The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Any breeders throwing in the towel? Or reducing breeding?

Seems as if I have heard a few rumors of breeders throwing in the towel, selling off their breeding stock and going back to riding their own horse. Others have been giving up for a year or so, and others are just cutting back on their production. We only breed one or two or three a year, and are only expecting one in 2007. We had bred two mares and were very surprized when one came up open on her 65 day checj. We will breed the two unbred mares in 2007 and probably not the mare who foals. We don't usually breed mares with foals by their sides. Not in the business of over populating the horse world!! What is the general concenus here? Are there new people starting out in the breeding business???
    http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

I am sort of new, but more of a "re-breeder" because my family bred jumpers and racehorses for many years; now I am breeding my own after a hiatus.
    My maiden Sandro Hit x Donnerhall mare will be bred to Hotline in the spring. I was planning to breed my Hohenstein filly next spring also, but have decided to wait until 2008 (she is only rising 3 and now is growthy again; I want to give her time to mature). She most likely will be bred to Sandro Hit, Don Schufro, or Samba Hit II. My mares are also my riding horses, so after 2008 they will likely only be bred by ET because I want to focus on their competitive careers.
    Last edited by YankeeLawyer; Nov. 27, 2006 at 12:53 AM.

I am new to the breeding biz.. with my one and only mare in foal to Cotopaxi for a May 2007 baby, and I am quite excited. She will be rebred next year as well if everything goes well. I eventually (when time and money allows) would like to get another nice mare to *slowly* begin expanding, but hey maybe I will end up breeding a great filly who I can keep as a broodie.

I've only been breeding for about 3 years, and I have no plans to expand! I only have between 1 and 3 foals a year, and it isn't a business for me so that is enough. Seems like I've seen some ads lately where people are selling breeding stock and the reason given is so that they have more time to ride/show. Completely understandable-it can really be a drain on time and money to try and do both!
    Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
    --Winston Churchill
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hills...h/112931293227
    www.HillsideHRanch.com

I have been breeding more than I "wanted" to because I needed to get Yak babies on the ground. I had 4 foals this year and am expecting 4 foals next year. THEN I am making some changes. My Hunter/Jumper show/boarding end of things has grown beyond the point where I can just keep making babies. I currently have 38 stalls, and 40 horses!

I plan to cut back to two broodies and have 3 currently for sale with one of them a sure bet.
    I gotta do-over and am doin it my way!!!

Default Boy tuff question

I had 6 this year and I'm expecting 9 next year in 2007..the most I've ever had in one year and will be breeding all 9 back in 2007 plus might be adding one if not sold prior. But I have really thought hard about it after vet bills of 30,000.00 plus this year with so many things all in one year. I see some farms that just leave their foals out and do nothing with them and they are all fine..mine are pampered and shit happens and you wonder why am I doing this??? It is cheaper sometimes in the long run to buy than to breed...only a breeder would know this, but buyers always think the foal is too expensive. Breeding is a lot of hard work..but it seems to be a bit of an addiction too...I do love my foals!!!

Wink WOW... I can totally relate!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Norsire View Post
    I had 6 this year and I'm expecting 9 next year in 2007..the most I've ever had in one year and will be breeding all 9 back in 2007 plus might be adding one if not sold prior. But I have really thought hard about it after vet bills of 30,000.00 plus this year with so many things all in one year. I see some farms that just leave their foals out and do nothing with them and they are all fine..mine are pampered and shit happens and you wonder why am I doing this??? It is cheaper sometimes in the long run to buy than to breed...only a breeder would know this, but buyers always think the foal is too expensive. Breeding is a lot of hard work..but it seems to be a bit of an addiction too...I do love my foals!!!
    I am the same....I see breeders that don't touch their horses for 3 years...no worming, no vit.---just oat hay, beet pulp/oats! NOTHING else....some don't even have shade! Mine, handled daily, wormed every 8 weeks, vit, best feed--all sorts of feed----taught all kinds of things.....groomed--they are spoiled......... it is so much work and my addiction. I have thoughts up and down about getting out, seems like I think of it more when the rest of my life is full of stress-----but, when that happens I throw myself into the horses and the stress is lessend. But, I have been seriously thinking of some down sizing and I have no foals next year. I will have one in 2008 for sure...maybe 2.
    *Better to have loved than to have never loved at all.*
    ALWAYS Blessings NEVER losses.

