The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Default George Morris appalled by "Disco Spurs"

My trainer rode my horse in this week's George Morris Clinic. Mr. Morris was appalled by the the silver jeweled Bevel spurs my trainer was wearing. http://www.beval.com/mainstreet/form...b-5f33264b2d4a He referred to them as "Disco Spurs" and that they should be worn by Paris Hilton. Mr. Morris said that he likes to Disco Dance, but he would not wear the disco spurs when riding. He also said that if he were judging, and you were wearing disco spurs, he would drop your placing in both equitation and the hunters. In addition, he said that the silver spur straps were suitable for western and had no place in an English riding environment.

The funny thing is that these are my spurs and my trainer borrowed them for the clinic. My trainer is young and ultra conservative. There is no color and usually no bling in our barn...except for my Bevel Disco spurs with silver "Western" straps, which really are not noticeable unless you are within a few feet.

Apparently, George was not completely appalled by the disco spurs/western spur straps. More than once he asked my trainer if she was married or had a boy friend. When she answered neither, he asked her for a date. That man has quite a sense of humor! http://pets.webshots.com/photo/24300...78183532LUleWt

Now THAT is funny! Disco spurs...I'll have to remember that one, and the thought of him disco dancing is quite amusing. Interesting that he would drop a rider down in placing for wearing them, do you think that was an exaggeration? Maybe he was hamming it up for the clinic? I can see that for the Eq but the hunters too...?

E
    http://community.webshots.com/user/greyhoundgal

Member of the OMFG I got banned clique

They're pretty, but they have no place in the hunter or EQ ring.

I've been at horse shows where most certainly a rider was scored lower or even asked to leave the ring for wearing flashy attire, including spurs. He was not exaggerating when he said he would score you lower. I've heard he scores you lower if you are not wearing black gloves too. He can even get away with it in the hunter ring because from his viewpoint, it would distract his eye from the horse, which he wants to be his focus.

One time I was working a horse show and the judge radioed over to me to relay to the rider with the pink spurs on that if she came back into the ring with those spurs, she would not receive a score.

I'm not necessarily saying that it's right, I'm just saying how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Propped Up View Post
    My trainer rode my horse in this week's George Morris Clinic. Mr. Morris was appalled by the the silver jeweled Bevel spurs my trainer was wearing. http://www.beval.com/mainstreet/form...b-5f33264b2d4a He referred to them as "Disco Spurs" and that they should be worn by Paris Hilton. Mr. Morris said that he likes to Disco Dance, but he would not wear the disco spurs when riding. He also said that if he were judging, and you were wearing disco spurs, he would drop your placing in both equitation and the hunters. In addition, he said that the silver spur straps were suitable for western and had no place in an English riding environment.
    Ha! Well, can't be surprised. I think George would have a heart attack if Paris Hilton came to one of his clinics. One can only imagine what SHE would wear...

I think the funniest part about this is imagining George "disco dancing."

Default And what about this surprises you?

GM has ALWAYS made it clear that he expects clean, neat and workmanlike for turnout of horse and rider. Tradition is VERY important to him. Your trainer actually got off quite easy!
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

Quote Originally Posted by starlight
    Now THAT is funny! Disco spurs...I'll have to remember that one, and the thought of him disco dancing is quite amusing. Interesting that he would drop a rider down in placing for wearing them, do you think that was an exaggeration? Maybe he was hamming it up for the clinic? I can see that for the Eq but the hunters too...? E
    I sure hope it wasn't an exaggeration. He is (of course) 100% right in saying that.

It's been said 1000 times before; "There's no place for bling in the hunter ring."

Period.
    Randee Beckman ~Otteridge Farm, LLC (http://on.fb.me/1iJEqvR)~ Marketing Manager - The Clothes Horse

According to a friend who is a close acquaintance of George, he is apparently a big fan of disco dancing
    Charlotte

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I say kudos to anyone that old that can still spot spur bling from the judges stand! I'm not anywhere that old and I can hardly see the bling from my nose to my toes.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Don't want to steal this topic but speaking of bling and Eq do you tink you would get scored lower for the new show shirts out with the diamonds on the collars?
    There comes a point in every rider's life when she wonders if it's all worth it. Then one look at her horse, and she realizes - it is.

