The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Scrolling

I have a feeling that this is due to my internet, but only on this page, I can't scroll down. I have to click on the arrows, or click the scroll bar to move down the page. I can't use the scroll ball thing in my mouse.

We recently updated Internet Explorer, and I have a feeling that this is what caused it. Does anyone know how to fix it? Or if it can't be fixed?

Question

I don't know how to fix it, but I've had the problem also and only on this website. We just upgraded computers. Any help will be appreciated.

Yup. same problem here after upgrade of Internet Explorer. Anyone have a solution?

What mouse are all of you using?

There is a known bug with IE7 and Logitech mouse drivers. However, the bug is that the scrolling won't stop, not that it won't happen at all.

But this could be a similar issue.

I don't know what kind of mouse I have, it's just the Hp one that came with the computer.

It's not just you - I have lost all scrolling capabilities, either through a regular mouse, the mouse fingerpad on my laptop, any page up/page down, or home or end. It's getting VERY frustrating and annoying. This hapens both on Firefox and on IE.

There are scrolling issues with IE 7. Other browsers should be fine, although you might need to click in the main window first before you're able to scroll normally.

Default Erin???

Will we be able to scroll with IE7 in the future? Thanks for all the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    There are scrolling issues with IE 7. Other browsers should be fine, although you might need to click in the main window first before you're able to scroll normally.
    But it's not fine with Firefox. Even with the previous version if IE, if I attempted to use the up/down arrows without first clicking in the main window (as in, the focus was still on the banner), then IE would shut down. Firefox worked fine then. Very annoying

Ohio, somewhere between Cleveland and Sandusky

I have IE 7 and don't have any problems scrolling with either my mouse or using the up and down arrow keys. I am using a Microsoft wireless mouse and a standard wired keyboard on my computer.

Sometimes using the up-down arrows causes explorer to crash on mine and sometimes not. But I have the feeling it's IE and not COTH's fault.

Unhappy

I have IE7 a wireless mouse and a wireless keyboard and can't scroll. Saying that, I was actually able to the other day after clicking on the home page. Of course, now I've been clicking on the home page and can't scroll. There has to be a catch.

Quote Originally Posted by hb View Post
    Sometimes using the up-down arrows causes explorer to crash on mine and sometimes not. But I have the feeling it's IE and not COTH's fault.
    I never had trouble with COTH and and IE 6 until COTH switched to this new format with the banner up top being however it's set up (obviously a different frame, but there's likely something more than that). Because the focus seems to end up there, not in the forum section, there is something about how that frame is set up that causes the up/down arrows to wig it out. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I never had trouble with COTH and and IE 6 until COTH switched to this new format with the banner up top being however it's set up (obviously a different frame, but there's likely something more than that). Because the focus seems to end up there, not in the forum section, there is something about how that frame is set up that causes the up/down arrows to wig it out. JMHO
    Yup. Since I have to click on the page in order to have any chance of scrolling without crashing, I agree that something is wrong with the focus of the browser. I wouldn't complain, except that it gets ridiculously annoying to have to keep clicking on the chronicle page in order to scroll each time I load a new page. As soon as I forget, I crash and have to start over from the beginning.

Did you all try loading just the content of the lower frame? Use this link: http://chronicleforums.com/Forum/index.php it effectively removes the banner so if that's the issue it should fix the problem.

Furlong--That worked for me! I can now scroll. Thanks!!

Three cheers. I can scroll again.

Someone needs to write a melody to go with that phrase.

Now how do I hang on to it forever?

Signed: Computer Idiot!!

Default Yeah Furlough

That's it. Thanks.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

furlong, Thanks for that. I just upgraded to 7 with a Microsoft mouse and was having the same problem only with this forum and not with others using the same vBulletin software.