I had one foal this year, a Campesino colt I intend to keep. I have one mare in foal for a 2007 Cassini II baby. Another in foal to Quinar. Two of my mares lost their babies this fall. An Indoctro/Ramiro and a Roller Coaster/Coriander ...bummer....don't know why that happened.

We are not slowing down but, rather, picking up steam. I will have five or 6 mares in foal for 2008. I'm retired from the gypsy life and now have time to devote to breeding holsteiners.

Bonnie
    http://ShowjumpersUSA.com
    CAMPESINO (1990 - 2008)
    Capitol I - Sacramento Song xx
    http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/annalisasmith

I was barely getting into it and have decided to geld my stallion and downsize to only two horses for riding and maybe driving. There are so many horses on the market now. I find it hard to think about bring more into the world. Even though my breed is on the American Livestock Conservancy's list as threatened, I am not going to be adding to their ranks, for the time being.

I work full time and have a family. I can't see having the horses and not putting the time into teaching them to do something, even the babies. My other commitments make that rather hard. Much as I hate to say it, the horses don't come first.
    Akal Ranch Blog - http://akalranch.com/
    Simrat Khalsa Fine Art & Photography - http://www.simratkhalsa.com/

Since our stallion died last month I am cutting back the mare band. I am not keeping 7 broodmares with no stallion here. I have 6 now plus a coming 3 YO filly. And I plan to keep one of this year's weanling fillies. So.....2 are to be sold.One TB sold already/leaves in January and the other a SO with 2 stallions (a WB and a TB) is interested in trading stud fees for the Paint mare...so that holds a good possibility. Now if I can only find a home for our dratted mini all will be well!!! For the umpteenth time I got up to make coffee this morning he was looking at me in the kitchen window.

Simrat, I'm sorry to hear your choice but I certainly understand.

I am expecting 8 foals next Spring but unless sales pick up dramatically I will breed maybe 3 or 4 mares next spring at the most...probably less. Unfortunately our breed will probably remain threatened as long as we have registries too poor or too disinterested to do anything to promote the horses and educate potential buyers. Breeders can only do so much alone.

Yes I've seen several people I know who have given up. Many just couldn't find competent trainers for the young horses. We've started bringing bereiters over from Europe and that's working for us.

But we are significantly cutting back on the WB breeding and expanding our pony breeding. Our GRP Popeye is flying into the US this week. He passed his stallion testing and is now has his lifetime license - so we will try to put pony foals on the ground from him and competing him in the US - he's done very well in Germany.

We are also spending a few years preparing our mares for the Mare Performance tests and will only breed one this year. If anyone is looking for a lease on a fabulous young mare - proven breeder (her first foal was this year's colt champion) and she scored 102 at her approval - PM me and I'll provide information on her. She is extremely well bred and a sabino chestnut that threw alot of chrome on the colt. Bred with one large straw of 10 year old frozen semen!

We now have our own covered arena and just want to breed a little less and ride a little more and YIKES!!!! take a few more vacations..........
    Last edited by ise@ssl; Nov. 27, 2006 at 02:20 PM.

I keep myself limited to one baby and our stallion. I don't breed another until that one baby is sold. (definitely a very small scale breeder) This is more because I have a full time non-horsey job to which I must commute an hour each way, my horses are not at home (well, not at my home) and with training and campaigning the stallion, I don't have oddles of time to dedicate to multiple foals requiring attention and consistent handling.

If I had the horses in my own backyard (Mr SL and I are in the process of looking for just the right set up) I would definietley look at doubling my foal production, but again I still have the other limiting factors of work and stallion campaigning.

Just my situation.
    Cindy Geres

Home of Foxwind SL (Cdn Trakehner and Cdn Sport Horse Approved)
    www.sprucelane.net

I am just getting back into riding shape and have started riding and breaking again (slowly though as I am not as strong yet as I should be) I can't wait to show again. I stopped breeding due to time constraints and no "staff" it is hard to do 11 stalls and all the care on your own daily along with foaling, breaking, and running stallions for collection - along with a normal family and job! So I am going back to riding and competing for now and enjoying the guys I still have. I am riding my young stallion and look forward to competing him. I have no idea if I would ever want to go through the whole "standing at stud" thing to other peoples mares but for now he is just my riding horse and as quiet as a gelding.