I have some cheap blinged spurs from SmartPak. They have three tiny little pink crystals on them. I school in them, but I don't show in them! I double I would clinic with GM in them, though...

Honestly, I'd have paid an auditing fee just to hear GM say "disco dancing!"
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Quote Originally Posted by tangerine_sky View Post
    Don't want to steal this topic but speaking of bling and Eq do you tink you would get scored lower for the new show shirts out with the diamonds on the collars?
    I don't know if you'd be offically scored lower, but anything that distracts the judge is not a good thing.....Those bright pink show shirts? Some judges really don't like them in the eq ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi's owner View Post
    I don't know if you'd be offically scored lower, but anything that distracts the judge is not a good thing.....Those bright pink show shirts? Some judges really don't like them in the eq ring.
    its not bright pink. The one I have is a pale blue but instead of a monogram it has jewels. I know everyone was wearing them in flordia....
    There comes a point in every rider's life when she wonders if it's all worth it. Then one look at her horse, and she realizes - it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi's owner View Post
    I've heard he scores you lower if you are not wearing black gloves too. He can even get away with it in the hunter ring because from his viewpoint, it would distract his eye from the horse, which he wants to be his focus..
    I would have a very hard time believing he would score lower for not having black gloves in the hunters, b/c I know for a fact he was around at the time when brown field boots, brown gloves, brown belt and brown helmet were "in". (Went nicely with the rust, which I know he favors.) I could see him doing it if someone were wearing brown gloves and BLACK boots, though, for sure I could. Sacre bleu!!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Charlotte View Post
    According to a friend who is a close acquaintance of George, he is apparently a big fan of disco dancing
    Does he wear the huntcap when doing so? In the photos he always seems to be wearing the huntcap... so I can't get the imagine out of my mind of GM disco dancing wearing blinged spurs and a huntcap.

~Adrienne

The Southern California freeway system, stuck in an endless commute

Default Sorry, George ...

But I simply MUST have a pair of those spurs.

Provided, of course, that they come in the little itty bitty size that only hints at my dear, sweet CANTER cutie Topper that spurs are actually being worn.
    Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

disco spurs, colored shirts, dirty boots (w. zippers), hideous belts, and clashing riding coats are all his BIG no nos.

I also think your trainer got off VERY easily. I would never have the guts to wear something like that when riding with George Morris, he who complains when a stirrup is a QUARTER OF A HOLE too long or short and has been known to say something when the BOTTOM of someone's boots have too much dirt. If I were riding with him and my choices were "blingy" spurs or none at all, I would go with none. If he thought I needed them, he would ask another rider to loan a pair .

I am also surprised he asked her out. I always thought GM was a "confirmed bachelor" but I do not follow him that closely since I am a dressage person mostly.
    Lark B
    socialwstudent@gmail.com
    _________

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by lark_b View Post
    I also think your trainer got off VERY easily. I would never have the guts to wear something like that when riding with George Morris, he who complains when a stirrup is a QUARTER OF A HOLE too long or short and has been known to say something when the BOTTOM of someone's boots have too much dirt. If I were riding with him and my choices were "blingy" spurs or none at all, I would go with none. If he thought I needed them, he would ask another rider to loan a pair .

I am also surprised he asked her out. I always thought GM was a "confirmed bachelor" but I do not follow him that closely since I am a dressage person mostly.

GM is really quite amusing and well ummm, he is a 'confirmed bachelor' which is why PU knew GM's interest in Ami was all in fun! Notice the laughing icons following that sentence in her post?

I was there auditing on Tuesday. I think her liked her 'leg' and the Disco Spurs became an excuse to give them plenty of attention.
    Horsezee