The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Default Anti-Horse Slaughter for Meat...a simple argument.

The next time you're hearing, "but in other parts of the world, they eat horse...just who do you Americans think you are to tell us what to eat" or some such euro-trash wanna-be babble.

Smile, and ask "How would you feel about your dog being stolen and sold for dogmeat for shipment to China?"

Think of all the meat, excuse me, unwanted dogs, needing a home, who are euthanized every year...all that meat that the Chinese would love to have going to waste. Each animal shelter could have an butcher shop in the back getting Fluffy and Lassie ready for the Peking market. No more unwanted dogs....Boxer Barbecue, Poodle Poi, literal Hot Dogs.

Don't forget, other areas in the world find cat to be mighty tasty too! How ethnocentric for Americans to keep these "other cultures" tastes in meat from accessing our unwanted kitties...new meaning to "Kitten Chow".

There's no difference, it's still slaughter, somehow I figure the same euro-trash who brings their dog into the restaurant won't be so quick to find eating Fritz and Fi-fi is a good idea...can you say, "Hypocrite!"?

I have no problem with slaughtering cats and dogs for shipment over seas lot better then killing them just to get rid of them like we do now. If theres a way to do it at a profit and someone wants to get into the business then I'd say go for it. I don't like the idea of stolen ones being used but I don't like the idea of any animal being stolen and sold for meat incliuding cattle, hogs, etc. But thats hardly a reason to ban eating meat. If we outlawed evertything thats stolen virtually everything would be against the law.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

I can't say that the consumption of cats and dogs affects me much. It was common knowledge when I was little that certain ethnic groups around us consumed dogs. Several days before returning from repat one year, our dog escaped from the caretaker's yard. We found him a couple weeks later in one of those ethnic camps, and he was FAT! My dad paid them for the dog (you can't just walk off with dinner), and that was that. It was just one of those things. Now, the way they handle the slaughter of their animals is a different issue, and it leaves a lot to be desired. Cruelty abounds in those countries.
    Jer 29: 11-13

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    The next time you're hearing, "but in other parts of the world, they eat horse...just who do you Americans think you are to tell us what to eat" or some such euro-trash wanna-be babble.

There's no difference, it's still slaughter, somehow I figure the same euro-trash who brings their dog into the restaurant won't be so quick to find eating Fritz and Fi-fi is a good idea...can you say, "Hypocrite!"?
    Maybe if you stop with the "euro-trash" statement, people would also take you more seriously & make you look & sound less like the "ugly American" that is so prevalent all over the World! Being from Europe (originally) I personnaly take great offence to generalized statements like this, as I expect you to take offense to the term "ugly American"!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Smile, and ask "How would you feel about your dog being stolen and sold for dogmeat for shipment to China?"

Think of all the meat, excuse me, unwanted dogs, needing a home, who are euthanized every year...all that meat that the Chinese would love to have going to waste. Each animal shelter could have an butcher shop in the back getting Fluffy and Lassie ready for the Peking market. No more unwanted dogs....Boxer Barbecue, Poodle Poi, literal Hot Dogs.

Don't forget, other areas in the world find cat to be mighty tasty too! How ethnocentric for Americans to keep these "other cultures" tastes in meat from accessing our unwanted kitties...new meaning to "Kitten Chow".

I'm with County & others - I think it would be a fine idea to ship the BODIES to another country for consumption. The only problem I have with eating dogs & cats is that those countries will not eat them unless they are BEATEN to death because the stress of being beaten supposedly tenderizes & flavorizes the meat. Now THAT I object to.

Another Euro-Trash here fighting for the American horses.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

It's not common to ship live animals for consumption because of the quarantines on live stock moving from country to country.
    Not to mention that many places that consume dogs also easily raise what they need. Dogs don't require acreage and grass type feeds...things these countries don't have in abundance. In Europe...they're much smaller and much heavier populated than we are here. It's not just 'our' horses they're eating...they do butcher their own for consumption also. But the supply might not meet the demand.
    People from Europe aren't Euro-trash for what they eat. Just because many of us wouldn't eat horsemeat (or dog meat or whatever) doesn't make those who eat it trash. They aren't stealing our horses for heaven's sake. There aren't planes landing with horse rustlers attacking our farms for their dinner tables. If you don't want our horses going to slaughter for European meat sales...get your friends and yourselves down to the auctions and purchase those animals before the kill buyers do. It won't stop the slaughter of the horses sold directly to kill buyers outside of auction by their owners though.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

This one should be fun to watch. Not only do we have the age-old slaughter debate (and really, do you think you've added anything new? The average third grader knew that arguement already... I really hope you don't consider yourself clever for bringing it up...) but we've thrown in some lovely ethnic trashing as well.. Really, this should be a good one. I think I'll lean back my chair, get out a drink and pop a few cat-flavored chips in my mouth while I watch this one go down... Wait, does that offend you????
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*
    Proud Momma of *Capital Kiss* and Bottle Rocket!

Stop it before the auction - people have got to stop breeding anything and everything. Just because you have a mare doesn't mean it should have babies. All the wonderful "Horselovers" are feeding the slaughter industry. If you don't breed um, there won't be an over abundance for shipping out of the country. Breed what you personnally want to keep, there will always be an over flow for a buyer to buy and then we "STUPID ANIMAL LOVERS" WON'T HAVE TO TAKE IN THE STRAYS AND THE UNWANTED"

Owner of 20 cats - 6 kittens just this past 3 months (mind you all mine are vacinnated and spayed)

Owner of 3 dogs and 5 "hunting dogs" that were reunited with there owners or I found new homes for just this year!

Owner of 9 horses that followed me home.

