The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I just came back over here today; saw your latest post, War Admiral, and though I am new and basically a stranger to you all, my heart is with you in your time of trouble...and I send you my supporting thoughts and strong wishes for things to turn around for you....As a newbie, I am not sure what a 'jingle' is, but am thinking it must be something like the sound of carriage bells--as a sign of a wish for good results?
    I do drive-minis only--though I've been driving for nearly 22 years, I came to 'real' driving late in life(have always trained my own, which I had done for MANY years with my riding horses, and went the 'breed show' route for quite a while), and do it alone, so have to stick with something 'safer'. Horses have been,and still are, my life and my joy-so I most certainly can relate to how you are feeling now-as I imagine most here also can...
    My very best wishes to you,
    Margo

Thanks so much Margo. Welcome to COTH BTW!

*has stopped crying now*

So here's a link to an explanation about COTH jingles.
    http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...errerid=103319

Got to run out and tuck the old man in bed now.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Oh, hell, that sucks, War Admiral!
    Any hope that you can apply for unemployment? It doesn't cover much (in my experience, and yep, I've been there, twice), but it's better than nothing at all...
    Seriously, feel free to whine - it's definitely a whine (and cry)- worthy thing to have happen.

I really wish I could offer something more than just moral support right now - if I had my own place, I'd be BEGGING you to let me put Avery up for a while... Min would probably enjoy having a buddy his own age (I think he sometimes finds 2yo Sully a pain in the youknowwhat...)
    I'll be away from the computer for the rest of the evening, but if you want somebody to vent to, feel free to PM me - I'll make sure I get to the library tommorrow to check.

Jingling for good things for you, girl!

Sending loads of jingles from the gang in NC. Please check your PM's.
    Pat Belskie - ASHEMONT Farm

http://www.ashemont.com
    Ashemont2@gmail.com

Default jingling for you

I also sent you a PM.
    Beth Davidson
    Black Dog Farm Connemaras & Sport Horses
    http://blackdogconnemara.com
    visit my blog: http://ponyeventer.blogspot.com

Thanks for all the kind words everyone, much appreciated. Blessings to those who PM'd me - you all rock... My goal is to take today off from worrying about it and just enjoy my beloved best friend the Ave-man and count the blessings of the day... Will PM you all back over the weekend... But didn't want to fail to express my gratitude!!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Hope you have a good weekend. You are in a place most of us dread to be and we wish you the very best. Let me know if we can help.
    Beth Davidson
    Black Dog Farm Connemaras & Sport Horses
    http://blackdogconnemara.com
    visit my blog: http://ponyeventer.blogspot.com

Question Now may be the time!

War Admiral,
    As most would agree here, ( we all enjoy ) and all believe you a very good writer! . Maybe it is the time to write more of your stories and follow a true talent.
    I also have walked in your shoes and have gotten through it ! Write, it might help.....who knows you may find what you were meant to do . Send your stories to horse magazines , they just may publish them and send you a cheque !
    If you need an illustrator just PM, maybe I can help !

Much jingles to you and Avery!!!

Carriage Ponies
    Shetland Ponies are like potato chips, you cannot have just ONE !
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/36069756@N00/
    PonyPics Carriage Ponies

Default Oh, goodness

First of all, your story is wonderful. I too have an old man whom I regularly ask "Which way today, fellow?" and receive the most definitive answers and I admit I enjoy those rides above all others. My young one is quite willing to offer opinions when asked (and even when not asked) but like most kids needs to be reined in as he has NO idea of the consequences of his choices yet! Time will bring wisdom.

But then there was this other story- the one about a truly awful thing that has happened to you and how precarious your situation has become. That story made me feel very upset and wish there was something I could do from the opposite end of the country. I have nowhere to stash your horse (and shipping would cost more than either of us are currently making) but I sure wish I did. Instead I will go dig a curb chain out of the storage in which it rusts, clean it off a bit, and jingle it for you. Especially now that I finally know what that means! LOL

On a more helpful note, can you work off his board at the barn for this month? You might have time to now that you don't have a day job.
    Hey look, I joined ANOTHER forum! And you thought horses were addictive.

The original story made me smile--I, too, have an old and wise Thoroughbred gelding and he has his one spot (an old wagon with wheels to the side of the trail) on our trails that he always spooks, no matter what. It's his bit of fun and I think he likes to remind me that it is only by his good grace that he's such a dependable and honest mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Carriage Ponies View Post
    If you need an illustrator just PM, maybe
    And I'm an editor--always happy to look something over.

Also, if you need any horse care supplies, is there a local feed store that we can give a call? I'd be happy to help with something on that end (feed, hay, etc). I think you board at a co-op and it can be tough when you have to go out and buy your supplies. PM me if you feel more comfortable doing it that way.
    Kelly Soldavin Harvest Moon Farm
    www.harvestmoonfarmpa.com

Geeze, you guys, MAKE me cry on a Sunday morning!!

Y'all rock, you really do... Thank you so much.

