The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

ummm..which video has the horse in-hand, whips, etc?

I only have dial-up, and I clicked on the dial-up of Quaterback.

are some of you watching the Champion/ reserve Champion of the Approval?

Come on people ...

Walk, trot, canter and even lengthening , is not going to ruin a horse for later.

It's better for a horse to work 20 minutes a day with a job than just going crooked with his nose up in the air around for 30 minutes at the walk and trot because he is just a baby.

He is an amazing horse period. I'm sure we would make an upper level eventing horse and probably a Grand Prix jumper. He is balanced, he has an incredible canter.

I don't see why he would be a bad trail horse. He has actually a very good brain. It's very hard for a horse to stay focused in an indoor like that and he did his job like a Champ'.

As far as collection, I don't see why it would be a problem. He is very supple, he is naturally balanced and has no problem going from a medium trot to a working trot, so I wouldn't worry for his future as a top level dressage horse.

As far as breeding, Give me a break ...
    I would breed a mare any day to this horse. He has great bloodlines, he has an incredible movement, he is well put togethere and has pretty much everything you're looking for in a modern sporthorse. I don't care, if he hasn't won any blue ribbon or if we don't know yet if his offsping is Grand Prix level material. I don't see how you can not improve by breeding to a horse like him.

Two Simple, if everybody follows your logic then the Equine specie is going to die. If we have to wait to see the offspring of a horse before bredding to him then how do you make it work ?

I doubt that breeding to a horse like this is going to produce some horses that you have to sell to auctions or backyard unwanted horses.

I work for 3 breeders and thank god, some people have taken chances on younger stallions to breed their mares. If not we would all be out of business.

He is incredible . I would love to get to ride a horse like this in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Simple View Post
    Lovely animal, but a 3 year old hot stallion being chased by whips in a strange environment doesn't really tell you much what the gaits will be like at maturity. That goes for any horse - not just this one. In the 'in hand' video, it is impossible for the handler to get the horse to stand still. He is tap dancing all over his handler. And that's just what most babies would do in a strange situation. So its pretty clear that he was hot and wired for sound that day. And that does a lot to increase the expressiveness of gaits.

excuse me, are you talking about:

Video Clip of the 2006 Approval Champion, Stedinger x Quattro B

OR

Video Clip of the 2006 Approval Second Reserve Champion, Sandro Hit x Plaisir d'Amour?

because the rest of us are talking about: Video Clip of Quaterback in the Althengstparade

i'm also curious to hear exactly what it is that is preventing this horse from going out on the trail? i don't see the problem. i think it is a ridiculous criticism though. it is like saying, "yeah, he's nice, but he wouldn't pack my 4-year old daughter around, or he would suck pulling a cart, so he's not an all-arounder." that is stooping pretty low to find something, anything negative to say about him.

Two Simple, try looking at the video of Quarterback under saddle. There were no extra men in the ring - certainly not men with whips chasing him. It is an incredible video of a calm, supple, soft, flexible young stallion. Can he be collected with his naturally big gaits??? I say yes, absolutely and without question (well, with the right rider/trainer). Why??? Look at his trot, both working and lengthened. He is so full of softness, loft and suspension that he will surely put more elevation into his trot when he is muscled up and ready and do a lovely, cadenced, gorgeous collected trot. A horse that lengthens without suspension and is flat and just takes big strides without all that softness may be hard to collect. Quaterback?? I doubt it.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

It is the horse of a lifetime. Get used to it, LOL!

I think there are two factions here - one that appreciates a horse with good conformation and super gaits, and the other one that thinks anything with above average movement is "only good for dressage" and not trail riding and, therefore, must be bad. The problem is that they can't bring up the RK argument, so they have to resort to assumptive statements regarding a miserable future for said horse.

Give me a break!
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

this is a great moving horse with tons of potential. if you think this is a bad mover with 'too much knee action' then i understand a lot of your other comments a lot better. all starting to fit into place now.
    With you here. Incredible horse and don't understand the critisism. He's ONLY three and shows great gaits AND a super temperment. And just because he has such "lofty" gaits doesn't mean he would be hard to sit the trot, as long as his back is up and he is through. Probably can jump the moon as well, but who knows! Edited to add; I'm sure this rider is not asking for all the horse has got in those lengthenings.

The second clip is a different horse in the arena and the guys with whips. Obviously, its an inspection/show/competition. Maybe they should just let the horse in the arena and stand there and roll around. How in the world are they supposed to judge the gaits? Haven't you ever seen a free-jump setup? This is what it looks like to me.
    *** 4 More Years ***
    *** 4 More Years ***

The Peoples\' Republic of Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA

Lord-- he looks like a different species from the ones I ride (or CAN ride:-))
    He sets a beautiful standard.
    Never give up. Never give in. Never, never, never.

