The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Yay! News from my first hunt! **UPDATE, photos **

I am so happy i decided to follow through with going! Thank you all who were supportive!

I am barely alive today. My muscles are all so sore, even my toe and finger muscles! I didnt even change clothes after getting home, I layed directly on the couch, boots and all for a 45 minute nap that turned into 4 hours. I will definitely hand it to you all, foxhunting definitely requires you to be in shape! It was great though. I had a blast. The first 1/2 hour or so i spent most of my time trying to keep the horse 'collected and controlled' and finally realized if i just let him go he was a perfect gentleman all on his own. After that it was even more fun because i stopped fussing with him.

2 field master and 2 other people somehow disappeared after about the first half hour and the ENTIRE second field had no clue where she went, and then finally she came out of nowhere! At the point where we were all standing around looking for her, the hounds had found a fox in the next field over so we got to watch that, and i did get to see the fox twice. My horse almost lost me over one small fence because he stopped and then decided to bunny hop over it (remember he is not well schooled over jumps yet). There was no required jumping except for that spot. Later the field master showed the field a circle in the woods of small 1-2ft jumps if we wanted to play, so we did. He was very good though they were small jumps.

I stayed the entire time, I wanted to push myself. Everyone called it quits after about 2 1/2 - 3 hours. Went back and had food and drinks. I excused myself after about 1/2 hours since i didnt know many people and felt a little awkward. I profusely thanked the master, and huntsman and staff and the person who supplied me a mount many many times before i left. I even stuck behind to do a gate while hunting to show respect for the other people. Everyone said i was more than welcome to come back.

That was so much fun and boy let me tell you i feel so much better getting out of the arena and learning how to ride in an entirely different style!
    Last edited by pvcjumper; Dec. 8, 2006 at 09:30 AM.
    ~*PVC JUMPER*~
    Dreams are meant to come true, not free...
    "Everything I do, I do out of fear of being mediocre."

Congratulations! Glad you had a good time.

Remember - arnica is your friend. The little tablets that go under your tongue and - should you ever get a bruise - the stuff you rub on (I usually borrow some of the horses's Sore No More liniment ;-)
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

Talking

PVCJumper -

Wow, good thing you weren't out with us last week on the 5-hour hunt.....

You are welcome back any time, glad it all worked out for you! Hunting needs a lot more enthusiastic converts like you.
    ~~Liz Williams, Snickersville Hounds~~

"I'll thank the Lord the life I've led Was always near a Thoroughbred"
    -Paul Mellon

Default photo link

http://www.annemitchellphotography.com/

go to 'online proofing' then to 'Snickersville Hunt 12.03.06'

I am so excited :-) I am going back again this weekend. Its absolutely breath taking at this point to me, seeing how everything works together.
    ~*PVC JUMPER*~

Ain't hunting just a blast. The downhill snowskiing of horseback riding!!
    Fran

Very cool!

Page 2, bottom right-hand corner. Gentleman on a gray horse, has a whip draped around his neck. What's the significance of his red armband?
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

Quote Originally Posted by Risk-Averse Rider View Post
    Page 2, bottom right-hand corner. Gentleman on a gray horse, has a whip draped around his neck. What's the significance of his red armband?
    Interesting catch. Anyone have an idea?
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

A guy who rides - shock horror we do exist!!

Florida winters, come back! All's forgiven!

Okay this is my total guess re: red band- He looks to be a whip- perhaps he has that "red" to warn non-foxhunter-hunters of his presence (it's still hunting season of some sort)? Didn't wear the blaze orage b/c of tradition- but added a little safety by way of read arm band? Interestly I note that the red is more a burgandy and that he does not have his colors (at least not on this melton)- perhaps that is somehow related? Such a mystery

That is the MFH and fieldmaster.

Rather than putting the emphasis of hunting on SCARLET/COLORS, he has opted to dress more subtley and put the focus on HUNTING.

(Edited to say that I mis-spoke--he has opted to put the emphasis on HUNTING and FUN!)

Quote Originally Posted by woodstock View Post
    and that he does not have his colors (at least not on this melton)- perhaps that is somehow related? Such a mystery
    I noticed this too, that and the fact that he's not wearing 'pinque' led me to doubt that he was even an actual (full time) whip. Nothing more than a photo of someone near some hounds who carries a hunting whip for gates and helping out if requested ??
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Alcott View Post
    That is the MFH and fieldmaster.

Rather than putting the emphasis of hunting on SCARLET/COLORS, he has opted to dress more subtley and put the focus on HUNTING.

(Edited to say that I mis-spoke--he has opted to put the emphasis on HUNTING and FUN!)
    Ah, ok! Mystery solved then I guessed! Always the simple answers, eh?!
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Quote Originally Posted by Frecklefacedfrannie View Post
    Ain't hunting just a blast. The downhill snowskiing of horseback riding!!
    Fran
    That deserves to be on a bronze plaque somewhere

Ware Whip!

That is the master of Snickersville (the photo with the red armband.) Since he 'owns' the hunt, he certainly 'has his colors.' Can't imagine why the armband. Maybe it was warm adn his pink coat is a heavy melton and his black one more lightweight??
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

PantherCreek- I really wouldn't "scorn" the guy who owns the hunt and is the master for whatever he chooses to do with his own pack. Atleast he's close to traditional! There are lots of hunts that prefer not to have too many scarlet coats in the field and scarlet is reserved to the master(s). The other gentlemen with colors where black/navy coats with their colors. Although probably not the most traditional thing, but it's what each hunt wants to do, and they've probably been around long enough to know what they're doing. As I know the master/owner or Snickersville has been around...
    Last edited by SteeleRdr; Dec. 11, 2006 at 08:08 PM.