I ran for collections for a couple years and it was too much on my schedule, I am keeping my last foal from my older stallion that is now in GA. I plan on showing Larry, Unico and Cat next spring

Wink Mini

Quote Originally Posted by camohn View Post
    Since our stallion died last month I am cutting back the mare band. I am not keeping 7 broodmares with no stallion here. I have 6 now plus a coming 3 YO filly. And I plan to keep one of this year's weanling fillies. So.....2 are to be sold.One TB sold already/leaves in January and the other a SO with 2 stallions (a WB and a TB) is interested in trading stud fees for the Paint mare...so that holds a good possibility. Now if I can only find a home for our dratted mini all will be well!!! For the umpteenth time I got up to make coffee this morning he was looking at me in the kitchen window.
    OH!! he is adorable!!! I'd take him in a second if you were a lot closer-----you'd be packing him up tonight!! ha ha ha. He is so cute!!!!!

You have some really pretty horses!!! Keep strong!!
    *Better to have loved than to have never loved at all.*
    ALWAYS Blessings NEVER losses.

This is a very interesting topic Bernie. We didn’t breed for the last two years because we were waiting for Lourdess to mature. We are very very excited about what she will produce. In the interim, though we’ve had Commander in training with Elly for over a year now, he is just a baby - learning manners, so we've had nothing to complete and nothing to present.

We’ve spent the past few months focused on the Dobermans, finishing the two boys and breeding a litter.

One problem we have with breeding the horses is that finding good trainers capable of properly starting young horses is a challenge… an expensive challenge, that requires total commitment from all concerned, owners and trainers alike. We have Elly, but she only has so many stalls and we have fixed financial resources. Because of the commitment involved, I find that we are much more cautious about committing to future generations, unless they will be truly spectacular.

I will be a new breeder in '07, and I can't wait!! I've been posting a lot on this board and others to try and learn as much as possible. I've been riding and showing for 25+ years and I'm finally going to breed my own!! It's very excited to me and I can't wait.

I figure I will breed one to two mares a year, probably skipping every other year, depending on how the foals sell. Unless we wind up buying a lot of property I can't see doing much more than that.

I think it is fairly safe to say I was a one season wonder! Although none of mine were world beaters, they were all healthy and happy critters and then the move came... and not having been in business mode....well let's just say I am glad I have a lot of shirts...because I lost a few on that venture...

Downsized, I have two mares and one colt from this year. Next year, I am not sure.

Increased travelling, more time away from home, does not lend itself to being a responsible breeder. I may try again, undecided as yet.

I also may just enjoy what I have for a while. I like them as individuals, and all have excellent temperaments, and I probably have more than I will ever need for the rest of my days, so why contribute to what others may consider "delinquincy".

Bottom line, I had fun and had no health problems, so perhaps I should quit while I am ahead..

I'm actually just heating up in the breeding department.

I currently only have one broodie - Riva (Rampal) who is currently in foal to Routinier (Rhodiamant/Inschallah) - but I am looking into getting another broodie for next year and then slowly growing. I don't want more than 5 at a maximum ever tho. I do everything myself, with some help during foal watch. more than 5 would completely kill me.

Guess we're one of the ones 'throwing in the towel' so to speak. After over 20 years in the business we've got the stallion for sale and have downsized the rest of the herd - only have a couple more to find homes for.

Our plan was to breed horses in retirement but we didn't plan on health issues which would preclude this. My husband is a disabled vet - becoming worse as he ages; I have PPS and that, too, is getting worse. Standing a stallion and raising babies takes a certain amount of physical prowess and we just no longer can do all of it. It was a hard fact to face but we've put a positive spin on it.

With neither of our kids wanting to carry on our successful breeding operation and with both of us having bad legs we've turned to driving.... and are totally addicted! I always said when I could no longer ride I'd drive - just never thought it would be so much fun

We've had a good run as breeders, though. We've produced 3 licensed stallions and trained two of them through FEI. Our first homebred stallion, Pikor, produced 80% Premium Foals; Welt Marke, a 2nd generation homebred, has produced 100% Premium Foals and 100% Premium Mares. We've won too many Championships at breed and dressage shows to count. Along the way we've made many, many good friends and through the babies we've sold and outside mares we've bred we have quite an extended 'family'

The market has never totally never recovered after 9/11 and there appear to be more horses than buyers these days. And everyone wants a bargain. Very few buyers appreciate the cost of producing a quality youngster who has been properly maintained and handled. It's a good time to get out.

But then we'll still have some frozen semen in the tank and one or two Champion mares Might be fun to just breed an occasional foal down the road....
    Pat Belskie - ASHEMONT Farm

http://www.ashemont.com
    Ashemont2@gmail.com