from the link Adrienne posted)
    11 horses shipping in a gooseneck all the way to Canada or Mexico?
    Or will they lead them one at a time across the border under the cover of night?
    Doesn't look like there would be much profit in that.
    I certainly hope there isn't.

But hope is not enough, call your legislators and tell them how you wish them to vote on this issue that is important to you.
    Last edited by Angela Freda; Dec. 7, 2006 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Angela Freda View Post
    So anyone shipping horses to slaughter under the guise of "riding horses" will perhaps have to pay $75 (for the load or each horse) to be inspected, PLUS 7% of the bill of sale (again of each horse?).
    Seems that would cut into the slaughter profits drastically.
    Plus coggins and international health certificate.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"