The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default A Gentlemen's Agreement.

Actually got the Avemaster out for a little walk down the road today.

The Grand One is SO epically spoiled nowadays that, on occasion, I stop at the end of the driveway and ask him which direction HE would like to drive today, just for a treat. (...And for the record, no, he never EVER says "back to the barn please!" If he did, I wouldn't grant him this privilege.)

Today he decided that, in the interest of getting to visit other horses, he was brave enough to face the Terrifying German Shepherd Attack Dogs (who are of course penned, but Lordy do they kick up a racket), so we proceeded in that direction at his request.

Once you get past those dogs, you go on down the road a piece and there's a cute little redneck farmette with 3 horses and two very, very, VERY old farm dawgs. They are adorable - grey muzzles, arthritis, very slow, a little shaky on their pegs.

Avery and these two elderly dogs have seemingly arrived at a gentlemen's agreement. It goes something like this.

Dogs: "We promise not to chase or hurt you, so long as you will act just a little bit scared of us. We ain't the dawgs we used to be, but we still do our job and protect our property as best we can."

Avery: "Well, boys, that deal there suits this old horse just fine. I'm not as fast as I used to be, either, and I'm kinda creaky too. So you all just go on ahead and make a little bit of noise and I'll skitter and be on my way down the road. Don't scare my human, though, she's chicken."

And so the brave old dogs creak heroically out to the end of their driveway and manfully go "ROWF!" exactly once with their toothless old jaws. Avery sticks his nose in the air and takes exactly ONE sideways step. The dogs then retreat at leisure and Avery continues contentedly down the road, honor having been satisfied by all parties.

The phrase "three one-legged men in an asp-kicking contest" does in fact spring to mind. We've been doing this little Civil War Reenactment *every* time we pass this way, and it never fails to crack me up.

God bless all our old dear ones!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Thanks for sharing that story... I can just see it Sometimes our animals are far wiser than we are, huh?
    Pat Belskie - ASHEMONT Farm

http://www.ashemont.com
    Ashemont2@gmail.com

LOL, perfect!! The Toby Keith song "as Good as I once was" was the background music once I got to the sentence where you first mention "gentlemens agreement."

Sounds like a peaceful drive all and all.

Thanks guys.

Not familiar with that song, I'll have to check it out!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Here you go WA. And give that grand old guy a carrot from us!

"As Good As I Once Was"

She said, "I'e seen you in here before."
    I said, "I've been here a time or two."
    She said, "Hello, my name is Bobby Jo
    Meet my twin sister Betty Lou
    And we're both feeling kinda wild tonight
    And you're the only cowboy in this place
    And if you're up for a rodeo
    We'll put a big Texas smile on your face"

I said, "Girls,"

[Chorus]
    I ain't as good as I once was
    I got a few years on me now
    But there was a time back in my prime
    When I could really lay it down
    And if you need some love tonight
    Then I might have just enough
    But I'm as good once as I ever was

I still hang out with my best friend dave
    Ive known him since we were kids at school
    Last night he had a few shots
    Got in a tight spot hustlin' a game of pool
    With a couple of redneck boys
    One great big bad biker man
    I heard David yell across the room
    "Hey buddy, how 'bout a helping hand."

I said, "Dave,"

[Chorus]
    My how the years have flown
    But there was a time back in my prime
    When I could really hold my own
    But if you wanna fight tonight
    Guess thouse boys dont look all that tough

I used to be hell on wheels
    Back when I was younger man
    Now my body says, "You can't do this boy"
    But my pride says, "Oh, yes you can

Thats just the cold hard truth
    I still throw a few back, talk a little smack
    When I'm feelin bullet proof
    So don't double dog dare me now
    'Cause I'd have to call your bluff

Maybe not be good as I once was

Awww thanks DNJ!!!

I'm not really a dog person - anyone know what toothless ol' dawgs can eat, if one were of a mind to give them a Christmas pressie?? (Nice way to get to know the owner, I'm thinking, just drop by & tell this story...)

Default Re: a gentlemen's agreement...

What a great story; I had a wonderful chuckle and a superb 'mind picture'--thanks for sharing!

Margo

Glad you liked. Welcome to COTH!! Do you drive?

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Awww thanks DNJ!!!

I'm not really a dog person - anyone know what toothless ol' dawgs can eat, if one were of a mind to give them a Christmas pressie?? (Nice way to get to know the owner, I'm thinking, just drop by & tell this story...)
    WA, I've been in love with Avery ever since I first found this board and read about his MoNeighs! He really is a fantastic horse.

