The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    Don't worry, it won't become a habit, I like the Tootsie Rolls too much myself, LOL. Frankly I was surprised they liked them. On the other hand I'm not too concerned with them being "not all that healthy" when you consider the size of a Tootsie vs. a horse. Can't imagine Peeps are at the top of the nutrition list either!

No you didn't just say Peeps are not healthy!!! Why, why, they are made from eggs- and sugar of course, but stilllllll--PEEPS are HEATHLY. Why? B/C they make your horses do goofy stuff for you to laugh at and they say laughter is the best medicine. So there.Na-na-na=na boo boo.
    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

I don't know a darn thing about Fox Hunting ... and I live in the heart of Hunt Country USA .

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

Quote Originally Posted by JoZ View Post
    Don't worry, it won't become a habit, I like the Tootsie Rolls too much myself, LOL. Frankly I was surprised they liked them. On the other hand I'm not too concerned with them being "not all that healthy" when you consider the size of a Tootsie vs. a horse. Can't imagine Peeps are at the top of the nutrition list either!
    They are at the top of the list of a horse's MENTAL nutrtition. Here's how it works. There's a blood brain barrier, right? And you need energy to think and process and learn, right? And sugar is energy, right? So you need a lot of energy to make it across the blood brain barrier so your brain gets enough sugar to do its job. 5-6 peeps seem to do it for Ted.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I think Ted would MUCH prefer 50-60.

nightsong, you are absolutely correct. But then Ted's brainpower would far exceed mine, and that could be dangerous.

Plus, we had a serious Peep Crisis last year after Easter, and I just can't bear the thought of another round of peep-withdrawal-induced DTs.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

what does the term "daisy cutter" mean? is it good or bad?

sometimes i think i know when it means then someone uses it in a different situation and i'm all lost again.

Quote Originally Posted by myhorsefaith View Post

sometimes i think i know when it means then someone uses it in a different situation and i'm all lost again.
    "Daisy cutter" is a term to describe a very good mover in the Hunter world. They have hardly any knee action OR, their feet sweep across the ground so effortlessly that it looks like they could cut the tops off of daisies with their toes.
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

Quote Originally Posted by myhorsefaith View Post
    Usually it's used to describe good movement on hunters. Think back to the pictures of the hunter trot vs. the dressage trot that showed the differing knee action.... The hunter trot has long and low sweeping action (daisy cutter) as opposed to a dressage horse who lifts its foot with more of a piston-type action (daisy stomper)

Quote Originally Posted by Zig View Post
    Umm... from the daughter of a rocket scientist, we have the admission that she barely knows her right from her left... thank god for the L on the left hand.

I also forget which side the mane should be on... again... a right left issue...
    I only seem to have hard time with left & right if I have to decide which is which rather quickly . But I do know which hand is my left and right. Its much easier for me to relate left & right when riding by refering to them as (example) inside leg/hand or outside leg/hand. If you get what I mean??

As for the mane,
    It should always lay on or be braided on the right side. The horse's left and right are the same as your left and right if you are facing the same direction as they are (like if you both are facing a wall, not face to face). Or just remember the side of the mane goes on the same side you first attach your girth too (which should be the right side).

Now my question is.......who and why decided the mane should lay on the right side??

So, I know this thread is way down there on the list of recent postings, but I thought of another one.

What is the difference between a dress sheet and a cooler?
    God forbid that I go to a heaven in which there are no horses

As for the mane,
    It should always lay on or be braided on the right side. The horse's left and right are the same as your left and right if you are facing the same direction as they are (like if you both are facing a wall, not face to face). Or just remember the side of the mane goes on the same side you first attach your girth too (which should be the right side).

Now my question is.......who and why decided the mane should lay on the right side??

Ummm... not always should the mane be on the right. Somtimes it is breed specific. Depends on what type of show you are going to.

My QH's mane is on the left. If he goes to a hunter (non-AQHA) show, it gets braided on the right. If he does QH stuff, it stays on the left.
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

To whomever posted the quote: "rise and fall with the leg on the wall". You changed a little girls life today!!! I was giving a friends daughter a lesson. Diagonals have been a HUGE problem.

Your quote made it happen!
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

Quote Originally Posted by lotsospots View Post
    And THIS, my friends, is why Pony Club was invented!! Well not exactly, but this is all stuff that is covered in Stable Management!! They really should have PC for adults!
    Some states have Old Peoples Pony Club.

I want one here!!

I can't tell my leads when loping w/o looking down.

Also can't give a shot-I'm always the girl that has to hold the horse!

I have no clue what a Pelham is. A bit, a bridle, what?

I can put together a bridle w/o thinking about it, and had to teach my mama how to wrap legs. I do a very neat French braid on manes and tails too.
    Devil Pup 13 May 2010
    Veni, vidi, nates calce concidi
    Molly~4yo Blue Heeler & Dakota Nov 09 Baby Heeler

I have no clue what a Pelham is. A bit, a bridle, what?
    It's a bit It looks like this: http://www.thesaddleryshop.co.uk/ima...am-port-lg.jpg

Your cheek pieces attach to the top rings, your snaffle rein attaches to the ring by the mouthpiece, and your curb rein attaches to the bottom ring.

A bridle that was made specifically for this kind of bit could be called a pelham bridle.

Quote Originally Posted by shmeg<33 View Post
    I suck at being able to tell a horse with good conformation vs. bad conformation. hehe. Oh and I often get the parts of the leg mixed up...there are more. Just cant think if them right now
    oh this is my biggest thing too. And if a horse is a nice mover or a not so nice mover. I recently was helping a friend out by recommending my trainer help her sell him. Well, I thought he was an ok/cute mover; nothing A caliber but cute. MY trainer said no no no hes got too much knee action. I feel like an ass.
    "to each his own..."

just a horse obsessed girl who finds blogging way more fun than being an adult...
    http://equinerainman274.wordpress.com/

I also cant for the life figure out how to do a flying lead change. My trainer tells me all the time and the mare I ride is pretty auto about it so I can never figure out if Im asking right or not...so embarrassing.
    "to each his own..."

just a horse obsessed girl who finds blogging way more fun than being an adult...
    http://equinerainman274.wordpress.com/

I thought of another--what is the difference between "chaps" and "chinks"?

Quote Originally Posted by zagafi View Post
    I thought of another--what is the difference between "chaps" and "chinks"?
    This goes over the differences pretty well, I think

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaps

Quote Originally Posted by To the MAX View Post
    "Daisy cutter" is a term to describe a very good mover in the Hunter world. They have hardly any knee action OR, their feet sweep across the ground so effortlessly that it looks like they could cut the tops off of daisies with their toes.
    Or, very "bad" movement in the Arab world (we like Action ) Not bad as in lame mind you, just bad as in undesireable, not show quality, not breed standard.

ET can't tell left from right d/t dyslexia (thank goodness for the L on the left hand) I have "this" side and "that" side when I'm thinking of myself. Funnily enough I get distal, dorsal, plantar, palmar, medial, lateral, oblique etc. Just not left or right! ha ha ha.
    "And remember-if it gets really bad, there's always tequila..." J.P.

No horse should be Peepless