14 chickens that will never be dinner

3 "Easter bunnies"

and 2 birds that noone wanted

Our county has 4 cat rescue org. 2 dog rescue org. and 4 horse rescue groups. We live in a decent town with generally a good economy yet we can't take care of our animals?

I'm against the whole slaughter business, but I'm also getting tired of people not taking care of their animals and then we are all supposed to rescue these unwanted pets. Tell me where am I supposed to get the money for it? I love my animals and would never get rid of them, but the solution I see starts with the "animal lovers". Maybe if they took care of their animals the slaughter people wouldn't have to come in and do the job for them! If it is done humanely then lets feed the children of the world. Get organized so that at least the starving children of the world can eat eat meat and they don't have to die...

Been wanting to say that for awhile...

OH MAN!
    Someone pass the popcorn already! ... wait... aren't there already, like, a million threads going on RIGHT now on this same subject...

We're going to need more of that fake butter stuff for sure...... damn..
    True North Dressage
    Select Cheval Canadiens for dressage and eventing
    www.TrueNorthDressage.com

Quote Originally Posted by archieflies View Post
    ....and pop a few cat-flavored chips in my mouth while I watch this one go down...
    Tastes just like chicken, right?
    Jer 29: 11-13

American sensibilities say don't eat horse. If that is the majority of opinion it seems reasonable that if we don't find it ok to do it, why is it ok to send American horses overseas to let others eat them? What we are then saying is we don't think it is ok to do here but go ahead overseas where we can't see it. It is the same reasoning that allows child molestors to go overseas to victimize children, out of sight out of mind.

Yes I get that other countries feel differently about eating certain animals. In India eating cows is wrong, but do they send their cows to other countries to be slaughtered? I don't know.

The basic problem here is one of perception, we see horses as pets. Or I should say the majority of people think of horses as pets. Although they used to be a work animal that focus has shifted into more of a companion animal over the last hundred years. If they are companion animals and we look down on those who eat them then we have to STAND BEHIND that idea and not just give it lip service. Don't send horses overseas if that is how we feel. If it is found we as a majority feel differently then reassess. American values seem to be what this country ultimately stands for, if we don't stand behind what we believe what good are we?

Oh hell - why don't we just bring out Jonathan Swift's A Modest Proposal

Don't hate me 'cause I'm part Irish...
    WARNING - Dates on calendar are closer than they appear.

Yup - you're pretty simple all right.

Wassa matter - nothing on tv tonight so you thought you'd purposefully start a train wreck?

Puleeze - come up with something more original next time.

Some people eat cats. Some do not.
    Some people eat dogs. Some do not.
    Some people eat horses. Some do not.
    Some people eat pigs. Some do not.
    Some people eat cows. Some do not.
    Some people eat chickens. Some do not.

Frankly, I'm not at all offended or appalled that other cultures use horses or dogs or cats for meat. Other cultures find my consumption of pork and beef offensive. I'm open minded enough to believe that just because I consider the dog and horse and cat domestic pets doesn't mean other people DON'T have the right to eat them.

So, to me, the OPs argument does not make sense. Of course there are people who eat dogs. That is their cultural heritage, same as mine is chicken, beef and pork.

And this is what I think of most Americans who are all too happy to munch on cow but get up in arms about other animals. Either it is okay to kill animals or it isn't.

I disagree that one animal is "better" than another so I don't eat any.
    Grab mane and kick on!

www.rocksolid-training.com

Quote Originally Posted by PiedPiper View Post
    And this is what I think of most Americans who are all too happy to munch on cow but get up in arms about other animals. Either it is okay to kill animals or it isn't.

I disagree that one animal is "better" than another so I don't eat any.
    Not true! It's not that one animal is "better" than another - it seems sick to me to eat something that has become a pet. I don't eat dog, I don't eat cat and I don't eat anything that I have made a pet of and that includes horse! It's one of the reasons I am not wild about 4-H. You make something a pet and then send it off to slaughter. If people can't see the sickness in that then I really don't know what the world is coming to.

It sickens me to read of people who claim to be horsemen who say it's fine to eat horsemeat! We train them, trust them with our children, they carry us to glory and then we EAT them????? I think not!

I am truly sick of reading post on this supposed horse forum about how it is OK to eat horses.

I stand with Willie Nelson and will quote his recent article: "When horse accepted man onto his back and chose to carry his burdens, it changed the world. Horses have aided mankind through his most arduous and treacherous endeavors, from the sword to the plowshare. Humanity owes an incalculable debt to the horse." and "The most superhuman thing about horses is the contrast between their unearthly strength and inherent gentleness. Humans abuse their power while horses use theirs only for good. I'd rather be a horse."

Quote Originally Posted by darkmoonlady View Post
    It is the same reasoning that allows child molestors to go overseas to victimize children, out of sight out of mind.
    Umm, no, I really don't think its the same reasoning at all. Sorry, good try though.
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*

Quote Originally Posted by kelliope View Post
    It's one of the reasons I am not wild about 4-H. You make something a pet and then send it off to slaughter. If people can't see the sickness in that then I really don't know what the world is coming to.
    And by that reasoning, cows would only be raised by people who don't like cows. America, get ready to become vegitarians, because we're going to have a hard time pulling city folks out of their offices to raise our beef for us. And what to do with all the poor, displaced cattlemen who love their cows and love eating them too??
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*

This thread again? Awesome. I was thinking it had gotten too quiet around here.

Can we talk about TWH Celebration and rollkur, too?

YAY!

(I must say, though, that this is the first thread I've seen so far to fully incorporate insults toward one's culture - ie. EUROTRASH (bzuh? this applies, how?) - into the very first post. Double-awesome. Were I not in full possession of my sophisticated discretion, I'd make some offhanded comment about how such statements are so very redneck. But that would be impolite.)