Since I've seen a few dogs through the toothless stages myself - Just about every dog I've ever met LOVES hotdogs - and for the old and tooth deprived, they're pretty gummable.
    Of course, if you want to get really fancy about it, I can probably get you a friend's recipe for (brace yourself) chicken liver "brownies" - the pups love those, if you'd want to bake for the oldsters...

And so the brave old dogs creak heroically out to the end of their driveway and manfully go "ROWF!" exactly once with their toothless old jaws. Avery sticks his nose in the air and takes exactly ONE sideways step. The dogs then retreat at leisure and Avery continues contentedly down the road, honor having been satisfied by all parties.
    What a sweet story, WA. Thanks for the day-brightener. I'm the owner of young horses (that I expect to grow old with) and a geriatric gentleman Doberman who is trying hard to cling to his glory days when he could run like the wind and no squirrel in his yard was safe...

Awww thanks DNJ!!!

Canned dog food maybe?? You ought to see if you could get a photo of the hounds coming out to the road to fuss at Avery and give that with the hounds gifts.

Quote Originally Posted by SLW View Post
    Canned dog food maybe?? You ought to see if you could get a photo of the hounds coming out to the road to fuss at Avery and give that with the hounds gifts.
    SLW, that is GENIUS!!!!!! Thank you for the wonderful idea!!!!!

And I loff the hot dogs idea too, bdj, thanks for that! These are redneck hounds, remember, so hot dogs are perfect! Glad you like my Avery stories. I'm always afraid I'm going to get on people's nerves with all that braggin'.

RidesAHaffie - be sure to let your Old One know he is appreciated long-distance by the Old TB and me! We've decided we LIKE old dogs.

Don't you DARE stop posting Avery stories, War Admiral! I'll, I'll.... I don't know what I'll do if you stop posting them, but I'll be terribly upset if I don't get my Avery "fixes"...
    You're just lucky I don't live nearer to GA, or else you'd have to put up with me wanting to come visit the grand old gent!

Default *sniff* Awwww

Actually got the Avemaster out for a little walk down the road today.

The Grand One is SO epically spoiled nowadays that, on occasion, I stop at the end of the driveway and ask him which direction HE would like to drive today, just for a treat. (...And for the record, no, he never EVER says "back to the barn please!" If he did, I wouldn't grant him this privilege.)

God bless all our old dear ones!
    Our dear old ones are the bestestest. I miss my dear oldster Rita with whom I had much the same relationship: some trail days we would come to the fork and I'd say to her "what's YOUR pleasure today?" and she, much the same as Avery, would NEVER EVER choose home or back to the trailer.

In fact if you were lost and counting on her to take you back - bwa ha ha! Yokes on you!

Some of my mostest fondest memories of the trails she took me on.

Seh's been gone 1 yr and 4 days now.

I do miss her. The new horse is a silly young thing yet that has not clue one about making her own choices. The mere suggestion of such causes her heart failure. ("But YOU are the herd boss!! YOU must decide!!")

Many thanks for such a delightful story and good memories.
    Crayola posse ~ Lazer Lemon yellow
    Take time to give...it is too short a day to be selfish. - Ben Franklin

WA, you write so well - I love hearing your Avery stories! Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by nickers View Post
    WA, you write so well - I love hearing your Avery stories! Thanks for sharing!
    Aww thank you so much.

If you wouldn't mind giving a little jingle for him & me at the moment we could sure use it.

We don't have a curb chain handy (Min's never gone in anything but a snaffle), and I'm at work, but will my slightly larger than necessary key collection suffice?

BIG Jingles (and positive thoughts) from the Eastern Shore!

Much obliged, bdj!!

Jingles from NJ - but hoping you no longer need them

*sends DNJ a big huge hug* Thank you..... Avery's in roaring good form but the company I was working for shut its doors and gave us all a grandiose 3 DAYS of severance pay and I literally can't afford rent and board this month let alone food or utilities... All week long I've been thinking "Do I put him on the Giveaways Forum just to be sure he's safe..." Can't quite bring myself to do it yet, I'm a bitter-ender and would really LITERALLY rather end up in a Homeless Shelter than lose this horse... But I really, really, REALLY need a miracle if anyone has any spare ones about! My heart is just breaking and I don't know what to do.

Sorry to whine. I just can't keep my "game face" on any more. At least over here in the Driving forum not too many people will notice. Thanks for listening.