HobbyHorse - the thing I loff the most about Avery is his strict sense of quid pro quo. He understands he has to EARN his indulgences, and once he understands what the rules are for any particular huuuuuge favor I'm granting him (e.g. "I'll turn you loose in the big field around the barn provided you don't go out of my sight, don't pester passing horses, and come to me IMMEDIATELY when called"), he follows them impeccably. SUCH a good horse. I've GOT to find a way to keep him.

I'll have to think about that book proposal... Actually I think the mad adventures of my old War Admiral gelding (he who jumped the judge and steward in their chairs on the outside course, among countless other wild and woolly escapades) make for a MUCH funnier story, which I actually have toyed with writing up from time to time... In any event it'll have to get back-burnered for the moment since the immediate problems have to get solved first! But Kelly and Carriage Ponies, you have definitely given me something to think about, and I am incredibly grateful to to both of you!!

Co-op unfortunately became full board when the barn management changed. (At least it's still cheap though!) The new BM has a full-time employee so not much chance of working off ALL my board but if I help with Special Projects I can get something of a break. I'm also *toying* with giving up my ammy status for a year, can't quite bring myself to do it... I'm about to go post on OC about how to put up electric fence... New BM has all the stuff to make temporary electric fencing for a couple more pastures, but neither she nor I know how to put it up... I'll get paid in board discounts for helping with that.

So right now I'm frantically dividing my time among my 2 part-time jobs (web content provision), trying to get more freelance work, putting stuff on Ebay, and revising resume (special thanks to Melissa for the help on that! COTHers are amazing!! ).

Avery and I did have a nice lazy day yesterday though. When I got to the barn I was feeling unambitious so I just brought him up and turned him loose to graze in the GOOD grass, parked a chair in the sun, and cleaned and oiled ALL my tack - harness, saddles, bridles, halters, leads and boots!

Many, many thanks to all y'all for the jingles... Keep 'em coming please!

Loff from Liz and Avery

Geez WA... you go off-list for a day or so and look what happens. Jingling madly up here in NJ for you and the Ave-man and knowing you can make it work.

Don't know how it works with books, but also consider approaching magazines etc with proposals for a column. Most of the driving mags can't afford much, but perhaps some of the others can be more openhanded. Look into you local newspaper as well. There are several women up here making at least some kind of a living doing horse articles for local papers and magazines. You have a foot in so many horse worlds you'd at least get the facts right .

{{{{{HUGS}}}}} and many jingles from all of us up in NJ.

Oh War Admiral, what a pickle to deal with and I'm so sorry it happened. I am glad you had a nice lazy day w/ Avery yesterday and hope it helped your soul.

I completely understand your need to hang onto him. I'm in week #2 of rehabbing a pulled back muscle, at least that is Diagnosis A from the Doc. It's bothersome to not be able to ride or even have the strength to linger in the barn at feeding time but I'm fortunate in that I can see all my horses from the house. That does a lot to keep my head cool.

Hope you feel better soon, SLW.

Unfortunately I'm afraid I'm losing hope fast. So before I put him up on the Giveaways Forum, please let me ask if any of you know a KINDLY driving trainer who needs an absolutely bombproof lesson horse?? NOT AN AD, I will give him gratis to the right person, but would ideally loff for him to go to an experienced driver.

My heart is breaking. I never expected this to happen. I'm so scared.

Default How about...

a temporary agency. When my first husband decided he no longer wanted a wife and kids and up and left I was more than a little panicked about keeping house, children and horses. It was a very dark time and I did a lot of jobs I hated -- I cleaned houses, I did data entry, etc. -- but I got to keep all the things that mattered and eventually got a temp assignment that turned into a nice regular job and things turned around. At this time of year, temp agencies are desperate for people with any skills -- can you answer the phone? and it is a good time to get in with one.

Good luck and best wishes for a happy outcome!!!
    Kate

So sorry, War Admiral! If it comes to it, we'll find space for Avery here, but I know things will turn around for you. I second the temp agency idea. Both John and I have had excellent luck there, and have wound up with good permanent jobs out of temporary situations. With your skills I know you'll get some interesting offers.

Have you rummaged around on Monster.com? I don't find it useful in terms of actual jobfinding, but it gives me ideas and a sense of what is wanted in the market place...

Jingles, jingles, jingles...

Dale

Jingling from the Eastern Shore!

(Hell, I bought a curb chain this weekend, just so I can jingle it for you and Avery! - So you can't give up yet! )

I third the temp agency idea! I did temp work for two years and loved it, finally got a great steady job out of it last year. It keeps the bills paid! At least the important ones like horse food. And it pays weekly so you'd get money fast.

Still jingling like a gypsy,
    Leia
    Hey look, I joined ANOTHER forum! And you thought horses were addictive.

There is only one temp agency in town. I registered with them the last time I was unemployed. In 8 months they called me for a job exactly...

once.

Many jingles, War Admiral.

I loved your initial story and was so sorry to read the rest and your post in giveaways.

I have to second (third? fourth?) what others have said: Write!!!

As far as being suddenly unemployed (three days notice?! B*****ds!!!), this is a good time of year for it, as there are more seasonal retail jobs available needing to be filled imediately.

All best thoughts and jingles to you from Vermont.