A few of the gentlemen I know who ride with Piedmont who have their colors do not wear scarlet, I believe there are also a few hunts on the West coast (although I'm not completely sure).

It seems just from the tone and overall distaste your put forth to his practice would deem is scornful. And hence I put scorn in quotes in order to really say you weren't scorning him, but sounded and awful lot like it.

Usually the armbands are a way for a master, fieldmaster, hunter trial judge to stick out. I know they are using them for the Centennial trials, but again, very different from a Master.

pvcjumper, glad you had such a good time, and thanks for the update.

I don't know the "armband guy" in question, but it seems to make sense to me as a visual aid for the field if for whatever reason he isn't wearing a scarlet jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by PantherCreek View Post
    I just see it as pandering to the ignorameses of hunting.
    If you're going to be citing the dictionary in an argument, at least spell your snarks correctly.

Hmmmm...a couple of the comments on this thread remind me that no matter what someone does, they can't win.

If they try to conduct their sport humbly and without pretension, they're criticized for "pandering to ignorameses (sic)".

Whatever.

I can't speak for him, but I doubt that Gregg (spelled with TWO "g"s on the end, not one) cares whether he "looks much better in scarlet". It's about the HUNTING, not the color in which one looks best.

Never said they were black/navy only. Merely stated there were hunts out there that did have several gentlemen that chose to wear black/navy coats with colors (not black/navy with just buttons), rather than scarlet.

Jennifer- thanks for posting.

As for the OP- did you get to go hunting again this past weekend??

Quote Originally Posted by PantherCreek View Post

The MFH with the burgundy armband sticks out just (or puts the focus even more onhimself) asmuch or more so with his modified garb to everyone hunting. The only people he would not stick out to are the people who know nothing about foxhunting? I am sure he is not trying to make himself stick out more, and while people who hunt may notice the red armband, i am sure the idiot know nothings you speak of would want to know what it signified too ... i did. And i assure you, i am not an idiot know nothing nor someone who is extremely experienced in hunting yet either.

Those people are attracted to hunting for the wrong reasons, usually thakfully don't last very long and are not the sort of people you want to keep in the sport anyway. Wow, how about hunting for the love of hunting and not being a snob based on what someone wears?!

Why deprive the real foxhunters by taking away such a beautiful sight as scarlet agasint a winter landscape, not to speak of the ageless tradition it signifies as part of the sport? wow again, thats like saying people who spend 50k on a 'made' horse arent real riders, and all they have to do is sit there and look pretty, and that the real riders work and train their 500 pmu mare from the ground up. I am sure this group thinks of hunting just as highly as you do, and without be condescending or a wardrobe tirant. I went hunting in a grey/navy show jacket with them, and i was perfectly welcome. I didnt have hundreds of dollars to drop on hunt attire to go *TRY* something i didnt even know if i would like. Now that i like it, and if i decide to become a member, i will go get the right jacket and vest out of respect for the tradition.
    Check you dictionary, please. Scorn is a harsh word. I think scorn was putting it lightly. SteelRdr was right on track. You are ridiculing a hunt and the people it attracks, which neither is deserving of at all.

Where did i do that? please point out my scornful comments.

all I did is ask if there was not a better way to get the message across.

My other comment was that he sticks out more with an armband than in scarlet. Isnt the point either way to signify he is staff? Or an important person? Excuse my ignorant question because of course i am a lowly ignoramus

I just see it as pandering to the ignorameses of hunting.
    WOW, my final statement on this note is that i would rather hunt with an unrecognized hunt of people like him, and those members, than a recognized hunt filled with judgmental people like you. This is the exact reason i thought i would never try hunting. Because i thought i wasnt good enough and too lowly to ever ride with people like 'them.' ... like you. I thought they would all be rich and snotty and look down on me. Luckily they were not, and i am so happy i was talked into going because they were the most welcoming group of people i have ever met and i have absolutely fallen in love with the sport, as well as the tradition. Had i been required to buy the outfit first, i may have never gone. They were nice enough to let me come in what i had as long as i was turned out nicely.

I am sorry this thread turned into a 'my hunt is better than yours' debate. These people have a great spirit and a true sense of commeradary and a love for the sport. That is more important i think than if someone wears what you think they should wear, right? Isnt it about the sport?
    ~*PVC JUMPER*~

Quote Originally Posted by SteeleRdr View Post
    As for the OP- did you get to go hunting again this past weekend??
    Yes i did, thanks for asking! And i did so in my *gasp* show coat again. And i intend to do it for my next two hunts where i use up my allowed number of 'guest passes.' After that i will decide if i want to pay for a season membership/subscription, then i will respectfully purchase the correct attire, out of respect for the hunt itself and the sport :-) I am very excited! I just need to make sure i will have something to ride :-) A gentleman has been very generous in offering me his extra mount the past two weekends! But i dont want to take that for granted!

also FYI, i posted to all your responsed on the racing thread!
    ~*PVC JUMPER*~