Quote Originally Posted by mademoiselle View Post
    As far as breeding, Give me a break ...
    I would breed a mare any day to this horse. He has great bloodlines, he has an incredible movement, he is well put togethere and has pretty much everything you're looking for in a modern sporthorse. I don't care, if he hasn't won any blue ribbon or if we don't know yet if his offsping is Grand Prix level material. I don't see how you can not improve by breeding to a horse like him.
    I'm with Mademoiselle here: Every stallion has to prove himself as a stud somehow, and if I had a mare worth breeding, I'd be volunteering to help with that first foal crop! He is balanced, attentive, and looks to be athletic enough to do anything he puts his mind to. One can only hope that he passes on this willingness and fabulous movement. It's worth taking a chance to find out!

Default Can't find the clip...

Did they remove the clip? I don't see it on the list at that site...

Quote Originally Posted by Two Simple View Post
    And if he does all that at THREE, just exactly how long has been working under saddle, and how long will he stay sound?? Or is that why dressage horses commonly receive hock injections as part of normal and customary care?

And yeah, I suppose just about any 3 year old stallion in that kind of an electrifying atmosphere and men chasing him with whips would have his ass on fire too.

Lovely animal though - just wish the warmblood people would quit doing what the quarter horse people do. Get 'em turned out by 3.
    Wow. And I thought I was The Clueless Person on the Dressage Forum.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Absolutely awesome young stallion! I'm drooling here!

I do have a question though. . . when you click on that link and it shows the snow photo . . why does it look like there was a recent massacre in the snow??? Kinda scary lookin'!!! Geez did someone just slaughter a moose there!!
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

I went back and looked at the video again and I DID find something wrong with this horse. I CAN'T AFFORD HIM

Seriously though, this is a very nice horse who, IMO, will be capable of doing anything. Most likely, though, because of his movement he will become a dressage horse.

To the folks who think that because he is too good, that that, somehow makes him not good enough.............When you get beat in the dressage arena whilst riding those all arounders, please don't whine

This is what serious sport horse breeders are breeding for

Holy crap, that horse moves like that naturally??? And he's only 3...how much training could he have had?

I'm just blown away by that. I didn't know a horse COULD move like that without training and/or artificial gadgets.

I'm sure glad I won't be competing against him.
    Happiness is the sweet smell of horses, leather, and hay.

Clearly some people are viewing the wrong videoclip; and clearly some people are viewing the videoclip through a very different videoplayer!
    \"I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with someone who is unarmed.\"--Pogo

Two Simple - you are looking at videos of three completely different horses. The Quaterback one is at the bottom, undersaddle. I just glanced at the other two videos on that site and the horses don't even look remotely alike...kinda like those old westerns where the cowboy's horse changes color every scene. I'm surprised an experienced horse person could miss that.

I certainly wouldn't kick that horse out of my barn. Trailriding potential or not, he's poised to excell in some Olympic discipline if all goes well. He will be fun to watch in the future.

the horse is amazing...
    but my curiosity is the rider's hat? It looks like an American policeman's hat.
    Does anyone know the story behind it?

Notice that he's also wearing a uniform jacket. Many of the stallion videos you see from Germany the riders are wearing a uniform jacket. Don't know if they are the uniforms of the State Studs or not. Some have the short jackets and some have beautiful, long uniform jackets with the tails buttoned front to back with brass buttons to keep them out of the way.
    Tranquility Farm - Proud breeder of Born in the USA Sport Horses, and Cob-sized Warmbloods
    Now apparently completely invisible!

"being chased with whips"

it is not exactly chasing them around. in fact, they aren't doing that at all. he's just keeping him out of the corner. this is typical of how they show horses not under saddle. that, in fact, is the LEAST amount of 'being chased by whips' i have ever seen in any auction - you see far more of it in american auctions selling arabs and morgans and the like.

first you complain they are worked too early, then complain that the horses under saddle are not displayed to your liking.

in fact, these youngsters are not showing the tense 'false passage' you used to brag about in your arab yearling, and are not moving like this because they are being chased with whips.

this is just how they move - light airy and beautifully.

for those turning up their noses at the amount of 'knee action', try teaching something with a daisy cutter shuffle to do upper level work some day. you won't enjoy yourself.

I don't know dressage from dungarees, but that horse is achingly beautiful art in motion. Heart in your throat, words won't form, tears prick in your eyes, sort of beautiful.

Those of you bothering to converse with Too Simple, save your breath. She would argue that Miller Lite and CheezWhiz is far superior to champagne and caviar, if only because she just got a good deal on the former, at Costco.