The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Exclamation NATIONAL HORSE SHOW

does anyone know how the naitonal horse shows been going? What juniors and professionals have been doing well so far?

Scott Stewart was champion in all of the hunter divisions except for the 2nd years, in which Ken Smith was champion.
    Hunter numbers looked pretty dismal except for the first years which had 22.

you can find the results at Stadium Jumping's website

the juniors hunters didnt have a lot?

Looking at the numbers, it is possible to qualify for the a/o's having around 150 points and being 300th (!) nationally.

I don't believe one has had to actually qualify for any division at the national since it moved to FL. They're taking whatever they can get.

I just scanned the results, a shame more can't show at the national. It was a real inconvenience to show in NYC, yet they had to turn people away. Now, they have the show in a perfect environment, and barely fill the classes. Is it just that the horses are tired after such a long season, is it the timing (The National was always before Thanksgiving), or is it the distance?
    POYBGP, member in good standing.

I think it's partially the timing, and the fact that if you're not down in FL at that time anyway, it's real pain to go. You either go and come back, and then go down again, which isn't very appealing, or you close down your northern barn early and rack up more expense for your barn and customers with an extra month in FL in addition to the circuit. Not tremendously attractive.

Well taken, but it IS the National. Do they get the same amount of spectators they used to get in NY?
    POYBGP, member in good standing.

I've never been down for it since the move. My mother has gone in the past and said the hunter classes were basically unattended, but I do believe they get a decent number of spectators for the jumpers. The jumper divisions are much better populated as well, and have the money to bring in entries.
    I'm not sure any aspect of it being "The National" is left to give it much appeal for the hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by CBoylen View Post
    I think it's partially the timing, and the fact that if you're not down in FL at that time anyway, it's real pain to go. You either go and come back, and then go down again, which isn't very appealing, or you close down your northern barn early and rack up more expense for your barn and customers with an extra month in FL in addition to the circuit. Not tremendously attractive.
    Exactly. Unless you live there or have migrated down for the winter, it's just too much at this time of year. Those who winter there know there will be great horse shows waiting for them when they get there.

Actually, we had a horse go in the Welcome yesterday and, from all reports, it was an exciting class.

Bonnie
    http://ShowjumpersUSA.com
    CAMPESINO (1990 - 2008)
    Capitol I - Sacramento Song xx
    http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/annalisasmith

Default www.livebroadcast.tv

Live events at the National.
    CAMPESINO (1990 - 2008)

Default Live TV coverage of the NATIONAL

CAMPESINO (1990 - 2008)

Default shocked . . .

There were only 3 in the Regular U/S . . . couldn't believe it.

It is NOT the National any more.

It's just a show in Florida.

where are the results posted??

The Regular Confs didn't even fill at Harrisburg this year so I don't think that it is the National in particular.

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

She was talking about the regular working, which had 18 or so at H'burg. That's just sad.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

A friend of mine called me from Wellington last week and told me it was like a ghost town there. She told me that WEF didn't even seem like the same place.

One of the reasons that the National Horse Show could not continue at Madison Square Garden in New York is that attendance was so dismal. They were losing money. The traditions that made it a great event became antiquated, and they waited too long to modernize the show. The old society was replaced by the new rich, the prestige of qualifying became a "buy one's way in" process, and that show, like many of the others, became a matter of having enough money to get there, and not a matter of being good enough to get there. It relates to Harry's recent topic on ridiculous horse show fees. We have quietly lain down and accepted the fact that it now costs a lot of money to win a 50 cent ribbon. The horse shows didn't do this to us, we allowed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chevaux View Post
    A friend of mine called me from Wellington last week and told me it was like a ghost town there. She told me that WEF didn't even seem like the same place.

One of the reasons that the National Horse Show could not continue at Madison Square Garden in New York is that attendance was so dismal. They were losing money. The traditions that made it a great event became antiquated, and they waited too long to modernize the show. The old society was replaced by the new rich, the prestige of qualifying became a "buy one's way in" process, and that show, like many of the others, became a matter of having enough money to get there, and not a matter of being good enough to get there. It relates to Harry's recent topic on ridiculous horse show fees. We have quietly lain down and accepted the fact that it now costs a lot of money to win a 50 cent ribbon. The horse shows didn't do this to us, we allowed it.

yeah and madision square garden wanted a million dollars a day for it plus some!!!!!!!!!!
    Author of COTH article "The Other Side of Aaron Vale"